PDA

View Full Version : **Grand Slam West Dates Set for 2008**

Z
12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
May 30 -> June 1.

If you are interested, we have a group rate at the Redstone Inn: http://www.moabredstone.com/ Ask for the Grand Slam West group rate (Monica is aware of us coming).

Trails and other information will be passed along as the Planners finalize details. If you are interested in helping us out with GSW 2008 (leading trails, helping plan events, etc) please let us know!

K2
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I put it on the calendar. Thanks Tom.

wheelnzj
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
That works for me!
Are you sure on these dates, are they really set?
I am putting in for Vacation and plan on being there.

Thanks,
Ron

Z
12-02-2007, 12:10 AM
That works for me!
Are you sure on these dates, are they really set?
I am putting in for Vacation and plan on being there.

Thanks,
Ron
Set in stone. Book your vacation on those dates.

Colorado 5.9
12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Res. made at the Red Stone.:)

ArloGuthroJeep
12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Schweeeeeeet, only 6 months away:)

fpkites
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Did somebody get a hold of Red Stone to see if we get a group rate again?

Cue-Ball
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I am not even going to say I am going to try to attend this year as you all know how well that has worked for me in the last few years.

We will see.

fpkites
12-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Just say it Dirk...you know you wanna :D

Colorado 5.9
12-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I asked the woman that took my res. but she knew nothing. I did tell her that it was for GSW but "she" new nothing of us. I'm sure they will give us the group rate again. We just have talk to the right person.

dwcustoms
12-04-2007, 10:00 PM
What was the point of the poll if the dates are set on the weekend that the majority of the people said they could NOT attend?

BigDaveZJ
12-04-2007, 11:35 PM
What was the point of the poll if the dates are set on the weekend that the majority of the people said they could NOT attend?

The poll was only one of the many things we took in to consideration when selecting the date.

PassRunnerZJ
12-04-2007, 11:44 PM

?

Not to be a butt, but it was mostly tied or a few more towards the May date, so why be angsty? You never can please all the people all the time.

Please attend if you can, and if you can, peg the fun and enjoyment meter while being safe.

Time to get those vaction days submitted...

BigDaveZJ
12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Just talked to Cindy at the Redstone making my reservations. No group rate has been setup but she will pass it on to Monica to get it taken care of. Scott, yours is already setup. If anyone else has made reservations, just call them back and let them know!

Colorado 5.9
12-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Thanks!

DansZJ
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Just talked to Cindy at the Redstone making my reservations. No group rate has been setup but she will pass it on to Monica to get it taken care of. Scott, yours is already setup. If anyone else has made reservations, just call them back and let them know!

I'm booking my reservation @ Redstone. Should I ask for a group rate at this point, or just book the room and hope for a discount as we get closer? Thx!

BigDaveZJ
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
They should have the info. If you can, talk to Monica there as she's worked there forever and handled our group rate for many years.

DansZJ
12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
:smt023 Appreciate the quick answer AND the discount!

AprilzWarrior
12-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Looks like a go on my end. Ill be calling Redstone shortly.

ArloGuthroJeep
12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Sweet, I would love to see your rig in person AW!

BigDaveZJ
12-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Looks like a go on my end. Ill be calling Redstone shortly.

Bout time you made it out here!

AprilzWarrior
12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I know ! :smt118 Ive always wanted to go, but money has been the issue... plain and simple. Now with a Tow Rig its a givin !

wpcheairs
12-18-2007, 05:57 AM
I'll call Redstone in the morning. I can't beliave its that time again already. See you all there...

ILikeMud
12-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm very interested in going to this. Wanted to make it for years now.
Only problem is it's the weekend before GSO so I'm not sure how that will work out for vacation time.
I'll have to see what I can do closer to the date.

wpcheairs
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Is the registration open yet? Will I have to register both the ZJ and the WJ?

silber
12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh man...
I gotta try to make it this year! Guess I better get of my fat ass and start working on the Jeep!

Cody
12-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Is the registration open yet? Will I have to register both the ZJ and the WJ?

are you driving both of them at the same time?

The driver registers, not the vehicle. You wouldn't be the first person to bring a spare jeep to GSW ;)

SirFuego
12-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm very interested in going to this. Wanted to make it for years now.
Only problem is it's the weekend before GSO so I'm not sure how that will work out for vacation time.
I'll have to see what I can do closer to the date.
Keep me updated if you decide to go, Tony. I've been wanting to make it out to Moab...

fpkites
12-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Woot! Reservation for the Karlin clan has been made. No scrambling for boarding for me this year :D

Cody
12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I'll probably wait until April/May to reserve my cushy condo.

Sheep ;)

wpcheairs
12-20-2007, 02:38 AM
are you driving both of them at the same time?

The driver registers, not the vehicle. You wouldn't be the first person to bring a spare jeep to GSW ;)

No just going to be driving one at a time but thought that it might be fun to take the WJ on some of the milder trails.

tharlanjr
01-04-2008, 06:13 AM
What are the Requirements for going? I have a 97, 5.2, 3.5 RE SF, 30" BFG AT's, Uniden CB...

I am trying to make it possible for me to go, lol.

Colorado 5.9
01-04-2008, 06:25 AM
http://gsw.mallcrawlin.com/index_files/Requirements.htm

AprilzWarrior
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
The Registration page is down... or at least not working for me. Id like to fill it out.

BigDaveZJ
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Registration probably won't be opened up until mid-February sometime.

PassRunnerZJ
01-07-2008, 12:57 AM
I put a note on the first page and removed the links since they don't currently go anywhere. I'll put the link back once the registration site is up.

ArloGuthroJeep
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey Dave, what ever happened to the discussion on co4x4 about needing insurance?

BigDaveZJ
01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Dave, what ever happened to the discussion on co4x4 about needing insurance?

The new laws go into effect AFTER our event this year, so we don't need it for this year, but looks like we will for 09.

ArloGuthroJeep
01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Thats good to hear:)

froggo27
01-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Would a 3" lift WJ have any fun out there or just have too many problems.....if i dont get a bigger lift by then?

BigDaveZJ
01-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Would a 3" lift WJ have any fun out there or just have too many problems.....if i dont get a bigger lift by then?

You would have plenty of fun, as long as you've got rock sliders and skid plates!

ArloGuthroJeep
01-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Kamil, like Dave said there is plenty to play on for you out there:cool:

froggo27
01-15-2008, 08:17 AM
ok sounds good, now i can start fighting with the wife and maybe i'll get kicked out the house around may 30th to june 1. and all i'd need is that dang TC skid.

fpkites
01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Dave, wasn't Putz running a BB and 31s? He did just fine on Poison Spider.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K7/PoisonSpider/Jeep%20056%20[1024x768].jpg

JohnBoulderCO
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
At my first GSW I was on a 2" BB and 31's and had a blast! I ran Poison Spyder and caught the fever. :D

fpkites
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
The trail leaders at GSW '07 were beyond top notch. They all were very attentive to rig builds and driver capabilities, and adjusted their spotting style where necessary. I came back from GSW a completely different wheeler.

Cody
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
At my first GSW I was on a 2" BB and 31's and had a blast! I ran Poison Spyder and caught the fever. :D

My first GSW I was bone stock and it was my first time wheeling the ZJ :D

ArloGuthroJeep
01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Dave, wasn't Putz running a BB and 31s? He did just fine on Poison Spider.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW2K7/PoisonSpider/Jeep%20056%20[1024x768].jpg

He was running 32's:gay:

BigDaveZJ
01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
The trail leaders at GSW '07 were beyond top notch. They all were very attentive to rig builds and driver capabilities, and adjusted their spotting style where necessary. I came back from GSW a completely different wheeler.

We also gave you guys a crash course in trail repairs!! :smt046

ArloGuthroJeep
01-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh you need a floor jack? wtf why didn't you say so Dave?:mrgreen:

CrawlerReady
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I'll be attending this year :D

Kraqa
01-21-2008, 12:22 AM
does my new buggy qualify?

nate
01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
What is the rate at the Red Rim? If I head down, I'll probably camp out. There is a place that is free to military guys, can't think of the name right now.

BigDaveZJ
01-21-2008, 01:34 AM
does my new buggy qualify?

If Hal's qualified, I'm sure yours would.

newman187
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
I may be attending therefore I contacted Moab Redstone Inn to get some rates, and yes Monica knows all about it.

For a single bed rate is: $64.99 per night
For a double bed (2 beds) rate is: $69.99 per night

Which seems pretty reasonable considering I am paying some $148.49 for Easter Jeep Safari in March.

That being said gonna talk to the wife tonight to see if she is wanting to go as it seems like its going to be good times.

AprilzWarrior
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I may be attending therefore I contacted Moab Redstone Inn to get some rates, and yes Monica knows all about it.

For a single bed rate is: $64.99 per night
For a double bed (2 beds) rate is: $69.99 per night

Which seems pretty reasonable considering I am paying some $148.49 for Easter Jeep Safari in March.

That being said gonna talk to the wife tonight to see if she is wanting to go as it seems like its going to be good times.

I see your in Salt Lake... can you give a good Rec for a place to stay the night, as we are going there before Moab, during our trip.

Colorado 5.9
01-23-2008, 06:21 AM
The last few years it's been 59.99 a night for a double if I remember right.

If so that will ad $50 to the bill for me.:(

newman187
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I see your in Salt Lake... can you give a good Rec for a place to stay the night, as we are going there before Moab, during our trip.

Whats your price range? I would suggest staying either some where in down town Salt Lake City near the Gateway, or you can stay in Park City which is about 25 minutes up Parleys canyon, park city (kimball junction) is beautiful any time of the year, just dont stay anywhere right off the freeway, head more into town. I use to work at Deer Valley ski resort back in the day, they have excellent accomodations.

I dont want to HI-jack this thread, send me a PM for further info or I can give you my phone number to discuss your options.

BTW, wifey said yes to the trip, gonna be booking my room soon.

ZJ TINS
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Dont forget the 18-20% hotel tax.

The only thing cheap left in Moab is the sand...

Cody
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
AW, how long will you be in town? Let me know if you'll be here for a little bit--we can go break some parts or kill some beers before GSW starts.

I also 2nd the recomended accomodations, however if you're dragging a trailer around you may want to find something a little bit away from down town. You could park your trailer at my place I guess which is only a couple minutes from down town.

Cue-Ball
01-23-2008, 02:37 PM
What we can crash at Cody's place, RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be leaving the Bay Area EARLY Thurs. morning, driving as far as we can, crashing somewhere then back on the road again Friday morning to make it to Moab by the afternoon on Friday.

And yes we are currently planning on two trailers.

Sandy R
01-23-2008, 05:42 PM

We will be leaving the Bay Area EARLY Thurs. morning, driving as far as we can, crashing somewhere then back on the road again Friday morning to make it to Moab by the afternoon on Friday.

Glad you're finally making it but your schedule means you miss Day 1 (Friday). It's a grinder but I used to leave the Bay Area by 5am sharp and drive straight through arriving just before the Brewery closed. Or, what about leaving Wednesday after work and driving 5-6 hours and then leaving again early Thursday am?

Cody
01-23-2008, 05:46 PM

If you guys just need a place to crash, I have a small guest bedroom in my small home in the ghetto.....and couches. You're welcome to them.

However, I'll be in Moab before you even leave so you might be out of luck. I usually start the grueling 3 hour drive sometime wednesday night after traffic dies down.

ahhhhhh, its nice to think that just by going from the 4.0 to the 5.2 I've shaved almost an hour off of my Moab commute. Life is grand.

Cue-Ball
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Glad you're finally making it but your schedule means you miss Day 1 (Friday). It's a grinder but I used to leave the Bay Area by 5am sharp and drive straight through arriving just before the Brewery closed. Or, what about leaving Wednesday after work and driving 5-6 hours and then leaving again early Thursday am?

I did not think anything really happened until Friday evening, is that incorrect??

I am not driving, so I am not the final decision on the schedule. Trust me I know all about long haul driving, done it many many times before. Hell when I lived in LA I used to drive up to SF do work at a clients site and then drive home that same day. (crazy shit when you are young I guess).

Dirk

Sandy R
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Dirk, GSW starts Friday morning and concludes after a half day run Sunday. A pretty cool Meet & Greet happens Thursday eve and then the partying begins. Partying in Moab includes varying activities from night runs to parking lot repairs to well, drinking & "storytelling." Some refer to it as "shooting the shit." Once sufficient alcohol has been consumed it transitions to lots of "bullshit." At any rate, usually a fun time is had by most.

I did not think anything really happened until Friday evening, is that incorrect??

I am not driving, so I am not the final decision on the schedule. Trust me I know all about long haul driving, done it many many times before. Hell when I lived in LA I used to drive up to SF do work at a clients site and then drive home that same day. (crazy shit when you are young I guess).

Dirk

Cody
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
actually, I require very little booz to spew bull shit. thats pretty much what I do. It's how my life has meaning....

ok, I'll go away for awhile..

Cue-Ball
01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Shit, okay thanks guys I will get with AW and the others to see what we can do.

I think we thought it started Friday afternoon/evening.

Got the rooms reserved for Friday and Saturday nights should not be tough to add Thursday night on if we can all make it there.

Oh well better to know now than closer to the time.

fpkites
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Dirk, GSW starts Friday morning and concludes after a half day run Sunday. A pretty cool Meet & Greet happens Thursday eve and then the partying begins. Partying in Moab includes varying activities from night runs to parking lot repairs to well, drinking & "storytelling." Some refer to it as "shooting the shit." Once sufficient alcohol has been consumed it transitions to lots of "bullshit." At any rate, usually a fun time is had by most.

So Sandy - is the difference between most and all the people that rolled their shit and set it on fire? :rofl: Last year was my first year, and even the wife who's not so huge on wheeling had a blast!

newman187
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Awww shit, there will be plenty of places to park depending where you stay. If I end up going I'll leave Thursday after work, since I'm hauling my Jeep and not Driving we wont leave untill about 7:00 pm as I am not to keen on pulling a 20' trailer through traffic especially when it involves Point of the Mountain to Provo. . . if you live in Utah you know what i'm talkin about.

If you need ideas on where to stay send me a PM, even if you dont stay down town you can always hit it up, there are plenty of places to eat and get trashed if thats the kind of time you are lookin' for

AprilzWarrior
01-23-2008, 11:29 PM
AW, how long will you be in town? Let me know if you'll be here for a little bit--we can go break some parts or kill some beers before GSW starts.

I also 2nd the recomended accomodations, however if you're dragging a trailer around you may want to find something a little bit away from down town. You could park your trailer at my place I guess which is only a couple minutes from down town.

Looks like we will be rolling in Weds now, and then leave Sunday night "maybe" monday... not sure, gotta ask the fellas.

Sandy R
01-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Looks like we will be rolling in Weds now, and then leave Sunday night "maybe" monday... not sure, gotta ask the fellas.

My schedule for the last 8 out of 10 years (and this year) is to leave home at 5am on Tuesday and drive straight through to Moab.

I leave Moab for home Sunday and again drive straight through. I only use 4 vacation days but get the better part of a week to enjoy Moab each year.

Wednesday I take it really easy, Thursday do a trail and the Meet & Greet, and Friday-Sunday is GSW.

AprilzWarrior
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
My schedule for the last 8 out of 10 years (and this year) is to leave home at 5am on Tuesday and drive straight through to Moab.

I leave Moab for home Sunday and again drive straight through. I only use 4 vacation days but get the better part of a week to enjoy Moab each year.

Wednesday I take it really easy, Thursday do a trail and the Meet & Greet, and Friday-Sunday is GSW.

Good to know... trying to plan this is a PITA. I have 2 people going with me... possibly NorCalJr with his truck also (HUGE MAYBE).

Cue-Ball
01-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Good to know... trying to plan this is a PITA. I have 2 people going with me... possibly NorCalJr with his truck also (HUGE MAYBE).

I am easy man, I am all for whatever.

And like I said straight through driving is good for me, whatever.

Dirk

CrawlerReady
01-24-2008, 03:12 AM
I usually start the grueling 3 hour drive sometime wednesday night after traffic dies down.

ahhhhhh, its nice to think that just by going from the 4.0 to the 5.2 I've shaved almost an hour off of my Moab commute. Life is grand.

ha sucks for you man....its probably 15min shorter of a drive for me! You planning on coming back Sunday? and are you staying at the RedRock as well?

Sandy R
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I should have said "most if not all..." :)

So Sandy - is the difference between most and all the people that rolled their shit and set it on fire? :rofl: Last year was my first year, and even the wife who's not so huge on wheeling had a blast!

Cody
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
ha sucks for you man....its probably 15min shorter of a drive for me! You planning on coming back Sunday? and are you staying at the RedRock as well?

I'll come home sometime sunday late afternoon. I always rent a condo. More bedrooms, full kitchen, more parking, less traffic, yard/BBQ etc. Just suits my tastes better and if you split it with someone it's cheaper ;)

newman187
01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Holy crap, rent a condo, I cant imagine how much thats costs per night. . . . that actually would be really nice for me as I have 2 kids, let me know how much $$$$$$$ it costs.

Cody
01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
the one I was in last year was 75 per night I think, and the ones I usually get that are bigger end up at like 105 after you add on a couple people.

I've rented houses before for about $100 per night too. You have to set that up pretty far in advance though.

CrawlerReady
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll come home sometime sunday late afternoon. I always rent a condo. More bedrooms, full kitchen, more parking, less traffic, yard/BBQ etc. Just suits my tastes better and if you split it with someone it's cheaper ;)

So...you're looking for someone to split costs...? ;)

Cody
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
It depends. The last half dozen years I've split the room with Kevin Fell, so unless he decides not to make it up this year or do his own thing, then I probably already have the accomodations set up.

Let me talk to ol' Kev about things. He may be brining a bunch of people so it may make sense to get two--in which case yes I would probably need someone to split costs and fix my jeep when I break it ;)

BigDaveZJ
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I would probably need someone to . . . fix my jeep when I break it ;)

Not it!!! :booya:

CrawlerReady
01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Not it!!! :booya:

AH DAMMIT! ;)

BigDaveZJ
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
The only time I fix Cody's rig is when I'm the one who broke it!

DansZJ
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
It depends. The last half dozen years I've split the room with Kevin Fell, so unless he decides not to make it up this year or do his own thing, then I probably already have the accomodations set up.

Let me talk to ol' Kev about things. He may be brining a bunch of people so it may make sense to get two--in which case yes I would probably need someone to split costs and fix my jeep when I break it ;)

That condo that Kevin had last year kicked butt. (Wasn't it originally your accommodation?)
It was really nice to have the kitchen, bbq, and fridge full of beer! I think we split it 4 ways so it was really cheap compared to the hotel and eating/drinking out. Plus we got to do work to our rigs in the parking lot without worrying about anyone telling us anything.

Cody
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
It was originally mine, but I switched because those dumb hatchet wounds wanted to come and I felt bad making you guys deal with them.

I'll call today or tomorrow and reserve 2 condo's. It wounds like you guys can fill one and I'll be able to fill the other.

DansZJ
01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll buy a case of that Polygamy Porter (http://www.wasatchbeers.com/polygporter.html).. Good times to be had.

newman187
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
There are a handful of Condo's there for rent, which is the preferred ones to stay at and or ones to avoid?

Cody
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I prefer the Cedar Breaks but I've stayed at the Purple Sage, Moab Guest house, and some other hippy one that had shag carpet and green lampshades compelte with tassles.

I just reserved at Cedar Breaks and their rates have gone about $30 bucks since last year. I guess the word is out. I used to pay 79.99 5-6 years ago for the same stuipd condo and now it's 125-150.

The purple sage was cheaper, but it only had 1 bedroom and 1 couch bed.

ROKN ZJ
01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
If Hal's qualified, I'm sure yours would.

Does my buggy still qualify? I was going to run it by people and see what the consensus was. I understand the slippery slope, and I don't want to step on any toes...

BigDaveZJ
01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't still qualify. Sandy? Tom?

ROKN ZJ
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't still qualify. Sandy? Tom?

I just know it was discussed last time before I brought it. I don't know if anyone regretted allowing it after the fact. I won't be put out if it's disallowed, hence why I'm running it by everyone again.

Cody
01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I think what the consensus was that since it was built originally to look like a WJ, and was titled as a "WJ Buggy" or something like that, it was accepted.

I don't remember anyone with a problem with it, and it stays with the spirit of the event. We haven't had the issue come up since.

...and you should come. that means you can bring me my extra wheel! Score!

Z
01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Sandy's requirement was that it had to have Grand Cherokee VIN.

Colorado 5.9
02-01-2008, 05:35 AM
If we let it in once then I can't see how we couldn't again.

Z
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
If we let it in once then I can't see how we couldn't again.
I don't have time to do a search, but I recollect that Hal's old buggy was registered as a Grand Cherokee and had a Grand Cherokee VIN. If the new buggy meets that criteria, then it's welcome.

I personally love the diversity of Grands that show up each year.

BigDaveZJ
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I thought he was talking about bringing the WJ buggy again since he found it?

Sandy R
02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't have time to do a search, but I recollect that Hal's old buggy was registered as a Grand Cherokee and had a Grand Cherokee VIN. If the new buggy meets that criteria, then it's welcome.

I personally love the diversity of Grands that show up each year.

AGREED! If it's registered as a "Grand" then it should be welcome.

Z
02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I thought he was talking about bringing the WJ buggy again since he found it?

Hal, if you want to bring your old buggy that was registered with the state as a Grand Cherokee, that's cool, no problem. I don't know if you completed the new buggy you started after the theft, but you can bring that as long as it's registered with the state as a Grand Cherokee.

nate
02-02-2008, 01:53 AM
If anyone is heading into Idaho, I have room for a few folks to spend the night if need be. It's about 600 miles from here to Moab. Takes me about 9hrs if I stop a couple times to stretch and to eat lunch.

Also I will have empty seats in the truck and Jeep as well.

Pack Creek is the place that is free to military. Dunno, just seems dumb to spend $65-100 on hotel when you can get a cabin for $45, or tent site for $20. I'm going to Moab to wheel, not watch TV, play on the computer, etc.

Don't need to eat out, cooking is 1/2 the fun of camping and wheeling. Steaks, burgers, dogs, etc.

You guys lead way too fancy lives for poor ol redneck me I think.

I will leave Sunday, so I guess just wheeling the 2 days. Otherwise I'd have to take alot of leave

Cody
02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
If anyone is heading into Idaho, I have room for a few folks to spend the night if need be. It's about 600 miles from here to Moab. Takes me about 9hrs if I stop a couple times to stretch and to eat lunch.

Also I will have empty seats in the truck and Jeep as well.

Pack Creek is the place that is free to military. Dunno, just seems dumb to spend $65-100 on hotel when you can get a cabin for $45, or tent site for $20. I'm going to Moab to wheel, not watch TV, play on the computer, etc.

Don't need to eat out, cooking is 1/2 the fun of camping and wheeling. Steaks, burgers, dogs, etc.

You guys lead way too fancy lives for poor ol redneck me I think.

I will leave Sunday, so I guess just wheeling the 2 days. Otherwise I'd have to take alot of leave

you know, I agree, other than 100* temps at 8 a.m. aren't that great for camping. I'll take my shower and cook my breakfast.

AprilzWarrior
02-02-2008, 12:57 PM
you know, I agree, other than 100* temps at 8 a.m. aren't that great for camping. I'll take my shower and cook my breakfast.

Ummmm yeah.... Im driving way to far to camp. F that.

K2
02-03-2008, 10:24 AM

I stayed there last year. I liked it but there were only three sites that had good shade. Where did you see it was free to military? My dad is going and is retired Navy.

EDIT. I just read it on the site.

Nakidgun
02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Newbie here on Mallcrawlin. Can I go? I don't know you guys, but would be very interested in tagging along, if you don't mind. I've only been up to Moab once, and that was last year in a rental car while the Jeep sat home. Jeep is in the shop now getting complete motor rebuild, and D30 HP front axle installed (after we get the engine done). It's quite a project, but I hope to have it done in a couple months. Would be an excellent 'shake down' trip. Just promise me I won't get any scratches! I hate scratches! (well, maybe a few).

http://www.keylessremotesforless.com/images/1998jeep.JPG

http://www.keylessremotesforless.com/images/1998jeep2.JPG

Sandy R
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Newbie here on Mallcrawlin. Can I go?

Nah, too purdy. J/K :welcome:

You gotta register though.

fpkites
02-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Eat shit, welcome to MallCrawlin, and get yer ass signed up!

:welcome:

AprilzWarrior
02-09-2008, 09:46 PM
1-2-3 NOT IT !

PassRunnerZJ
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Info and signup links here: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15054

You have to register and mail in your registration to be in the confirm status, so don't delay. Also, I would do a shake down run closer to home, then come have fun in Moab.

Nakidgun
02-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Eat shit, welcome to MallCrawlin, and get yer ass signed up!

:welcome:

Ok...I signed up. I hear you guys can be a little snobbish over here......I just can't IMAGINE that! Seem like a nice group of fellers to me!

I hope to have 1-2 thousand miles on the new motor before then, and some off road time to make sure nothing breaks. A 500 trip to Moab ought to break in the motor pretty well.

Sandy R
02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok...I signed up. I hear you guys can be a little snobbish over here......I just can't IMAGINE that! Seem like a nice group of fellers to me!

Snobbish we are not! Impatient, occasionally.

nate
02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I've been to Moab in April and in October, so not sure how it is in May.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the $$ I would do the condo or hotel thing, but the fuel is already making it an expensive trip.

Nakidgun
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I've been to Moab in April and in October, so not sure how it is in May.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the $$ I would do the condo or hotel thing, but the fuel is already making it an expensive trip.

Well, I live in Arizona, and I'm thinking it should be rather nice up there at that time...since it is probably about 10 or 15 degrees cooler than home and it should cool off at night also (something it doesn't do here). I suppose you Colorado and California guys will think it's hot or something.

AgitatedPancake
02-11-2008, 02:35 PM
yeah I'm from California I don't know anything but 75* and clear skies :booya:

Nakidgun
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
75! Have to get out the sweaters and mittens!

I would guess it to be about low to mid 90s during the day, maybe 70s at night? At that time of year in Phoenix, 90 degrees means we're having a cold wave! :rolleyes:

ArloGuthroJeep
02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Last year was 100's (103 was the lowest I think and 109 was the highest)...year before that was 80's.

nate
02-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I can deal with that. It gets up to 110-115* here in the summers anyhow.

fpkites
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Sometimes I love being in CO - it hits 100 in the city, I just head to the hills and it drops 10-15 degrees :rofl:

Ryan's right - hotter than shit in Moab last year. Not that he was affected though...damn dub with working AC :D

ArloGuthroJeep
02-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Hey the AC was struggling, I think it was upper 70's inside:D

Colorado 5.9
02-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Last year was not that bad compared to 02. Now that was hot!

BigDaveZJ
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Last year was getting pretty close to 02, but 02 was definitely the worst!

downtowncb
02-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Do any of you guys with 5.9s have problems overheating at this?

Matt
02-27-2008, 03:46 AM
I tent camped last year and it wasn't all that great. 90's at night and a sandy campsite makes the KOA teh suck.

But I'll probably be camping again this year.

Colorado 5.9
02-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Do any of you guys with 5.9s have problems overheating at this?

After 7 GSW's not so far. I've had a couple of problems in bewteen the last couple of GSW's do to rad poblems. I hope that's solved now with the new aluminum rad I have in now.

downtowncb
02-28-2008, 12:28 AM
After 7 GSW's not so far. I've had a couple of problems in bewteen the last couple of GSW's do to rad poblems. I hope that's solved now with the new aluminum rad I have in now.

Good to hear, thanks. If all goes well I will be acquiring one soon. Now I just have to convince a couple of friends that a 13 hour drive is worth it for one weekend.

Double D ZJ
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I am new here and just discovered about this, If I showed up would I get turned away?

Sandy R
05-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I am new here and just discovered about this, If I showed up would I get turned away?

Register now! Dave or Tom will advise you on whether to mail or bring your completed waiver----maybe do both.

Z
05-26-2008, 05:34 PM
We have room, so come on out. Register, print off the waiver and bring it with you - preferably for the Meet and Greet on Thursday evening.

Colorado 5.9
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
He'd have to bring it. No way to get it in the mail in time. There are only 46 grands confirmed now.

Already 10 canceled so there is no problem of him not getting in.