PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Newb Welding questions:

SuicideTireZJ
12-07-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm pretty much set on getting a Lincoln 175 Mig, they seem to be a pretty well made unit which should serve me pretty well for anything I'll need to do to the heep (and my friends heeps... and my friends friends heeps...) and can get them for pretty decent prices.

As far as voltage control: do I REALLY need a continuous (infinite) control, or can I get away with a tapped one?

And gas vs. flux shielded wire. What is the advantage of gas shielding, really? Splatter control? Prettier welds? Just seems like one more thing for a newb to worry about, so I probably won't fuck with it, at least starting out.

Your thoughts?

slim616
12-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm no expert but according to the diagram on the side of the lincon welder (at least with the 135hd) you can weld thicker metal with out the gas.

it usually runs fine
12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
its all about practice you could definately weld anything with the lincoln with practice even stainless or aluminum just get the right rods and practice heavily BEFORE you touch ur jeep i suggest practicing on your buddies first lol

nate
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Infinite control is nice. That is what mine is.

Gas vs flux??

MIG is cheaper overall. Flux wire is very expensive... like 6-8x the price of MIG wire. You may as well just get a stick welder if you want to weld with flux core on a 240v machine. It'd be cheaper.

nate
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Wire feed welders don't use rods.

You can do aluminum or stainless with the right wire, liner and shielding gas. Spool gun is nice with aluminum.

its all about practice you could definately weld anything with the lincoln with practice even stainless or aluminum just get the right rods and practice heavily BEFORE you touch ur jeep i suggest practicing on your buddies first lol

ZJ Pappy
12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
The shielding gas isn't for pretty welds, it keeps the oxygen and crap out which degrades the quality of the weld. Flux core burns hotter, so it penetrates easier into thicker metals.

AndyZJ
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Hell yea it does, that's why i used a nice heavy stick welder to weld on my brackets to the 8.8. You can tell if you don't have the gas turned on with a mig welder, the welds look like shit, i'd mostly describe them as clam shell looking.