PDA

View Full Version : gas tank lift for ZJ

cooperzj
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Here's a crazy idea:

How about removing the gas tank and building a "basket/box" for it to sit in, cutting into the floor of the cargo area and dropping this basket in there. Make it so that it sits about 5" higher than the floor of the cargo area. Build a wood box to sit on top and around it to act as the new cargo floor.

This raises the gas tank higher so as not to hit crap like rocks and junk.

I know it will raise the COG, but not that much considering it'll only be a few inches higher. And the bulk of the gas will still be pretty low.

I was thinking of building a tool chest to incorporate it into the floor. Also, you could get to the fuel pump easier if needed.

By not raising it more than 5" or so, I figure with a few holes I could utilize the stock filling cap/neck. Just re-route the tubes.

zj95maxx
12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
as for the "basket". the stock way your gas tank is held up is by metal straps, you could just raise it, and instead of re using those straps, get 2 pieces of tube bent to conform to the tank, and bolt/weld the tube somwhre so the tank stays up.

we were gunna do this on mine, but if i was gunna do anything to the gas tank, it would be a fuel cell

cooperzj
12-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I was thinking somthing like that at first but still liked the idea of having a skidplate back under there.

Just the bottom would be fine for me. I hate having the gas tank drag on every ledge I go off of. I think I could do this in a short weekend.

Wonder why I haven't seen this on any other rigs? Any time I ask myself this question, the answer is usually, "because its a dumb idea" or "there's a better way to do this". I'm just waiting for someone to show me the "better way." I'd probably attempt this sometime next year in the spring when the weather is a little warmer.

zj95maxx
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
if your scraping your tank now..and you think raising it you will STILL hit it..id go fuel cell or something..cuz, i never touch mine..and with the skid..im not worried..(that much)

K2
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
WARMER? You live in Augusta Georgia!

cooperzj
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
WARMER? You live in Augusta Georgia!

Ha! Yeah, well, I guess for me anything below 60' is cold.

Everything is relative!

So you think I'd be good with just some sort of strap/tube somthing to hold it up? No skid? Yeah, that would be easier and cheaper.... I can always add one if I still make contact after the lift/tuck.

zj95maxx
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Ha! Yeah, well, I guess for me anything below 60' is cold.

Everything is relative!

So you think I'd be good with just some sort of strap/tube somthing to hold it up? No skid? Yeah, that would be easier and cheaper.... I can always add one if I still make contact after the lift/tuck.

if your tank is 5 inches higher and ur still hitting it..find somewhere new to wheel:D