PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Releases A Brand New Gear Lube Specifically For Competition Use

Cue-Ball
02-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Well I do my best to bring you all cutting edge ideas and products, so you heard it here FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

Amsoil Corp. has been working directly with one of my W.E.Rock teams to develope a brand new gear lube designed specifically for the riggers of rock crawling, rock racking, and drag racing applications.

It is the new SAE 190 and SAE 250 Amsoil Gear Lube.

It has been formulated to take the abuse of EXTREME motorsports.

Below is the blurb from the website about the product and stay turned for a complete write up from my W.E.Rock team after a complete evaluation of the product in a competition situation.

Amsoil is working closely with ARB as well as other locker manufactures and this is slatted to be the gear lube of choice for extreme competition, so stay turned for more details.

I just wanted to get this out there so you know what is available. Yes this is available NOW and I will be running special pricing from now through the end of March to try and get the word out about this awesome new product.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Now onto the blurb from the Amsoil site:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are premium grade, extreme pressure gear lubes engineered specifically for the demands of severe racing conditions. They are formulated with shear stable, heavy synthetic base oils for “high film strength” and extra heavy treatments of additives. Their synthetic formulations provide improved flow over conventional oils, reducing viscous drag and power loss. Severe Gear SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubes provide a barrier cushion between metal surfaces that absorbs impact. AMSOIL proprietary extreme pressure additives form an iron-sulfide barrier coating on gear surfaces for the ultimate line of defense against wear, pitting and scoring.

PERFORMANCE
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are specifically engineered for high horsepower, high torque conditions where centrifugal gear lube sling-off is encountered. These tenacious formulations cling to gears and bearings for the best possible protection during shock loading, high G-forces and where pinion gears are installed at steep angles. Custom Severe Gear Synthetic Gear Lubricants provide exceptional reliability and extended gear life.

• Protects gears from shock loading and tire shake
• Resists sling-off from G-forces and high speeds
• Clings to gears - high pinion style and at steep angles
• Promotes cooler operating temperatures
• Protects against rust and corrosion
• Extends gear and bearing life

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are excellent for severe differential applications, including off-road truck racing, rock racing, rock crawling, tractor pulling, funny car racing and dragster racing. Other severe duty applications include heavy duty trucks and equipment where increased lubricant film is necessary. These oils are recommended for use in hypoid gear differentials and other applications requiring a high viscosity, API GL-5 gear lube. Where limited slip performance is required, use AMSOIL Slip-Lock® limited slip additive.

Service Life
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are intended for severe racing and other applications where extended drain intervals are not beneficial. AMSOIL recommends changing the lubricant as conditions dictate. Where extended drain intervals are desired, AMSOIL recommends monitoring by oil analysis.

Mixing AMSOIL
AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic SAE 190 and SAE 250 Gear Lubricants are compatible with conventional and synthetic automotive gear oils. Mixing AMSOIL gear oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oils.

Health & Safety
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended application and according to the recommendations in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). An MSDS is available upon request at 715-392-7101 or via the internet at www.AMSOIL.com/msds (http://www.amsoil.com/msds). Keep out of reach of children. Don’t pollute. Return used oil to collection centers.

As always I always offer special pricing to W.E.Rock and XRRA competitors, and any MC members so hit me up if you want pricing on these or any other Amsoil fluids!!!!!!

Cue-Ball
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
This just in from Dustin Webster of the Red Bull Rockcrawlers:

FYI, we are that team. Last year after having our second ARB issue in the spring, we began looking into solutions. We knew the problem was coming from two sources, one was the engagement of the 9" locker isn't exactly beefy because the room for a locker inside a 9" ring-gear is TINY compared to a dana 60. The next issue is simply shock-loading.

The problem in the 9" situation is definitly shock loading and after speaking with another wheeler, he suggested a certain brand and heavy weight gear lube to solve the problem. That weekend, while at CORR in Chula Vista, I was chatting with Steve Barlow, the Red Bull CORR driver about their shockloading issues and he said it was a thing of the past. They used to chage center sections every race, now, with a new prototype oil they were testing, they were still on the same center thay started the season with, including a number of practice days. I asked him what it was and he explained it was something new and I couldn't get it as there were only a few people slated to run it during the testing phase.

I then spoke to the engineer that designed it and he showed me the properties of how shockloading really does do a ton of damage and how a simple cushion barrier of oil can mitigate those effects. He said to wait until winter, when they would have their first tests complete, and then I could get some for the RockHer. Winter came, and with Barlow finishing the season with a smile on his face from no more center section issues, we're stoked to be one of the first to get into the new oil.

I don't have any real results yet as we really haven't run the crawler much, but I look forward to seeing the same results as so many. It makes sense what is causing the issues so many are having and for those looking for far more protection for the ARB engagement, or those that abuse gearsets, this will end up being a far cheaper method of gaining life for your differentials. Barlow siad it multiplied the life of his stuff by dozens of times. Immagine if it does that in a full on CORR Pro 2 and Pro 4 truck, what it'll do for a crawler/trailrig/and especially rockracer!

We'll post back with some results as we get them.

Cue-Ball
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Here is the latest repost from Dustin and the crew at Red Bull Rock Crawlers

To start off, I will say that our team uses our ARB’s in a manner far beyond the recommendations of the manufacturer. This version of the ARB air locker was never intended for such extreme use but because of our competition needs, we use it anyway, with full knowledge of the damage we are causing, and the breakage risks we are running. For the 2008 competition season, we chose to try a completely different angle to try and make our ARB RD99 Air Lockers withstand the abuse we put them through. Instead of internal modifications or high tech parts, we tried a simple change of gear lube that was recommended to us by Steve Barlow (CORR Racing Pro 4 and Pro 2 team).

Over the years we have pulled our ARB's for disassembly every 3 events, which equals about 14 days of competition, practice, and trailrunning. Each time we service our differentials, we breakdown the ARB Air Locker to inspect the complete locker. Because of the extreme way we use our ARB's (which is totally against the manufacturer's recommendation), we have found severe wear on the ARB Clutch Gear, minor wear on the Flange Cap Assembly and Splined Side Gear, and then collateral damage on the Seal Housing…all are expensive repairs.

In our current use, we were finding we needed replacement of the above parts at every teardown. The shock-loading on the internal engagement parts was just too great and the parts essentially were “broaching” one another as they engaged and disengaged under huge loads, again, fully against the manufacturer’s operation recommendations. The clutch gear took the worst hits and the damage to that part, on a scale of 10 (10 being “damaged beyond use”), was usually at 9.5.

Well, at the beginning of the season, we made the jump to a new product from AMSOIL. Iit's official, the swap to Severe Gear 250-weight gear oil has dramatically reduced the ARB locking collar wear in our 9" differentials. During this most recent teardown, we found that Flange Cap Assembly, the Splined Side Gear, and the Seal Housing showed zero wear and that the Clutch Gear showed minimal wear. Using the scale represented above, the damage to the clutch Gear was only around a 5. BUT, here’s the kicker…this is the SECOND teardown cycle on the those parts. They have gone twice the length of time and currently have half the wear, or less.

Our take on this is that the special properties in Severe Gear have dramatically reduced the shock-loading on the engagement system and provided a far stronger buffer for when the non-synchro gear section of the clutch is tying to sync and engage under HUGE loads. We saw zero negatives in making the switch and positives that give us big returns in gear and locker life, and more importantly, “peace of mind” that we’ll have less failure and repairs.

Going further into this, we want to thank Kevin Dinwiddie one of AMSOIL’s Engineers, for taking the time to answer all of our questions when we had him pinned against the wall in an area he wasn’t fully understanding. He took the time to research our questions about our needs and recommended the 250 weight over the 190 weight, simply for it’s extra shock-load resisting properties. Also, thanks to Dirk at www.4x4oil.com (http://www.4x4oil.com/) for putting up with our mindless rants about the problems we have had over the years. It’s crazy that in our case, this is the second major save by his products…thanks Dirk!

And for full disclosure, we have recently partnered with 4x4oil.com and they are our official oil supplier, however, that has no bearing on our results or reports of success with 4x4Oil’s products…we are still beating on our rockcrawlers and rockracers as hard as ever and the reports we are giving are 100% upfront and real.

Cue-Ball
10-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Well since I truly feel this product will help out alot of the comp guys out there, why don't we run a sale on this product from now until the end of Nov.

If you are interested in trying out this great product and using what the PRO's use then hit me up and I will get you the best pricing possible. Just mention you want to try the gear lube Dustin/Becca run when you PM or email and I will get you taken care of!!!!!!!

Cue-Ball
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Not only am I going to offer huge discounts on the racing series gear lube, but also the multi-weights as well.

This will include the entire Severe Gear line of lube
75w-90
75w-110
75w-140
SAE 190
SAE 250

Hell if you want to make the change and install heavy duty diff covers I can give you a screamin deal on a RuffStuff Specialties diff cover with your gear lube purchase.

Just let me know.

Dirk

LouisianaZJ
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
how does it work for a rig that is driven to/from the trail (not DD) that is currenly running 145 oil

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
That should not be a problem.

The Red Bull junkyard TJ is also a "drive to the trail" rig and they are running the 190 weight in that.

Infact for the 2009 KOH race they are planning to drive the TJ from their place to the race, compete in the race, and then drive home.

They just ordered some custom Spider 9's front/rear to swap out the 44's they ran last year.

O'Tool
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
How about for Daily Drivers?

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I would not use the 190 or 250 for a DD, but the 75w-90, 75w-110 and 75w-140 are all GREAT for DD's.

ATL ZJ
10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Dirk, how is this formula different than Red Line's shockproof gear oil? It's called something like that. Saw it in the speedway catalog last night. Sorry if this question is getting into chemistry over our heads..

I need to go ahead and get that steering fluid from you too.

Cam

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
A bit over my head chemically speaking.

I will try to find out from the factory.

As for the steering you should still have a price from me I think, just shoot it over to me via PayPal and I will get it rolling for you.

Dirk

ATL ZJ
10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Cool. Don't kill yourself trying to find out if they are secretive about it. Just curious.

The paypal has been sent.

Cam

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Payment received. I will let you know when it ships.

Thanks.

Dirk

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Cam you ATH steering fluid shipped out today and you will have it on Friday.

Thanks for the order.

Dirk

Cue-Ball
10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Don't forget I can do package deal with RSS diff covers or any of the other products RSS carries as well.

Dirk

93ZeeJ
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
which multi weight should i be using for my rear diff

dont ever tow
sees offroad rock crawling in Colorado
D44a w/ trac lock and 4.10s
Daily Driver

right now i have the Amsoil 75w 90 but am curious if i should be using something higher like 110

im needing to order some for when my Blue Torch Fab cover comes in

Cue-Ball
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
The Severe Gear 75w-140 would be the best for your application.

I typically recommend this as the default, but I also checked online and that is what is recommended for your vehicle.

Let me know if you want some pricing.

Dirk

93ZeeJ
11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
The Severe Gear 75w-140 would be the best for your application.

I typically recommend this as the default, but I also checked online and that is what is recommended for your vehicle.

Let me know if you want some pricing.

Dirk

even though i never do any towing?

so 75w 140 for the rear? and what about the front? is my 75w 90 the best for my application?

( btw the last time i ordered the Amsoil for my diffs from you.. you sent me all 75w 90 so i figured thats what you recommended for both axles )

Cue-Ball
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Let me ask you this do you have a hitch on there? If so I would run the 75w-140 as you could potentially pull something.

If there is no hitch or you will NEVER tow anything you could actually run 75w-90 in both the front and rear.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dirk

93ZeeJ
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Let me ask you this do you have a hitch on there? If so I would run the 75w-140 as you could potentially pull something.

If there is no hitch or you will NEVER tow anything you could actually run 75w-90 in both the front and rear.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dirk

yeah i have a hitch... i have used it once in the 2 1/2 years ive owned the Jeep..and that wasnt even to tow something.. that was to pull someone out of a snowbank

is there any harm in running the 75w 140 and never towing ?

if so should i just use 110 so i have something in the middle ground?

( sorry for all of the questions )

Cue-Ball
11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
No harm at all.

It is really up to you, the price is about the same for either weight actually so it boils down to a personal preference.

ATL ZJ
11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
What about the heavier weight makes it more ideal for towing? I run the 140 in the rearend of my Titan so I should be good, but I'm curious. ...Again ;)

For the majority here who just wheel leisurely and daily drive their rigs, is there an advantage to a heavier weight oil? What if you never tow but use recovery straps to pull other rigs on the trail? I guess what I am getting at is whether it's the prolonged heat of towing a trailer that demands the 140 weight, or the way the gears are loaded during towing/ added stress on the ring and pinion?

Cue-Ball
11-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Towing generates alot more heat in gears than standard driving, so the 140 weight reacts to the heat better, if you were towing with a 90 weight and the heat built up it would thin down way to much to be adequte protection where as the 140 weight would not.

Towing your buddy out from getting stuck does not generate the heat like towing a vehicle does. Towing out your buddy is a short duration so the heavier weight is not required.

Does that help clear it up a little or make it more confusing??

Dirk

93ZeeJ
11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
can you send me a price quote on the Severe Gear 75w 140 pls... for my D44a rear

Cue-Ball
11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Will do.

I will get something over to you later tonight, just runing to take my kid to a dr. appt.

Dirk