PDA

View Full Version : upgrading the fun factor of the tow rig

BigDaveZJ
10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I've got a good head unit setup going in the truck now, with integrated iPod controls and sat radio all controlled by the deck. Kicks ass. Only problem is the factory speakers kinda suck. They're okay for mids and highs, but obviously no bass. So my current plan is to wedge two 10's behind the rear seat. I've always loved JL's, and Car Toys has the 10W0's for $80 a piece right now, freaking sweet. I still wanna check out the W1's and some of the other subs, but I used to have 2 12W0's in the ZJ and it hit WAY more than I need it to now that I'm getting old.

Fosgate used to make an amp that was damn near perfect for running two JL W0's, but they don't make it anymore. It was the old trapezoid design Punch series, I really dug that setup. Anywho, RF has the P-300-1 amp out now: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=6&family_id=19&item_id=108231&locale=en_US&p_status=

It looks like it would suit 2 10's pretty well and not cost an arm and a leg. I'm looking for 250ish watts RMS x1 @ a 2ohm load.

Anybody have any good recommendations on an amp, or other subs to check out?

fpkites
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Dave, look at the Rockford Fosgate box in this pic - truck boxes that were originally bought for the wife's old S-10 that lived in the Heep until I went to a 32" spare.

6-ish inches thick at the base, meant to be put behind the seat in a single cab pickup.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/helpimages/HatchOpen.jpg

I want to say they're 9" subs, but not sure. Been a while since I put them in. I know exactly shit about amps, and ran the 2 subs with a POS California (or some brand like that) amp.

BigDaveZJ
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Looks like I've got a line on a 300w JBL dedicated sub amp, sweet. Now I just need to decide if the 10W0 is what I want and then design and build the box.

Cody
10-30-2007, 05:55 PM
the only problem with those fosgate amps is that they are made by fosgate.

BigDaveZJ
10-30-2007, 05:56 PM
the only problem with those fosgate amps is that they are made by fosgate.

And Fosgate doesn't make them anymore so I'm shit out of luck there anyways!

Cody
10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
it's probably a good thing. fosgate uses shitty parts.

BigDaveZJ
10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
The amp I had held up fine as long as you didn't push it, which I liked to do. I remember I smoked two of them with the same song, but it held up for a few years until it got stolen out of a buddy's ZJ.

RollinBallsDeep
10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Ive been running two 10" JL W6's V2's with the MTX TA7801. Smokin set up, but a little much. You think about maybe one 10" W3?

Cody
10-31-2007, 02:20 AM
amp is way more important than the sub. you can make a simple sub sound good with a good amp, and bitchen subs sound like shit with a shitty amp.

Hurricane 4x4
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
I like the alpine type R stuff

I had 2 JL 12" w3's with a 1200w sony xplod amp, in a sealed box. I switched to a single alpine type R 12" ($130 shipped from etronics.com IIRC) and it sounds just as good or better. Not quite as much punch as the 2 woofers but just as loud, and good response.

I'm happy with the sony amp too. xplod stuff dosen't have the best reputation for sound but honestly I can't find any flaws with it. It was somewhat inexpensive and i've had it for 4 years and its proven to be damn near bulletproof. I've abused it in many ways including shorting the speaker wires for long periods of time (dont ask), repeatedly beating it with cargo because it is mounted in a vulnerable spot, and it keeps on truckin.

jsteves
10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Come on. You don't really need this stuff. I always think about upgrading my stereo, then I find a way to spend it on Jeep stuff for one of the two of 'em....Besides, my CD player works sometimes.

Hurricane 4x4
10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
amp is way more important than the sub. you can make a simple sub sound good with a good amp, and bitchen subs sound like shit with a shitty amp.

I kinda disagree. I think it is the other way around. Reason being I used to have one of those 800 watt "pyramid" amps. It was about $75 back in the day. I used it with 2 10" pioneer subs and I was extremely impressed with it for how much it cost. Before I got the pioneers I had 2 10"... cerwin vega? i think subs which came with the amp in a package and it sounded like complete shit. After the sub upgrade to pioneers it sounded pretty comparable to some of my friends more expensive amps.

Skyline
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Have you considered the JL 300/2? I use one in my DD to run a JL w8 wedge, and it's great. It can run a pair of subs, or be run bridged.

One issue with JL is that their prices are highly inflated, and they try to force their dealers to sell at or close to list; along with barring internet sales. There are plenty of new JL amps on eBay, at much, much less than list. You are taking a bit of a risk, because you will not have a JL warrantee from anything you buy on the internet, but then again, given how good JL stuff is, this is not much of a concern....it just doesn't break. I believe most of these on line dealers remove the serial numbers so it can't be traced to the legitimate JL dealer who let it go out the back door. So check eBay feedback carefully before you bid. I bought 2 JL amps like this, and they have been awesome.

BigDaveZJ
10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
The JBL amp is being donated/traded to me in exchange for helping out a buddy with some stuff, so you can't beat free.

Also, said buddy has connections at a JL dealer so I'm not too concerned about inflated margins. Especially considering the speakers I'm looking at are $80-$120 apiece. An extra 15% margin isn't gonna be that much.

Mtn WJ
11-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Dave

When I borrowed your truck you has so many gadgets on your stereo I had to have my 15 year old son figure out how to get 103.5 the fox on it for me. And I am an AV guy.

Have fun with the Sub box so when I borrow your truck again I can play AC DC a bit louder.

Here is something you can add to the sub which would be kind of fun. I am putting these in some test labs for a a big software company that also maXes a box that plays video games. You could put this on your truck seat and have it give you a chubby from the vibrations as you drive down the street.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/