PDA

View Full Version : How about planning for 2008?

indy242003
11-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Is it too early to start planning for 2008? We were kinda split into 3 groups last year and would like to get the ball rolling early. What would you guys like to do different?

Katesdad
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Not too early to talk about it anyway. I hope to be alittle better built by then. Probably only be there on sunday again cause of the new job.

IndyZJ
12-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm planning on making it for the whole weekend this time instead of just Saturday. My ZJ isn't stock anymore, so it should be a little bit more fun this time around.

Katesdad
12-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Started thinking about it and I think Ill head over saturday and stay for sunday. I hope to get alot of practice in before then.

Ds4x4
12-07-2007, 01:17 AM
any dates thought of yet? gopefuly someone plans it at the beginning of my 7 days so i can check out the midwest...

indy242003
12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I know that some of us don't have highly moded grands, and it makes it hard to run trails with a guy stock when it seems your waiting all the time. I personally don't mind to wait. Hell, mine was stock at one time. I just don't want to hold other people up outside of our group. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I don't want a seperation from hardcore and stock the whole time. Last year wasn't real bad. We had some different groups, but not too bad. I don't want anyone to feel out of place. I know it's mallcrawlin, newb's get flamed, but they did bring thier wreck to the trail head the same as we did. There is a ton of bypasses for the weak of heart or rig, so let's keep 'em together just spaced enough to let others by. Tell me what you think.

Katesdad
12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Sounds ok to me. I opted out of quite a few areas because of lack of skid plates.

IndyZJ
12-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Most of the bypasses are even pretty fun if you don't want to (or couldn't, in my case) go through some of the tougher sections. There are definitley trails there for every level of wheeler and plenty of areas to play around in. The only thing I regret from last year is not staying longer and not having any kind of lift... I got hung up on my trans crossmemer before I could even get on some of the trails I wanted to hit, LOL. Any opinion on dates for '08?

spykosshow
12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Hell, I'll probably actually make it this year. I made the drive all the way up to chicago a couple weeks ago and it really wasn't all that bad.

indy242003
12-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Wiley did the shirts for us last year and they turned out awesome!!! I would like for him to do them again this year. I'm assuming we still want to keep the Badlands in Attica as our park of choice right? I think last years event was in May. Do we want to keep the about the same time of year? A lot of the people from last years group that did most of the organazation have not chimmed in yet. They did a good job last year and their opinions are greatly appretiated. The prizes from supporters were great. I did not get involved in a lot of that last year, I had issues Saturday night with the rig and ended up fixing it all night and wheeling Sunday until like noon. I think I'm going to try to bring the RV next year.

10achik
12-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Never to early to get started, I emailed TIm a week or so ago about planning for this year. I think the 1st or 3rd weekend in May usually works for most people. That doesn't mean we can't move it around either, that's just when it's always been.

As for prizes, I kind of headed that up last year just to make it a little nicer, there were some descent prizes and Tim really came through with the Ultimate Air sponsor. Anyone that buys from a vendor regularly or has access to some things that would be good, feel free to ask away for things. Probably would be better to have a firm date first though.

This should be the 4th year for this run, and it's still in it's infant stages, last years turned out really nice and I think it went pretty well, but to be honest I'm not really a planner and we don't have a real game plan as far as what trails to run. Every year we seem to have different people that volunteer to lead various trails they are familiar with. Most all seem to have bypasses and from what I remember everyone still had fun and most pushed their rig's capibility, which is always a good thing.

Hopefully soon we should be able to firm up some dates and plan some things out a little better.

fr3db3ar
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Started thinking about it and I think Ill head over saturday and stay for sunday. I hope to get alot of practice in before then.

This guy sounds like he's making routes for the get together :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::smt077:smt077

ajmorell
12-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I would prefer the first weekend in May , as it is before I start work for the summer, but I WILL make it either weekend. I will probably wheel Sunday as well as Saturday this year too.

OverkillZJ
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Assuming you guys don't mind me bringing the Samurai since my new buggy won't be ready by then, I'll be there...

ajmorell
12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I suppose we could allow you to be an honorary member....

.....you're just not allowed to show any of the GCs up with the sami :D.

OverkillZJ
12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I make no promises, it does levitate over obsticles rather well :D

ajmorell
12-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I make no promises, it does levitate over obsticles rather well :D

...at least when you get stuck you can just get out and push it over the obstacle..:finga:

OverkillZJ
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
You joke about it, but it's the truth! I wanted something that was completely different from the kind of wheelin' I was used to.. Boy did I get it, haha. Sorry for the hijack, carry on, carry on.

EMTimZJ
12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Matt, you are always welcome, I don't care if you wheel the corolla (assuming it still exists!)

Early May we have had good luck with so far, let's start planning for the first or second weekend in May. Either 2-3-4 (Fri through Sun) or 9-10-11 (Fri through Sun) would be good candidates.

Look ahead at your calendars, contact some sponsors, get your junk in a wheel-able condition! <-- big one for me:smt117

Merry Christmas!

-Tim

10achik
12-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Agreed, Tim your heep is mandatory this year, it missed the last two. :-D

OverkillZJ
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Matt, you are always welcome, I don't care if you wheel the corolla (assuming it still exists!)

At GSE / bigdogs this year, I really did wheel the Suburban when the buggy broke. It only took a couple of beers :D

I've never heard the turbo spin up on that diesel so fast as when I got it wedged 90 degrees against the trail with a big rock under the A-Arm, and the hitch into a tree behind me. Oh yeah, it's 2wd...

Dates look good to me, I'm a definited assuming I don't have both rigs broken at the same time (again.) I had a blast last year, I enjoy the organized but "loose" events very much.

ajmorell
12-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Agreed, Tim your heep is mandatory this year, it missed the last two. :-D

x2. Tim you've had more than enough time to get that thing ready.

I'm hoping myself to either be on 33s by then or have my 8.8/hp under there. Looks like it could be neither though since funds are a problem with no job right now.

Katesdad
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I thought I was the guy that went last and passed out the beer?

corrupt143
12-12-2007, 08:53 PM
I got some beer from you but not before you dropped one and it exploded all over you right before your trip home. LOL!

THANKS FOR THE BREW!

Katesdad
12-12-2007, 09:39 PM
LOL, your welcome! It was a good time!

10achik
12-13-2007, 05:45 AM
As far as camping, I'm sure we will be bringing the "Base camp" again this year. I know one of my other friends will be riding along this year.

I think Mark is planning to lift his and have it ready before the run this year. I think he will be in Clarksville, TN by then though. I told him that was no excuse since the second year we did this, I drove all the way down there from STL to pick up my dad and then drove to the badlands.

I'm assuming most will be camping again this year? I thought that was a pretty good time. This time we will have to figure out if we are in central or eastern time BEFORE we get there so I don't wake up 3 minutes before line-up and have to disco, air down and pinch a loaf. It was a photo finish to the office :smt044

ajmorell
12-13-2007, 12:55 PM
:shake: Yeah definitely I plan on camping. I'm assuming Sandy will come with me again as well. I'm sure they probably have the bathrooms and shower house done by now.

indy242003
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
The Good 'ol days!!!

OverkillZJ
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
LOL

I can't wait for next year, even though I'll be in a Sammy... I'll have a ZJ based buggy again for 2009, don't worry :D

spykosshow
12-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm actually wearing my shirt from last year today, haha.

I'll make elliot come with me, but the second weekend in may would work better. That first week is when finals are usually.

IndyZJ
12-17-2007, 12:31 AM
second weekend of may would be awesome... finals are the first and second week of may...

OverkillZJ
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
second weekend may be better for me too now that I think about it.

10achik
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I just checked the calendar and I am scheduled to work that weekend (36 hours), no worries I'll just take off. :smt045

They wouldn't want me here anyway, they know I would be thinking about wheeling and wouldn't get anything done.

ras2001wj
12-22-2007, 02:19 AM
Well, if I still have any credibility after blowing off last year, I should be in.

Ds4x4
12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, if I still have any credibility after blowing off last year, I should be in.

I hope to be moved in to the new house by Jan.. so by May we should have everything going good and the new lift/gears/locker all in for the trip.. Ohh did i mention my bumper put back on....

BlaineWasHere
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM
ummmmm.... I'll be there... but in a "shotgun" position. I can't wait to camp and hang out with you guys!

Hopefully Tim gets his Jeep running and I can be his spotter!

BlaineWasHere
12-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh, I'll bring my Digital SLR too so everyone can have new desktops for the summer!

ajmorell
12-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Worse comes to worse Blaine, you are welcome to ride down with me (as is Tim).

markr
12-31-2007, 01:13 AM
WELL AS Ken said I have a lift sittin on the living room floor in an almost empty St Louis house, damm real estate market,
A 3" Iron Rock not eactly what I wanted but as life moves on I now own 2 horses in Tennessee my father in law decided I needed.
I do plan on attending this year again. With My own Jeep.

P.S. I think Tim needs to get his moving!!!!!!!

corrupt143
12-31-2007, 02:22 AM
Which ever weekend is fine with me, Im there.

Ds4x4
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm going to assume that the 9th, 10th and 11th seem to be the favorite choice by now..

how about getting a poll going so we can get a more definite date?

bgcntry72
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Greetings.
After wheeling XJs and YJs for years, I am picking up Z's Grand this weekend.
My last project, a Land Cruiser, rolled...a few times, and I was looking to build another Jeep. After I saw Tom's build, I knew it would suit me and save me some $$$ on buying a stocker and tossing a Clayton kit and better axles in it.
I live in Milwaukee, and have been wheeling Badlands for 10+ years in everything from stockers to buggies on 60s, and would be glad to lend a hand any way I can.
Hasta,
Scott

OverkillZJ
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Apparently I'll have wheeled with Z's rig in Moab, and now the Badlands if you come, haha.

bgcntry72
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Apparently I'll have wheeled with Z's rig in Moab, and now the Badlands if you come, haha.

I have a feeling you will wheel with it quite a bit more now.
I wheel all over the Eastern US.
Harlan, Tellico, Uwharrie, Gilbert, Paragon (RIP), Flat Nasty, Hot
Springs, etc.
Stay tuned.
:smt109

EMTimZJ
01-08-2008, 11:04 PM
It would be great to have you along!

-Tim

bgcntry72
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
It would be great to have you along!

-Tim

Let's see how you feel after you have met/wheeled with me.

:smt106