PDA

View Full Version : Need wheels: 17" 5x5 5.5 BS

Z
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
This is what is required for a lifted WK. The only option I know of is AEV Pintlers. I'd prefer NOT to use spacers (Discount Tire claims they won't work on vehicles with spacers, though they always do).

Anyone know of any other options? Most wheels I see have 4.5" BS, which isn't enough for the WK.

JohnBoulderCO
01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Less BS on the wheels and trim a little? Just an idea.

Edit: Tom, just double checking with you...more BS brings the wheel closer to the brakes. Less BS pushes the wheel out.

That's why WJ's need 3.75" of BS to push the 15" wheel out to clear the brakes. With 16" wheels you can run 6" of BS and clear the brakes with the wheels in closer.

Z
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Less BS on the wheels and trim a little? Just an idea.

I think the backspacing is required to clear a long-ass bolt on the ball joints up front. For smaller tires you can cut the bolt, but to clear 33s you need more backspacing. I think.

J B
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Lots of steelies can be made with any bolt pattern and backspacing you can imagine.

Now, if you wang some bling, your options are going to be more limited.

Z
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Never mind. I just realized I'll need TPMS put into the new wheels. A TPMS is part of the valve stem and costs at least $50. The AEV wheels have valve stem protectors, so the AEV wheels are probably good insurance against TPMS damage.

JohnBoulderCO
01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Pull the fuse? What happens when you deflate with the TPMS? Is that disabled when in 4LO?

Z
01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Pull the fuse? What happens when you deflate with the TPMS? Is that disabled when in 4LO?

Pull the fuse. HA! This is a WK, not a WJ or ZJ! If you try to do anything to the electronics of a WK the Jeep dies and you get sent to prison.

Okay, it's not quite that bad, but when I disconnected the ambient temperature sensor behind the grill while investigating the front winch bumper build - the next time I started the WK I got an error code that required disconnecting the battery to clear.

The fuse I'd need to pull would affect more than just the TPM system so that's not an option.

The TPM nanny does go to sleep (so I'm told) in 4Lo. But really, I do need TPM sensors, so I ordered the AEV wheels. Besides, I like rewarding good engineering (i.e. buying wheels with built-in valve stem protectors).

Hurricane 4x4
01-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I have some that are 17x7.5 5x5 pattern and 6" BS. That should be close enough. What size tires are you trying to run?

Z
01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I have some that are 17x7.5 5x5 pattern and 6" BS. That should be close enough. What size tires are you trying to run?

Thanks, but I went with the AEV wheels.

Hurricane 4x4
01-19-2008, 01:46 AM
my bad

Hurricane 4x4
01-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Also is this a common mod for WK's? What tires/lift combo do these wheels work with? I'm thinking i could post them for sale in some WK forums. Nobody else really needs WJ wheels.

Z
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
You can try, but you need to limit your audience to '05 and '06 WKs. The rotor size changed for '07 and are a bit oversized - 17" JK wheels do NOT fit on '07+ WKs without 1/8" spacers.

6" of BS is too much BS for larger tires on a WK, so you'd really be looking for someone who just likes the look of the WJ wheels.