PDA

View Full Version : Alarm systems?

bshows73
12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Due to the fact that a bunch of jerks keep breaking into cars in my apartment complex,luckily I haven't been hit yet! Other than standing out next to my Jeep with my .357 what do you guys recommend for car alarms I was looking at something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33721&viewitem=&item=350008905003&_trksid=p3907.m29 .
I would just like some input and what you guys are using and the costs.
Thanks

2jeepsforus
12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Pay a mexican to stand guard with your .357.... cheaper and less hassle when it comes to install time LOL

ILikeMud
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Compu Star is good shit, Clifford too.

Me, personally, I'd wheel the piss out of the fucker and get it all dented up.
I could leave my old ZJ in the worse parts of town with no doors on and the engine running and it wouldn't get touched.

CurtP
12-27-2007, 09:01 PM
There's really only a couple of alarm manufacturers. The largest one is DEI (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, Hornet, Valet, etc).

What features do you want? Basic alarm? 2-way remote with display? Remote start? If you're looking for higher-end, look at the Viper 5900 or Clifford Matrix 70.5X. If you're on a budget and you have a 96+, you can add features to your OEM alarm with aftermarket modules, but there's usually strict limitations.

My personal preference is to stick with integrated OEM. After that, I look to companies that offer plug in harnesses (like Crime Guard). If I can find a harness, I'll modify it for whatever alarm system I buy (it's plug-n-play for their own alarms, but I don't care for Crime Guard). I also make it a PITA to find the alarm controller (the "brain") and don't use their flashing LED. I'd rather catch them off-guard than give them a heads-up that I'm armed. No matter what, I NEVER use the window stickers that come with the alarm - that just tips them off on which brand I have. I also like to use all black wires when making my harnesses.

I *NEVER* let anyone do my alarm installs. Ever.

redline61
12-27-2007, 09:51 PM
For my Toyota I bought one of the cheaper eBay alarms and it has been working out pretty well so far. As far as the lights go my personal opinion is I would rather let them now that I have an alarm then let them brake one of my windows out and then find out I have an alarm. They will always go for the easiest target. So keep your face plate off, hide your personal things, and try and not give them a reason to brake into your vehicle.

I have had my vehicles broken into three times since I moved to a college town and not once since I put alarms in. Plus if you have any subs or things that can be bolted down forever then use the screws that only go in and not out, or use torques head bolts and screws. No one has them on had.

DJJordache
12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I *NEVER* let anyone do my alarm installs. Ever.EVAR! I have used clifford on my past few vehicles and love it

you could also go this route and make it look like you have an alarm:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VARAD-LL-RE-SUPER-BRIGHT-RED-FLASHING-LED-for-ALARM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ007QQit emZ170180790284QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
it flashes with the key in the off position and looks like you might have an alarm.... might be enough deterrent to get the bad guys to find an easier target.

bshows73
12-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't really want to go the fake light route DanZJ has that in his and it looks like some faggy rave going on. I do wheel the piss out of it but I have a few hundred dollars in tools in the back my C.B. and about $400 dollars in stereo equipment. A few months ago I had all the shit stolen out of my Bronco and it is nice and beat up it is just a good thing meth heads don't know anything about aftermarket parts, They stole like $50 dollars in tools but if they goot like 30 min they could have at least gotten away with my racecraft suspension seat or my brand new Truck avenger Carb under the hood. I am looking for a 2 way remote with remote start(for the harsh phoenix winters!) Keyless entry and a loud ass alarm.

DansZJ
12-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't really want to go the fake light route DanZJ has that in his and it looks like some faggy rave going on.
Dude, don't hate. If you don't like it then why were you dancing around with the whistle? :cheer2:

I guess I should have checked the brightness of the LED lights before I bought them. I bought three or 4 cuz they were cheap and I was going to install 2 of them but the first was so damn bright I could land airplanes with it!!!
Been running the fake light for a year or so after the last break in, but I'd rather have this than nothing.

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
i have a compustar Pro P2W9000FMR in my truck and a viper 791XV in my jeep, both are awesome.

you get a cheap brand alarm and that's just what it will be--cheap. stick with the bigger names when it comes to alarm systems.

auggeren911
12-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I have the DEi horrnet top of the line verizion. It has it is bullit proof. I had to re mount every thing since the local boom boom shop had no idea what they were doing. But it looks just the one on ebay. It has a good receiver distance. I had someone at my work hitmy heep and it went of in side my office. Love it for those early morning auto starts.:D

mpsbvp
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
i got the hornet on my grand i like it alot lcd screens sux though drop that once and see what happens lol

MoonWorks
02-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Personally think that clifford sucks balls. We (big box retailer) used to have tons of problems with them back in the day when they were carried.

But DEI all the way (viper which is python line now I think), I wouldn't use anything else personally. Except for maybe some of the new lowjack (I think its called) which can track your car etc if it's stolen. Which won't do shit for your personal stuff inside though.

JordanA
02-22-2008, 07:02 AM
What is wrong with the OEM one again? Other than of course no remote warning system.

ATL ZJ
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I just removed 80% of my unibody, use electric line locks activated by one of a dozen unmarked rocker switches, and make sure the seats stay soaking wet.

Bartman
02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
hey i was thinking about building one 1 of these alarms that they use in south africa, but im sure they are illegal in the u.s. I would get some time. (watch south african car flamethrower on youtube if that link dosent work)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

93ZeeJ
02-26-2008, 01:12 AM
ive been looking into an alarm too

ive been looking at a DEI (viper or python) 2 way remote with remote start... ive heard those are the best

what do you think of this one? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Python-2-Way-Security-System-with-Remote-Start-PYTHON871XP/sem/rpsm/oid/119101/catOid/-13097/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#proddesc

why wouldnt you ever have a shop install it? i wouldnt know where to begin on installing it myself... i guess if i can do my lift and all that other stuff myself i can do an alarm though

MoonWorks
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
ive been looking into an alarm too

ive been looking at a DEI (viper or python) 2 way remote with remote start... ive heard those are the best

what do you think of this one? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Python-2-Way-Security-System-with-Remote-Start-PYTHON871XP/sem/rpsm/oid/119101/catOid/-13097/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#proddesc

why wouldnt you ever have a shop install it? i wouldnt know where to begin on installing it myself... i guess if i can do my lift and all that other stuff myself i can do an alarm though

Most of your alarms are sold including installation. So look at the tag/price and see...will probably say $-- installed.

And alarms were one things i've never touch. I used to be big into custom car stereo but would never touch alarms. I hate electrical wiring.

nate
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a Crime Stopper in my truck.. Was around $125 on eBay and I had a friend install it in.

I wasn't so much concerned with the alarm as I wanted a remote starter, but it's nice in case. I didn't install the shock sensor, just the door alarm. I figure at some point they are going to open a door.

If that alarm goes off, they are getting shot with the 12 gauge that is right by where I sleep.

93ZeeJ
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Personally think that clifford sucks balls. We (big box retailer) used to have tons of problems with them back in the day when they were carried.

But DEI all the way (viper which is python line now I think), I wouldn't use anything else personally. Except for maybe some of the new lowjack (I think its called) which can track your car etc if it's stolen. Which won't do shit for your personal stuff inside though.

what problems did you have with the clifford alarms?

most places around here sell CLIFFORD and they look pretty nice

CurtP
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
why wouldnt you ever have a shop install it?
Because installation shops are full of hacks. They don't give a shit about you or your vehicle - they want to get the job done and you out the door as fast as possible. They'll take every shortcut they can - from crimpcaps to Scotchlocks to just twisting wires together and covering them with vinyl tape.

I can't even begin to tell you the horror story I found in my 5.9 when I bought it. It was so bad that I didn't think I would be able to salvage the dash harness and I was prepared to replace it. I spent hours piecing the harness back together with lengths of wire, solder and heat-shrink. And I've experienced this pain many times before over the years on alarm and stereo installs that were done by "professionals".

93ZeeJ
02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
ive never had a problem with CarToys... they seem to always take care of stuff very well and correctly

MoonWorks
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
what problems did you have with the clifford alarms?

most places around here sell CLIFFORD and they look pretty nice

The brain module always went bad in them. Our installers hated them b/c they'd always have to go behind someone elses work to try and find the problem. 90% of the time they just had to swap the brain and that was all.

Looking nice and working right are two different things.

ILikeMud
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I just removed 80% of my unibody, use electric line locks activated by one of a dozen unmarked rocker switches, and make sure the seats stay soaking wet.

Yea, I think having the truck all beat up and door less helps keep most people away from it. Never had a problem with the old one.

I've thought about getting an alarm, mainly for a remote start but then I remember the GF's annoying as shit alarm on her TJ that always goes off and annoys the fuck out of everyone.

93ZeeJ
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Yea, I think having the truck all beat up and door less helps keep most people away from it. Never had a problem with the old one.

I've thought about getting an alarm, mainly for a remote start but then I remember the GF's annoying as shit alarm on her TJ that always goes off and annoys the fuck out of everyone.

what brand alarm does she have? Audiovox? cause my old audiovox did that and it was annoying as hell

i think if you get a quality DEI alarm you wont have that problem

ILikeMud
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Clifford actually.
Came with the Jeep when she bought it 3yrs ago.

I'd like to remove the damn thing so it won't go off randomly in the night anymore but she like having it. For what reason I dunno, it's a friggin Jeep.

93ZeeJ
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
i just ordered the Viper 5900SST one mile 2-way alarm/remote start

ill let you know what i think of it when its installed

LouisianaZJ
03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a nice viper unit in the GT. I also added 2 concealed mini piezo's in the interior (~120db sirens) that make staying in the interior past 5 seconds uncomfortable

you will also need a cable lock on your hood and/or battery backup for the brains. otherwise they will bust in, pop the hood, cut the battery, and the alarm will shut down

nate
03-02-2008, 04:57 PM
All I need is the few seconds it takes for the alarm to go off and me to be outside smashing the ass bag's face on the curb.

ILikeMud
03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
All I need is the few seconds it takes for the alarm to go off and me to be outside smashing the ass bag's face on the curb.

There are times you won't hear it.
My truck sits at work for hours with no one around so for the truck to sit there with the alarm wailing would be a waste for me.

Looked at the Clifford Matrix 70.5X, as I'd like a remote start and alarm would be nice too. However does anyone know if I can set the sensitivity of it? I don't want it triggering when someone looks at it cocked eyed.

93ZeeJ
03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
i just had my VIPER 5900SST installed today

so far i love it... backup battery and a mini piezo ...damn that thing is loud

got the alarm for 200 from hookedontronics.com and a friend installed it for a case of beer

wonder371
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I have an avital. Works good for me. It has a built in remote start too.

Remote start (leave the heater on) + snow/cold weather = priceless