PDA

View Full Version : GSSE 08

ATL ZJ
02-13-2008, 12:32 AM
We're under the 6th month mark... Tellico is closed for a while, but I'd like to get some input on Tellico vs. Harlan, KY for this year's event.

The final decision on location will be made sometime in May.

You can still mark your calendars for the first weekend in August, as always.

-Cam

northgazj
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Cam, how big is Harlan and how far is it from the ATL? Most of the pictures and videos I have seen from Harlan show some fairly extreme trails with lots of body damage. Would Windrock offer more variety for the hardcore to mild rigs and a more centralized location?

ATL ZJ
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Mike, we are certainly open to recommendations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I have heard about Windrock is that there are a limited number of challenging trails, which might narrow our options for a 3 day event. Windrock is still on my list of places to visit, as I've never been- so there is the issue of locating a trail guide that knows the area extremely well.

Harlan is roughly 6 hrs. from ATL I believe. Wheeling and camping are free, and any vehicle (DOT legal or not) is allowed on the streets of Evarts, KY, so the towing to the trail issue that some are faced with at Tellico is avoided. The trails you've seen are probably the more buggy-friendly ones, like Can Opener and Lion's Den. Unlike Tellico, most of the trails are short, and fairly close together, so you don't have to commit to running every single obstacle that your group does that day and there is a decent mix of moderate and difficult trails.

As far as geography goes, a huge portion of our group came from the East TN/ Western NC area last year. I'd love to have the event at Gray Rock or Morris Mtn, but I think we'd see an entirely different group. Also, any location changes for 2008 will be re-evaluated for the next year in light of any legislation affecting Tellico.

wheelNC94GC
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I would love to go to harlan! I'm in the process of my build right now but I'm planning on having it up and goin by the start of this summer...so count me in! I've heard lots of similar things about windrock that you have ATL ZJ.

revlimiter
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Muddtacks and I will be there. Tellico or Harlan.

rradford9
02-14-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm coming again...Had a blast at my first GSSE last year. Maybe I'll be to stay for more than 1 day this time!

I'd be interested in Harlan or Windrock. We went to Windrock in the fall. There are 2 REALLY difficult trails: Rattle Rock and the Rail Trail. We had a good time on some moderate stuff, but I'd say you could run everything in 1 day, 2 days max.

rradford9
02-14-2008, 12:25 AM
I've never been, but what about Callantee in Mtn City, TN? How are the trails there? I know there are some pretty difficult stuff, but what about moderate/mild?

piku303
02-14-2008, 01:44 AM
id vote for grayrock. awsome place. TONS of super hard trails(alabama boys dont play) as well as a good bit of moderate stuff. both times ive been ive been open front and rear on 32's and had a blast with no body damage. the park has a huge camping area as well.

Pearce
02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I'd say Harlin over Windrock. We went to Windrock a couple years ago and it was nice but I think Harlin would be more fun from what I've heard about it.

zukinut
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Harlan costs like 10 bucks a night for camping. But you can put like 5 tents in one spot so seriously camping only costs like a buck a night.

Harlan has easy trails and harlan has nasty trails. If you go straight to harlan from atlanta its right at 6 hours.

If you break in tellico your miles from crawfords. If you break at harlan, even at the farthest part of the park, your only maybe 10 minutes from the campground. They will not hassle you about driving on the roads there no matter what you have.

I know the trail system VERY well. As does the rest of the tn crew.

Ill post up some videos tomorrow. I have to get ready for the valentines thing tonight.

Will

MUDDTRACKS
02-15-2008, 05:09 AM
yeah me and shane were just talking about this yesterday and looky looky here it is. cant wait. o and if that nutinzuk is coming im going to bring him a bigger hammer for that hood.:eek:

OverkillZJ
02-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm hoping to make it to either place with the Zuk this year, but I said that last year with the ZJ :(

northgazj
02-15-2008, 10:51 AM
yeah me and shane were just talking about this yesterday and looky looky here it is. cant wait. o and if that nutinzuk is coming im going to bring him a bigger hammer for that hood.:eek:

Or one to straighten a wheel to keep the water from spewing out. :finga:

zukinut
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Its sittin on 38.5s with rockathon rock 8 beadlocks now. No more beatin the wheels, haha.

It should be 4 linked in the rear by then too.

Yall come to harlan, i got 100 bucks says nobody can hit canopener harder than me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-911910553313491889

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2476957390802354433

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4206302804937636793

I really really wanna do gsse at harlan this year. Ive been to tellico, morris mtn, and harlan and ive seen videos of the other parks in the south. Harlan is by far the best wheelin and you cant beat the closeness of camp, motels are within 5 miles, and there is a restaraunt in the campground.

S-10 Seanzy
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Its sittin on 38.5s with rockathon rock 8 beadlocks now. No more beatin the wheels, haha.

It should be 4 linked in the rear by then too.

Yall come to harlan, i got 100 bucks says nobody can hit canopener harder than me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-911910553313491889

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2476957390802354433

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4206302804937636793

I really really wanna do gsse at harlan this year. Ive been to tellico, morris mtn, and harlan and ive seen videos of the other parks in the south. Harlan is by far the best wheelin and you cant beat the closeness of camp, motels are within 5 miles, and there is a restaraunt in the campground.

That's because the locals won't let you hit it hard if you have more horsepower than a lawn mower. :flipoff2:

Like Will said, Harlan is simply badass. There are bypasses around all of the spots that will cause body damage. However, for you guys that like it, you will be right at home. I've certainly gotten my fair share of it there. There are trails in Harlan for everybody...from mild to EXTREMELY WILD. You guys will not be disappointed if you decide to come.

Sean

cooperzj
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Those videos are pretty cool. Looks like a LOT of body damage. Also a LOT of broken parts. While I am caring less and less about my sheet metal- I'm not sure I want to subject my ZJ to that kind of abuse.

I'm going either way. Just saying...

ATL ZJ
04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Those videos are on some of the harder trails... We have at least two groups at this event- one of which will cater to those trying to "drive it home like they brought it" and another group that likes the harder stuff.

MUDDTRACKS
04-26-2008, 01:45 AM
i plan to drive it like i stole it cant wait :driving: :smt100

bnboffroad
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I PLAN TO SMASH IT LIKE LUCIEFER HIMSELF HAD THE HAMMER:smt067