PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 18v Hammer Drill or Impact Driver?

01-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm was originally looking at getting the DC925 cordless hammer drill to replace my old ryboi. But then I saw a impact driver that came with this (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attachment_detail.asp?productID=15049) - since I do use lags and tapcons sometimes, im thinking the driver would be a better choice. I'm not sure though, can anyone that has used one of the two give me some advice?

Hammer Drill: http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15127
Impact Driver: http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=17858

Thanks.

AndyZJ
01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Well being that they are both 18V i would say go with the impact driver being that it comes with 2 battery packs making it easier to have one go dead and immediately move to a fresh battery. It looks like the hammer drill doesn't come with a second battery. That would be a down fall for me, but any DeWalt tool i've ever used was well worth it.

CurtP
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
It looks like the hammer drill doesn't come with a second battery.

Reading comprehension issues? Look down where it says "includes".

Out of the two, I'd buy the drill first. The impact is a nice tool to have, but it's only 1/4" and only goes up to 110 lbs ft. The drill attachment is only 3/8" too. I don't know about the other guys, but I use the piss out of my drill.

Just keep in mind that the NiCd batteries have a limited life and you're going to have to eventually replace them. I love my DeWalt cordless tools, but man their batteries are fucking expensive. I go through a pair about once a year. Next time around, I may try the DC9180 packs.

nate
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Either Bosch or Ryobi has a warranty on their batteries. They go bad, you get a new one free.

Skyline
01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Either Bosch or Ryobi has a warranty on their batteries. They go bad, you get a new one free.

Too bad most of their tools are "homeowner" quality.

LouisianaZJ
01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
I have the 14v hammer drill. It is a good drill, I dont think driving 3" lags would be that much of an issue on pre drilled holes.

I use an pneumatic impact for bigger stuff

nate
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Not really.

You guys see the yellow and think...oh that has to be good.

Kinda like Snap On vs Craftsman.
I have broken far more Snap On junk than Craftsman. And their shit is easily 4-5x more expensive and a hassle to get replaced.

Too bad most of their tools are "homeowner" quality.

Nick
01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I use that same hammer drill everyday for the past year and a half and have never had one problem with it. I have had the drill half buried in sand picked it up and kept on going dropped it about 15 feet onto the ground (was grass) nothing ever happend to it still running strong to this day. I also use hammer part of the drill all the time doing tapcons never one problem with that either. In that year and a half of everyday use we have went through 2 batteries. Would deff recomend it I know when this one craps out I will be buying another one.

Skyline
01-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Not really.

You guys see the yellow and think...oh that has to be good.

Kinda like Snap On vs Craftsman.
I have broken far more Snap On junk than Craftsman. And their shit is easily 4-5x more expensive and a hassle to get replaced.

Actually, I wasn't trying to make a case for Dewalt tools. But Bosch and Ryobi make junk, and definately not in the same league as Dewalt in terms of quality. That said, if I was going to buy a new drill, I would look for a Milwaukee.

If you don't believe me, look at an independent source that cross tests all types of power tools, like Professional Homebuilder Magazine, Fine Woodworking Magazine, or This Old House Magazine. I find these reviews very helpful when I'm looking for a new power tool, and my local library carries all the back issues. Some of these cross-tests are on their web sites as well as just in print.

hkszx2
01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
I use them both all day everyday at my job, they come in a pair kit actually for like 300 bucks....

CurtP
01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
That said, if I was going to buy a new drill, I would look for a Milwaukee.
Check the tag - the last Milwaukee 18v drill I looked at was made in China. You have to watch DeWalt as well - more and more of their cordless tools are becoming cheap imports :smt009

Skyline
01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Check the tag - the last Milwaukee 18v drill I looked at was made in China. You have to watch DeWalt as well - more and more of their cordless tools are becoming cheap imports :smt009

You are correct. The Milwaukee 18v drill I bought about 6 months ago was made in China. I hate buying shit made in China on principal, but this is still an excellent tool. Regardless of origin, I don't think there are any better drills available....allthough the Porsche Design hammer drill sure looks cool:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/06/6-12-07-porsche_drill_1.jpg (http://www.metabo.com/Up-To-Date-Information.2024+M584770598ef.0.html)

It's unfortunate, but there are almost no powertools left that are still made in the US. I have an older 14v Milwaukee drill as well (made in USA) which has served perfectly for about 10 yrs, but did not have sustained torque for a job I was doing...putting many screws through concrete floor board.

02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I snagged the hammer drill + two batteries for $175 and don't regret it, the first day I got it I drove in at least 20 tapcons like it was nothin'. Thanks

I had a brand new ryobi lithium ion drill shit out on me after about a month of medium use, so I figured it was time for an upgrade... I've learned my lesson.

and damn that Porsche looks nice.