PDA

View Full Version : grade 8 bolt buy

slim616
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Ive been doing some research on getting a random selection of grade 8 for working on the jeep. The only sets ive come across are grade 5 sets. I went down to some local places and they told me i had to buy in groups of 50 to 100 depending on the size to get any have way decent prices. You multiply that by 15 to 20 different length and diameter bolts you get a hell of a pile. Anyway i got to thinking if I could get a bunch of people who wanted these random sets of grade 8 I could still get a good price and not have all those bolts sitting around. Anyway I just figured i float the idea out there to see if anyone else would be interested in something like that.

OverkillZJ
01-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Find a better hardware store... Lots of places will let you pick and choose grade 8, and pay by the pound.

nate
01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Yup either by the lb or per bolt.
You must be shopping at Fastenal or a place like that. They are ok if you need a bunch of a certain size. Or if you get on their program they set you up with a big bin and come buy every few weeks and fill up what is low.

CurtP
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
There's a bolt place down here that lets you pick and choose whatever you need. Everyone swears by it, but I've never been to it yet.

I usually buy my hardware through www.mcmaster.com

MoonWorks
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Look for a tractor supply store. Local one here sells by the pound. I go there when I need large grade 8 bolts.

I go to NAPA to get smaller ones. Yes they sell grade 8 bolts. They are usually pushed over to the side in a seperate case from the grade 5 bolts.

nate
01-20-2008, 11:52 PM
McMaster is great for oddball stuff, but when it's Saturday afternoon and I need a few 1/2" bolts to finish up something, I'm not about to wait several days to get something in.

K2
01-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Home Depot and Lowes both carry grade 8.

EMTimZJ
01-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Besides Fastenal, I don't know if any of the local stores I frequent who DO NOT allow grade 8 purchases bolt-by-bolt...:confused: My local NAPA has a great selection of grade 8... so does the local small-town hardware store.

Look somewhere else.

-Tim

piku303
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM

you dont have any of those near you?

they've got pick and choose stuff

slim616
01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a lowes and home depot near me which is great for when you need a few bolts but if you go to buy in bulk you will get raped. For instance a single bolt from home cheapo would cost around .60 were at the bulk place (A and A bolt company) would cost about .25 Add that extra cost up across a couple hundred bolts and get a small chunk of money. I didn't think about the tractor supply store selling by the pound. I'll have to check them out today.

Pearce
01-21-2008, 11:28 AM

LOL, HD doesn't even have grade 8 where I live. The guy who works in the hardware section didn't even know what it was. Lowe's on the other hand has had a lot of what I've needed. But recently their selection has been cut back. Ace Hardware or True Value has tons of stuff to choose from around here.

corrupt143
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
I too, use Ace. They are the tractor supply here. Even bought my Hi-Lift from them.

CurtP
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I forgot about Pep Boys too. The ones around here moved their bulk bolt bins behind the counter because of people stealing them. Every time I've asked, they let me go behind the counter and get what I needed. They sell them per-bolt and they're pricey, but not as bad as Home Depot/Lowes.

I usually don't mind waiting a couple of days for hardware. If I place an order on Sat/Sun, I'll have it at my door by Tuesday. When I lived in Chicago, I could just drive down to McMaster.

Cue-Ball
01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
OSH in Napa carries them and you pay by the bolt/nut/washer

K2
02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
LOL, HD doesn't even have grade 8 where I live. The guy who works in the hardware section didn't even know what it was. Lowe's on the other hand has had a lot of what I've needed. But recently their selection has been cut back. Ace Hardware or True Value has tons of stuff to choose from around here.

They are usually in the drawer cases across from the bins of bolts. How many do you really need? Is it worth your time and hassle, shipping and coordinating all of this to save $5? If so go for it, but really I would just cough up the few extra bucks and get the bolts I needed and split. ACE has a MUCH better selection of bolts then both Homo Depot and Lowes. If you live in nowhere you must have farms near you. They must have grade 8.

AprilzWarrior
02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
OSH in Napa carries them and you pay by the bolt/nut/washer

I agree, OSH is our best local selection. For bulk I use Fastenal.

cLAYH
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I ALWAYS buy double what I need when doing a project and always save the extra bolts left over from a project(like the stock control arm bolts, etc). I've also parted out 3 XJs and kept every bolt that came off of those. By doing this over the last 5 years I've filled my bolt bins up pretty full and haven't had to spend a large sum of money all at once to fill it up. Got tired of cans and jars so I finally broke down and bolt a real bolt bin last year. Wasn't cheap but really cleaned up the garage and makes finding what I need WAY easier. Spending a whole day sorting bolts sucked though!

J B
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
You'll get the pink sock buying from Lowes or HD unless it's convenient and you just need a couple of bolts. The per-bolt prices are insane.

Another vote for Tractor Supply if you have one near you. Mix and match and purchase by the pound!

Pearce
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
They are usually in the drawer cases across from the bins of bolts. How many do you really need? Is it worth your time and hassle, shipping and coordinating all of this to save $5? If so go for it, but really I would just cough up the few extra bucks and get the bolts I needed and split. ACE has a MUCH better selection of bolts then both Homo Depot and Lowes. If you live in nowhere you must have farms near you. They must have grade 8.

:finga: LOL just noticed this post. Ahh, No the one down the street from my house didn't and what part of my post leads you to belive I need to have bolts shipped when I say right in it I can go to ACE and True Value to have everything I need. Don't tell me about my time and hassle to coordinate buying bolts. :-D And like I said Lowes has cut back on what they carry since building my second rig. So whats the point of going there when I can go to ACE.

slim616
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually the whole point of the thread was, I was going to buy a whole selection of grade 8's. I was going to have a shit load more bolts then I needed do to the fact that I was buying in bulk to get a good deal. So I was going to see if anyone else wanted a full selection to just fill their bins. Anyway the local fastnal hook me up with not having to buy a shitload of bolts to get a decent price. Anyway I have a nice selection now that when I need something I don't have to waste 30 mins running down to homecheapo to find it.

K2
02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
:finga: LOL just noticed this post. Ahh, No the one down the street from my house didn't and what part of my post leads you to belive I need to have bolts shipped when I say right in it I can go to ACE and True Value to have everything I need. Don't tell me about my time and hassle to coordinate buying bolts. :-D And like I said Lowes has cut back on what they carry since building my second rig. So whats the point of going there when I can go to ACE.

Sorry I need more breaks and spacing. The Home Depot location was for you, and the price was related to others. People were saying how much more they were at Home depot, but the hassle of a group buy on bolts? Not worth it to me. Sorry.

ATL ZJ
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
My life got a lot easier when I started buying all my hardware from McMaster-Carr. I also stopped wasting money on the ridiculous markup of hardware store bolts. Here's another huge endorsement for them and the link to their site again: www.mcmaster.com

nate
02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Seems like it would be more expensive? Is there shipping? Either way you have to order it and wait a few days. Usually when I need bolts, it's for a project I'm in the middle of.

The place I get my bolts from is $2 or $2.50 a lb.

ATL ZJ
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Seems like it would be more expensive? Is there shipping? Either way you have to order it and wait a few days. Usually when I need bolts, it's for a project I'm in the middle of.

The place I get my bolts from is $2 or $2.50 a lb.

I was hoping you'd ask that. Normally I'll order bolts one evening at 10 or 11pm. I'll normally pay $3-4 shipping and a courier drops them off at my home by 11am or noon the next morning. Even with shipping factored in, I come in at half of retail, at the most- normally it's even less than that.

Around here all we have are gift stores that also sell hardware. You can drive way out past the 'burbs and find a tractor supply, and even then you're still paying retail, as well as burning gas and wasting time. You guys are lucky to have true hardware stores that don't rip you off.

nate
02-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah the farm store is just down the road from me, maybe 2 miles. They don't have the greatest selection, just SAE fine and course in the most common sizes.
Nothing like what the Ace in Anchorage had. BUT, for 99% of my projects it's fine for me.

I'd like to get setup on the bolt program, but the thing is that it wouldn't be practical to move around when I PCS.

OverkillZJ
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
You guys are lucky to have true hardware stores that don't rip you off.

Ain't that the truth, Sarasnicks down the road from me costs (literally) 1/5 to 1/10th what Home Depot would cost for the same junk, they're even a lot cheaper than TSC. If they weren't there, I'd be mail ordering too, but frankly I just love going into a giant basement full of every bolt I'd ever need, it's like a candy store for a gear guy :smt041