PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic drive line???

nateman54
10-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey guys I was sitting around thinking about different ways to do different shit. I have a polaris atv that is reaching the limit of its axles. So I started to think of ways to transmitt power, and remebered that I saw a MR2 that was powered by a turbine on the web. He used a hydraulic motor and pump to transmit power to the transmission. He seemed to do it with some success. I was wandering if any of you has any experience with hydraulics. Would this be useable on a full size rig? Could you forget the transmission and go straight hydraulic to the axles? I do not know if I could get around to even trying it, but I still would like to hear your thoughts.

And what about heat build up?

And power loss?

BigDaveZJ
10-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Why do you need to make everything way more complicated than it needs to be??

nateman54
10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I am not trying to be difficult, just thinking.

Still would like to hear any info.

Why do you need to make everything way more complicated than it needs to be??

I have realized that I was wrong on IFS/IRS my ZJ. I still hurt on the inside for being beat down so bad.
I was just wondering if this is even possible on a purpose built buggy or in a application over 30 MPH or on anything that isn't heavy equipment.
Please don't stop me from posting Dave.

redline61
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Hydraulics = weight, Lots of weight. I would imagine in a setup like this you would have to have a massive tank for all that fluid. I think that your best bet on info for this would be the local tractor shop. Look around at everything that has hydraulics for more than PS or fluid cooling fans. Everything weighs a ton (or ten tons). I think the best way to be different would be to go and by a Rav4 and toss in some solid axles and a new powertrain and wheel that. Always thought that it would be sweet to see one on the trail.

nateman54
10-22-2007, 01:56 AM
That sounds kinda cool.
I thought that it might be lighter, but your probably right.
not really trying to use this idea, just throwing ideas out there.
thanks for the input though.

Duncanstives
10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
The hydraulic fluid will be moving constantly and in constant contact with the sides of the entire system as well as the molocules of the fluid cosntantly bouncing around and smacking into each other in a very nearly random fashion... This means that while a portion of your energy from your engine will drive the piston/turbine/whatever you use to turn the axle another LARGE portion will be wasted in the creation of entropy... Heat basically.
How large a portion depends on the system you are running and lots of math that probably only a very small number of people in the world fully understand... But everything I have been told has indicated it would be quite a bit.
Hydrualics are only efficient in situations where direct mechanical linkages would be impractical (i.e a multi-jointed arm on a tractor which is in constant motion at a variety of angles or hydraulic tools which must be portable)

nateman54
10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the insight. These are things that I have no idea about.

Duncanstives
10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
No problem... I have spent a lot of time thinking about exotic vehicle drive mechanisms... It tend to be a topic of interest to me.

I have come to the conclusion that for the most part once you delve into it a bit you discover things are done the way they are done for very good reasons. I am still determined to make an all electric motor-in-wheel vehicle one day... Now THAT would be a project... LOL

slim616
10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I went down this road also, thinking about taking a skid steer motor swapping it over to a cj and putting pumps on all four wheels. This way I could control all four wheel independently. It can be done but in the end I came up with the conlusion that why waste the time to do it. I also toyed with the idea of a electric clutch/tranny that works off of a magnectic field like the ones you see on the huge rock crushers and stuff. By adjusting the magnectic field you could get what ever crawl ratio you wanted. But like I said I put down the good stuff stopped thinking and went to bed.

DJJordache
10-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I also thought about this in the past, since I work a lot with excavators and skid steers that use this type of movement drive style... but figured it would be very costly and a pita to setup to be functional.

nateman54
10-25-2007, 03:16 AM
So I'm not the only one. Thanks again for the opinions.

I do think that in hub electric motors are a cool idea. I read some where that the replacement for the hummer will be this way.

DJJordache
11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
ok I HAD TO BUMP THIS! check out this on pirate and their website:

HydroDynamic Build (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585331)

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/index.htm

I have some spare hydraulic part in the warehouse that I might build some random stuff with this inspiration:D