PDA

View Full Version : painting parts

cooperzj
11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm hesitant to ask this but I thought I would anyhow.

When spray painting, has anyone here experimented by placing what you just painted into an oven? Does this harden the paint and help resist chipping?

I'm painting my dif cover and I know it doesn't matter cause it's gonna get trashed anyhow, but I am building a hp30 and have it all apart anyway. I am painting over my welds where I welded the tubes and decided to paint the dif cover too.

Just put on the first light coat after sanding and prepping the surface. Will putting it in the oven do anything other than make it hot?

Bring on the flames!

comanchefreak
11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
It depends on the paint. If the paint has a heat cure reccommendation in the instructions, like high quality auto paint or high temp resistant paint then it can be helpful. It doesnt really make it more impact resistant though, just cures faster or makes it more heat resistant. They usually reccomend only convection ovens, but sometimes electric will do. DO NOT USE A GAS OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the paint does not have it in the instructions, it will prob not help any and could mess it up.
If you really want chip resistance, use an epoxy type paint like POR 15

DJJordache
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
The only painted things I put in the oven are things that I put a high temp paint on my old custom muffler that needed to be heat activated.

with normal spray paint I think it might be a waste of time..... I painted my covers too with primer, paint, then clear coat =):bling: