PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Recommendations?

ILikeMud
02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Been ages since I've played with stereo systems and I forget 90% of what I knew so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've got an MA Audio HK-401SX 1800W 1 Channel Amp
Specs:
1 x 500W RMS @ 4 Ohm Mono
1 x 650W RMS @ 2 Ohm Mono
1 x 1200W RMS @ 1 Ohm Mono
1 x 1800W RMS @ 0.5 Ohm Mono

I was running it with 1 Ohm mono to a JBL sub but fried the sub, more power then it could handle.

Can someone reccomend a sub (I'd pefer a 10" since I've got a box already) that could stand up to the power this thing kicks out?

AgitatedPancake
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I've heard really good things about the company Fi but don't have any personal experience. I personally have an MTX T9515 (15") and while I love it, I got it for a discount and not sure i'd pay full price for a speaker like it (I got it for $180 new). It claims 1000W RMS but i've been pushing about 1500w to it (not maxing it out often though) without problems. If you have a buddy that works at Circuit City or BestBuy talk to them about prices...trust me.

cashflowdub
02-03-2008, 04:27 PM
MTX T7500 SledgeHammer

i have one of these. very simple to install pounds as hard as 3 12s(honestly) and has a built in amp and is very simple to install. you wont be let down

DJJordache
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
ok um where to start...
PLEASE tell us that your not just adding 1800W of ghetto blasting bass to the factory amped mids and highs.

There is alot more that just throwing a sub in some crappy prefab box. do you want SQ or SPL? you say you want to just put a sub in a box you already have but what is the size of that box? It does make a difference if you put a sub in a box that is too small for the subs displacement and other factors. Now sometimes you have to make compromises for space and I know your not out to build a SQ or SPL monster and just want more bump right:D

Generally (although not always true) you will get more power handling out of a smaller box, with the sacrifice of SQ. If placed in a larger box you could get much better sound but less power handling. Is your box sealed or ported. some subs work better in each design. Then there are SEVERAL different kinds of ported boxes. (TL, snail, iso, bandpass, etc). Sealed boxes usually take up lass space than a ported also.

If you want to just throw a sub in your box, how deep is the mounting depth of that box? and what kind of music do you mostly listen to?

ILikeMud
02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
The box is one I made to the specs of my old JBL 10". GT100 series I believe. Now I'm not opposed to building a new box.
I want sound quality for starters. I don't have any of the factory speakers hook up anymore, just the kick panel ones I swapped in.
If it matters, the head unit is a 2yr old maybe Pioneer Premier unit.

I perfer sealed boxes from what I've heard over the years and I'd like to keep size down, I'm not opposed to have 2 10s or 2 12s but I'd like to not loose too much of my storage room.

I mostly listen to rock (be it alt, heavy metal, classic, etc) but I also listen to just about every other kind of music from rap (old stuff, not this new shit) to classicial. Only thing I don't listen to is country.

wjguy
02-15-2008, 08:12 PM
MTX 9500 OR JL AUDIO W7 BOTH SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR ANY ONE

93z
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
i have a boston g5 10 and love it pounds hard and very clean sound

adam99wj
02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
polk audio 10" , or any of the high end MTX's or infinitys i have a 10" infinity in the wj and it was nice and clear with the rest of the system stock

redline61
02-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Sell you my mtx thunder 9500 10. Make you a good deal.

Cue-Ball
02-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Look into one of these.

Handles 6000 watts each!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

AgitatedPancake
02-16-2008, 06:32 AM
yeah and only weighs like 350lbs also if I remember right.

DJJordache
02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
MTX has an even larger one than that which is 6 FEET! in diameter and they have it in a heavily reinforced bread truck:D

I'm running 2 JL 10W6's "The Originals"

Horus
02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Look into one of these.

Handles 6000 watts each!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that might be a tad too much for a trail rig.:-D

chubrock1021
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a kicker L5 10 in square in a slot port sounds awsome and its clean the box is a spec box i built it doesnt take up a lot of space either i have it on the pass side and its not any wider than the pass side seat

aaronsh2rcvry
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
jl 12w6 or the 12w7

mpsbvp
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
try audiobahn they got some nice 10s that can handel as much as 15s

grandmaster
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Alpine type R;s are the only way to go. They come in sizes ten and 12 and are 1500W a piece. I think that is max though so the RMS would only be 750. But I have 2 twelves and wouldn't trade them for anything (maybe some kickers). But these things hit like you wouldnt believe. Anyway just my 2 cents

adam99wj
02-22-2008, 12:36 AM
i also like the alpine type Rs

DJJordache
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
my brother had one 10" Type R in a custom snail TL box and giving it less than 100 watts rms and it pounds... but the box was huge.... so now it is my home theater sub:D

DanKNesS
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
i like kicker cus they are cheap. go solo X if you got the paper

or JB audio crushes. bad.

wheelinzj93
03-09-2008, 11:53 PM
solerberic is awesome

wonder371
03-11-2008, 01:58 AM
i have a 12" JL W3v2, I have had it for about 6 years. Been a great speaker with no problems. It doesnt need much power either though.

CurtP
03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Pyramid FTW!

:smt044

My philosophy is to spend only as much as you're willing to lose. There's always the chance of some asshole breaking into your vehicle and stealing your shit.

J B
03-11-2008, 08:59 AM
No kidding. I never understood people who put decals on their cars that mentioned the name of electronics gear. Just looked like an advertisement for thieves to me.

ntaousakis
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I dont know if you are interested, but I have a Kicker L7 in the Factory Kicker box. Its a 12" sub. I believe its 750 RMS at 2 ohms. My amp is similar to yours, but its audiobahn. Im selling it for $250 obo + shipping. I have the original shipping box too. If your interested email me at ntaousakis@gmail.com Its in great condition.

dp96zj
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Revival! Anyone else have any recommended products (both subs and amps), or stuff to avoid? I'm looking to beef up the system a little.

ajmorell
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I didn't bother reading the beginning of this thread so if I repeat anything forgive me. I've always been happy with Infinity speakers and subs, even the lower end ones. I have also heard very good things about Boston Acoustics but they come with a price tag too. Not a big Rockford Fosgate fan, they have some decent stuff but for the money there is better stuff out there IMO. As far as amps, usually a good name brand amp will do well, the most important thing is to match the amp to whatever you are driving with it. Even the subs will suck with a shitty amp. When I look at an amp the most important spec in my mind is the RMS power and the output configurations.

WJJEEPIN
02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
So I've worked for a few different shops over the years, both circuit shitty, GG and a small custom shop. JL is a staple and cant go wrong with either their amps or subs, all are top notch. I personally like Boston Accoustics. I have had their speakers and they are really clean. I currently have 2 of their 12" Pro series subs and when I had 1500 RMS going to them they DUMPED! So much so that you could feel it in your chest. BA can hold good power and has clean professional quality sound.

If you just want to slump then get any old sub, MTX or Rockford Fosgate (really any moderatly price sub) and a ported box and it will be nice and loud. If you want a clean sound and nice filler bass for drums and 808 then get a sealed box. It will be quieter but will be tight and clean.

Alpine amps are quality. They tend to be less frills than others but are long lasting good amps.

Rockford Fosgate used to be the bomb, till they went mainstream and started selling to Best Buy. They have gotten better.

I could ramble on all night, it really comes down to what type of music you listen to and what type of sound your looking for.

grandmaster
02-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Stay away from Sony....at least as far as speakers go.

paulkeith
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I've been supremely happy with my elemental designs 11ov.2. Small sealed box, really kind of went after sound quality. I had two 12" MTX thunder 7000s or something in my Jeep...after a few years of that, I was ready for something a little more SQ oriented. I run an autotek amp...mostly beacuse the price was right and it was a 5 channel that fit my needs. I have the dual coils run down to 2 ohms so I think its getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-500 RMS. No particular allegiance to autotek, but i'm happy with its performance. I ran an alpine 4 channel for the highs in the jeep and some junko 1000 watt unit for the 12s, so i've never really owned a "nice" sub amp. I had a good buddy in a 95zj that ran a MTX1000D and two audiobahn high excursion 12s, that shit would make your nose bleed.

ajmorell
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
So I've worked for a few different shops over the years, both circuit shitty, GG and a small custom shop. JL is a staple and cant go wrong with either their amps or subs, all are top notch. I personally like Boston Accoustics. I have had their speakers and they are really clean. I currently have 2 of their 12" Pro series subs and when I had 1500 RMS going to them they DUMPED! So much so that you could feel it in your chest. BA can hold good power and has clean professional quality sound.

If you just want to slump then get any old sub, MTX or Rockford Fosgate (really any moderatly price sub) and a ported box and it will be nice and loud. If you want a clean sound and nice filler bass for drums and 808 then get a sealed box. It will be quieter but will be tight and clean.

Alpine amps are quality. They tend to be less frills than others but are long lasting good amps.

Rockford Fosgate used to be the bomb, till they went mainstream and started selling to Best Buy. They have gotten better.

I could ramble on all night, it really comes down to what type of music you listen to and what type of sound your looking for.

x2 on JL, must've slipped my mind.

familyguy
02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a Kicker 10 inch marine box. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8jZL5ONVnBT/p_20606SKM10/Kicker-SKM10.html Its sealed and water resistant. I have it mounted with the speaker facing down. It has a mounting flange that you can mount it speaker up or down. The box is plastic and very strong. That way I can put stuff on it. Then I have a cheap amp on it. Sounds good. The best part is I got it for $29 at Circuit City about a month ago. Went back and got another one and it was $25. I only use one in my jeep.

nate
02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't see the point of putting a sub in a trail rig.. would get trashed pretty quickly I'd imagine.

I keep telling myself I'm going to fix my radio in the Jeep one of these days... hasn't worked in a few years.

ricky51barth
02-06-2010, 12:25 PM
ive got a mtx t45 12 inch sub and it sounds great in my zj with a mtx x702 amp

zj95maxx
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I love my bazoooooka tube

Hurricane 4x4
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I've had alot of different combinations over the last couple of years but the one I settled on was a single 12" Alpine Type-R. $130 off of etronics.com (this was awhile ago)

I used a sony xplod 1200W amp. The amp I got used for $40

Great budget combination. I had 2 12" JL's for awhile but that is just a waste of space. The single 12 is more than enough power for a grand cherokee.. but that's all personal preference

Hurricane 4x4
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't see the point of putting a sub in a trail rig.. would get trashed pretty quickly I'd imagine.

I keep telling myself I'm going to fix my radio in the Jeep one of these days... hasn't worked in a few years.

the trick is to get the sub mounted in an out of the way location and put a metal protective grill over it. Mount the amp on the back of the sub box and use quick connectors so you can easily disconnect it and take it out of the jeep when you need to. I still found myself taking the grill off and cleaning the sub all the time because I would throw a muddy tow strap in there or something and it would get all over it

ricky51barth
02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
what gauge wire should go to my amp to the sub

ajmorell
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
You talking about the speaker wire? I would go with something which is specifically marked for subwoofer. IIRC usually 12 or 14 gauge is sufficient.

ricky51barth
02-07-2010, 04:42 PM
ok thanks

albersondh
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I LOVE my W3 8". IMO its more than enough bass. Make or buy a properly sized enclosure and you cant wrong. If your looking to impress everyone for blocks around then yea 10's or 12's, for me a very good quality 8 set up correctly is pleanty.