PDA

View Full Version : Hard-KOR Tire Carrier *New Item*

DansZJ
01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Is your tire too big to fit in the factory location?
Want to carry more gear inside?
Not ready to purchase one of our full size roof racks or rear bumpers?

Then check out our newest creation...the Hard-KOR Tire Carrier (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_tirecarrer.html).
3348 3349 3351 3350

We have two styles available for for WJ, ZJ, and XJ models:
Our "basic" model incudes the tire carrier/hardware only and our "upgraded" model (see photo above) includes the tire carrier plus Hi-Lift and Shovel mounts with T-handles.

We have a fresh batch at powdercoat and will be ready to ship Friday, February 1st. Get them at our intro price available for a limited time!

Pricing information and large photos are available on our site: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_tirecarrer.html (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_tirecarrer.html)

canadian_driver
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
how does the tire mount to the bars?

canadian_driver
01-26-2008, 05:18 PM
oh also, how big a tire has it supported

DansZJ
01-27-2008, 06:39 PM
There's a plate welded between the two cross bars. We provide the all-thread bolts, washers, etc to mount your tire.
Tire size - depends. If you get the hi-lift mount version, you can fit a 35" tire with your hi-lift mounted like Bryant's:

But if you reverse the mounting of your hi-lift then you can easily go 37+.
Thanks for the questions!

5.9 ANDY
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
will it fit the 5.9 ZJ racks, a buddy of mine gave me the rack off his 5.2 and it wouldnt fit.

KevinF
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
will it fit the 5.9 ZJ racks, a buddy of mine gave me the rack off his 5.2 and it wouldnt fit.

Hi there, Andy. We will indeed build one that's special for the 5.9L, but not immediately. The 5.9L uses the WJ-style mounts, but the width is different than the WJs, so it has to be a completely sole and separate part number.

Thanks,
Kevin

5.9 ANDY
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi there, Andy. We will indeed build one that's special for the 5.9L, but not immediately. The 5.9L uses the WJ-style mounts, but the width is different than the WJs, so it has to be a completely sole and separate part number.

Thanks,
Kevin

thanks kevin.

5.9 ANDY
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
any idea when one of these will be ready for a 5.9???

KevinF
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
If we can get five people on board (with 1998 5.9Ls) who are ready to purchase, we can get started on the 5.9L <edit: tire carriers>.

Thanks,
Kevin

tywilson88
04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
im waiting for the tube doors

ntaousakis
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I like it, so on my WJ and mount both the shovel and high lift?

5.9 ANDY
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
If we can get five people on board (with 1998 5.9Ls) who are ready to purchase, we can get started on the 5.9L light bars.

Thanks,
Kevin

it will be a few months till i can, dont you mean tire carrier?

DanKNesS
04-08-2008, 10:52 PM
nice hi lift mount

MotoX5874
04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
how beefy is the hi lift mount? ive heard that mounting them on the roof is a bad idea in case of an accident where it can become a lethal projectile

KevinF
04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
it will be a few months till i can, dont you mean tire carrier?

LOL. Duly noted and edited. You're right...I did mean tire carrier.

Kevin

KevinF
04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
how beefy is the hi lift mount? ive heard that mounting them on the roof is a bad idea in case of an accident where it can become a lethal projectile

LOL. Umm...I guess if you make a weak mounting point for ANYTHING then it can become a projectile. I've not done any safety testing with crash dummies or anything, but the HiLift mounts are triangulated 1/8" thick steel with a 1/2"-13 bolt running THROUGH the jack's body through two mounts, and then that bolt is tensioned down with 1/2"-13 T-handles which can be cranked down very tightly. I cannot see the HiLift yanking off the tire carrier even during a barrel-roll, but again, we've not tested it, so who knows. The bolts that hold your roof rails to the roof of your Jeep are FAR more likely to come off the roof first. Your wheel studs that hold your tires on the Jeep are just barely larger than the 1/2"-13 bolts we use to mount the jack.

We may not be know as the LARGEST offroad company that exists, but we ARE known for VERY high-quality products that fit right the first time and that last for a long time doing their jobs. That said, I STILL can't see that scenario you mentioned above playing out in anything other than either theory, or on a VERY shoddy mounting system that was designed poorly on the one you heard of.

Thanks,
Kevin

KevinF
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I like it, so on my WJ and mount both the shovel and high lift?

You've got it, my friend.

Kevin

MotoX5874
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
LOL. Umm...I guess if you make a weak mounting point for ANYTHING then it can become a projectile. I've not done any safety testing with crash dummies or anything, but the HiLift mounts are triangulated 1/8" thick steel with a 1/2"-13 bolt running THROUGH the jack's body through two mounts, and then that bolt is tensioned down with 1/2"-13 T-handles which can be cranked down very tightly. I cannot see the HiLift yanking off the tire carrier even during a barrel-roll, but again, we've not tested it, so who knows. The bolts that hold your roof rails to the roof of your Jeep are FAR more likely to come off the roof first. Your wheel studs that hold your tires on the Jeep are just barely larger than the 1/2"-13 bolts we use to mount the jack.

We may not be know as the LARGEST offroad company that exists, but we ARE known for VERY high-quality products that fit right the first time and that last for a long time doing their jobs. That said, I STILL can't see that scenario you mentioned above playing out in anything other than either theory, or on a VERY shoddy mounting system that was designed poorly on the one you heard of.

Thanks,
Kevin
lol that was just something i remember reading a loong time ago, just messin around. even if you arent the largest, i know you guys make some of the best quality products and ill venture out on a limb here and say you guys have the best customer service which is the reason ill always have zero hesitation buying your stuff.

as it happens i will probably be ordering one of these in the near future. need the trunk space. :prayer:

mossybull
04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
hi kevin,5.9 and i just got my lift and larger tires, put me on the list

hoffyinaz
04-10-2008, 04:50 AM
I have one on my ZJ and love the room it free'd up. Thx Kevin
It currently holds a 32"tire, jack and shovel.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e282/hoffyinaz/roof%20carrier/roofcarrier.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e282/hoffyinaz/roof%20carrier/roofcarrier2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e282/hoffyinaz/roof%20carrier/roofcarrier3.jpg

hoffyinaz
04-10-2008, 04:51 AM

x2 I have a donor!!!!!!!!!!

5.9 ANDY
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Kevin, what provisions do you have to allow the locking of the Hi-Lift and tire down? are there any tabs with holes in them that might allow a pad lock or cable lock to be run through to secure them down?

jsteves
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM

x2 I have a donor!!!!!!!!!!

Might as well keep waiting. They decided not to make them.

KevinF
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Kevin, what provisions do you have to allow the locking of the Hi-Lift and tire down? are there any tabs with holes in them that might allow a pad lock or cable lock to be run through to secure them down?

It would be pretty easy to run a cable lock through the tire and Hi-Lift both. If you do so, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember to put an extra key in the glove box or some place where you'll not misplace it. I've been on several trails where we couldn't use the stuck person's recovery gear or spare due to the locks not having keys readily available. Sort of defeats the purpose of having recovery gear, lol.

Kevin