PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help? Pleeeeease??

fuzzyheartbear
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm currently trying to make a rollarcage for a Jeep, but I need the dimentions for the base. Can anyone help me get started? Do you need custome measurements?

OverkillZJ
10-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Measuring tape...

JordanA
10-29-2007, 12:41 PM
x2... don't be lazy.

canadian_driver
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
5x14

DJJordache
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
5x14no no no it's 5.125x14.259'er and we all make ours out of schedule 40 PVC;) its the new hawtness!

canadian_driver
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
nah its deffinatly ABS. PVC will kink when using a pipe bender

DJJordache
10-29-2007, 02:06 PM
ok then I will redo mine and try the ABS... I switched to CPVC halfway through my cage, I mean it will look super hardcore when I paint it all black and if the ABS is already black then I can save some spray paint!

OverkillZJ
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm going to rebuild the buggy out of duct tape and PVC, I figure it'll solve my weight distribution problem a little!

canadian_driver
10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
have you thought about wood? in thoes deep water crossings your jeep will float, think aboot it

fpkites
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Balsa floats real good

canadian_driver
10-29-2007, 02:56 PM
gopher wood.. since your buggy is already 20 cubics wide and 300cubics long

fsjtrash
10-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I was thinking styrofoam. Styrofoam cage. Styrofoam rims. Custom Styrofoam D60's. Stock Styrofoam front bumper. Styrofoam.

Cody
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
you want to build a cage, but you're not even able to take your own measurements?

What could go wrong?

BLACKZJ
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Well,ya grab it by the base,.........................................in my best Dr. Ruth voice:eek:

cashflowdub
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
i met her once and drove her to canada she stayed at the resort in my town no lie

DerekL
10-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Why not use beer cans? a little duct tape a little dental floss to hold them together while you tape, just make sure you use the same kinds, don't mix coors and bud cans they aren't the same size. plus you can drink beer for a good reason, saftey.

fuzzyheartbear
10-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Bah, it isn't being lazy, my teacher just told me to do it and I don't know how to start. I don't know how to measure it out. What I want to know is do I measure how much space the engine and seat and stuff will take up and just put up a bunch of pipes in that space or do I need a design that takes into account wieght distribution and how much pressure it takes?

canadian_driver
10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
uh oh he siad pipe, bring on the pipe vs. tube debate

jfowlzj95
10-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Now where is that thread...:shake:

KDUB
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I think maybe you should drop back ten and punt. You say your teacher wants you to do it. Are you a mechanical engineering student? If you are then do us all a favor and SWITCH MAJORS NOW!! I think you would be better off in philosophy or psychology.

FlatlandHillbilly
10-30-2007, 07:09 PM
did the teacher also mention turn signal fluid, left handed lug wrench, kaneuter valve or the fixerfixer bracket? you need that stuff to put the pipes by your seats and stuff. If he didn't mention the above items, then he probably didn't tell you that you need to get all of the summer air out of your tires and replace it with winter air. It is getting cooler you know

this site has all the info you need: http://www.kalecoauto.com btw, they sell the seasonal tire air as well as blinker fluid, sort of a one stop shop type of deal

BigDaveZJ
10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Bah, it isn't being lazy, my teacher just told me to do it and I don't know how to start. I don't know how to measure it out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_18221_measuring-tape.html

I seriously didn't think there was a need for an instruction book for a tape measure, but apparently there is.

canadian_driver
10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Bah, it isn't being lazy, my teacher just told me to do it and I don't know how to start. I don't know how to measure it out. What I want to know is do I measure how much space the engine and seat and stuff will take up and just put up a bunch of pipes in that space or do I need a design that takes into account wieght distribution and how much pressure it takes?

chicken soup?

canadian_driver
10-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Introduction

A tape measure (http://www.ehow.com/how_18221_measuring-tape.html#) is much handier than a ruler. It can be bought in lengths from 6 to 120 feet and some are even electronic.

Instructions

Difficulty: Easy
Steps

Step One

Pull the tape straight out of its case with one hand.

Step Two

Note the markings on the tape. Each mark indicates a 1/16-inch increment. There is usually an arrow indicator at 16-inch increments to show the typical distance between wall studs. The diamonds are for marking joists (http://www.ehow.com/how_18221_measuring-tape.html#) and studs at points one-fifth of 8 feet.

Step Three

Look at the back of the tape. Some manufacturers include lumber tables or other useful information.

Step Four

Line up the 1-inch mark with one end of the object being measured. Sometimes the metal hook becomes loose and can cause your measurement to be off by up to 1/16 of an inch. Be sure to deduct 1 inch from the measurement.

Step Five

Slide the thumb lock down to hold the tape in place. Not all tapes have this feature and newer ones have an automatic lock with a hold release instead.

that shits funny

OverkillZJ
10-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Wait, you're an engineering student (all i can figure if it's an assignment) - and you can't figure this out in about 10 minutes? Are you serious?

Oh, and if the teacher said Pipe, send him to Pirate4x4 for the debate.

fuzzyheartbear
10-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Thank you oh great ones, we are not engineering majors we’re actually high school student we come seeking a little bit of knowledge and we get bashed THANKS!!! So now that you know we don’t revolve around cars could we have some simpleton advice?

OverkillZJ
10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
If you in highschool, you know how to use measuring tape.

Seriously. This isn't rocket science. It should take you a couple minutes.

jsteves
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
ahhh, give the kids a break.

Best advice: Do some research. You are not very likely to find the answers you need by asking for measurments in an online forum. You need to do some reading about building the cage as there are many, many things to consider as you move forward with it. Once you know what you are doing and what direction you are moving the measurments will be the easy part.

Cody
10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
there is way more to a cage than just putting in some pipe. It has to be structural, it has to securely mount to the vehicle so it doesnt' seperate in a hard rollover, etc etc.

There are no basic measurements. Every cage is it's own monster. Start drawing it out, make sure you run your designs by someone that knows enough about physics and cage design that you know it's not just a waste of time and it would save you.

I've been doing this a long time and I wouldn't try and build my own cage. My life is worth spending a little more to have someone with know-how building those kinds of things.

But, to help with your original question, if you take a picture of the tape measure in position I'm sure one of us can tell you which mark to use

canadian_driver
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
wow Cody being helpful

charity case?

violatedppl
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
dave thiers no pictures with todays modern schooling you have to use pictures, we cant all be as smart as you and just now how to do it.

fuzzyheartbear
11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Thank you very much for your advice it is greatly appreciated!

zjguy721
11-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Pipe is something you smoke out of

Tube is something you build with

And, besides all the flamation, I think it is pretty kick ass that a high school assignment is building a cage! I never had homework like that when I was in school.