PDA

View Full Version : Zj door speakers...And yes I've searched

whatpavment?
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I asked this question over at Jeepforum and I just wanted to see if I could get some additional responses:
Alright, I have a 96 with the infinity system (don't know if that matters) and i'm about to replace all four door speakers. I've searched. To settle it once and for all what speakers do I need for the front doors and which ones for the back doors? I know they're 6.5's but I don't know if only the front ones need to be 2 way or the back ones also. Or can the back ones be 3 way? Or can they all be 2way? Or should they all be 3 way? And do you really have to re-wire the speakers? And should I bypass the stock amp?I'm sick of reading mixed reviews so just give it to me straight...http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/files//1/0/cheers2.gif TIA.... And it's an after market head unit with the stock amp.http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/files//1/0/thumbs.gif

RCPro87
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Well this is what I did. I ignored all the factory wiring and put in an aftermarket amp that powers all the door speakers and tweeters. I ran all new speaker wires from the crossovers in my glovebox (to avoid water damage) to the new waterproof speakers in the doors and to the tweeters. I love the system i set up. It was time consuming but with my ZJ gutted it was easy the zip-tie to the exsisting wire bundle.

J B
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Use whatever speakers you want to use. There are worse speakers out there than the factory ones, so be careful....cheap replacements won't make you happy, unless your factory ones are just blown (like mine).

I like to buy from Crutchfield, since they give you any wiring adapters and stuff for free when you order. It's convenient.

IIRC, all of the door speakers, front or rear, are identical.

Skyline
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Here's what I did:

I got a Polk 6.5" component set for the front doors. I did not use the included crossovers, but mounted the tweeters in the factory locations under the upper dash panel. I used a second set of less expensive 2 way Pold 6.5 in drivers for the rear doors. I used a bit of Dynaopmat extreme on the inside of the outer door skin around the speaker opening, and on the metal inner door panel around the door opening.

Overall, these sound 100% better than the crappy stock units. And while it probably would have been a little better to use the Polk crossovers, given the fact that the tweeters were not in the doors, it would have been a bit of a PITA, so I decided not to bother.

dp96zj
01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I like to buy from Crutchfield, since they give you any wiring adapters and stuff for free when you order. It's convenient.

x2

I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk db650's 6.5", which are 2-way speakers. I've owned 3-way speakers before and saw no huge difference between the two. I recommend shopping from Crutchfield, also, because they sent the free wiring/mounting adapters, which saved it from being a potential PITA.

macka
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm deep sixing the door speakers, I'm looking to build an overhead enclosure and have the speakers above the head for unimpeded sound, and if I go swimming, I'm not going to harm the speakers. The plus side to overhead speakers is that I don't lose sound to me feet and seats, and I don't have to run the volume as high as if they were down low. The sub will have to be waterproofed, but thats because its not suspendable without being an eyesore and losing sound quality.

Cody
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Most 3 ways aren't really 3 ways--the 3rd tweeter is merely cosmetic and passive. If you do happen to find a 3 way, run far away. More tweeter does not mean better sound.

Your best results would be to do a 6.5" component speaker up front and a 2 way 6.5" speaker in the back. Either off of the factory amp or an aftermarket deck (or, better still, and aftermarket 4 channel)--it's about the same power--although I'd prefer to use the superior digital crossover of a nicer aftermarket headunit than the factory junk.

I wouldn't worry about re-wiring all the speakers, but I would at least mount the crossover for the front components in the kickpanel, tap into teh speaker wire going into the door for the driver, and run a quick wire up to the tweets in the dash. If it were me, I would look for a component set that has a -3db setting for the tweeter on the crossover. When you have a tweeter that shelves off of the windshield like that it's has about a 3db gain and can be unaturally bright.

You could run a 2 way in the front door in conjunction with the tweeter, but I wouldn't as you are now getting sounds from 2 different locations, on 2 different planes, and it will mess with imaging as well as be too bright.

FWIW, the factory speakers are 6.75's, but thats a rear speaker size to find. You'll have to make your own mounting holes.

Go into a shop, whether it be your local car audio shop or a Circuit City or something, and listen to the speakers. Bring a CD with your music and take a listen. Sound quality is relative to the listener so while someone can tell what speaker is built better, nobody can tell you what sounds better to you.

I'm relocating my tweeter from my dash down to the door just above the factory speaker. I've never liked dash speakers (or nasty a-pillar mounted tweeters bleh) and prefer to have the tweeter w/in 8" of the mid-bass driver and on the same plane. I'm debating whether to even run rear door speakers, but with the larger air space of a grand I probably will.

whatpavment?
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...I picked up a set for the rear tonight, Pioneer 160watt max TS-G1641R 2 ways. I'll start here and work my way up to the front. I haven't had to worry about sound for several years due to driving a TJ so i'm a newb to all the system tech. Thanks for the help.

suburbia4X4
01-11-2008, 03:21 AM
yeah 3 ways are useless without being components. i just bought the alpine type s speakers for all the doors. all 2 way, 210 watts 120 rms and so far they sound way better then the stock system. i have them running off the factory amp and i like how it sounds but i know i could get more with an aftermarket amp and deck...but im too lazy for that shit, id rather drive over stuff then have theater quality sound inside my heap.

Cody
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I run these...
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=C608GTI&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=COS&ser=GTI

off of this...
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=PX600.2&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=AMP&ser=POS

both of which cost way more than they do now damnit!