PDA

View Full Version : w00t Bought Me A Welder (Pics Of My Crappy Welds Added)

ILikeMud
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Lincoln Electric Mig Pak 10

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7300can.pdf

Regular price is $599.99 but I only paid $400 :booya:

Katesdad
12-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Congrats! Its always nice to get cool toys!

it usually runs fine
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:KKHwTAHt8GMoYM:http://www.gonomad.com/roundworldphoto/uploaded_images/big-dig-welder-705381.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gonomad.com/roundworldphoto/uploaded_images/big-dig-welder-705381.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gonomad.com/roundworldphoto/&h=677&w=1000&sz=334&hl=en&start=35&tbnid=KKHwTAHt8GMoYM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=149&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmexicans%2Bwelding%26start%3D18%26gbv %3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN) yea i just bought a welder 2 his name is suarez usually 500$ got him 4 350$ on a christmas special....SCORE:best:

redline61
12-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Thats a good welder, my friend Ian has one and it has been holding up pretty damn well. It really has some good punch for a small welder.

AprilzWarrior
12-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Now we can start looking for some projects !

Congrats on the welder. Years of fun !:smt111

SirFuego
12-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Sweet! I recently got a cheap Hobart welder to play around with. That's what was used to make the headlight housings that turned my ZJ into a robot-looking Jeep :)

CANADIAN ZJ!
12-24-2007, 09:48 AM
hope you got lotsa sheet metal to weld. That could work for sleeving frame rails and maybe your skid plate, but I wouldnt waste the time it would take to properly penetrate 1/4" thick arm mounts and bumpers personally.

do your self a favour and buy a good quality auto-darkening welding mask, saves ALOT of hassle

jsteves
12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=CANADIAN ZJ
do your self a favour and buy a good quality auto-darkening welding mask, saves ALOT of hassle[/QUOTE]

amen to that!

ILikeMud
12-24-2007, 09:41 PM
hope you got lotsa sheet metal to weld. That could work for sleeving frame rails and maybe your skid plate, but I wouldnt waste the time it would take to properly penetrate 1/4" thick arm mounts and bumpers personally.

do your self a favour and buy a good quality auto-darkening welding mask, saves ALOT of hassle

I'll be using 3/16" plate for almost everything, 1/4" is overkill and too much dead weight.
The PA special auto darking helmet is on the list once it's on sale again.
Also a gas kit and bottles.

piku303
12-25-2007, 01:02 AM
beveling the edges of what your gonna weld helps a lot. acording to this website beveling the edges of the sheet will allow you to weld stuff 50% thicker than without beveling the edges.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

great website

CANADIAN ZJ!
12-25-2007, 02:50 AM
even 3/16 is gunna be marginal with that welder. Im not saying that it can't be done, but to be real confident in the welds, you should consider pre-heating, or bevelling like piku suggested.

my point is that pre heating and bevelling can be long tedious work, I'd rather spend the extra dough on a 220 welder and save the hassle.
Especially since you have a shit ton of fab work in the plans right now. An undersize welder is just going to slow you down is all i'm sayin.

p.s. sorry I didnt get back to ya Tony, let's get together for a beer soon, i'll shoot you a msg tomorrow dude!

cheers

zj95maxx
12-25-2007, 10:25 AM
scored my hobart 180 for 445..course it needed a new gun which cost 160...but still:D

Anth, why do you say 1/4 is over kill..everything on my jeep is 1/4 and I beat the fuck out of it, I would be worried that 3/16 might dent or bend when put to the extreme abuse.:confused:

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
scored my hobart 180 for 445..course it needed a new gun which cost 160...but still:D

Anth, why do you say 1/4 is over kill..everything on my jeep is 1/4 and I beat the fuck out of it, I would be worried that 3/16 might dent or bend when put to the extreme abuse.:confused:

For frame re-enformancments I think 1/4" is adding too much dead weight.
As for bumpers, it's up to the person building it but a lot of after market stuff is 3/16" and I know some people who wheel there Heeps HARD and haven't bent 3/16".

Like Kris said in my link post, ZJs are very top heavy so it's best to try and not add even more weight to them.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 10:59 AM
even 3/16 is gunna be marginal with that welder. Im not saying that it can't be done, but to be real confident in the welds, you should consider pre-heating, or bevelling like piku suggested.

my point is that pre heating and bevelling can be long tedious work, I'd rather spend the extra dough on a 220 welder and save the hassle.
Especially since you have a shit ton of fab work in the plans right now. An undersize welder is just going to slow you down is all i'm sayin.

p.s. sorry I didnt get back to ya Tony, let's get together for a beer soon, i'll shoot you a msg tomorrow dude!

cheers

;)
Not my first time using a welder brother. I learned to weld back in college (seems so long ago). While I haven't done it much in the past few years, it comes back to you quickly. I've got some 3/16" plate in my garage, maybe I'll try welding it later today just to see what it can do.....and if I still got it :D

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Alright, here's some pics of the 3/16" plate I welded together. Did the hammer beating test and it held up (surprisingly). I'm rust as fuck at welding since I've barely done it in the past 3 years.

First shot at it (oh god it's horrible).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Weld001.jpg

2nd Time, looks a lot better imo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Weld002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Weld003.jpg

Still need to do a lot of practice, having an actually helmet and not the stupid face shield would help my gun control A LOT.
Criqutie and laugh away!

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I should also say I was using a 'C' (3) heat setting and a wire speed of 3 or 4 IIRC. That could be wrong as like I said 'Rusty!'.
Also I didn't do any real cleaning or prep apart from chamfering the piece.

jfowlzj95
12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Don't worry, I bet once I start practicing with mine the welds will look way worse than yours. :o lol

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Don't worry, I bet once I start practicing with mine the welds will look way worse than yours. :o lol

:smt117

Check out this site, http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
Lots of good info.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I do have a piece of 1/4" that was the base of my unfinished bumper build for my old ZJ. Might reuse it since it's just sitting in my garage.

zj95maxx
12-25-2007, 01:31 PM
those welds are...

practice makes perfect!

why are you doing practice welds on such big pieces of metal, id go smaller so you dont waste alot of material.

I imagine holding the shield sucks, get an auto darkening one...shits are sweet

is that flux or mig? looks mig...

BigDaveZJ
12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Dude, I think my dog could weld better than that!!

LOL

rsl
12-25-2007, 01:50 PM
The Lincoln flux core wire is CRAP! Find some Clarke flux core wire, it is a night and day difference to weld with.
Don't throw away the hand held shield, it comes in handy for the really tight spots.

CANADIAN ZJ!
12-25-2007, 02:06 PM
couple things Tony:
1) I thought this WASN'T your first time welding :smt044 just messin with ya.

2)seriously tho, take a deep breath, take your time and SLOW DOWN your travel with the whip. The wire speed/heat might not be perfect, but it looks close enough for a half decent weld, you're moving the whip way too fast tho. let the wire fill the weld more

3) I assume you know this, but your weld is all above or below the joint, make more effort to point the wire dead nuts center of the joint. you need both pieces of plate penetrated into the weld.

4) a hammer test is no test for a structural weld, shock loads from death wobble/slamming rocks and trees repeatedly are way more significant than a hammer test, just don't take weld strength for granted is my point.

5) 1/4 plate would indeed be overkill for a frame sleeve, I might go with 1/8 actually and 1/4 for the skid plate. But for link mounts/tranny crossmember and certain parts of the bumper (IE WINCH PLATE) and tow points, 3/16 plate and or a 110 welder are simply not going to cut it. the 110 welder could do the job with allot of skill and prep-work but don't underestimate that task. After ripping off a CA mount AND my trac-bar mount (albeit stock), I will not make a link mount less than 1/4" thick...just my $0.02 take it for what it's worth.

lastly...I commend your initiative and willingness to go out and try it yourself, I'd be happy to give ya some pointers in person if you like. Keep practicing and improving your skills before you're risking you life on winch plate welds and arm mounts that keep your ass on the highway hitting potholes.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 02:10 PM
those welds are...

practice makes perfect!

why are you doing practice welds on such big pieces of metal, id go smaller so you dont waste alot of material.

I imagine holding the shield sucks, get an auto darkening one...shits are sweet

is that flux or mig? looks mig...

Auto darking is on the to buy list.
I will be using the sheet metal I have to practice, I just wanted to see if it would do the 3/16" plate.
That is flux, no gas kit or tanks yet.

Dude, I think my dog could weld better than that!!
LOL

LOL, I'd like to see your dog hold the gun without oppossible thumbs.

The Lincoln flux core wire is CRAP! Find some Clarke flux core wire, it is a night and day difference to weld with.
Don't throw away the hand held shield, it comes in handy for the really tight spots.

The Lincoln flux with do till I get a gas kit.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 02:15 PM
couple things Tony:
1) I thought this WASN'T your first time welding :smt044 just messin with ya.

2)seriously tho, take a deep breath, take your time and SLOW DOWN your travel with the whip. The wire speed/heat might not be perfect, but it looks close enough for a half decent weld, you're moving the whip way too fast tho. let the wire fill the weld more

3) I assume you know this, but your weld is all above or below the joint, make more effort to point the wire dead nuts center of the joint. you need both pieces of plate penetrated into the weld.

4) a hammer test is no test for a structural weld, shock loads from death wobble/slamming rocks and trees repeatedly are way more significant than a hammer test, just don't take weld strength for granted is my point.

5) 1/4 plate would indeed be overkill for a frame sleeve, I might go with 1/8 actually and 1/4 for the skid plate. But for link mounts/tranny crossmember and certain parts of the bumper (IE WINCH PLATE) and tow points, 3/16 plate and or a 110 welder are simply not going to cut it. the 110 welder could do the job with allot of skill and prep-work but don't underestimate that task. After ripping off a CA mount AND my trac-bar mount (albeit stock), I will not make a link mount less than 1/4" thick...just my $0.02 take it for what it's worth.

lastly...I commend your initiative and willingness to go out and try it yourself, I'd be happy to give ya some pointers in person if you like. Keep practicing and improving your skills before you're risking you life on winch plate welds and arm mounts that keep your ass on the highway hitting potholes.

I won't be doing any suspension stuff with a 110v welder so don't worry about that.
I'm gonna see when the 220v welder goes on sale at CT and hopefully grab that one too.

Your more then welcome to come over and give pointers but like I said, it's been a while, give me some time to get it all back.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Here's the one CT sells:
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e724.pdf
Regular is $700.

CANADIAN ZJ!
12-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I hear ya Tony, all it takes is time and practice.
I just wanted to make sure you weren't heading down the path of the tool on JK who almost killed himself and other innocent road users when his 110v welded CA mount ripped off on the first pothole he saw.

why not buy that 230v lincoln in the first place and skip the interim 120 all together? also, call up welder's depot in brampton/mississaugastan and get a quote on a welder and auto-darkening mask, they are a lincoln dealer and might give you a decent price without waiting for a sale. Also, DON'T cheap out on the mask, spend a few xtra bux a buy quality, I don't know for sure, but I suspect the PA version is not top notch and burning your eyeballs is not a risk worth taking.

lastly, Im looking forward to a beer and build chat with ya brother, it's a crazy time of year but I will put aside time for you soon man.

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I hear ya Tony, all it takes is time and practice.
I just wanted to make sure you weren't heading down the path of the tool on JK who almost killed himself and other innocent road users when his 110v welded CA mount ripped off on the first pothole he saw.

why not buy that 230v lincoln in the first place and skip the interim 120 all together? also, call up welder's depot in brampton/mississaugastan and get a quote on a welder and auto-darkening mask, they are a lincoln dealer and might give you a decent price without waiting for a sale. Also, DON'T cheap out on the mask, spend a few xtra bux a buy quality, I don't know for sure, but I suspect the PA version is not top notch and burning your eyeballs is not a risk worth taking.

lastly, Im looking forward to a beer and build chat with ya brother, it's a crazy time of year but I will put aside time for you soon man.

Or the guy who welded his long arm mounts to the stock trans cross member?
It's more so my old man's welder then mine I wanted the 220v but he didn't so this is what we got.

I know of Welder's Depot, I was going to buy a Hobart from when I was still in college, I might still buy one.
The PA helmet, it's all I've ever used when welding actually, both in college and with Justin's welder. Never had any issues unless it wasn't adjusted right, I think this goes for any auto darking helmet though. I will look around before committing my cash to something.

As for having a beer and build chat, I've been waiting for that since October :flipoff2: I understand though man, once January 1st pasts everything will die down again.

CANADIAN ZJ!
12-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Or the guy you welded his long arm mounts to the stock trans cross member?

just like to save my credibility and state that this is a typo, it was not me who welded LA's to stock crossmember. some teenager on our local board

I'll be in touch soon Tony

ILikeMud
12-25-2007, 05:50 PM
just like to save my credibility and state that this is a typo, it was not me who welded LA's to stock crossmember. some teenager on our local board

I'll be in touch soon Tony

Yea, that guys scares me. Fixed the typo too.

it usually runs fine
12-26-2007, 12:46 AM
just slow down and ur good

ILikeMud
12-26-2007, 01:04 AM
I did some practice beads after, definitely better then before.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

DJJordache
12-26-2007, 11:43 AM
I did some practice beads after, definitely better then before.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow.hopefully something less booggery:smt082 I think JBweld would have been better than the first bead:D

Katesdad
12-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I dont know if anyone told you but you can practice welds without welding things together. Just run beads down the metal. About an inch apart just to practice your patterns and gun to metal speed/distance. Saves metal too.

ILikeMud
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I dont know if anyone told you but you can practice welds without welding things together. Just run beads down the metal. About an inch apart just to practice your patterns and gun to metal speed/distance. Saves metal too.

That's what I've been doing.
Haven't taken pictures of the new sheet.

SuicideTireZJ
12-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Mine's bigger:D http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7354.pdf

I've got about the same amount of work to do and experience as you. Wanna race? I'll wait for funds to come in and you can put a lift on, and we'll see where we're at by GSW, if you'll be there.

violatedppl
12-28-2007, 02:37 AM
I went from standard helment with green lense to auto dark, back to standrad with gold lense. And I will probably stay with it. just my opinion, I would never go back to an autodark or atleast not the ones Ive seen or used just because the calrity(sp) of the gold lense is so much better than anything else I have seen and that is more important to me. and its nice to be able to grind the shit out of something without shit flying at your face.

jfowlzj95
12-28-2007, 06:13 AM
I've got about the same amount of work to do and experience as you. Wanna race?

I'll race you both! :D Just got mine wired up and ready to go earlier today, man do I have a ways to go. lol

piku303
12-28-2007, 12:34 PM
count me in on this race. ive just started my bumper(first fab project) so i might be a little ahead. just got my welder less than a month ago. little lincoln 135 but it will get the job done. after the bumper its engine/tranny, and t case skids. then some diff protection and sliders. might just but a cheap used gas skid to save on time. has anybody made their own skids? id love to see what you guys did.

ILikeMud
12-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Mine's bigger:D http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7354.pdf

I've got about the same amount of work to do and experience as you. Wanna race? I'll wait for funds to come in and you can put a lift on, and we'll see where we're at by GSW, if you'll be there.

I'll race you both! :D Just got mine wired up and ready to go earlier today, man do I have a ways to go. lol

I'm gonna have to pass.
Not sure what I'm gonna do with mine right now. Part of me wants to go LA now and have it done.

I'd love to make GSW this year but with a move coming up and other crappy life shit, I dunno.

SuicideTireZJ
12-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah it sucks when your life gets in the way of your hobbies. If you can swing LA's now, I'd say that's one of the best investments you can make for your jeep, especially since Clayton's comes with a subframe and you were already planning on that.

I still have to get the garage wired up and get confident welding with the wirefeed, since all my experience to this point is stick. After I get comfortable it's 1. Fix the front bumper 2. Build rear bumper/ gas tank skid 3. Install T&T frame stiffeners 4. Cut out rockers and make sliders

We'll see if all that happens before June.

ILikeMud
12-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah it sucks when your life gets in the way of your hobbies. If you can swing LA's now, I'd say that's one of the best investments you can make for your jeep, especially since Clayton's comes with a subframe and you were already planning on that.

I still have to get the garage wired up and get confident welding with the wirefeed, since all my experience to this point is stick. After I get comfortable it's 1. Fix the front bumper 2. Build rear bumper/ gas tank skid 3. Install T&T frame stiffeners 4. Cut out rockers and make sliders

We'll see if all that happens before June.

Don't get me wrong, Clayton's is a great kit but I've just got dreams of making my own.

As for life, fack, I'm changing careers, possibly going back to school and moving this year. Not to mention most likely helping my parents move across the country and then having to fly home next Christmas to visit them.
I just wish I had more money for toys.

unforgiven
12-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Gonna jump in on this thread and say "yaaaayyyy the wife just got me a late xmas present today!!!"

Was from crappy tire, $599 as a mig pak 180, can't seem ta find that on lincoln's site tho. Inside it sez 180T, but the innards are more resembling this......

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e727.pdf

So, umm i guess mine's bigger :coffee:
But, alas, i have never welded anything in my life, so this could be interesting, lol :smt120

unforgiven
12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Here's the one CT sells:
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e724.pdf
Regular is $700.

just reread the thread again an found this post.

hey yeah, that is similar to the one c tire sells, but the internals are the same as the one i posted. and it was reg 749, at least here in manitoba. hmmm

adam99wj
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
you gettin any better yet????

nate
01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't mean to be a dick, but are you sure you were good at welding 3 years ago?

Welding is riding a bike, once you learn, you don't forget!

ILikeMud
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Metal wasn't prepped right.

Getting better, having the auto darking helment is very nice.

piku303
01-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Or the guy who welded his long arm mounts to the stock trans cross member?

ok i might sound like a dumbass but why exactly is this totally unsafe? if the welds to the xmember were sound and you secured it to the unibody a little more soundly why is this a bad idea? is this any less safe than the factory LCA and UCA mounts?

jfowlzj95
01-17-2008, 02:10 AM
ok i might sound like a dumbass but why exactly is this totally unsafe? if the welds to the xmember were sound and you secured it to the unibody a little more soundly why is this a bad idea? is this any less safe than the factory LCA and UCA mounts?

Stock cross member is kinda weak, I busted mine up pretty good by dropping it on a curb. Plus if you needed to remove the the cross member, your links are gonna go with it if they're mounted to it.

CANADIAN ZJ!
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
you could unbolt the arms before you drop the crossmember. However, assuming that you actually wheel rocks initiating the need for long arms, there's no way in fawk the stock crossmember would last 1 season of abuse.

example:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/CDN_ZJ/P1000228.jpg

that was on short arms. and maybe 4 trail runs (I know, I know, skid is being built)

jfowlzj95
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
While we're posting pics on the strength of the stock cross member...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/crossmember4.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/crossmember2.jpg

This was back when I was stock (and into mudding), I was coming off the curb at my old high school and the drop was a little more than I expected. 2 bolts broke, 2 stayed in but 1 of the mounts on the cross member broke to where only 1 bolt was holding it up. Had it towed to a shop and put under some small 2x4 blocks and a bottle jack to support the weight of the tranny and t-case.

piku303
01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
wow...ok haha. well how would you guys go about beefing it up? or i guess i could just make a new one. 3/16s thick enough? does anybody want to post some pics of their x member with CA mounts?

CANADIAN ZJ!
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
not worth beefing.

Im planning on 1/4 wall tube bolted to the frame sleeves. 4x1 tube.

you might get away with 3/16, but I like to overbuild on the underside/rock contact surface

jfowlzj95
01-17-2008, 03:15 PM
If you want to keep your stock cross member you could do like what Cody did and sandwich your mounts in between the cross member and the unibody.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11966

piku303
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
wondering if terraflex would sell just the front of the kit??

DJJordache
01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
wondering if terraflex would sell just the front of the kit??
why would you want that? it still uses the stock mounting locations for the uppers, and by doing so REALLY jacks up the pinion angle throughout the suspension cycle

macka
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
If you want to keep your stock cross member you could do like what Cody did and sandwich your mounts in between the cross member and the unibody.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11966

nope not what I would do, I like what CanadianZJ is doing. I'm going to be un-original and follow suit. I don't want my driveline ripped up by an upretentious stump or rock. I think for the about the same amount of weight, you can have a hell of a lot beefier set up.

CrawlerReady
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I just built myself a new cross member....gained 1" more clearance and it's built out of 5/8" thick steel. I'll post some pics up of it tomorrow so ya'll can check it out and know what not to do :D

piku303
01-21-2008, 02:04 AM
why would you want that? it still uses the stock mounting locations for the uppers, and by doing so REALLY jacks up the pinion angle throughout the suspension cycle

cause i got a welder and those adj terra uppers you sold me:) which i just put on by the way haha. id weld on some tabs to the tops of the terra long arms and run radius arm style a la RE.

pcdave28
03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
i went to school for this. turn up the heat a lil and try agian. build a puddle and run with it. thats what mine looked like on the first day of school. just takes practice and a few spools of wire. i have found that trying different size wire welds different. so i would try a smaller wire and the correct tip in the gun. do some tests and use a metal table and stool to get comfertable. see if any of your buddys can weld. have them come over with there helmet and watch you and give you pointers on your techneke

rccolacc
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Holy run-on sentence. Ever heard of periods?

midwestxj
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Yea, my wife gets them every month with an attitude.:D

jfowlzj95
03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Wat?

pcdave28
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Well i didnt know i was still in school.:rant:

AndyZJ
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
You weld like Micheal J Fox! :smt031