PDA

View Full Version : 4.0L (w/ AC) Serpentine Belt

Z
12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
New Goodyear Gatorback. It's a long story*, but enough of the labeling is gone that I don't feel right taking it back to the auto store.

It'd be nice if I could get some money for it, but I really just don't want to throw it away.

*Since you're bored enough to want the full story...

I replaced my (serpentine fed) OBA compressor - after 8 years the old one gave up the ghost. While in the area, I replaced the cracked serpentine belt with a new one. The pulley on my previous compressor was of a size that a 4.0L serpentine belt fit perfectly. I didn't realize that the new (boneyard) compressor had a smaller pulley, so I put the new Gatorback on and ran the engine long enough to run down the battery, convince myself that the alternator was bad and wear off the labeling on the Gatorback. After replacing the alternator (that didn't need replacing), I finally realized that the serpentine belt was just too long. The belt felt a little loose, but not REAL loose (and the alternator didn't squeal as I would expect with a loose belt. So, $200 later, I have an unnecessarily new alternator and a nearly new stock 4.0L serpentine belt. And I feel like an absolute idiot.

I guess since I'm on the subject of selling stuff - does anyone want a 7 year old high output alternator (from a 5.9) for more than the $60 core charge that Napa will give me? At 7 years old, I'm not sure it's worth more than $60.