PDA

View Full Version : hydro assist ?'s

MUDDTRACKS
11-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Well I managed to sheer off the three bolts to the steering gear and wreck my kevins offroad steering brace. So time to upgrade and add assist.

I' thinking about the j-10 box but someone said i should use a s-10 box Im new to this feild and would like some insight.

Is there a rather cheap ram that would work.

And also would you recomend doing this--->http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

thinking outside the box so dont shot me what about maybe a quick disconect for hydro assist maybe a valve you could turn of and a easy way to disconect it from the stearing itself. Right now i have no bump steer and rides str8 as could be on 37 bias iroks on the street. I can take a corner at any speed and the wheel centers right back when you let go.

adam99wj
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
i did that mod to my jeep PS pump with no ill effects , makes steering real easy now on 35"s

paulkeith
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
don't wanna be that guy, but go search "hydro assist" on pirate...there is a wealth of information over there.

from what i've seen, surplus center is where its at for an assist ram. i've bumped up the flow/pressure on my chevy pump with the above method with no problem. turned 36s standing still at idle like butter, but it was on a POS axle and i've yet to have it offroad.

MUDDTRACKS
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
i have searched and searched and read alot about it but was hoping to hear from some the guys here.

Normaly i dont look to the web to get shit done but this one im kind of in the blue.

trying not to waste a shit load of cash on something just to find out it dont work.

paulkeith
11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
if you're asking where to get a ram, which box to use, and what to do to your power steering pump, those are pretty basic questions as far as hyrdo assist is concerned. the amount of information already out there will get you 99.99% of the way there, you just have to know where to find it. pirate is one of those places.

Why do you even want a shutoff valve in the lines? Keep it simple. I've never heard any complaints about the onroad manners of assist.

MUDDTRACKS
11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
anyone one else want to add something.

dude i have read alot of shit on it but im looking to hear from the guys running hydroassist and what works for them and if they would do things different

I know i can search been there done that There are 100's of articltes and everyone has something diferent to say. Kind of like the asshat that thinks he got lift from a set of shocks.:smt075

Im looking for input on the subject not a go search thanks tho

OverkillZJ
11-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Everyone has something different today because a lot of hydro assist is a matter of opinion.

Kraqa
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Well I managed to sheer off the three bolts to the steering gear and wreck my kevins offroad steering brace. So time to upgrade and add assist.

I' thinking about the j-10 box but someone said i should use a s-10 box Im new to this feild and would like some insight.

Is there a rather cheap ram that would work.

And also would you recomend doing this--->http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

thinking outside the box so dont shot me what about maybe a quick disconect for hydro assist maybe a valve you could turn of and a easy way to disconect it from the stearing itself. Right now i have no bump steer and rides str8 as could be on 37 bias iroks on the street. I can take a corner at any speed and the wheel centers right back when you let go.

i have a complete set-up for 200.00 CDN. 1.75 x 8" Ram. Lines, J20 (4 bolt) Box tapped.

just took it off the jeep when i cut it apart.

zj95maxx
11-08-2007, 10:19 PM
i have a complete set-up for 200.00 CDN. 1.75 x 8" Ram. Lines, J20 (4 bolt) Box tapped.

just took it off the jeep when i cut it apart.

selling?

Kraqa
11-08-2007, 11:33 PM
yes!!!

zj95maxx
11-09-2007, 07:46 AM
PMed ya

zj95maxx
11-09-2007, 04:13 PM
sold:D