PDA

View Full Version : Auto front locker in the snow/ice?

corrupt143
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
So what do you guys think that have an automatic front locker? Keep it in and just drive a little more cautious because the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. Or go ahead and pull it and put in another set of spider gears till spring because its way more of a problem than its worth?

TIA.

BTW, I have the 242 TC.

corrupt143
11-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Im really surprised with how opinionated this board is that only 2 people have any thought on this.;)

IndyZJ
11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they don't salt everything around your area. I wouldn't think you'd want the front locker on an icy road when turning is enough of a problem on it's own... but I could be wrong as I've never driven anything with the front locked on ice.

corrupt143
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
What do you mean by "your area"? Are you saying I live in the sticks? Well :overkill:! LOL.

Yeah, salt is only at the stop signs and on the MAIN roads, definitely not like in Indy. Salt goes on food, NOT streets.

IndyZJ
11-29-2007, 01:23 AM
If by in the sticks you mean somewhere where you're lucky enough that you can wheel in your backyard, then yes:flipoff2:, lol. I wish they used less salt down here... then I could make more money pulling dumbasses in hondas and a certain donked out zj out of ditches:D

ajmorell
11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Are you suggesting you take it out/put it in each season? If that is the case, just leave it in..not worth the hassle IMHO.

corrupt143
11-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Yep, thats what I was asking. Remove it (locker) for winter and reinstall for spring, summer and fall.

DJJordache
11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I have no idea......... We don't get snow down here:D The only time I have seen real snow is vacationing up north like in Colorado etc.

ILikeMud
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Are you suggesting you take it out/put it in each season? If that is the case, just leave it in..not worth the hassle IMHO.

Hassle?!?!?
I'm not sure about you guys but I can take apart a D30, hubs, shafts, brakes and carrier in about 30 minutes. Have the locker out and the spider gears back in another 10 minutes and the install is the reverse of the removal.

Having had an Aussie Locked D30, do yourself a favor and pull it out for the winter. You don't want to be fighting the thing.

OverkillZJ
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Is 2wd an option on your tcase? If so keep it in, and pop it in two when you're not stuck. Otherwise, hell no, I've done it.

2jeepsforus
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't have a LSD in the front of my jeep... but I would personally leave it in

I live in PA where we do get a good amount of snow and I rarely kick my jeep in 4wd unless I am plowing a good 8 inches of snow. I also like to drive sideways to town too haha :D

Leave that shit in... after you put it in the ditch, you will have more traction to get out haha :smt038

corrupt143
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Is 2wd an option on your tcase? If so keep it in, and pop it in two when you're not stuck. Otherwise, hell no, I've done it.Yep, Ive got the 242. Guess I shouldve mentioned that.

corrupt143
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Hassle?!?!?
I'm not sure about you guys but I can take apart a D30, hubs, shafts, brakes and carrier in about 30 minutes. Have the locker out and the spider gears back in another 10 minutes and the install is the reverse of the removal.

Having had an Aussie Locked D30, do yourself a favor and pull it out for the winter. You don't want to be fighting the thing.Yeah, I can have it pulled apart and put back together in no time at all. Ive gotten quite good at replacing spider gears.

zj-monster
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Dude, now that you mention you have a 242, I'd leave it in.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.