PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for GSW 2008

Pages : [1] 2

SCAMPER ZJ
02-13-2008, 03:33 PM
-Renewed membership to MallCrawlin
-Registered on-line, printed out form - will mail today
-Made reservations at RedStone

Not really any major changes this year - just finished cleaning up the mess from my last trip to Moab (new rear drive shaft, rebuilt t-case, new rear axles, replaced ox cable, and went down to 4.56's because that itty-bitty 4.88 pinion in the hp30 was making me nervous)

Wish list:

-upgrade rock lights
-replace headlamps so I can drive on the street at night
-if my wife doesn't make me put it into landscaping, Currie anti-rocks

BigDaveZJ
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Good to hear you're gonna make it out this year Stan!

My list is pretty small as of now. And the way the mountains are getting snow, GSW might be the next time I can actually go wheeling.

Tow Rig:
Purchase and install wicked wheel to eliminate turbo surge
Hopefully 4" Exhaust to keep EGT's lower as well

Trailer:
Check bearing and brakes, service as needed

Jeep:
Change oil, check other fluids, load on trailer.

SCAMPER ZJ
02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah, Scott emailed me a reminder today - I had totally spaced it!!

I'll be heading out in March for a couple of days with the Calvary 4-Wheelers (http://www.calvaryefree.org/4wheel/4wheel.htm) to try out the "new" setup. Hopefully it will be fairly uneventful. . .and that I won't be bumming a ride back on a friend's trailer! ;)

Good luck getting your checklist done!

fpkites
02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Defnitely good to hear you'll be making it Stan - you might actually get to see my shit when it's NOT broken :rofl: Might even see if I can make a Calvary run or 2 - great people.

My checklist:

-Fix shitty cooling - done as of yesterday...woot!
-Contemplate handing my AC off to somebody - probably just charge it myself and call it done
-Shortarm install - buying arms from Colorado 5.9
-Aussie install - coming later this month, I think

Not putting this on the checklist just in case I don't have the dosh, but hoping to have a KOR Stealth front bumper. Crossing fingers.

AprilzWarrior
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Might as well add mine...

Install
3 guage pod mount in Dodge ... DONE
Pac Brake for Dodge.... DONE
OBA for Dodge.... DONE
Buy Spare Tire for trailer and build mount... DONE.
Grease CTMs in Jeep..... DONE
Finish CB in Jeep... DONE
Mount High Lift Jack to cage.... DONE
Replace Radiator... DONE
Repair 7 Recharge AC...DONE brrrrr
Change oil....DONE

Patch another hole in my tire...DONE
Repair One Hydro Line. DONE
Vaccume Jeep out... Ehhhhhh
Mount Fire Putter outter... not done
Want new door speakers, would be nice but not needed. done
Also have a 12" sub and amp to install, but again. not needed.

Colorado 5.9
02-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Insall Aussie this spring.

Figure out what's up with the AC. Since last GSW it will stop cooling every once in awhile. If I turn it off & then back on it starts working.

Install new winch if I get one.

Sandy R
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Insall Aussie this spring.

Figure out what's up with the AC. Since last GSW it will stop cooling every once in awhile. If I turn it off & then back on it starts working.

Install new winch if I get one.

I thought you had an ARB.

SCAMPER ZJ
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Glad you're going, Jim! I think you'll really like the short arms. Since they're coming from Scott, they're probably clear-coated too! :D

-Shortarm install - buying arms from Colorado 5.9

fpkites
02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
I've already got his old bling-bling Teraflex 1.25" pucks - his old rear trackbar needed a new coat though...I'll have to remind him of that :rofl:

SuicideTireZJ
02-15-2008, 12:23 AM
-Renewed membership to MallCrawlin
-Registered on-line, printed out form - will mail today
-Made reservations at RedStone

Not really any major changes this year - just finished cleaning up the mess from my last trip to Moab (new rear drive shaft, rebuilt t-case, new rear axles, replaced ox cable, and went down to 4.56's because that itty-bitty 4.88 pinion in the hp30 was making me nervous)

Wish list:

-upgrade rock lights
-replace headlamps so I can drive on the street at night
-if my wife doesn't make me put it into landscaping, Currie anti-rocks

What, you running a 6x6 now?

AgitatedPancake
02-15-2008, 03:50 AM
What, you running a 6x6 now?

Or he has two axleshafts...

Colorado 5.9
02-15-2008, 05:29 AM
I thought you had an ARB.

I do. It's also new from last springs upgrades.

The Aussie is for the rear 44a. My trac-lock died last summer sometime. I got in on the last order for the rear aussies.

I also forgot to ad I'm goingto have to install new uppper ball joints too this spring. Both are a tad loose I discovered when I got that valve stem replaced while at GSSW this last fall.

Colorado 5.9
02-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Glad you're going, Jim! I think you'll really like the short arms. Since they're coming from Scott, they're probably clear-coated too! :D

LOL, no they are pretty dirty & scuffed up. I told Jim they'll need new o-rings too. I'll be getting them sometime here soon. Just let me know when you want the arms Jim. I do want to clean them up & stuff.

MSU.WJ
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
This will be my first Grand Slam, and my first post here (if it even lets me post in the non-newb section).

To be done:
-Replace power steering pressure hose
-Install CB
-Get Auburn ECTED installed in D30
-Install new u-joint front driveshaft
-Replace hood struts so the hood will stop falling on my head when I go under there. :pissed:
-Replace axle seal on driver's side D44A

bshows73
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I have to get to Jeeps ready in time.
First mine.
Build long arms and 33's on 5.5" 8.8 if I have the cash and a bunch of minor routine maitenance and fix the AC (DD)

Kevins.
Lower Jeep a few inches. New shocks. Fix AC, Get rear end gear whine fixed. Cage if time permits. complete cargo area storage. CO2 mount, Hose mount. Wire in power invertor.

Long list to get done plus I am getting married next month and that will take up some of my cash and time.

ArloGuthroJeep
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
1) Change fluids.
2) Trim rear bumper so my 33's rub a tad bit less.
3) Drive out there.
4) Wheel.
5) Have it towed back.

Not a bad list at all:D

Of course, I told myself I would have custom bumpers F&R by this time last year and LA's:(

fpkites
02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
LOL, no they are pretty dirty & scuffed up. I told Jim they'll need new o-rings too. I'll be getting them sometime here soon. Just let me know when you want the arms Jim. I do want to clean them up & stuff.

I'll take 'em whenever you're ready, probably shooting for a March install. March is gonna be busy for me - arms, brakelines and Aussie. Gotta make sure I get a couple shakedown runs in as well :D

DansZJ
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Short list:
1. Install 8.8 w/4.56 (need to do brackets, etc)
2. Locate/purchase rear adjustable UCA's
3. Locate and install HP30 and install 4.56 gears
4. Install Currie or UTurn steering upgrade
5. Install 1" spring spacers (will put me at 4.5") & bumps stop extensions
6. Trim rear bumper if it still rubs after 1" spacer & bump stop install

WishList - not necessary for trip
a. Build cargo drawer /Mount Co2 bottle
b. Install/fab cowl intake - relocate filter under windshield
c. Install light switches

Z
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Here's my list:

1. Build up a WK from stock.

Seems simple enough.

fpkites
02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Piece of cake Z - you can do it in your sleep! :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
02-15-2008, 10:22 PM
1) Change fluids.
2) Trim rear bumper so my 33's rub a tad bit less.
3) Drive out there.
4) Wheel.
5) Have it towed back.

Not a bad list at all:D

Of course, I told myself I would have custom bumpers F&R by this time last year and LA's:(

My trailer is open for the ride home, as long as whoever's rig is on my trailer drives my ZJ home! :driving:

ArloGuthroJeep
02-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah Dave, I am sure your ZJ will be drivable, just like last year right?:D

fpkites
02-17-2008, 11:17 PM
You should loan him your pink axe Ryan :rofl:

ArloGuthroJeep
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
After another summer in the sun, it'll be more of a salmon color:flipoff2:

SCAMPER ZJ
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, I was going to wait until after taxes and landscaping, but I've grown impatient. I'm pulling the trigger on some Currie Anti-Rocks. It'll get done hopefully in the next 10 days.

Other things I'd like to get done before the trip (in addition to those mentioned earlier):
-synthetic winch cable
-limiting strap for rear
-possibly some Bilstein shocks
-repair exhaust - might just lose the muffler

fpkites
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Adding install of my new KOR TB conversion (thanks JSteves) - just have to wait until he sends me the jam nut he left at the machine shop.

Fuck it, handing my AC off to a shop - accumulator hose has a leak and it's dripping PAG oil on the header shield. At least then I'll know I've got good AC.

wonder371
03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
hopefully i can get all this locked in before moab...

Checklist:
1.) CB & Antenna
2.) Shocks
3.) Extra 33" tire (mount to spare tire rim)
4.) Extended Brakelines
5.) Extra breakdown parts
6.) Lots of AMSoil from Dirk/4x4oil.com
7.) Aussie (needs to come in) and 4.56s
8.) Recovery Gear
9.) Place to Mount tool boxes and spare

...Lots of gas Money for towing the jeep....

BigDaveZJ
03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Added more to the list, got 4.56's on the way.

fpkites
03-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Updated

Cooling issues not completely fixed, contemplating calling up Performance Radiator and telling Radiator Barn to eat this piece of shit - haven't confirmed it, but I think the pig is leaking...grrr. Luckily, temp is peachy-keen, so not top priority.

Short arm install this month

Aussie when it gets here

Brake lines - I'll burn the stockers off if I have to :D

Kinda thinking front Addco is in the future - my < 1 year old JKS adjustable trackbar may be sold soon.

Top priority is AC though - NOT going through the cooking I did last year :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Jim,
Performance Radiator has always done me well. I think I've put 5 or 6 of their radiators in various Jeeps and they've all done a great job.

nate
03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
When is this thing again?

I need to put a new rear axle under my truck, fix a few other things, install a bypass filter, injectors, turbo, exhaust, fender flares, air filter, etc, etc, etc.

The Jeep... I need to see if it even starts first since it's been parked since December. Then I need to make a new trackbar for it and put in a new electric fan. Also was thinking of building a false floor in the back to store the tire and other junk.

fpkites
03-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Jim,
Performance Radiator has always done me well. I think I've put 5 or 6 of their radiators in various Jeeps and they've all done a great job.

Pretty much what I'm thinking Dave - after replacing most of my damn cooling system, I'm still smelling coolant somewhere. Pretty confident it's that damn CSF. Upper and lower hoses are good (top brand new, lower less than a year), bypass is new. Water pump is new, stat is new, and the housing and block side were cleaned like a meth addict before sealing the shit out of it, no evidence of leakage from either heater hose. Going to pick up some dye that I had Napa bring in to see if it's the radiator...I'm pretty confident that's where the smell is coming from. Fawking tired of replacing radiators - that's something I didn't really want to get good at :rofl:

I intend to call up an AC shop this week to at least get the accumulator scheduled. I promised the wife we'd have AC this year, and damnit, I'm gonna succeed :D

Colorado 5.9
03-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Sounds just like my CSF rad. The leak was at the bottom somewhere. It started off just smelling it then it finally started getting worse over a few months.

Matt
03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
1) rear sway bar

I'm heading out to Moab at the end of March, we'll see if that changes anything.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Ordered a RSS diff cover and some gear oil from Dirk...waiting for it to show up and then I'll do a gear oil maintance before the trip. Changing my oil today and replacing the window regulator.

DansZJ
03-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Quick update:

Short list:
1. Install 8.8 w/4.56 (need to do brackets, etc)
2. Locate/purchase rear adjustable UCA's
3. Locate and install HP30 and install 4.56 gears
4. Install Currie or UTurn steering upgrade
5. Install 1" spring spacers (will put me at 4.5") & bumps stop extensions
6. Trim rear bumper if it still rubs after 1" spacer & bump stop install

WishList - not necessary for trip
a. Build cargo drawer /Mount Co2 bottle
b. Install/fab cowl intake - relocate filter under windshield
c. Install light switches

1. Brackets are installed, all new brake hardware has arrived, gears get done next week!
2. Found a set of UCA's (Thanks NaturalBornMudder)
3. I haven't found an HP30 dammit, but I have another LP30 with 4.56's to swap in.
4. Acquired V8 setup, so I'll be doing the u-turn at a later date.
5. To do when I swap the axles.
6. The 8.8 coil bracket is taller, so I think I'll have the clearance. Either way, I plan to cut the bumper.

WishList
a. cargo drawer - haven't had time/resources
b. Moved the intake/filter, will try to get it installed in the cowl. Still scratching my head on this one.
c. In process. I have a spare rear wiper bezel that I'm working on. Does anyone have a cnc press brake or cnc plastic router?:smt100

Not on either list - Got a winch mounted and wired up. Need to replace motor mounts, but I'm going to work with Bryant to see if we can build our own. Should be pretty pimp if we can make it work!

Just a little more than 2 months left. It'll be here before you know it! Lots of work to do still!

SCAMPER ZJ
03-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Well, I was going to wait until after taxes and landscaping, but I've grown impatient. I'm pulling the trigger on some Currie Anti-Rocks. It'll get done hopefully in the next 10 days.

Other things I'd like to get done before the trip (in addition to those mentioned earlier):
-synthetic winch cable
-limiting strap for rear
-possibly some Bilstein shocks
-repair exhaust - might just lose the muffler

OK, a number of these things just aren't going to get done due to the budget. However, I did get the Currie Antirocks put in - I'll do a little wheelin' this weekend and report back.

Also got the following done:
-flushed radiator, changed oil and spark plugs
-welded loose section of exhaust
-found a crack in the front driver's side lower control arm, had that welded/reinforced
-installed the Euro ZJ headlamp upgrade (Euro headlamps, headlamp relay harness, PIAA H4 bulbs)

Still on the wishlist: better rock lights

Sandy R
03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Noticed that you got your avatar pic updated. "Gravity Defiance" from GSW '06, isn't it?

OK, a number of these things just aren't going to get done due to the budget. However, I did get the Currie Antirocks put in - I'll do a little wheelin' this weekend and report back.

Also got the following done:
-flushed radiator, changed oil and spark plugs
-welded loose section of exhaust
-found a crack in the front driver's side lower control arm, had that welded/reinforced
-installed the Euro ZJ headlamp upgrade (Euro headlamps, headlamp relay harness, PIAA H4 bulbs)

Still on the wishlist: better rock lights

froggo27
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
My 4.56 gears are all in, Aussie coming in today, front diff cover on the way, install hopefully this weekend or next. I just need spare parts now and i'll be set to go.:smt066

jsteves
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Everyone should put check motor mounts on their list. I had my track bar out which revealed that the metal part of my driver side mount was cracked 99.9% of the way through. So I decide to replace both. The bushing on the passenger side was 99.9% shot. I would not have even finished a trail, that is, even if I made it to Moab like that.

I'll post a pic if I get a chance, kind of bizzare.

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Everyone should put check motor mounts on their list. I had my track bar out which revealed that the metal part of my driver side mount was cracked 99.9% of the way through. So I decide to replace both. The bushing on the passenger side was 99.9% shot. I would not have even finished a trail, that is, even if I made it to Moab like that.

Like this??

jsteves
03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Like this??

Just like that only it was hanging on by .1%

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I did that to two different motor mounts within 6 months of each other. Pretty much sucked.

DansZJ
03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Like this??
DAMN!!! You guys doing burnouts with 35's???? LOL - that's how I blew mine. When I got my 242 in and finally had 2 wheel drive, I was spinning them 33's like a freshman with in his mom's Corsica. :eek:
I only blew out the rubber part though!
You guys are freaking hardcore!
I really hope that we can bring our new motor mount ideas to fruition!

BigDaveZJ
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually I think that one was caused by jumping the shit out of my ZJ on a snow run back in 04.

fpkites
03-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Dan, if you could come up with a better (poly?) motor mount for the 5.2, you bet yer ass I'd buy it. Motor mounts are one thing that really aren't that hard, but they're a fucking pain in the ass. I'd love to put my last one in :D

Cue-Ball
03-27-2008, 08:05 PM
You can check out my build thread, I have some aftermarket motor mounts on mine and I really like them.

Here is a link
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3556&page=3

about 1/2 way down the page.

fpkites
03-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Awesome - thanks Dirk! I'll check those out.

AprilzWarrior
03-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Funny you say that... Ive never broke one, but I always carry 2 with me just incase.

jsteves
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Funny you say that... Ive never broke one, but I always carry 2 with me just incase.

I really ought to grab a couple me thinks.

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Are all the bolts there? That was my problem, turned out I was missing a bolt on the mount, so they were snapping. Put some more bolts in there and no problems in the last 4 years.

jsteves
03-28-2008, 07:22 PM
The back 2 were missing but only one of the holes lines up soooooooooooooo, I added one but I still only have three. I could see where there had been 1 other but I guess there has never been 4 on mine.

BigDaveZJ
03-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I think mine have 3 now, when I was snapping the mounts there were only 2.

fpkites
03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Bolts are overrated - just use zap straps on those damn mounts :D

DansZJ
03-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm guessing the other reason you guys snap your motor mount mounts is because you have V8's.

Cue, I read through that page a couple times but I somehow missed the info about the mounts. Are these for the 4.0? You have a stroker don't you?

I have the 4.0 and that's the mount I'll be working on.

jsteves
03-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah. The passenger side uses 2 long bolts but I think they pass through the block at 2 spots each. No problem other than the shot rubber.

Driver side has 2 bolts in it and a place for 4 bolts but one of the 4 does not line up with the hole in the block. So I guess we will see.

Cue-Ball
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes I have a 4.6 stroker and the mounts I have are for the 4.0.

Did I not make that clear in my build thread posts??

Dirk

fpkites
03-29-2008, 11:27 AM
That would require actually reading the build thread Dirk :rofl:

jsteves
03-29-2008, 12:29 PM
That would require actually reading the build thread Dirk :rofl:

exactly what I was thinking ;)

Cue-Ball
03-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh sorry I figured since it has been up for so many years that it would have gotten read here and there, my bad.

Dirk

DansZJ
03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. It's been a while since I read through the full build, Cue, but I was sure you had the stroker. It surprised me that you found motor mounts for the 4.0 as I have searched and even contacted shops that make mounts for the wrangler 4.0's. You definitely have some contacts!

I also just realized that because I have my settings to display 60 posts per page, your link took me to post #121 of your build! I went back and found the info in post 58 (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48489&postcount=58).

I'm going to contact AutoFab and save myself from fabbing up the same thing they are already making.

Thanks for the info and the detailed build thread!

Cue-Ball
03-30-2008, 12:44 AM
No problem Dan, glad I could help.

I was not trying to take anything away from you guys if you want to try and make some, simply saying I had found some was all.

John is the guy at Autofab, he was great to deal with and I still get emails from him from time to time.

Dirk

ZJ TINS
03-30-2008, 03:01 AM
If you switch to poly instead of rubber your gonna feel evey vibration the motor puts out.

Well I am still waiting for the weather to turn so I can start on the ZJ. Figure I have 20+ hours to put in to get ready for MOAB (yehaw).
Partial list
Install E-fan, front Aussie, KOR x-member, novak shifter (mines getting clunky and I figured easier to replace than mess with the stock contraption), mod the trailer hitch, transfer case fluid, diffy's fluids, brake bleed, wash the K&N, buff the headlights (to reduce the yellow), hood vents...

Course we had to have the 3rd most snow on record (Iowa) and it wasnt till last weekend most of it finally melted (so now we have flooding).
I cant wait to get back in the sun and heat so I can grip about not being able to wait for the snow ... not.

AprilzWarrior
03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Ill be chilling in Moab for sure !

Installed a new Accumulator.
http://fototime.com/BD0158BC84E3244/standard.jpg

Recharged the system...
http://fototime.com/524082BB6082301/standard.jpg

Check my coolness :smt044

The Temp gun is touching the air register/vent. The manual temp guage was sitting in the center console and I just dropped it in the vent.

So shes blowing at 26*, and keeping the cabin at 40*

Brrrr
http://fototime.com/31834A44ADE915F/standard.jpg

AW

ArloGuthroJeep
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
$10 says AW's AC blows up on the way out to Moab...

or ...

$10 says it is a record cold year in Moab and we are all running our heater...except AW because his heater core is leaking antifreeze...

Your choice AW:D

fpkites
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
You just convinced me to get off my lazy ass and get a damn accumulator in mine :D

BigDaveZJ
03-30-2008, 12:47 PM

I'll take that bet. Doubt he'll be running the ac while his ZJ is on the trailer. :D

AprilzWarrior
03-30-2008, 01:02 PM

or ...

$10 says it is a record cold year in Moab and we are all running our heater...except AW because his heater core is leaking antifreeze...

Your choice AW:D

You fucker, you probably jinxed me. The Heater Core is the ONLY part of my Jeep I have NOT replace ! :finga:

ArloGuthroJeep
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll take that bet. Doubt he'll be running the ac while his ZJ is on the trailer. :D

That'll make it that much more funny when it does blow:tease:

Cue-Ball
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Bastard, I am riding with AW and I HATE the HEAT!!!!!!!

BigDaveZJ
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Got the spare tire mount welded to the trailer yesterday. Showed up at the storage lot to find one of the tires on the trailer completely flat, looks like the valve stem was the culprit. Still got a lotta work left on the Jeep though.

Mtn WJ
03-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I have a short list this year.

Put in 2 new power window actuators (I was done with this but then decided to replace the broken mirror and put in new speakers while it is all appart. Waiting on the mirror to come in.)
Clean out Radiator
Finish tie rod flip
May do new front ujointed axle shafts depending on final quote from local shop
Change Oil
Check into Tranny leak - Minor leak
Check all bolts and bushings - no issues but just something I do each year.

Thats about it. If I get the time I may put in my hood vents. Well see on that. I will be on the road for 3 weeks begining again April 12th.

wonder371
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Bastard, I am riding with AW and I HATE the HEAT!!!!!!!

thats why your rolling with the trustworthy WJ too :)

SCAMPER ZJ
03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Update to list:

-Replace lower control arm I bent on Golden Spike this weekend (see below)
-Shorten heim joints on rear Antirock setup so they don't slam the setup into frame rails every time I hit a bump
-definitely Bilsteins, ordering them this week

http://www.jeepsite.net/SpikeMarch2008/P1010206small.jpg

Colorado 5.9
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Damn, howed you do that to the front arm? At least it looks like the front arm.

fpkites
04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Teraflex adjustable arms are in (upper and lower). Holy shit that made a huge difference in handling! Stock bushings were mostly cooked after 12 years of beating the shit out of them.

Aussie is in too - huge thanks to SailingNut and Colorado 5.9 for helping with the installs yesterday. Scott, you saved my butt with that damn carrier shaft (Pinion shaft according to Aussie) pin/bolt.

Still need to get off my ass and call the AC shop by home and get the accumulator and hoses swapped out.

SCAMPER ZJ
04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Damn, howed you do that to the front arm? At least it looks like the front arm.

You know, it's an interesting story. . .:D Actually, I was leading a group through Spike and you know that part before the Crack where you have to hug that tree to the right and it's a bit of an off-camber drop? Well, I didn't recognize the tree until I was on the other side of the obstacle and went WAY left off of a 5-ft drop. Despite easing it down, because it's an overhang (as opposed to a steeply angled drop-off) I slammed down on the arm. Glad I had a metal rear bumper, because getting the other end down wasn't much prettier. Anyway, didn't actually note it until the next morning when I was doing my "pre-flight" check in the Redstone parking lot. I was pretty paranoid on the trip home (I had just had a crack in that arm welded) and kept checking it. . .but I made it. Needless to say, the arm is getting REPLACED.

k9popo
04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Well I thought I would "POP" my cherry here and throw up my first post...As of right now I have a bone stock 2004 WJ freedom that I traded my 2002 powerstroke for ($4 a gallon sucks balls:mad:) and since it just sat in my driveway I had to get rid of it...I have had a 95 ZJ before and 2002 TJ but missed the GC the most.

I got registered for the Grand Slam, made reservations at the Rodeway inn (government discount) and my kids love the water slide...

So enough with the rambling here's my list:

Install 5'' Teraflex lift - done
Steering stabilizer - done
JKS track bar - done
265 70r17 - done
American Expedition Beadlocks
Roof Rack with spare tire mount
lights on rack
CO2
Rear brake pads
and if the $$$denero holds out, KOR tie rod and drag link...Im looking forward to meeting y'all down there...

K9

JohnBoulderCO
04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
You know, it's an interesting story. . .:D Actually, I was leading a group through Spike and you know that part before the Crack where you have to hug that tree to the right and it's a bit of an off-camber drop? Well, I didn't recognize the tree until I was on the other side of the obstacle and went WAY left off of a 5-ft drop.
I know the spot. That is a huge ledge! :eek: I bet you still have some of the seat in your pants. ;) Glad you only bent an arm going off that.

fpkites
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Holy shit! Damn AC accumulator must be made of fucking gold and it must require midget Einsteins to install it! Fawkin' FSM says just evac the system, unhook the hoses, swap in the new one, hook up the hoses and charge....first shop I called wanted over 400 bones to to the stupid thing!

Anybody in CO have access to a R134a machine? :(

BigDaveZJ
04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Shouldn't need the whole machine Jim. When I did mine back in the day Corey borrowed some weird vaccuum setup thingie that hooked up to a compressor and then used the bottle to add the R134a. I've seen the hose & gauge setup for < $100 at a few places.

fpkites
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Pretty much what I'm thinking of Dave. I just need to figure out what I need to vacuum out the old shit, separate the air and water from the freon, then put the freon back in.

Vatozone does have the manifold gauge set in their loaner collection, just have to figure out how to get the other shit.

BigDaveZJ
04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
You got a compressor? We'll be out in the garage most of Sunday if you wanna come by and use mine.

fpkites
04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I do have a compressor.

Other thing I'm trying to figure out, and FSM doesn't say anything about it is - what about the clamp that holds the accumulator hose to the evap? Do I need to chase a tool, or will channellocks pull it?

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Not sure on that. I remember when I did mine I needed some fancy tool to release some of the lines.

fpkites
04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I'll keep poking around to see if I can get a hold of the clamp tools cheap or free.

Napa's got accumulator and hose assembly in stock, just at the store. Vatozone wants $100 for it, so Napa should be about the same. Job looks like less than an hour, depending on how long it takes to recovery the gas and vac the system afterwards. No clue why that shop wanted over 400 bones for it.

AprilzWarrior
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/MDS399.jpg

The little white tools at the top of the case are what you use to disconnect AC lines, DO NOT USE CHANNEL LOCKS.

You should be able to pick them up anywere cheap !

fpkites
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Awesome - thanks J.

I was thinking you had to undo the clip looking chinga-thinga that butts up to the firewall. Sounds like it's the collar looking thing on the end of the short softline.

AprilzWarrior
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Awesome - thanks J.

I was thinking you had to undo the clip looking chinga-thinga that butts up to the firewall. Sounds like it's the collar looking thing on the end of the short softline.

There is a keeper that slips over the top of the lines to lock them, unsnap that, then use the tool to remove the AC line. ITs a PITA, slide it in and with the other hand wiggle the ac aggresivly to release it. And its just behind the Engine ECU harness Loom, almost at the firewall.

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Jim,
If you don't wanna fawk with all that, just plumb up some sprinklers in there like I got. Cheaper, easier, and doesn't make the engine overheat!

fpkites
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
There is a keeper that slips over the top of the lines to lock them, unsnap that, then use the tool to remove the AC line. ITs a PITA, slide it in and with the other hand wiggle the ac aggresivly to release it. And its just behind the Engine ECU harness Loom, almost at the firewall.

Gotcha - I can picture exactly what you're talking about. Sounds like the keeper is just for stability so it doesn't tweak the evap. Thanks AW.

Dave - did you ever implement my patented but never documented CO2 mist delivery system we talked about last year? :D

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Dave - did you ever implement my patented but never documented CO2 mist delivery system we talked about last year? :D

Not yet. When I extend the system to include Pam and Shaft I may do it, especially since the CO2 will already cool the water for me a little ala a soda fountain. The valves and regulators and everything may make it kinda tricky though.

fpkites
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Regulate before going to the destinations then. Give the beginning of the delivery system a set psi and branch out from the main. You could even pick up the water closer to the destination.

Just an idea.

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
That's what I was thinking, but that involves a completely different setup at the tank too. Once I get the cage and everything in I might fawk with it, since I won't be adding much to the interior after that, and the cage would give me a great place to route lines.

fpkites
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Nice...should make for a great writeup.

BigDaveZJ
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Nice...should make for a great writeup.

The original writeup from 03: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405319

Shit . . . can't believe I put that in almost 5 years ago.

fpkites
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
...and on JU for that matter :finga:

SCAMPER ZJ
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I got registered for the Grand Slam, made reservations at the Rodeway inn (government discount) and my kids love the water slide...

Welcome to MallCrawlin, K9! See you in Moab.

JohnBoulderCO
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Finally started wrenching on the Jeep last night. The weather is warming up, so the garage isn't so cold.

My to-do-list is short this year:

- Fab up a rear tire carrier
- Finish up the rear fender cut job, using screws instead of rivets
- Install new front sway bar, softer
- Figure out why I can't keep my battery charged, electrical drain
- Grease all the jerk fittings
- Double check fluid levels and last time they were changed

5 weeks to go!

Pitch
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
My list of stuff:

1)Push rear axle back 1/4 to 1/2", I am now rubbing the 35's after the axle swap (new axle is wider)
2)Solve leaking rear axle problem+ maybe new wheel bearings on rear axle
3)Splice rear abs lines into the front so my speedo works all of the time-now it does not work off road.
4)Install a rear sway bar
5)Fix JKS sway bar links up front-broke a mounting post due to my "custom" ss setup.
6)Re-locate steering stabilizer to between the drag link and track bar
7)Install front leveling spacers to even out ride height
8)Pick up a spare front hub or 2
9)check all fluids
10)New speakers for the stereo? damn WJ tweeter blew, and it is a long ride to Moab with 1/2 a stereo
11)New fuel filter (that or #3 is causing the WJ to stall 2* weak idle speed when I am wheeling)
12)Clean the Jeep! yup, I like the inside and outside clean on the way to Moab, cause it will no doubt be dirty on the ride home!

I guess I had better take the day off to start cracking on this stuff!

fpkites
04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Down to nitty-gritty stuff now.

Junkyard run:
driver u-jointed axle shaft (trail spare)
front driveshaft from an XJ

New Napa driver axle shaft (CV - lifetime warranty)
Front driver caliper - swapped out the passenger last year, now pulling in a panic stop, so I'll swap out the driver.

Fluids, fluids fluids...tranny is getting fluid and filter, TC's getting a fluid change, oil change the day before leaving, as John says, give the jerk fittings a drink - those damn Teraflex shortarms are thirsty fawkers!

Need to go through my ammo box and make sure I've got some of evertything.

Fresh plugs again - last year I made Denver to Moab on 1 tank. Going to try to have a repeat performance :D

ArloGuthroJeep
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Wow, 1 tank Jim...For some reason I remember planning on 5 tanks for the whole trip but now that seems really excessive...360 miles...at 16mpg that is 22gallons so I guess I'll come up a bit short of a single tank.

1) Replace front diff cover with RSS diff cover and change fluid. Need to pick up fluid.
2) Replease seal on rear diff cover - started to leak after last weekends 4-wheeling trip. Need to pick up fluid.
3) Replace RE UCA bushings on front axle - totally shot and ripped apart. Kolak needs to respond to my email:(
4) Probably replace trackbar bushings - already have the spares.
5) May have a blown MX-6 shock in the rear - need to talk to Kolak about it.
6) Pick up spare D30 axle shafts. Already have a spare hub and spare TRE's.

JohnBoulderCO
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Eric, I think you will need a day off work. That's a pretty long list. Have fun, John

Colorado 5.9
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Hummm? Let's see. I've gotten done:

1. Repaint sliders & pull the rocker covers.

2. Install new back door speakers.

3. Cooling system now seems to be working good now.

Still to do:

1. Rotate tires.

2 Install Aussie locker in the back. This weekend I guess.

3. Repaint long arms & belly plate

4. Install new upper ball joints

5. Change transmission fluid. Maybe a tune up.

6. Try & figure out what's up with AC turning itself off now & then.

7. I'd like the change out the brake fluid too. It's been about 4 years or so.

8. I hope this year the t-case won't have to come out again. The last two years I've had to pull it. The first was to install the SYE. Last year was to figure out why it's wearing aluminum somewhere in the case. It still is but everything seems OK. I just can't figure out where it's coming from. The bearings are tight in their races & the chain is tight & not coming in contact with the inside of the case.

BigDaveZJ
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
My Jeep is currently hovering in the garage . . . need to finish up the gears, maybe replace the mini-spool in the 8.8. Don't think I have too much left other than that. Truck needs new brakes still too.

Colorado 5.9
04-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Hummm? Let's see. I've gotten done:

1. Repaint sliders & pull the rocker covers.

2. Install new back door speakers.

3. Cooling system now seems to be working good now.

Still to do:

1. Rotate tires.

2 Install Aussie locker in the back. This weekend I guess. DONE!!!!!

3. Repaint long arms & belly plate. Done!!!

4. Install new upper ball joints.

5. Figure out what's up with my A.C. still.

6. Change trany fluid & Oil, filter

ZJ TINS
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Just a personnal opinion, tranny fluid change, machine vs filter.
Talked to a couple shops, some newer machines heat and circulate the fluid for about 45 minutes, then a door drops and they claim about 95%+ gets exchanged. Afterwards the dipstick looks brand new. A filter change and refill gets about 25%. Also the filters looks like a brillo pad. IMHO if you have a clogged filter your tranny is dead, I plan on never changing my tranny filter. This is backed up by a taxi company who only uses second hand cop cars and never changes tranny filters, ever and they get 600l+ (article on net somewhere). Not all machines which services trannies are the same if it doesn't takes 45 minutes or so its not as effective (it not heating and circulating).
Anyway I have been dooing this too all my cars at 100k miles interval and adding a few oz of Seafoam trans additive.

Just an FYI.

DansZJ
04-28-2008, 10:25 PM
My damn list keeps changing as we get closer!:smt100
I did get my passenger side motor mount made last weekend. It's a little overkill with the .25" angle and supports, but I used scrap so it was free. Just had to buy the inner and outer sleeves and the bushings. Woot!

I’ll work on the passenger side when mine wears out, or I have time to spend on it.

Now the only things left to do are:
Install axles, HP30 and 8.8 - gears are finished just need time to install them. This weekend!
Install waggy box – plate the frame and install 4th mounting hole.
Install the v8 steering tie-rod and drag link
Install new 99+ intake, power steering pump, injectors and Hesco fuel regulator (new to-do item)
Install light switches and wire them up.
Fluid change
I know I’m forgetting something else.
Shit - only 4 weeks to go!!!

ArloGuthroJeep
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
-Ordered spare axle shafts last week for the D30 - should be here Wednesday.
-Ordered new shocks via Kolak (Bilstein 5100's)...have 3.5" more down travel then my undersized MX-6's. (now I need to sell my MX-6's)
-Received 6 new bushings for my CA's - gonna replace them this weekend I think.

Mtn WJ
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Just a personnal opinion, tranny fluid change, machine vs filter..

On newer transmissions I say machine for sure. Older autos like in the 60s, 70,s and early 80s go with a pan drop and filter.

K2
04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
-Ordered spare axle shafts last week for the D30 - should be here Wednesday.
-Ordered new shocks via Kolak (Bilstein 5100's)...have 3.5" more down travel then my undersized MX-6's. (now I need to sell my MX-6's)
-Received 6 new bushings for my CA's - gonna replace them this weekend I think.

Do WJ shocks fit a ZJ. and are the height comparable? (I need new shocks)

ArloGuthroJeep
04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I think the shocks would work on both although I don't know for sure...the lengths are 16.25" compressed and 24 5/8" extended.

Cue-Ball
04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Just FYI, for you guys looking to stock up on fluids or if you are needing diff covers I am running a special for all GSW attendees.

Check it out here:
http://gsw.mallcrawlin.com/index_files/SponsorSpecials.htm

SCAMPER ZJ
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Still waiting for the Bilsteins. Ordered a MasterPull synthetic winch line and some 525 PIAA's. Tired of the malfunctioning disconnect axle in the front, am putting in a block.

Must have thrown a weight off a wheel because coming back from China Wall I suddenly developed a very bad case of death wobble. Will be heading to Discount Tire later this week to have them rebalanced. Everything else looks good and the alignment seems fine, so hopefully that will take care of it.

My big item: tow or no tow. Still haven't bought a truck, decided I can't afford to make payments on a car + truck at the moment so am seriously contemplating trading in the car for a truck. The death wobble incident brought this back to the forefront. I'm watching AutoTrader for a 2000-2002 F250 or 350 7.3L SRW CC. Guess I better hop on Craigslist to look for a dual axle (with brakes) trailer too. As busy as I am, I will be cutting it real close.

ArloGuthroJeep
04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Scamper are Bilsteins on backorder?

SCAMPER ZJ
04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Scamper are Bilsteins on backorder?

That's what I'm being told. I would REALLY like to get them BEFORE Moab, the ones I have in the rear are pretty much useless (old Deutch Techs). The front are ProComps but they're getting a bit tired too.

Sandy R
05-01-2008, 08:00 AM
That's what I'm being told. I would REALLY like to get them BEFORE Moab, the ones I have in the rear are pretty much useless (old Deutch Techs). The front are ProComps but they're getting a bit tired too.

FYI, I ordered some from Clayton and got them within a week from across the country.

SCAMPER ZJ
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
FYI, I ordered some from Clayton and got them within a week from across the country.

Really? I will call them tomorrow!! Thanks Sandy.

BigDaveZJ
05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
8.8 and HP30 are both in the back of the truck ready to go up to Corey's on Sunday to get the gears put in. Still hoping to get the axles back in on Monday and get it rolling again. If anybody is free on Monday and could give me a hand it'd be much appreciated!

SCAMPER ZJ
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Still haven't bought a truck. . .

Addendum: Just got one. . .:D:D:D

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Pics or no truck!!!

jsteves
05-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Pics or no truck!!!

AGREED!

Did you have to get rid of the A4?

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
A few links for ya to check out too Stan:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=488

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=260

http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges/gauge_kits_psd.asp

http://shop-dp-tuner.com/f51-16positionchip.aspx

That should about cover it. :-)

JohnBoulderCO
05-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Added to my to-do-list: Replace ball joints. Bummer.

Colorado 5.9
05-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Added to my to-do-list: Replace ball joints. Bummer.

Yea, I need to do my uppers. It sucks! I'm going to bling out the knuckles & calipers to make it worth my while though. When I did the brake kit last year I sould have painted stuff then. The knuckles are nothing but a bad rust color now. The calipers don't look real good either.

fpkites
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Scott - you know that red is fast, right? :D

Colorado 5.9
05-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Ha Ha, Mopar Blue is faster.:)

That would be the calipers. The knuckles will be silver hammered. Already painted the front truss SH but I'm not sure I like it. If you make it up to Clydes M&G thing tomarrow I'll get your take on it. Half & half just does not look right to me I don't think.

fpkites
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Going to do the best I can to make it to the M&G. I'll probably swap my mud tires back on for it too - street meats are mounted up at the moment.

Z
05-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Going to do the best I can to make it to the M&G. I'll probably swap my mud tires back on for it too - street meats are mounted up at the moment.
You're going to swap tires to go to a M&G?

I guess that makes me feel better for the amount of time I'm spending on little details for the WK that most people probably won't realize.

And why they hell do you have mud tires in Colorado, anyway?

Ted_Z
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM

'Cause chicks dig 'em.

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 06:41 PM

I've run BFG "mud" tires for 7 years now in Colorado. :cool:

fpkites
05-02-2008, 06:45 PM
My street meats are almost embarrassing :rofl:

Same "mud" tires I had last year at GSW Tom - carried me pretty well :D

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K7/GoldBarRim/Jeep%20222%20[1024x768].jpg

SCAMPER ZJ
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
A few links for ya to check out too Stan:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=488

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=260

http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges/gauge_kits_psd.asp

http://shop-dp-tuner.com/f51-16positionchip.aspx

That should about cover it. :-)

That won't get you on my wife's good side!! :D It looks like if I pass up that $1,500 5 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty I could swing it though. . .http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/wink.gif

SCAMPER ZJ
05-02-2008, 11:00 PM
AGREED!

Did you have to get rid of the A4?

Still have the A4, turned out in order to get rid of it I'd have to come up with $3-4k out of pocket (difference between "trade" and the payoff).http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/eek.gif I'd rather continue to use the Audi as my daily driver to-from Boulder and keep that money in the bank for monthly payments!!

I know this is lame, but I only have a dealer pic for now. It's sitting on the lot until we can pick it up Monday:

http://www.jeepsite.net/F250/04.jpg

2002 F250 7.3L SRW CC Lariat 64k mileshttp://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Next stop: Jayhawk Trailers (http://www.jayhawktrailers.com/) in Commerce City for an 80" between-the-fenders 18'+2' dovetail dual 7k axles with brakes (waiting for them to track one down).

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Looks good man! Need to get some tint on those front windows too! $1,500 for that warranty sounds pretty good. The gauges are a must IMO though, even stock. If the tranny goes caput (which it most likely will before you hit 164k, but if you're still DD'ing the A4 you may hit the 5yrs well before the mileage) it will EASILY pay for itself.

fpkites
05-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Very nice Stan! Now you can tow my shit home when I beat the shit out of it this year :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Very nice Stan! Now you can tow my shit home when I beat the shit out of it this year :rofl:

There's always my trailer too! You just gotta drive my ZJ back on the hwy! :butthead:

SCAMPER ZJ
05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Very nice Stan!

Thanks!!

The gauges are a must IMO though, even stock.

Yup, gonna get those ordered on Monday. Otherwise I'll be quite paranoid going over the passes. Driving a trailer is going to be a new and different enough experience without worrying if I'm frying the innner workings of my truck. My wife has requested I wait on all of the other stuff though. . .

fpkites
05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
There's always my trailer too! You just gotta drive my ZJ back on the hwy! :butthead:

I think I'd rather drive Stan's :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
05-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Yup, gonna get those ordered on Monday. Otherwise I'll be quite paranoid going over the passes. Driving a trailer is going to be a new and different enough experience without worrying if I'm frying the innner workings of my truck. My wife has requested I wait on all of the other stuff though. . .

DEFINITELY understand that one! I'm still working on getting the exhaust for mine. I forgot to include the brake controller in all those too, but I've got a Tekonsha Prodigy and love it. Should run ya ~$100 with a plug n play harness. Absolutely recommend brakes on both axles of your trailer. When you get the trailer, putz around for a little bit with it empty to get used to it. It also helped me a lot when I first started to have someone behind me to act as another set of eyes to let me know where vehicles were until I could get a feel for where everything was.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Talked to Kolak today and he said:

Hi Ryan,

Supplies are short but I will have a set for you this week for sure. Things are trickling in all the time.

Nick

Was hoping to get them this week, but looks like they'll only be shipped this week.

fpkites
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Front Addco lands Wednesday - not that it matters on the trail, but sure should make the ride better :D

BigDaveZJ
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
The Jeep moves!!! Hover Jeep is no more, Scott came down today and helped me get the axles back under it and we took it out for a quick spin. Gears are doing great, gotta take a look at the alignment too, getting some shimmy/wobble over 40. Probably just need to set the toe. Also need a new driveshaft, old one is too short. Damn long pinion . . . .

DansZJ
05-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Just like Dave, my axle are in. I love the 4.56's. I also got a couple inches taller with the 8.8 and the new brackets. It looks like I might be at 5.5" in back. I added a 1" puck in the front, and there is still a rake to the Jeep.:eek:

Items left:
Waggy box
V8 tie rod
99+ intake manifold

Getting closer!:smt023

JohnBoulderCO
05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Tire carrier, done. I painted it tonight.
Last night, Bob (Trango) finished welding the add on tire carrier to my TR bumper.

Next up, replace all the ball joints. After that, the rest of my list is easy.

3 weeks to go. Get wrenching!

fpkites
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Front Addco installed tonight, but had to take off my KOR steering brace - Dan, I may be talking to you/Bryant/Kev on that. Kev might remember the issues I had from the get-go with this beyotch :(

Colorado 5.9
05-08-2008, 01:07 AM
So are you going to put the brace back on? It's tricky for all three but it works. I had to grind the corner of the skid for it to fit. The tabs of the brace will not fit flush over the addco tabs.

In order of install on mine is Addco, brace, skid.

fpkites
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Addco, brace, skid is the order I was going in. Brace uses the rear bolts of the Addco bracket, and it's aligned goofy.

I ended up robbing bolts from the skid, so that's sitting in the garage until my next junkyard run when I can snag some more.

The brace is actually about 1/16" too narrow, so I had to wallow out the mounting holes a bit back when I got it. It never did sit flush to the frame rail. I think I just need to spend some more quality time with the Dremel to make it fit better.

I do intend to have it put back on very soon.

DansZJ
05-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey Jim,
let us know if you don't get it worked out and I'll see what we can do. For what it's worth, the new V8/4.0 brace has been redesigned and is easier to mount. It also has slotted holes because of the slight differences in frame widths.

Addco, brace, skid is the order I was going in. Brace uses the rear bolts of the Addco bracket, and it's aligned goofy.

I ended up robbing bolts from the skid, so that's sitting in the garage until my next junkyard run when I can snag some more.

The brace is actually about 1/16" too narrow, so I had to wallow out the mounting holes a bit back when I got it. It never did sit flush to the frame rail. I think I just need to spend some more quality time with the Dremel to make it fit better.

I do intend to have it put back on very soon.

fpkites
05-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Kev and I were talking about the slot orientation when I was fighting with mine. Glad you got the new ends sourced.

I'll probably be taking a stab at mounting it up this weekend. I'll have to shave some more off the driver side mount so I can scoot it more passenger side. Definitely let you know if it looks like I'll have to take off a lot of material.

I found out today how much that thing really does help with handling. I could feel my steering slop around now that I've got that Addco in.

DansZJ
05-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Once I went to the 33's it was night and day without it. I was recently in situation where I would have ripped the box off the frame without it. Just the same I am installing the waggy box, just to be safe!

PassRunnerZJ
05-09-2008, 01:19 AM
High priority:
1. Install XRC8 winch
2. Install new Sears Platinum battery - when it gets in
3. Check suspension nuts and bolts
4. Pickup winch accessories
5. Change plugs
6. Change oil
7. Clean Amzoil oiless filter
8. Fix passinger side front speaker
9. Put 33's back on
10. Change speedo gear
11. Purchase new Wells' Moab book

Lower priority:
1. Modify swaybar disconnects
2. Install additional lights after winch install
3. Finish wiring CB to hot all the time

Guess I need to get too it...

fpkites
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Fawwwwwk......:(

I've got a growl/vibe in what I think is the front, similar to what Matt (Maatt?)had last year (GSW) when he obliterated a driveshaft and didn't have the pinion tightened down enough. Pulling the shaft tomorrow to verify it, but I'm pretty confident that's what it is.

If that's the case, I guess my gear change will be done before GSW - talking with my gear guy to see what he says. Good that I'd be at 4.10 or 4.56, bad that it's before I had planned it in my build.

BigDaveZJ
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Jim, I got my gears from Crazy Ed's Performance, smokin price and got them fast as hell too.

fpkites
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Crazy Ed's - I'll check his prices to see if he's beating my gear guy. Thanks Dave.

Good thing is, if I catch it quick, I might be okay break-in wise for GSW since I have a 10 mile commute. Honestly though, I'm hoping I can stick with 3.73s until after GSW. This definitely wasn't the order I was hoping to go in on my build.

BigDaveZJ
05-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Let him know you're on CO4x4 too.

fpkites
05-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Will do - I told him that you sent me as well...just in case that does any good.

BigDaveZJ
05-09-2008, 11:35 PM
He'll probably charge you more, LOL

fpkites
05-09-2008, 11:43 PM
"oh, that Dave fawker? Shit, we'll have to charge you triple"

No lie :finga:

Colorado 5.9
05-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Well I started the Ball Joint swap today. Ran into problems since the ball joint press I have does not have the one adapter I need for the upper BJ. Funny thing is 3 years ago when I did the upper I was able to figure something out to get the BJ all the way out. I just couldn't remember exactly how I did it. Had to go barrow Corey's adapter kit to finish it.

Also dark caught up to me & I had to paint the caliper in the dark. The knuckle I got painted before dark. I didn't have time to paint the rotor damn it.:( I'll have to get it when I do the pass. side.

In the link you can see how nice everything looked last year when the brake kit was installed. It really rusted to hell in just a year. I really wish I had painted everything last year. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Vanco%20Brake%20upgrade%20for%20the%20D30/

:bling:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Vanco%20Brake%20upgrade%20for%20the%20D30/DSC01464.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Vanco%20Brake%20upgrade%20for%20the%20D30/DSC01471.jpg

DansZJ
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
The axle is in, had to redo the shock mounts since there was zero down travel. There is more now, but I will have to do something. I should be able to flex it up further in the fender.
In this photo, you can see the shock is bottomed out completely. I was looking at the D35 shock brackets and they are about 3 inches lower than the tube.
I'm also rubbing the end of the bumper, so I'm going to have to cut about 2" off the end.

PassRunnerZJ
05-10-2008, 09:38 PM
When I added shock mounts to my 44i we moved the bolt point mid axle to get more down travel and get the shock mount up away from rocks and hang up stuff.

fpkites
05-10-2008, 10:19 PM
D'oh! Found my vibe - it's the rear. Guess I'll be doing u-joints on the rear shaft if I find slop in the ones that are on there. Pulled the front shaft, and not quite all of the yuck is gone :(

ZJ TINS
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Well I am out of time and I wussed out , GC is in the shop. Between OT , mothers day, son graduating from highschool there is no time left.
Last sunday started at 10am and had the front down to the master pin by 5pm, was trying to put the Aussie locker in, took monday off and spent 6 hours on the master pin without success, had GC to towed to my mechanic who will finish it for me. Meanwhile while I was under it noticed PS fluid dripping, dont know if its hose or pump yet. Also the brake light came on, probably internal master cylinder leak. Well its a 96 with 160k and looks like all original so guess it had to happen.

Did get my trailed hitch chopped up and prepped so I can get it welded (for more ground clearance) leaving 1 weekend for CO2 mount, E-fan install, KOR transfercase armor, oil change... Oh well same result, bigger check. Hope the Efan well works cause it looks like no vents again this year.:doh:

trailer hitch so far and tank which I have yet to figure out how to bolt to floor without ripping out gas tank:

BigDaveZJ
05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I think you've got the most left to do John! I'm down to just a few small maintenence items on the Jeep, and heading out to the garage here in a few to change the oil and do a brake job on the truck.

K2
05-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I knocked out a couple so far:

changed bad hub
fixed abs
put rock lights in
centered the front axle
got a spare ds and ps box

still to do:

rock light wiring
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket
maybe a rear axle bracket, even though I have heard bad things (I bought an axle for the locker and it had one)
New shocks
oil change and fluid check

BigDaveZJ
05-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Hit a snake with the brakes on the truck. One of the slide pins on the driver side caliper was completely seized. Still can't get the damn pin to loosen up and have now completely mangled the caliper trying to get it out. Oops.

fpkites
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
What did the snake say when you hit him?

Ssssssssson of a bitch :D

BigDaveZJ
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Snake??? Where the fawk did that come from? LOL I was a bit frustrated at that point. Ended up drilling through the other end of the caliper bracket and pounded the slide pin out. Shoved the shank through the handle of two screwdrivers in the process. Then sealed the hole up with JB Weld. Ghetto fab FTW.

fpkites
05-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Hit a snake with the brakes on the truck. One of the slide pins on the driver side caliper was completely seized. Still can't get the damn pin to loosen up and have now completely mangled the caliper trying to get it out. Oops.

Do you see it now Dave? Would you like to borrow my grampa glasses? :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Do you see it now Dave? Would you like to borrow my grampa glasses? :rofl:

I saw it the first time, I was just trying to figure out how the fawk I typed it!!!

Truck's running good, brakes are MUCH better than before. Got the oil changed, new fuel filter, so the truck is ready. Couple small things left on the trailer, and break in the gears some more on the Jeep and I'm done.

fpkites
05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Dan, you'll have a PM shortly

Hey Jim,
let us know if you don't get it worked out and I'll see what we can do. For what it's worth, the new V8/4.0 brace has been redesigned and is easier to mount. It also has slotted holes because of the slight differences in frame widths.

ZJ TINS
05-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Argh, ok now both parking rear brake pads are shot, plus the free wheeling gizmo isnt freewheelin. At least the Master cylinder is ok.

Tell me why GSWwas moved up again, the one where Iowa had the second worst winter on record with the longest cold spell into spring!!??!?!?!?!

SWEEEEEET! stopped by the mechanic to drop off the trailer hitch and ZJ was on the rack. Went up to the front and counter rotated the wheels by hand, clickity click went the Aussie. Wohoo!

SCAMPER ZJ
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Got a call, the Bilstein's should be showing up today! :D

fpkites
05-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Still figuring out what I'm gonna do with my gears - a regear may not happen before GSW because I have a trailer pull the weekend before GSW. Gears won't be quite broken in enough to do the trailer pull :(

Might have to have my gear guy reset the front pinion and take a peek at the rear axle overall health. It'll cost me a bit more in the long run, but time's just running out.

BigDaveZJ
05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Knocked a few more things off my list today. All that's left really is finish breaking in my gears and change the fluid, make sure my CB works, clean out the human cooling system, and install my driveshaft after Front Range Driveline is done making it the right size. Truck and trailer are all set to go. This year's To-Do list started out as one of my biggest ever, of course that was after I said "well, the Jeep is pretty much good to go as it sits right now" lol. It'll be nice to have it done well before we leave too, that doesn't happen very often. I think it was two years ago I started installing Clayton's with just a couple weeks left, that was kinda pushing it.

Cody
05-12-2008, 07:28 PM
OK, I guess it's time to start thinking about it....

Mount tires on beadlocks
install hydro assist
figure out why I have 2/3 more of a turn left than right--and my steering wheel is dead nuts straight...
permanently install CB
fix stereo
fix a/c
fix washer fluid squirters
check fluids/bolts
if I have time pull apart front shafts and rebuild the CTM's.

hmm, I think thats it. nothing too major I guess.

Ted_Z
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm down to my last items too. I spent last weekend making (and then remaking) the frame side bracket for the new RE HD track bar. All I've got left is to:

* install some tie down points in the rear (for the high lift)
* mount the OBA
* change the gear oil in the rear diff
* allign steering
* swap front drive shaft
* install CB (if it ever shows up, damn Ebay fuckers)

JohnBoulderCO
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm finding more things.
UCA bushing on passenger side shot. Guess I better do that with all the Ball Joints this weekend. :(

BigDaveZJ
05-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Well today started out awesome. I started the truck with the remote start as I'm getting ready this morning since it's cold today. Get in the truck a minute or two later to drive off and all the electrical shit is going absolutely bonkers. Truck drives just fine, but the stereo, gauges, wipers, lights, everything is acting up. Figured I'd drive a little bit see if it went away, nope. Stopped at a gas station to see what the fawk was going on, and dumbass me turned off the truck. Bitch wouldn't start back up. Got some baking soda and water from the gas station and started cleaning off the terminals since they were pretty nasty. Pam came and gave me a jump, took a few tries but it worked. Luckily I had her follow me back to the house cuz it died twice on the way back and needed to get jumped each time. Got the truck in the garage, got Pam back to work, and now I'm at home getting ready to figure out WTF is going on. I think it's the older of the two batteries in the truck. We replaced one of them last summer, and now the other one is showing a LOT of corrosion on the terminals, and seems to be slightly deformed as well. Not really a good thing for a battery. So I'm gonna start by swapping that out and cleaning all the connections really good and hopefully that fixes it.

Cody
05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
when you have dual batteries, it's much much much better to replace them in pairs with the same type of batteries. In my car audio days, if you want to a 2 battery system, you had to do both batteries at the same time regardless of the condition of the first battery.

There is a specific technical reason that I can't remember (it's been 3 years now since I was in car audio) but it has to do with the resistance of the batteries in line with one another....or something haha.....I could find out for you if you really want to know.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
There is a specific technical reason that I can't remember (it's been 3 years now since I was in car audio) but it has to do with the resistance of the batteries in line with one another....or something haha.....I could find out for you if you really want to know.

Well there is your problem...I wouldn't run 2 batteries inline unless I was running a 24volt system:flipoff2:

Cody
05-13-2008, 05:22 PM
you can run them parallel and double the amp hours while maintaing 12 volts.

and actually, there are people that run dual 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 volts. Camp trailer people have been running golf cart batteries that way for a long time.

BigDaveZJ
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Got another battery in there, cleaned everything up, and she works like a champ.

I would've liked to replace both of them at the same time, but the other one that's in there is < 1 year old, so it should be okay. And I've still got the free 3 year replacement warranty on them too, so if it acts up again I'll just swap them both out.

Cody
05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
nice, so the other will fail, you'll replace it, then the other one will fail, then you'll replace it.

Sounds like an awesome cycle ;)

One battery will see a greater portion of the load and fail sooner. Thats why you replace them at the same time so they act as a single battery. it would be like having 2 cells within the same battery with differing resistance. Once would be working harder and fail sooner.

at least thats how I understand it. I'm by no means an electrician.

BigDaveZJ
05-13-2008, 05:29 PM
so if it acts up again I'll just swap them both out.

nice, so the other will fail, you'll replace it, then the other one will fail, then you'll replace it.

Sounds like an awesome cycle ;)

One battery will see a greater portion of the load and fail sooner. Thats why you replace them at the same time so they act as a single battery. it would be like having 2 cells within the same battery with differing resistance. Once would be working harder and fail sooner.

at least thats how I understand it. I'm by no means an electrician.

:cool:

Considering how awesome of a job the guy at Wal-Mart did checking to make sure the old batt was actually shot (didn't even look at it) it shouldn't be too hard to swap them both out if/when the time comes.

fpkites
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Dem Wawlmort guyz is smart cookies :D

Cody
05-13-2008, 06:22 PM
now that there is a good call...now take the old one down there and have him swap it for a new one and you're gravy.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
you can run them parallel and double the amp hours while maintaing 12 volts.

and actually, there are people that run dual 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 volts. Camp trailer people have been running golf cart batteries that way for a long time.

Ya I know, just busting your balls...inline = series is what I was bsing about:)

Cody
05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
i didn't realize inline specifically referred to series. The way I look at it batteries can be wired in line to give you double the voltage or double the amperage.

chadjans
05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
OK, I guess it's time to start thinking about it....
figure out why I have 2/3 more of a turn left than right--and my steering wheel is dead nuts straight...

Check you drag link length

fpkites
05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
The list is getting shorter!

Reinstall KOR steering brace after I hear back from Dan (Dan, check your PMs!)
Reinstall front skid, remove passenger side JKS storage pin (tire rubs on it)
Address axle/driveline stuff:
Light clunk from the rear when alternating from power to coast, thinking u-joints
Mild vibe/groan from right rear (front shaft is out, so not coming from there) - probably wheel bearings :(

Fluids:
Engine oil
TC fluid
Front diff
More fawkin grease in those CAs - bastards are thirsty! :D

Better do plugs again this year, hoping for a repeat performance of 1 tank Denver to Moab.

Junkyard run for a spare front driveshaft and hopefully I can find a driver u-jointed axle shaft with tone rings.

*Edit: Dan, nevermind - Kev sent me an email yesterday that I finally saw today.

Ted_Z
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
My list is getting shorter too. Got the OBA done and the CB showed up.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Still waiting on my shocks:( 2 weeks 2 days and counting.

ZJ TINS
05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Another FYI, when 2 batteries are connected in parallel, the battery which has the highest voltage will discharge by charging the other battery until they come to equal voltage.
For large lead acid batteries the discharge curve and life curve are both significant. This means for a new and old battery in parallel, the new battery will drain quite a bit trying to get the old battery to achieve same voltage.
I have no clue for car batteries what the reccomendation is for replacement. A guess would be (for lead acid) if one dies and the other is beyond 40% of warranteed life don't replace both. You will probable end up with 1.5 x (or less) instead of 2x available power.

Z
05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
What the hell, here's my list:
1. Install belly skid
2. Install front skid
3. Install spare tire skid
4. Install rear fascia skids
5. Install fabbed rear hitch bezel replacement
6. Spare tire mounted on a steelie that doesn't fit front brake calipers, mount spare on AEV Pintler instead.
7. Install CB, antenna and hopefully external speaker.

Might consider removing my front bumper cover for GSW.

BigDaveZJ
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
You gonna be ready to go for Sunday Tom??

Z
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
You gonna be ready to go for Sunday Tom??

To the dirt road? :) Sure.

Almost everything is bolt-on - some is at the powdercoaters, hope to get that back by Friday.

I won't have the CB installed by then, though.

SCAMPER ZJ
05-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Got a call, the Bilstein's should be showing up today! :D

OK. . .I had a feeling something would probably go wrong (it always does). The shocks are too short. I'm having another set 2-day shipped, maybe Friday now. Also, the wrong axle was sent, they did the outer for a disconnect, even though they were told I'm replacing the disconnect and blocking it. Ack!! Should be here Friday too. The PIAA 525's arrived, and I don't like them - the low is a yellow beam. I decided to go with 520 SMR's with chrome housing instead, and there's a set in Denver so I should have them tomorrow.

Got the class 5 hitch installed today but ran out of time to pick up the trailer. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. Also, stopped by Rockin S Performance (http://www.rspdiesel.com/) east of Ft Lupton, ordered some pillar gauges (turbo, EGT, tranny). I was thinking of doing the intake and exhaust at the same time but I am so totally and completely over budget at this point it's not even funny. I have to draw the line somewhere!!

fpkites
05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Hope the truck's comfy for sleeping in Stan, you may need it :D

BigDaveZJ
05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Had to replace the alternator in the parking lot at work in a hail storm today. That pretty much sucked. Turns out the batteries weren't the root cause of the problem the other day. Got the driveshaft back from Front Range, gonna slap it in tomorrow night, and then we should be about set!

EDIT: Gotta clean the Human Cooling System and change the diff fluid right before we go, but other than that we're set. I'm gonna be pissed if something else goes wrong on the truck though.

SCAMPER ZJ
05-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Hope the truck's comfy for sleeping in Stan, you may need it :D

No doubt!!

DansZJ
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I have 300 break-in miles on the new gears/axles and went out for a shake down run yesterday. Really happy with the rig and the investment in both axles.

I have to do something about the shock mounts on the rear axle, as I only have 2" of up travel so I was bottoming them out all day. That was annoying and bad for the shocks. I might be cutting the stock ZJ mounts off and use them. That or add a 1"spacer and be done with it.

9 days until I head out!

fpkites
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Sheesh Dan, you know as well as all of us do - if it don't fit, lift it! :D

Edit: Things banged out today:

Rear driveshaft rebuilt (joints)
Front shaft reinstalled (DC side is kinda sloppy, but I don't have the time to mess with rebuilding it)

Next up: Driver's side motor mount - good thing people have posted up saying to check them, that one's fried...vatozone crapola :( Went Napa this time.

fpkites
05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Again, glad people have recommended checking out the motor mounts - my driver side mount was FUCKED!!! The bracket was fine, but the only reason for that is the bushing was totally fuckered.

No more Autozone MMs for me - went with Napa this time, and we'll see what happens - if I have another one go, I may think about Mopar.

Another thing that sucks is you can't fully bolt the bitch up - the second bolt/nut combo that I ended up having (not stock, Ace bolt bin pick). I've got the 2 welded nuts covered, and I put the upper bolt/nut in. Lower bolt is open right now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Z
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I can't believe how long it's taking me to finish this damned build. All skids are now on, replacement hitch bezel is on and nearly finished (still have a trim plate for it to color sand, polish and install).

I also bent back the fender well pinch weld today.

I forgot - I have a trail worthy rear driveshaft on order, hopefully that will be available before GSW. (Stock drive shaft is 30 inches in diameter, made from paper-thin aluminum and has the a rubber boot at the axle side - just waiting to get ripped off on the trail. Okay, maybe the stock one is more like 6 inches in diameter, but that damned boot should have been on the transfer case side, not the axle side!)

Still need to install the CB & antenna and I think I'm done.

ZJ TINS
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Well after 7 hours of pretty much non stop effort I got Kevins cross member in. Not a design fault just a 96 ZJ from the rust belt is a bitch to be reckoned with. Broke 2 drill bits (Dewalts), broke 2 nuts or whatever holds the bolts into the frame. Cut one bolt off and tried to removing another brokwen bolt to no avail. Ended up modding Kevin’s design a little by adding some cross bolts (see pic.) Seems sturdy now that I am done, the stock cross member and plated are twisted and trashed.
Also installed the SPAL Efan controller only to find the fan I had can’t provide sufficient air flow, bummer. May just try the auto wrecker and try a Taurus fan. The SPAL is a PWM controller so it should control the peaks, or not.

fpkites
05-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Tom, I'm really looking forward to seeing your build - you've done a helluva lot to that beast.

All that's left:

Fluid changes (TC, crankcase)
Grease the damn CAs some more
AC is getting fixed by Astro on Friday
KOR steering brace back on
Plugs
Order a dash mount for my GPS - Velcro is pissing me off (this is done as of 5 minutes ago :D)

SCAMPER ZJ
05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Bilsteins: INSTALLED
PIAA 520 SMR's: INSTALLED
New front passenger side axle and block for disconnect: INSTALLED/COMPLETED

Still waiting for the MasterPull synthetic winch line. Also, t-case not working now??? Stuck in 2-wheel, will have to look at it tomorrow or Tuesday. Tow-in adjusted and all wheels at same PSI, still some death wobble issues so I'm having the tires balanced in the AM - if that doesn't take care of it, I'll rotate the tires from front to rear in case it's a wear issue (seem even enough though) and then replace the steering shock and so on.

If it's not one thing, it's another. . .

PassRunnerZJ
05-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Stan - track bar bushing?

1. Winch physically installed, need to finish wiring it and test it
2. Platinum Diehard installed - better be a good f'ing battery
(Had to get the 34/78 to get the side post lugs to attach the air compressor wiring and winch connectors)
3. Oil and spark plugs changed
4. Can't change tires until after next Wednesday as I have to drive to Delta to take an XP Pro MCP test, maybe I'll change the speedo gear early and GPS it.
5. Got my 18 year old graduated:partyman:

Good thing I took all of next week off...

SCAMPER ZJ
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
HA! Stupid Jeep. . .OK, turned out the reason my t-case suddenly wasn't working was because the shifter rod had worked its way out of the shifter rod bracket (on the driver's side frame rail). Couldn't for the life of me figure out how it had happened. . .it worked just fine going from 4-low to RWD after my last trip. I think what happened is when we were flexing it up to test the new shocks, it just flexed the whole unibody so much it popped out.

MasterPull winch line and fairlead: INSTALLED
New beefy steering shock: INSTALLED
Death wobble problem addressed: to be determined. . .

*EDIT* Todd, I'll take a look at the track bar bushing in the AM. Good thought.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-20-2008, 11:55 PM
1) Shocks arrived today, installing tomorrow night.
2) Head down to K&K Surplus on Saturday to pick up some stock and extend my bump stops.
3) Replace LCA bushings in the rear tomorrow night.
4) Alignment & tire balancing.

SCAMPER ZJ
05-21-2008, 12:28 AM
1) Shocks arrived today, installing tomorrow night.

Yeah! The 5150's, right Ryan?

ArloGuthroJeep
05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Nay, 5125's - Kolak talked me out of 5150's...

Matt
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Is it officially crunch time?

JohnBoulderCO
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Is it officially crunch time?

Yes. I took my Jeep to a shop last Friday to get the ball joints replaced. I knew I was running out of time.

The rest of my list is minor, so I can bang that out in the evenings or this upcoming weekend.

Z
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow, my list is pretty short now:
1. Install CB (need to disassemble interior components, so not necessarily trivial).
2. Install external CB speaker (cutting into dash cover - a little scary).
3. Run CB antenna wire to antenna.
4. Install antenna.

If time permits, I may also:
5. Replace center console armrest padding. The paper towel the factory uses for padding does not provide much comfort for long drives.
6. Fab more side protection for rear bumper. I'm a little worried that the 1 inch tubing doesn't extend far enough to protect the fascia on the Golden Crack.

Matt
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm sure the oil surge this week will show up at the pumps next week, just in time. Whooo Hoooo :smt107

Dave, am I still first in the 4.0 line for the strap offer? :rolleyes:

K2
05-21-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm sure the oil surge this week will show up at the pumps next week, just in time. Whooo Hoooo :smt107

Dave, am I still first in the 4.0 line for the strap offer? :rolleyes:

I called shotgun man!

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showpost.php?p=195368&postcount=12

BigDaveZJ
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I've just gotta put the Sirius back in the ZJ, clean the HCS still, and change the diff fluid if I don't feel like being lazy, then load it all up on the trailer. Feels kinda weird not having a bunch of stuff to do at the last minute!

Cody
05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I haven't even started any of my stuff yet. I'm going to try and look into it on Monday lol.

Sandy R
05-23-2008, 04:07 AM
I haven't even started any of my stuff yet. I'm going to try and look into it on Monday lol.

Promises, promises! You know you won't start until next Friday in the City Market parking lot before the driver's meet. :D

ArloGuthroJeep
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Pressing in some new rear LCA bushings I couldn't do it with the ball joint press so we resorted to using the vice with a 3ft breaker bar on it (my old tierod). Yeah I knew this was a bad idea. We snapped the vice in two. Wasn't a crappy vice...was an old-school heavy as hell big vice. Off to my friends place tonight to use his 20 ton press:shake:

Cody
05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Promises, promises! You know you won't start until next Friday in the City Market parking lot before the driver's meet. :D

Maybe. I can wheel it how it is, I don't NEED every little nut and bolt to be touched by a wrench or freshly painted or fresh fluids in every cavity to go to GSW.

The only thing I feel like I really NEED to do is get the steering box brace on. After that, whatever else I get done is just gravey.

fpkites
05-23-2008, 11:39 AM
What Ryan, you didn't learn from my fuckup? I was only pressing out u-joints when I snapped my antique Prentiss vise.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
It snapped a 1" thick piece of cast u-channel (the guide)...wasn't even the screw parts...I mean really. At least the vice was free. Although now I am viceless and have 3 holes in my work bench where a vice belongs:\

BigDaveZJ
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe. I can wheel it how it is, I don't NEED every little nut and bolt to be touched by a wrench or freshly painted or fresh fluids in every cavity to go to GSW.

The only thing I feel like I really NEED to do is get the steering box brace on. After that, whatever else I get done is just gravey.

Just remember this year if one of those little nuts and bolts falls off YOU get to fix it this time! :flipoff2:

ArloGuthroJeep
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Assuming you don't blow apart all your tires again Dave, you won't be driving his Jeep anyways:flipoff2:

fpkites
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Ryan has a damn good point there Dave :rofl:

Wow Ryan - I would have thought the shaft would be the point of failure. I snapped the Acme-threaded portion of mine. At least I have a prayer of fixing the bitch, just have to find somebody that can do it.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I am going to try and bevel down the points of breaks and attempt a cast welding job. Can't hurt...

Colorado 5.9
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM
People wonder why I do buissiness with High Country 4X4. One reason is because whenever I needed control arm bushings replaced I took them over to HC & they did it for free & while I waited.:)

ArloGuthroJeep
05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I work during the day and HC 4x4 is about 4900990 miles away from me:flipoff2:

fpkites
05-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Ryan, your bathroom is 4900990 miles away from you :finga:

Z
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Scored some scrap 5/16" plate over the lunch break. Guess I need to break out the angle grinder again and fab up some extra "crack" protection for my rear fascia.

Cody
05-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Just remember this year if one of those little nuts and bolts falls off YOU get to fix it this time! :flipoff2:

Isolated incident.

you're welcome

fpkites
05-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Woohoo! 40 degree AC!

Got back from Astro Automotive a little while ago, and the AC is nice and chilly. It was the accumulator as I suspected, also the schrader valves - both were leaking.

Colorado 5.9
05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I wish I could figure out what's wrong with mine.

Mtn WJ
05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
It snapped a 1" thick piece of cast u-channel (the guide)...wasn't even the screw parts...I mean really. At least the vice was free. Although now I am viceless and have 3 holes in my work bench where a vice belongs:\

I guess we all have our vicess

Mtn WJ
05-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Scored some scrap 5/16" plate over the lunch break. Guess I need to break out the angle grinder again and fab up some extra "crack" protection for my rear fascia.

Ok on my smart ass streak

Yes Tom please protect us from your rear crack.

Z
05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Ok on my smart ass streak

Yes Tom please protect us from your rear crack.

"smart ass...rear crack"

What the hell do you have on your mind Keith?

JohnBoulderCO
05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I work during the day and HC 4x4 is about 4900990 miles away from me:flipoff2:

I suggest going to ORI in Broomfield, close by, 4x4 guys, if you get into a pinch for time. They did my ball joints.

SCAMPER ZJ
05-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Gauges, intake, and exhaust for tow rig in. Should have done the chip at the same time, oh well. . .

AprilzWarrior
05-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Today I dropped in m7 88gal Aux fuel tank in the Tow Rig. Shes waxed and ready to roll.

I also shipped 2 Long Horn bulls to the market and Im wiped out.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I suggest going to ORI in Broomfield, close by, 4x4 guys, if you get into a pinch for time. They did my ball joints.

I'll keep that in mind for other work...I came this close |---| to buying a 20 ton press today buyt couldn't pull the trigger. I ended up going to a guy in my clubs garage to use his press. Knocked out 1.5 CA bushings in 30 minutes. So much easier with the right tool:supz:

SCAMPER ZJ
05-24-2008, 11:54 PM
It never ends. Death wobble worsening, just about threw me into a truck going in the opposite direction this evening after hitting a little bump at 35mph. Pulled over and looked things over, this time the lower bushing on the track bar seemed loose. . .it wasn't before, and by the time I got home, I couldn't get it to budge again (tried turning the steering wheel, bouncing the suspension, and so on). Anyway, it DID wiggle some on the side of the road, so I'm going to get both bushings on the track bar done hopefully Tuesday. If that takes care of it, I probably have you to thank, Todd. (BTW Tom L. in GJ says "hi" - he won't be at GSW this year, but my brother-in-law Zach and his boy Kyle will be, I think you know them from soccer.)

Cue-Ball
05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Today I dropped in m7 88gal Aux fuel tank in the Tow Rig. Shes waxed and ready to roll.

I also shipped 2 Long Horn bulls to the market and Im wiped out.

SWEET, I think I just need to pack my clothes, dig out my winch kit, set up an out of office note on my email at the office and that should about do it.

Lastly drive down to AW's EARLY on Weds. morning and then hit the road!!!!

Colorado 5.9
05-25-2008, 12:25 AM
It never ends. Death wobble worsening, just about threw me into a truck going in the opposite direction this evening after hitting a little bump at 35mph. Pulled over and looked things over, this time the lower bushing on the track bar seemed loose. . .it wasn't before, and by the time I got home, I couldn't get it to budge again (tried turning the steering wheel, bouncing the suspension, and so on). Anyway, it DID wiggle some on the side of the road, so I'm going to get both bushings on the track bar done hopefully Tuesday. If that takes care of it, I probably have you to thank, Todd. (BTW Tom L. in GJ says "hi" - he won't be at GSW this year, but my brother-in-law Zach and his boy Kyle will be, I think you know them from soccer.)

If that does not work keep in mind it could be the caster is off. Not enough +.

PassRunnerZJ
05-25-2008, 06:31 PM
I used polyurethan (sp) busings when the factory one gave me DW. All it takes is one DW and the busing is shot and has to be replaced. Also, if the bolt was any kind of loose it could have ovaled out the front bolt hole and a washer weld would be a good temp fix. I ended up welding a plug in my old trackbar bolt hole, drilling it out to the correct diameter, and then welding another plate on top of it 3/16" (I think) drilled out for extra reinforcement. I bolted the extra plate in and tacked it in to keep it lined up.

Also, I drilled it out and went 1mm larger in bolt size the first time is started ovaling out with the BB.

Just a few more days. Finished modifying my custom swaybar disconnects after finding issues when I went to 33's and hopefully they will work better. Replaced the worn out factory swaybar bushings too, now it stays up all by its self.:)

Check the fluids, swap on the 33's, change the speedo gear, check the control arm bushings and I think I'm ready except for packing clothes and spares.

Sandy R
05-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Shocks in. Oil & filter change to go and hopefully that's it with no surprises.

AprilzWarrior
05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
SWEET, I think I just need to pack my clothes, dig out my winch kit, set up an out of office note on my email at the office and that should about do it.

Lastly drive down to AW's EARLY on Weds. morning and then hit the road!!!!

Shipped 6 more Bulls today, Jeep is getting all my attention tomorrow for sure !