PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 12 valve dodge diesel?

2jeepsforus
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey guys, I am entertaining the idea of picking up a 1998 Dodge 2500 extended cab with long box, 5.9 Inline 6, manual (with new clutch) and new upper and lower ball joints, and fuel pump. The price is at regular book value right now and seems pretty fair to me.

My question is does the 12 valve need more or less maintenance compared to the 24 valve. This truck has 207k on the ticker too, but sounds like it has been cared for. The guy used it for pulling horse trailers and a goose neck trailer with a 40 horse diesel tractor. So it does work pretty hard.

I'm new to the diesel world and have always wanted one, before the big craze came about, just looking for some input on this motor and truck as a package.

Thanks,
Dave

tywilson88
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
the 12 valve is more reliable than the 24 valve

slim616
01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
To be honest I dont really like them because of the lack of power when it comes to pulling weight up a hill. Also keep in mind that alot of the hoses under the truck will need fixed if its seen much use in the salt. I have 3 friends that have around that model year and their all having problems with them.

newman187
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a 2007 Dodge CTD, 2500 3/4 ton, quad cab short bed and I love it, its a 24v and have towed with it a few times as I have only had it for a month but I love it. If you want to know whats what about Dodge follow this link, very good resource. . . .

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

Enjoy

cLAYH
01-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a 2001 24v Dodge Diesel. Has it about a year and so far so good.
Have chipped it, tranny mods, injectors.........

From the research I did the 12V(1994-1998) is more reliable. The injection pump has its own internal oil lubriactaion, is completly mechanical and pretty much lasts forever. The pumps on the 24V(1998.5-2002) engines are cooled/lubed by the fuel and have electronics in them and are very prone to failure, considered to have the worst reliabilty of all the Dodge Cummins trucks. The 2003+ trucks have a coomon rail(CR) system that I don't know much about but are considered more relabile than the 1998.5-2002 trucks.

The 12v is the one everyone goes for when they want to hot rod a truck. As its mechanical no expensive chips are needed and the mods are almost unlimited. The basic ones are free, the truck comes stock very gutless but a few tweaks to the pump and she really comes alive. Start swapping out injectors and other pieces and it just gets stupid powerful.

Check the site listed above, tons of info. Have fun!

KeepItCrunk
02-17-2008, 02:37 PM
94-98 12v cummins have the best diesel injection pump (P7100 or P-pump) cummins has ever used in there motors, more there capable of making 600+ horse. It is fully mechanical, but do some reasearch on GSK (Governor Spring Kits), Throttle Plates, Delivery Valves, etc and you will find that that generation 12v is jsut an unbeleiveably tuneable engine. MUCH more reliable then the 98.5-02 VP44 injection pump, and IMO better then the new 03+ CP3 injection pumps. Nothing beats the sound of a healthy p-pumped cummins. Many people actually swap the p-pump onto 98.5-02 cummins in palce of the VP44 due to its almost unlimited fueling ability and the 24v's better flow (twice the valves obv.)

My 99 has already had 3 injector pumps on it, the first one died due to a bad lift pump (kills the diaphram in the injector pump when it has to pull fuel to it rather then it being supplied by the lift/fuel pump). The second one died due to faulty electronics on the pump, and im on my 3rd and going strong so far... and keep in mind this truck only has 75k on it... My friends 94 12v has 361k on it with the factory p-pump with no rebuilds or anything, its around the 400 horse and 800 lb ft ballpark and has been for about the last 150k of its life. The highest ammount of power ive seen from a VP44 was a little over 800 and it was NOSed and METHed with twin turbos... Twin turbo a p-pump with some 370 injectors and a 0 plate, 191 dvs, 4k GSK and HD valve springs... kiss all those VP44's boy goodbye on the dyno, sled pull, drag strip or street.

If you have a chance to pick up a 98 12v, i would definately go for it, its a great truck great motor and its its a manual your all set, as the auto's are just junk in stock form, especially if you plan on towing... Good luck, if you have any questions on anything with it just send me a pm, i'm sure ill be able to help you out, and if i can't i know someone who can.:D

nate
02-17-2008, 03:32 PM
What's the price for it? Without seeing it, I wouldn't pay for than 10k for a clean one.

2jeepsforus
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the info guys and I have been reading up on it. I found the truck for 8g's which I feel is pretty good.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything until some things get settled with this divorce BS. If anyone wants to buy my ZJ then I will go buy the truck tomorrow :D

KeepItCrunk, I was thinking when I can get this thing... Gauges, #10 fuel plate, 16cm exhaust housing, 3K governor springs and probably fix the killer dowel pin. I want to do a 5" polished stack too and yes it will be straight piped.

That should put me easily over 350hp and 770ft of torque.... Nothing too crazy, but still a substantial gain over stock.

Dave