PDA

View Full Version : GSSW - Leaving it better than we found it!

DansZJ
10-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Saturday morning was a beautiful in Sedona. We had some nice rigs, and great people along for a day of trails. We started out with Cliffhanger and finished the day with House Mountain.

Everyone picked up trash along the trail, a bottle here, bottle there, cans, etc. just like any other ride. We were really surprised by what we found when we got to the end of the Cliffhanger.

We parked and found beer cans, fast food trash, bullet casings, shotgun shells, a large pot, and all kinds of trash left behind by the last visitors! It was an eyesore, and it couldn't be ignored.
The best part of this cleanup, as Eric said at the banquet, was that no one had to ask anyone to chip in. EVERYONE just grabbed a bag and started cleaning up. We were there for a while as the trash was strewn all over.

As we were heading out, someone mentioned they had seen a bunch of trash left behind at the top of the Cliffhanger obstacle. The group stopped and picked up even more debris there.

As one of the GSSW planners and as a trail leader, I wanted to thank every single person on the ride for pitching in. Especially when this was not an organized clean up. It was a great group effort! :smt038

Here's a snapshot of the trash that the group collected on Cliffhanger.

fsjtrash
10-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Wow, that's good to see. I get so tired of that around here. Liquor bottles, broken up pallets, you name it, its on our trails. Right down to people dumping animal carcasses on the trail.

Colorado 5.9
10-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Glad to see the card got there quick Dan.

I wish I had taken a few shots of everyone picking up the trash & of that area.

DansZJ
10-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Yup, got here real quick! Thanks for the Priority mail service, Scott.

If anyone else happened to capture photos before or during the cleanup, please post them, or PM me so I can post for you.

bshows73
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Dan, I love the new Sig. Hook me up Yo!

zj-monster
10-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I wish I had taken a few shots of everyone picking up the trash & of that area.

I think this is a great idea for any offroad organization/event participants to do. Even if its just a few photos. This shows actual proof that there are those of us who take care of the trails for us to wheel at next time & taking care of the environment.

Linking back to photos like the one above would be justice for all the lamers out there who claim we do nothing to clean up after ourselves.

jsteves
10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Part of the off road world we don't always get to see...very nice!

corrupt143
10-26-2007, 11:29 PM
I just want to say " Thanks" to all those that help keep the trails clean (and open). Good job!

rickbeer
10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Just wanted to share an experence that I had last Thursday
Was pulled over on the SR-51 by DPS officer claims I was speeding & had a unsafe lane change (no signal) . he walks up to my door asked me a few routine questions then he asked me to exit my Jeep He proceeded to ask me if I was drinking I said no why thinking this was another routine question he mentioned that he seen sevral beer cans on the rear floor of my Jeep...So I told the officer that I picked those up off the trails in Sedona last weekend & never had a chance to remove them.. he looked a little puzzled not expecting that answer.. he proseeded to grab one out of my jeep and turned it upside down & some sand poured out of the one can....
He went on and lectured me about the unsafe lane change then thanked me & our JEEP clubs for picking up trash on the trails then he replied have a nice day.... I wanted to ask some more questions but thought I better not for traffic was backing up & almost witness a rear end collision