PDA

View Full Version : GSW 2008 Dates

Z
11-06-2007, 02:38 PM
GSW 2007 was VERY hot, so the planners were thinking of having GSW 2008 a little earlier in the year. Please vote for your preferred dates.

Ted_Z
11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Why not even earlier? Late April/Early May?

Z
11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Why not even earlier? Late April/Early May?

A lot of people are either students themselves or have children that are in school. Late April/Early May would mean some of those people couldn't attend.

Cue-Ball
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Not that I have ever made it out to one, but I vote for the earlier date.

The middle of June last year conflicted with a WERock event.

If all goes as planned I will be locked, loaded and lifted by the end of this year so there is a good chance I could make it out in 2008.

Ted_Z
11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
A lot of people are either students themselves or have children that are in school. Late April/Early May would mean some of those people couldn't attend.

When is most people's spring break? April?

jfowlzj95
11-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Our Spring Break is in March and finals for us is the first week in May.

Those earlier dates are good, I might actually be able to make it this year. :D

BigDaveZJ
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Spring Break = EJS

jsteves
11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Plus spring break dates are all over the board from March - April

DJJordache
11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Our Spring Break is in March and finals for us is the first week in May.

Those earlier dates are good, I might actually be able to make it this year. :D
if you go then maybe I'll bum a ride and help with $$:D (depending on when it is)

Ted_Z
11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I'll give up my quest for an April GSW now...

I vote 5/30 -> 6/1

jfowlzj95
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
if you go then maybe I'll bum a ride and help with $$:D (depending on when it is)

Oh... actually I was thinking we take yours and wheel it on something other than mall curbs. :finga:

Haha kidding. :D But that sounds like it could be a plan, Rico wants to go too.

Cody
11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Spring Break = EJS

depends on the school.

Usually Spring showers make the trails pretty mucky and it can be cold. The desert is crazy like that.

FWIW, I don't care either way. A hot spell on the early week can make up that 5* average by about 11 a.m.

It'll be hot....either way. Suck it up. ;)

fpkites
11-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Wife was saying 13-15 might be easier on us travel-wise since we hit up McConaughy (Nebrasky) on Memorial day weekend, which is the week before the May 30th weekend, so I'm leaning toward 13-15 (that's Father's Day, just like last year). I'm holding back my vote a little bit to see what others say though. I'm hoping to get there a day early and leave a day later, so more vacation time for me, I guess...no matter what dates we choose.

jsteves
11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
, so I'm leaning toward 13-15 (that's Father's Day, just like last year). I'm holding back my vote a little bit to see what others say though. I'm hoping to get there a day early and leave a day later, so more vacation time for me, I guess...no matter what dates we choose.

Thats like saying I was not going to vote for George Bush, but since the majority is I guess I will.

fpkites
11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, pretty much :rofl:

dads5.9
11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Because so many schools are still in session or having graduation from May 30-June 1 it will definately hurt the number of people who can attend. I would prefer the later date to accomodate the largest number of people.

PassRunnerZJ
11-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Doesn't really matter to me, but I figured that I would vote anyway.

ArloGuthroJeep
11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
It may have been hot last year, but my AC was working just fine all weekend long:flipoff2: Still voted earlier though.

nate
11-14-2007, 06:58 PM
I went down this year in October and it was really nice. The hotest day was like 78-80*

I would choose a long weekend vs just some random week. For the guys that work, it's sometimes not easy to get time off on the week or they would rather use that time during the holidays.

fpkites
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Dunno about you, but I'd rather use time off for GSW :D :rofl:

Z
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I went down this year in October and it was really nice. The hotest day was like 78-80*

I would choose a long weekend vs just some random week. For the guys that work, it's sometimes not easy to get time off on the week or they would rather use that time during the holidays.

Columbus Day is not a holiday for most people. (Most people don't work for a bank or the g'ment.)

If we set a date on a major holiday (that most people would get), Moab would be packed. (Unless it was Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years).

Hmmmm, GSW - Thanksgiving. Hmmmmm...

We try to set a date that will allow students to attend, that pretty much means end of May to end of August.

nate
11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Nah, it won't be packed. It's not bad for EJS, can't see it being worse.

PassRunnerZJ
11-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanksgiving weekend was busy last year when we were there from Friday to Sunday. I was supprised, it wasn't like EJS, but my brother had a hard time finding a hotel room the week before. I think it is a stealth long weekend to go. Maybe last year was an anomally, but I don't think it would fly well, especially for those traveling long distances.

Also, having it in the fall bumps GSSW time. Keep it in June, some weekend and make sure the AC works. Mine was marginal at best this year, but it was still tolerable. Sometimes it is just nice to be hot, and if it rains, the trails dry up pretty fast vs. the spring or winter months if it snows.

We did Moab Rim last year in Feb or March and froze our butts off on the slickrock side as it was in the shade for most of the morning going up and afternoon coming down. Also, it is nice to have a lot of daylight for the longer trails, such as Golden Spike.

nate
11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah I hear you. I was just trying to figure a way to go this year, and I don't think June will work. I have plans to go back up to Alaska for a few weeks, so I don't think I'll have a spare $500-600 for fuel/camping/food, etc to be in Moab for a weekend.

I have been wanting to wheel with other ZJs for a while now too. How hot does it get in late June? I'm used to seeing 110-115* here and it pretty much sucks.

fpkites
11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Colorado (Denver, at least) is right around 350 miles, so significantly less mileage than you're looking at. Last year, with hotel, rental car for the wife and kid, gas and food (and a few parts here and there :D), I dropped about $900...that included a trip to the Glenwood Springs pool for the kid on the way home though, that ate up about $50.

PassRunnerZJ
11-14-2007, 11:29 PM
GJ is about 90 miles or an hour-and-a-half from Moab:D OK I give, how did you do the pool at Glenwood with three people for ~$50. I think last time three of us went it was closer to $70.

Anyway back to the subject. Yes it got to be expensive... now the room costs seem minor. But still, it is legal fun and the joy people get wheeling in Moab is priceless, to coin a phrase.

fpkites
11-14-2007, 11:41 PM
You're probably right - I'm sure I'm blocking out the horrendous expense of taking a family to Glenwood :rofl:

Might have been closer to $70 - Tricia will be 4 in January, so don't know if 3 and under are cheaper.

I'll be honest though, I thought about pulling the popup camper out there, but I sure liked having a hot shower when I got off the trail, and a comfy solid bed at night. Can't think of any better people to wheel with either.

froggo27
11-17-2007, 08:36 PM
i voted May, out of school and i can just make a family trip of it.

K2
11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I decided to tie the score at 14. I am out of school, and if were a little cooler that would be more enjoyable for me. I am going either way, so I might as well be selfish and pick the "cooler" dates. Plus people might be able to take off 4 days from work, and get a longer vacation out of it. I might do that. More time to fix my stuff before I leave.

dwcustoms
11-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I have a family reunion on May 24&25 and am the best man at a wedding on May 31 so I am hoping for the June dates. I missed last year due to recovering from a nasty crotch rocket accident and the year before that my jeep tranny took a s--t.:rant:

nate
11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Considering that $900 is damn near 1/2 a months pay, no thanks!
It costs me about $400 in fuel, then food is maybe $50-75 and camping is like $20 a night.
Hotels are fine and dandy, but camping is 1/2 the fun of wheeling. Plus I go to Moab to forget about the real world. I don't need a TV, interweb, phone, etc.

I'd love to go this year, but I am 95% sure that I won't be able to afford it since I AM going back to Alaska come hell or high water.

Colorado (Denver, at least) is right around 350 miles, so significantly less mileage than you're looking at. Last year, with hotel, rental car for the wife and kid, gas and food (and a few parts here and there :D), I dropped about $900...that included a trip to the Glenwood Springs pool for the kid on the way home though, that ate up about $50.

fpkites
11-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Precisely why I save for this trip throughout the year. There's something to be said about having a nice cool bed and a hot shower after a day of wheeling. Personally, I'm good with both weekends. Wife wasn't too keen on the May date since it's close to Memorial Day, but I couldn't care less about traveling 2 weekends in a row :D