PDA

View Full Version : Pimp My Garage

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
So we're moving into a 'new' house in the next little bit and I need to fix up the garage.

Currently it is just studs inside so I will have to insulate and drywall everything. Of course then there's things like adding plugs on the walls (110 and 220v), shelfs and storage and building a work bench.

So I'm looking for some advise. Not looking to break the bank or anything.

zj95maxx
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Drill press with an adj. RPM(digital) included.
5 gallon buckets for scrap metal
lights
tv
music

jfowlzj95
02-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Beer fridge.

zj95
02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
lots of lights
heater/cooler
drill press is a must
thick metal top table
220 outlets
air compressor

ajmorell
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
lots of lights
heater/cooler
drill press is a must
thick metal top table
220 outlets
air compressor

I agree with everything else, but especially the more lights part.

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Need some lighting that's for sure.
Don't really need a tv lol.
Music, I'm thinking about a cheapie used PC to be the shop PC and just put my mp3 on it.

So far, I need to drywall and insulate it, plugs on every wall, work bench with a steel top, shelfs and cabinets to store stuff, and coat the floor with something to keep grease off.

As for tools: compressor (nice size one if I can find a deal), drill press, band saw, 220v welder, bench grinder, vise, 4.5" grinder (maybe a 9" too), electric drill.....think that will do me for a bit.

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Beer fridge.

:smt041
How could I forget that.

BigDaveZJ
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Pegboard is nice to have as well.

As for the computer, I plan on doing the same thing at some point, be nice to have a dedicated garage PC so I don't have to haul one of my laptops out there.

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Pegboard is nice to have as well.

As for the computer, I plan on doing the same thing at some point, be nice to have a dedicated garage PC so I don't have to haul one of my laptops out there.

Yup, same.
I want a lap top though so I'm not chained to the desk all the time using my PC. Maybe I'll just use the PC and buy a new lap top.

BigDaveZJ
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Yup, same.
I want a lap top though so I'm not chained to the desk all the time using my PC. Maybe I'll just use the PC and buy a new lap top.

I was leaning towards the PC mainly for longevity. Want to mount the tower out of the way in a place I could keep relatively clean, then find a cheapo LCD monitor and hang it on the wall.

ajmorell
02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I think you would be better of with a CRT. They are easier to keep clean and will take a hell of a lot more abuse.

nate
02-20-2008, 02:31 AM
It's 120v and 240v. 110 and 220 are used across the pond, not in the U.S.

2jeepsforus
02-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Try some flourescent lights with a cold weather ballast, if you don't have a heating source. Hang them by chains as low as possible. They are brighter than normal bulbs and cost less to run.

White walls are nice and would really help to illuminate a dark place.

I still have studs showing and no insulation, so it takes 2 hours to heat the three bay with the space heater :pissed:

violatedppl
02-20-2008, 04:48 AM
really a 9inch grinder, what for?? we have them at school and I hate them, to big to us on anything that would ever go on a jeep, much less your basic garage metal fab. but thats just my opinion. And for shelves try and find businesses who are closing down and have speed racks like home depot they work great for shelving as they run about the whole lenght of the garage. and if you setting up a large Air compressor pipe the garage with multple outlets, 2 short cords are easier to work with than one long one. and old solid doors make good work bench tops.

ILikeMud
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm unsure if I'll be painting the walls. Might just tape the seams and leave it be.

9" grinder I've used for cutting large piece of plates, it's kind of nice but not really needed.

ILikeMud
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Also I'd like a wood work bench and a smaller steel bench/table for welding on.

AprilzWarrior
02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Lowes had the best prices on Flouresent lighting when I installed them into my shop.

Hard mounted lights as well and corded drop lights are nice to have. No Halogen, sucks way too much juice.

Tunes, start asking your friends for old speakers and such, Ive never paid for any of mine, Ive got 5 - 12"S, 2 Sats, 2 - 10"s, 5 disk changer, and Reciever all for free just over time.

Fridge, if the one in the house is too far away then get one. Keeps the house cleaner, and the woman will like the extra food storage.

Outlets, sometimes you can have TOO many and over load breakers. How about a Reel that you can spool out to retract when not in use.

Air, bar none the fastest way to get shit done. No Craftsmen compressors, they ALL are shitty oiless. Dont waste your $$. I personally run a Husky Belt Driven, its there biggest one, industrial size. Had it for YEARS ! That makes it pay for itself mind you.

Dont piss off the neighbors with all your noise.

:smt033

ILikeMud
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Now that I think about it with my parents moving also this year, I might get a beer fridge for free, SCORE!

OverkillZJ
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Lots and lots of florescent lights, hardly costs anything to run and throws lots of nice wite light, hang extra's over the workbench where you'll be setting gears and what not.

Outlets: overwire. You can't really have too many outlets, it's more a convenience thing than a "plug everything in" thing. I have 6 different double-boxes around the garage, but each one has two circuits (c1 on left, c2 on right, consitently across the boxes.) - that way you know if you're running a chop call on c1, you might not want your buddy using an angle grinder on c2.

If you don't have an A/C yet, try to get a 220, mine's tied onto the welder 220 line, but I only have a 180 which is wired for 50 amps (not 30 like needed).

Like AW said: wait for the free stereo shit, it pops up! That's the noise my neighbors hate the most; iI even ran wires underground out to the tent where there's some waterproof speakers :D

Dirtdiver
02-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Rolling stools, something to have to sit and think of the next project or the drunk friend can fall off of easier and have a good laugh:smt042

2jeepsforus
02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I forgot to add a stripper pole for those nights that your ambition might not be up to par LOL :D

midwestxj
02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Are you buying this house or renting it?

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
buying it.

SuicideTireZJ
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
You can not underestimate the amount of workbench space and undercounter storage/drawers etc. And a MC calendar. And lots of nudie posters.

OverkillZJ
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I second the workbench space / storage... I'm out of space due to floor standing tools, I'm tearing the garage apart this spring, finishing it (for insulation) and building benches / cabinets around it.

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Yea, I want to think it out as best as possible. Plan where I want things.

rccolacc
02-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Air, bar none the fastest way to get shit done. No Craftsmen compressors, they ALL are shitty oiless. Dont waste your $$. I personally run a Husky Belt Driven, its there biggest one, industrial size. Had it for YEARS ! That makes it pay for itself mind you.

I agree Craftsman aren't the best compressors to buy, but I bought a 110V 12 gallon Craftsman for my small shop and it's an oiled compressor. I think most of their 220V ones are oil-less though. Just wanted to clear that up. For what I do, the 110v oiled compressor does well and isn't too loud. I can run a 1/2 impact on it too which is nice.
I agree too on the flourescent lights at Lowes. The 4' bulbs are way cheaper than any other size, even the 2' ones (for some reason). I got a 4' one that holds 2 bulbs for about $10-$15 at Lowes the other day.
-RC

violatedppl
02-22-2008, 01:14 AM
I learned this one from my dad, when you buy the bulbs write when you bought them on the box cause they have an X-amount of hour garantee life time and if they dont meet it take them back and you get a new bulb, we usually do it when we have a full box. Got to love home depot.

CurtP
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
No open shelves - only cabinets with doors. I had open shelves in my last garage and whenever I would do any grinding, the metal particulate would invariably get all over everything on the shelves. Then when it was humid out, the dust would start rusting. I got tired of all my oil bottles having metal dust all over them. If you do much spray painting, you'll get paint dust over everything too.

Another thing I'll have in my next garage is better ventilation. I'll probably mount a 3-speed squirrel cage in the attic and have them vent out of the back wall of the garage. I'll also have air inlets with filters so when I'm painting, I won't get so much garbage in the paint.

I need more power outlets and air drops too. I also want a bathroom with a shitter and a shower stall. If it's a detached garage, then I want it to have an upstairs with living quarters (the bathroom could be up there). It would be good place to have buddies who come over and stay and not be in your way and a place to get cleaned up before going back into the house (and a place for you to hide when the chick is pissed off at you or is a ranting lunatic).

At my house in Chicago, I was looking at having a dropping floor put in the garage so I could keep two cars down in my finished basement. I stopped when I was looking at $30k to have it done. There was some issues with my homeowner's insurance too - they *really* didn't like the idea (something about you can't have vehicles sharing space with a living area, even though I was going to have that part of the basement partitioned off).

OverkillZJ
02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Curt - that open shelf issue is what's prompting me to re-do my garage... It sucks picking anything up and it being covered in metal particles that just work their way into your skin!

ILikeMud
02-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Yea, good call on close cabinets.

The garage has room for a loft up top. I'll have to look into if I can have a couch or some thing up there. That would be mint!

Krash80
02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
For cabinets, nothing beats an old set of kitchen cabinets...even better if you can get the counter-tops too for a workbench. If you know of anyone remodeling their kitchen, offer to buy their old cabinets.

Everything that can be on a reel should be...it makes cleaning up 100x easier. Have at least one multi-outlet reel on each side of the garage...get heavy duty ones that can handle higher loads so you can run a 9" grinder safely through them. Get a harbor freight or Tractor Supply air hose reel. You can get a 50' 3/8" one for around 70$. Just remember to never let to let go of the hose when it's reeling in...when the hose gets pulled in fast and violently the spring inside will snap when it comes to an abrupt stop...and they're a pain in the ass to fix. Same goes for any reel.
If you don't get drop lights on a reel, buy a rechargeable LED Saber-light with hooks on both ends...one of the most handy work lights ever.

Assuming you don't have room for a lift, get a nice creeper, a nice floor jack, some good jack stands, and a good set of ramps.

An oil changing spill-proof drain pan with a pour-out spout is really nice to have.

Multiple garbage cans, or a big garbage can is a must.

When buying a vice, get the best one you can afford...you get what you pay for in size and quality. Breaking a vice sucks, and having a vice that's too small or weak or mounted poorly is a huge pain in the ass. You'll likely use the vice more than any other permanent tool in the garage.

Get a pegboard.

Paint the floor.

You need at least one bench grinder. If you only have one, have one side be a wire wheel, and the other side a medium coarseness wheel. The wire wheel is your friend.

If you can afford it, do yourself a huge favor and buy a large assortment of quality hardware. There's nothing worse than needing one bolt at 11:00PM and not being able to get it...and there's nothing nicer than needing a bolt and walking over to a shelf and have a multitude to choose from.

Does the garage have plumbing? A utility sink kicks ass.

Rags, paper towels, etc etc. Screw GoodWill and the Salvation Army...use your old clothes for yourself as rags. It's an almost unlimited supply as you're always wearing out clothes. I'd say a rag would be the number one thing I'm asked for in my shop.

Good call on the band saw. Remember to have at least three teeth in contact at all times with whatever you're cutting. I.E...if you want your blades to last, don't cut 1/8" steel with a 12-tpi blade...a 24 tpi blade or finer would be best.

If at all possible, see what you can do for mounting your air compressor outside the normal working area. It's so much more peaceful to work when you don't have to listen to damn thing. I realize that's a major luxury in most garages, but if you get it out of the shop you'll be really glad you did.

A 20-ton press is extremely useful and relatively inexpensive.

You already know you need a drill press - get a Drill Doctor so you don't have to buy new bits every time you dull or break one. They take a few minutes of practice to use properly, but you can fix just about any bit as long as there's still flutes on it.

Get a big 3-ring binder and a heavy duty hole punch. Put all your manuals that come with all your tools and equipment in one binder.

A ride-on Tennant floor sweeper may be a bit pricey, but I highly recommend one. :D

-Ron-

CurtP
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Forgot to mention the air compressor. Personally, I prefer mine in the shop with me, but have the air intake plumbed outside. I want to hear what my compressor is doing and be able to stop it if it starts making a strange noise. I know a couple of people who put theirs out in their shed. They were happy at first, but when they started having moisture issues in their buried PVC lines, they weren't so happy anymore. If I were to have the compressor outside of the shop, I'd run large diameter (1" or bigger) overhead so I could make the proper moisture traps. Keeping it in the shop eliminates the whole thing, but then you'll have to live with the noise.

If you are shopping for a new compressor, look for one with the compressor being turned at a lower RPM - they'll typically be quieter. Quincy, Champion and Ingersoll Rand all make great compressors at various price points. For a compressor <$1.5k, I'd look at IR. From $1.5k+, Quincy or Champion.

For air reels, I like manual reels and my favorite is Rapid Reel. Not as convenient as a spring retracting reel, but if you've ever been smacked in the face by the end of an uncontrolled retracting hose, you'll change your tune.

Speaking of air hoses - never, ever, evar, EVAR use those cheap coiled air hoses you find at Harbor Freight, Home Depot or Lowes. I believe they're made out of polypropylene. Coilhose and Nycoil make good quality polyurethane coiled hoses which won't blow out on you like those cheap ones. For regular air hoses, I still prefer standard Goodyear rubber air hoses in at 1/2".

I also like Milton for most of my air hose fittings. Milton has some pushbutton quick release fittings that I really like - press the button once and it relieves pressure in the line. Press the button again and it releases the fitting. I've been popped in the face releasing a pressurized air hose from a QR too. Hurts. A *LOT*.

Creepers - I *hate* those fucking "The Bone" creepers. I can't turn my head very much in between those raised caster towers so I always feel like I'm going to get my head pinned under something and I won't be able to get out. I don't like those metal framed creepers either. They don't take much abuse before the frame breaks - at least that's always what seems to happen to mine. I like the old-school wooden creepers, but it's getting harder and harder to find good-quality ones. The last creeper I bought was a blue plastic Lisle Jeeper Creeper and it's been great. They now make a large wheel version.

A 20-ton press is handy, but I wish I would have sprung for the 50-ton one instead. If you use your press much, do yourself a favor and get the pneumatic bottle jack and replace the manual one that came in the press. This is what I used in my HF 20-ton: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95553

nate
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Metal dust is annoying to have all the over the place. At my old place, I had a big workbench outside on the side of the garage with a vice on it. I would use that one to grind or cut stuff so the garage stayed a little cleaner.

All I do know before I start cleaning up after a project is blow off all the flat areas in the garage with the air hose. Keeps it fairly clean.

You can make cheap cabinets with 2x2 framing and some OSB or plywood to skin it. My Dad has made lots of them that way.

If you have to store fuel or other flamables, a locker for all that would be handy. Or pick a corner of the shop to put all the paints, fuels and parts washer and don't use that area for welding, cutting, grinding, etc.

adam99wj
02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
i think you should sheet the inside up with plywood instead of drywall, at least you will not have a wall full of holes when you get pissed off and throw something, also its a little less labour intensive when installing it, no plastering and taping

grandmaster
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Just an idea, but my dads garage has points where you can hook a come along to so you an pull your body, or whatever your working on, the way you want it to go. Just kind of nice because you dont have to pull another vehicle in the garage to get a snatch point for your come along.