PDA

View Full Version : GSSW 07 photos

hoffyinaz
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Had a wonderful trip, weather perfect, wheelin perfect and people were great. Glad to meet all of you.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561126620RzrZdT

DerekL
10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Good pics.

BigDaveZJ
10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice pics! What did Pitch break besides the obvious shaft that he need to remove the carrier to fix?

hoffyinaz
10-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Nice pics! What did Pitch break besides the obvious shaft that he need to remove the carrier to fix?

Not sure what its called, but its a "star" shaped piece in behind the ring gear that has splines in it and the shaft goes in. Most all of the splines were gone. He didnt drive trails after replacing shaft due to not having the "star" piece. He did drive home today, so hopefully he made it.

BigDaveZJ
10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Spider gear??

I thought he was locked in the back? Oh well, hopefully he makes it home just fine!

Pitch
10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Spider gear??

I thought he was locked in the back? Oh well, hopefully he makes it home just fine!

Made it home fine, no issues at all, but my drive home was only 35 miles!

The AL 44 Yukon shaft broke off just after the splines... maybe some housing flex? The inside of the carrier was fairly gnarled up in spots, there is a star-shaped spacer (?) that sits inside behind the ring gear plates inside of a larger star shaped recess on the carrier. It was pretty torn up. Even looking through the FSM I cannot tell what it is called, I will need to look in a parts catalog to replace it. Luckily, lots of help was at hand and I was able to get the spare shaft back in, albeit with a little encouragement from a mini-sledge. Big thanks to everyone that helped on the trail, esp. Sandy's son Ryan.

The good news is that John's old spool held up just fine!

DansZJ
10-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Great photos, Doug!

Dave,
They weren't spider gears as he is locked with a one-off custom spool setup in a d44a. We got pics of the inner star gear thing, someone called it a geo-something. I expect Eric will be posting up with a better description of what it was[Edit - See post above]. But it was pretty good failure. The outer bearings failed damaging the race. He was prepared with an extra shaft, that had bearings and a new race. Taught us all a thing about being prepared.

Matt
10-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Great pics!

Glad you made it home safe Pitch.

kevinc
10-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Eric, the "star shaped part" was a gerotor part from the original vari-lok diff. Just part of a positive displacement pump. Useless with the mini-spool, of course, except for what I believe to be a bit more spline engagement in addition to the mini spool John came up with. Good times, everyone!

Sandy R
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
To echo what others have said:

great time
great people
great planning & execution
great picturesOn my way home at 75mph I blew a 3 month new 760 axle ujoint on I-10 west of Phoenix. Gary and I spent 2-1/2 hours pulling it, trying to get the old one out, and putting it back together. These roadside trip repairs just suck. Gotta figure out why the front keeps breaking before any more long trips. While Gary and I were working on the repair my wife called to tell me that she and my daughter were under mandatory evacuation due to the Santa Clarita fires. Anyway, got HOME after midnight and at least the house is fine. I'm looking forward to GSSW 2008!
Thanks again.

InIt4TheFun
10-24-2007, 05:22 PM
While Gary and I were working on the repair my wife called to tell me that she and my daughter were under mandatory evacuation due to the Santa Clarita fires. Anyway, got HOME after midnight and at least the house is fine.

I could not help but wonder with the fires if yours and Gary's houses were ok. Glad to hear it and thanks for letting us know.

Sandy R
10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I could not help but wonder with the fires if yours and Gary's houses were ok. Glad to hear it and thanks for letting us know.

Gary lives in Huntington Beach which has remained clear of the fires.

Colorado 5.9
10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Here's my photos. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/GSSW%2007/?start=all

DansZJ
10-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Made it home fine, no issues at all, but my drive home was only 35 miles!

The AL 44 Yukon shaft broke off just after the splines... maybe some housing flex? The inside of the carrier was fairly gnarled up in spots, there is a star-shaped spacer (?) that sits inside behind the ring gear plates inside of a larger star shaped recess on the carrier. It was pretty torn up. Even looking through the FSM I cannot tell what it is called, I will need to look in a parts catalog to replace it. Luckily, lots of help was at hand and I was able to get the spare shaft back in, albeit with a little encouragement from a mini-sledge. Big thanks to everyone that helped on the trail, esp. Sandy's son Ryan.

The good news is that John's old spool held up just fine!

Here's a few photos to illustrate the damage. I have more that I'll be posting once I get through them all and post them to my Picassa account.

Broken shaft. Broken section was stuck in the spool. Note the damaged outer bearing.

Gerotor (Thanks Kevin C) - more than half the splines were "galled" (word of the day).

How do you like trail repairs?