PDA

View Full Version : Welding Rods

AndyZJ
02-17-2008, 11:47 PM
I have some welding rods at the shop that seem to have a bit of moisture in them. Now i remember vaguely a conversation i had with a guy at a welding store about putting the rods on a cooking tray and putting them in my home oven and baking them at a certain temperature. Does anyone have a site that shows a chart for rod size to temperature or time in the oven? I'd hate to have to throw out a whole tin of these rods. Thanks.

piku303
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.rodovens.com/

i think your thinking of those. specially designed to keep rods.

dangerousdave
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
no you can put the rods in your house oven. I have done it and its what i have seen done at few shops. basically you put the rods on a cookie sheet and put the oven on warm. let them cook for 4 hours or so. This will take all the moisture out of the rod. do not stack the rods on the cookie sheet.

hkszx2
02-18-2008, 12:18 AM
try keeping them in the fridge if you have a beer fridge in your garage. Thats after you get the moisture out ...it helps keep them dry.

AndyZJ
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
no you can put the rods in your house oven. I have done it and its what i have seen done at few shops. basically you put the rods on a cookie sheet and put the oven on warm. let them cook for 4 hours or so. This will take all the moisture out of the rod. do not stack the rods on the cookie sheet.

That's the one the guy told me, just wasn't sure if there was any specific limit of rods that you could use with that method or if it was just 4 hours in and then switch to a new batch. Thanks guys.

dangerousdave
02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
A lot of companies just leave them in a oven all the time. Its not very practical for us. After I bake mine i stick them in a air tight tube with celica gel to get any remaining moisture out.

nate
02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
My Dad has a homemade rod oven in his shop.

He mounted a metal box to the wall. I think it was an electrical panel of somekind. The front has a door that opens.

He insulated it, and then put a light bulb in there. Keeps all his rods and grinding wheels in there.

That's it.

Light Bulb costs what, maybe $2 a month to keep on?

dangerousdave
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
sweet idea... i wasnt real pleased with the idea of putting a oven in my shop to leave on all the time. a light bulb will be cheaper to run day and night as well

CurtP
02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I just use aluminum foil or a cheap cookie sheet that I don't plan on ever using to make cookies (like I ever use an oven for it's actual intended purpose anyway). I use the lowest setting and bake them for about an hour. I've never had a moisture issue in IL or VA though - only when I lived in FL.

I wouldn't think that the refrigerator would be a good place to store them. My fridge in FL always had water running down the front of it and in the summer, down the inside of it too. I had to dump the drip tray in the bottom about once a week to keep it from overflowing.

I like the bulb idea Nate. We use a 100w bulb in a drop light in the boat to keep the engine from freezing here in VA. The bulb lasts about 3-4 weeks. Works great here where we only have mild winters. Do you know what size bulb he uses in his homemade oven?

nate
02-18-2008, 03:10 PM
It's either a 75 or 100 watt. It keeps the inside of the box about 40-50* when it's -20* in the shop to give you an idea. Shop only gets heated when he'd working in there.

violatedppl
02-20-2008, 04:40 AM
usually rod ovens are kept at around 200-300 degress, but at schoo we keep ours around 120 so dumb people can pick them up without gloves on. Guess we cant teach commmon sense.