PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 Super Duty guys

BigDaveZJ
12-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Thinking about trying to put a group buy together for the ATS Ported Turbo housing to cure turbo surge. My truck does it pretty good and I know a couple other people who are looking at the ATS. NO clue what kind of discount I could get, but figured I'd see if anyone is interested.

FearTheDentist
12-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I can't commit to anything, but would consider it if the price is right.

I'm a little confused though. On the ATS page it says the stock housing has a 3" intake while theirs is 4". My memory is nagging me though- I thought the stock was 4". Do you recall one way or another?

Assuming you do have to replace your intake, have you looked into what you'll use? After hauling Matt's buggy off the trail at GSW '06 I went to clean my air filter and discovered both the stock airbox clips had broken, so I replaced the stock airbox with a giant NAPA cannister filter like this: http://www.superdutydiesel.com/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=38 ).
It has good airflow but the noise is kind of annoying, so if I upgraded the turbo housing I would probably look for a quieter intake at the same time. Suggestions?.

BTW- if anyone goes doing that air filter mod, drill a hole in the end of the filter for moisture sensor. If you don't re-install it you get the moisture light on the dash all the time. I forget exactly what size it is, but I want to say it's 5\8". It's a bit tough getting the grommet from the stock airbox seated, it helps to use a little oil. Be sure to drill the hole with a forstner bit or you wont get a clean lip for the grommet to seat on.

BigDaveZJ
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I've got the AFE Stage II intake on mine, quiet is not really a word I would use to describe it, but I like the noise, except when the turbo is surging.

My impression on the 3" vs 4" thing is that where the hose necks down to the turbo is goes from 4" to 3", and the new ATS housing keeps it 4" all the way.

paulkeith
12-21-2007, 09:49 PM
dave, are you chipped?

the stock turbo is 3"....i'm 99.9% sure. the napa filter base is somewhere around 4" and i know it necks down as it goes to the turbo. the noise doesn't really bother me either. i put my filter minder into a plastic bag. i dont think its a moisture sensor.

what about the wicked wheel? i feel like i'd try that for $80 before i tried a new $400 housing. I'm not getting too much surge, kind of depends on the weather it seems...

BigDaveZJ
12-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Not yet, but a DP is in the plans within the 90-120 days.

I'm still debating between doing the WW over the housing. I haven't found too many situations where someone was getting surge and the wheel didn't fix it.

paulkeith
12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
man, i wasn't getting any surge at all without my dp tuner....but you're high altitude, aren't you?

i have been considering the ww just because its really reasonably priced, but really just dont really feel like pulling the turbo, and i only notice the surge occasionally. i'll have to pay attention and see what exact speed/gear/loading causes mine.

i had the whole intake apart to do the hpop orings last year, and should've just done it then along with the pedestal orings. oh well.

i wonder if having the ww and then going to the ats housing would have any negative effects? you could try the WW and if you're still getting surge or flutter then you could spend the big coin on a new housing...

btw, you're gonna love the dp chip. I drove to Jody's house to pick mine up, he is a stand up dude. You should try to remove some zeros from your getting a chip timeline. which programs are you lookin at

edit: clipped from thedieselstop:

but basically the WW is just a lower trim wheel that will make higher pressure at a lower flow before it surges (akin to a boat propeller with a shallower pitch) and the ATS housing just bleeds off some of the air from the inducer so that flow won't stall and your turbo blades won't loose their lift.

BigDaveZJ
12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
The only time I've noticed significant surge was going up 10k ft passes with the Jeep and trailer in tow. I notice the flutter quite a bit around town though. It all started after I did the AFE Stage II intake, or at least that's when I started hearing it.

As for tunes, I was gonna go stock, 80 hp econo, 60hp high altitude tow, and the 120hp race. I would really love to move up the timeframe, but $$$ dictates mods.

nate
12-22-2007, 01:15 AM
BHAF (Big Honkin Air Filter). I have one on my Dodge. Good idea to put the outwears on it too. Wix part # 2790, about $40.

Your not joking about $$$ Dave. I threw down about $5500 for parts on the truck just this month.

I can't commit to anything, but would consider it if the price is right.

I'm a little confused though. On the ATS page it says the stock housing has a 3" intake while theirs is 4". My memory is nagging me though- I thought the stock was 4". Do you recall one way or another?

Assuming you do have to replace your intake, have you looked into what you'll use? After hauling Matt's buggy off the trail at GSW '06 I went to clean my air filter and discovered both the stock airbox clips had broken, so I replaced the stock airbox with a giant NAPA cannister filter like this: http://www.superdutydiesel.com/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=38 ).
It has good airflow but the noise is kind of annoying, so if I upgraded the turbo housing I would probably look for a quieter intake at the same time. Suggestions?.

BTW- if anyone goes doing that air filter mod, drill a hole in the end of the filter for moisture sensor. If you don't re-install it you get the moisture light on the dash all the time. I forget exactly what size it is, but I want to say it's 5\8". It's a bit tough getting the grommet from the stock airbox seated, it helps to use a little oil. Be sure to drill the hole with a forstner bit or you wont get a clean lip for the grommet to seat on.

paulkeith
12-22-2007, 09:37 PM
The only time I've noticed significant surge was going up 10k ft passes with the Jeep and trailer in tow. I notice the flutter quite a bit around town though. It all started after I did the AFE Stage II intake, or at least that's when I started hearing it.

As for tunes, I was gonna go stock, 80 hp econo, 60hp high altitude tow, and the 120hp race. I would really love to move up the timeframe, but $$$ dictates mods.

how do you define surge and flutter? just curious...its the most endless debate on most of the diesel forums. what i'm calling surge is when under load, usually when pulling/hauling, at 60mph if i try to accelerate, i get a fast rise and fall of the boost (not enough to see on the gauge, but i can recognize the sound)

and then i guess its also "surge," but i get the sneeze/fart out of the intake if i lift off the throttle quickly after hard acceleration.

you may want the 40hp program too, i was having trouble keeping the EGTs in check on my 40hp program when i was grossing maybe 17.5klbs combined.

oh, also, I use the WIX 46637/napa 6637. $27 from fleet filter. looks like its a little taller but a little narrower.

2790: 11.88x10.5, with "CFM" of 680
6637: 12.38x8.5 , "CFM" of 425

not sure how much fidelity to give the "CFM" ratings on fleetfilter.com though. also don't think there could be taht much difference between the two.

BigDaveZJ
12-22-2007, 09:58 PM
My definition of surge and flutter is the exact same as yours.