PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bucket

Pages : [1] 2

ILikeMud
10-20-2007, 12:22 AM
It's Friday night, I'm bored, sober and have to be up in a few hours for a course so I decided to put off sleep more by posting this.

About a week ago a friend and I checked out a 93 Grand Cherokee. The buyer wanted $2300 and I didn't expect much for the price. I was surprised when I saw it though. This thing is mint!! Apart from some rusty rockers and high mileage it was an overall clean truck. Seller had all the information on the truck with him and even receipts for the work he did when he bought it (new brakes and a rebuilt trans).
So I bought the thing, the seller knocked $200 off his asking price too.
It's a 93 with the 5.2L V8 (YAY! no more 4.SLOW), d30/d35 and a 249 and leather (god that sounds so mall crawler...), oh and an OE gas tank skid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stocker01.jpg

We've all seen stock Grands and here's another.
So what's my plans? Well I definitely learned a lot from my previous ZJ and now what to do and what not to do (avoid water holes). The whole goal with this build is simple, Do it once, do it right!
First and foremost that 249 is going bye bye. I want something without a VC and with 2wd. Looking at a crawl box, I'll post more on that a little later.

After that's done I'll be saving my pennies and whatever lose change I find in the sofa to buy a Clayton's Long Arm Kit. I've had the crappy ride and performance of a short arm suspension before and I swore I'd never do it again.
The 35 will definitely be replaced when this happens and I'll likely step up to 35s.

This will be my new DD so it won't be wheeled till the LAs and 35s are on it (plus some protection too). The other goal with this build is to be able to take on almost any trail in Ontario and whatever ones I can think of running in the states, hence the name Trail Slayer.

Flame on!

ILikeMud
10-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Oh and yes, I have a hard on for that shade of Green.

corrupt143
10-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Looks good. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal too.

redline61
10-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Nice deal. It's awesome that these things are getting cheaper. When I was in high school I used to dream of owning a 5.9, and now I wheel one:)

zj-monster
10-20-2007, 02:12 AM
http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eenergy/SleepIsGood.jpg

Goto bed you whore.

zj95maxx
10-20-2007, 08:08 AM
schweeeeeeet:D

MyNameIsJerry
10-20-2007, 08:32 AM
What axles are you going to put under it? 44/9? 30/8.8?

ILikeMud
10-20-2007, 09:00 PM
The Honda was backed into yesterday. The guy said he'd pay for it and now refuses too after finding out the cost, he also refused to give me his insurance information.
That's ok though, I've already filed a police report and started the claim process with my insurance company.
Looks like I might not when have to sell the thing.

Nice deal. It's awesome that these things are getting cheaper. When I was in high school I used to dream of owning a 5.9, and now I wheel one:)

Must be your area. Jeeps seem to have a premium price up here. Most of the cheap ones aren't worth a damn. I've looked at many a rusted to hell CJ, YJ and XJ before finding this thing on the local forums.

http://www.uvm.edu/%7Eenergy/SleepIsGood.jpg

Goto bed you whore.

:D

schweeeeeeet:D

Very. Going to be so nice to actually see traffic again instead of just looking at bumpers.

What axles are you going to put under it? 44/9? 30/8.8?

30/8.8 is most likely for now. It depends if I'm going to run 35s or 37s, I know I want to run one of the two. However, with a healthy V8 and crawl box I don't see the 30 taking very kindly to all that torque multiplication.
Maybe a Waggy/8.8 (Maybe even a Toyota rear since I got a friend who parts them out. Don't have to worry about matching lug patterns then). 1 tons are a ways off for this thing yet but I want something that's build up pretty damned solid.

I'll post my crawl box decisions in the next little bit.

adam99wj
10-20-2007, 09:35 PM
nice find , glad to see ya found another grand to tear the living shit out of !!!

for the doubler i an planning on goin with a np231 to a dana 300, theres a guy in nova scotia the will do it for $750, all you have to do is send him the 2 cases and he will ship you back the completed unit. i thought it was a good deal???? is it ??????

his name is Rue Armstrong, He knows his shit, he is pretty popular for such things as "The Wolf" That red buggy in most of the bellavista tech posts from pirate4x4

ILikeMud
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
nice find , glad to see ya found another grand to tear the living shit out of !!!

for the doubler i an planning on goin with a np231 to a dana 300, theres a guy in nova scotia the will do it for $750, all you have to do is send him the 2 cases and he will ship you back the completed unit. i thought it was a good deal???? is it ??????

his name is Rue Armstrong, He knows his shit, he is pretty popular for such things as "The Wolf" That red buggy in most of the bellavista tech posts from pirate4x4

The Wolf is Bill's buggy. He used to live in NS so I can see why Rue has done some work on it.
I'm going to go with the Mad Rooster kit and get whatever work I need done locally. $750 for Rue to do the work isn't bad but shipping the t-cases to NS will kill me.

Alright, on to the doubler, as I just said I'm going to be going with the Mad Rooster kit, it can be be seen here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399755

From that thread:

Modifications required on your 231:

You'll have to cut off the front output portion of the front case half with a grinder or hack saw/band saw. The resulting hole needs a 3/8 alluminum plate welded over it. I took mine to a welding shop and they did it all for $30 in a half hour. There are a couple other mods to the shift mechanism that you'll need/may choose to do as well, the only necessary one is too cut the shift rod to length.

So I fired Phil, the owner of Mad Rooster, a PM to ask him if I could use the set up in my Driver's Drop ZJ. His reply:

You flip the 231 crawl box AND the d300 together as one unit and then use clocking rings to dial in the position that you want. Yes, you will need a flip kit for the 300 or you'll have to rig up some cable shifters for it as well as fab a shifter for the 231 crawl box.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. Fabbing up some shifters shouldn't be a huge issues.

Now why am I choosing a crawl box over just a 231 or something after market (Stak or Atlas). For starters this will have more usable gear ranges then a 231 and should be stronger too.
As for the after market options, well, $3000 is a bit more then I want to spend on a Transfer case.

I mentioned gearing options, that's the whole reason for doing a doubler.
With stock gear set in the D300 I'll have access to: 1:1, 2.72:1, 2.62:1 and 7.13:1 ranges. Add a 4:1 gear set to the D300 and that low low range becomes 10.88:1. I don't see myself needing that much gear especially with the V8 so the stock gear set will be fine.

Right now I'm keeping my eyes open for a 231 and D300 to use once I have that I'll order the adapter. However, depending on what happens with the Honda, this might get kick up just a notch.
I'll keep you all updated.

PatM
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm planning on the 231/300 crawl box in my future, too. Do a good write up for me. Good luck! Glad to see you couldn't quite kick the ZJ bug!

SuicideTireZJ
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Limiteds are for pussies

ILikeMud
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm planning on the 231/300 crawl box in my future, too. Do a good write up for me. Good luck! Glad to see you couldn't quite kick the ZJ bug!

I'll definitely have a lot of info.
Keep your eyes peeled.

Limiteds are for pussies

:finga:

Kraqa
10-23-2007, 01:11 AM
i haver a 241/300 crawl box for sale!!!

CANADIAN ZJ!
10-23-2007, 10:01 AM
glad to have you back Tony, it really is. :partyman:

Im pumped for a few monster ZJ's in Ontario this year.

many beers and much wrenching to come this winter man

ILikeMud
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
i haver a 241/300 crawl box for sale!!!

Could be interest.
How much do you want and any guessitmate on shipping it?

glad to have you back Tony, it really is. :partyman:

Im pumped for a few monster ZJ's in Ontario this year.

many beers and much wrenching to come this winter man

Thanks man.
I don't think I'll be wrench much over the winter. More like work my ass off and saving for the Clayton's kit.

jfowlzj95
10-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Mmm stock ZJ, I don't think I can even remember how my ZJ was back when it was stock.

Nice find!

Hurricane 4x4
10-23-2007, 11:30 AM
it has the v8 and dana 35?

ILikeMud
10-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Yup.
D44A didn't happen until 94 or 95 I think.

ILikeMud
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Alright, I now legally own the truck. Got it all transfered over into my name and cert. this weekend. Ending up only paying $1900 for it, which is $600 off his original asking price so no complaints here.

When my mechanic was doing the safety however, he found some unibody frame rot so I had him patch it up. Also had to replace the trans cooler lines so I had him toss in a 7.25x11x.75 trans cooler. I'm picking the thing up from him tomorrow evening.
Ordering a Spintech muffler for the thing tomorrow morning.

Also after fucking around with insurance for the past 2 weeks the adjuster is finally coming to look at my car tomorrow.

Will post some pics of the over all truck as I do a lil bit more work to it this week.

ILikeMud
11-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Minor updates:
- Got Mr Lube to change the oil and now I have some really fucked electrical issues. I'm gonna have my electrical guy fuck with it tomorrow and also bitch out Mr Lube.
- Yanked the carpet out. Feels more Jeep-ish already.
- Ordered a 3" Spintech muffler.
- Found out the odd engine noise I'm hearing is an exhaust leak in the headers. Perfect excuse to order new Headers from Kolak.
- Lastly, and most IMPORTANTLY, I got a check for the Civic, they gave me $2950 for my 93 rust bucket. HELLO Clayton Long Arms.

DJJordache
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
sweet! buff out the damage on the civic and get longarms to ramp on the civic after the install:D

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
- Found out the odd engine noise I'm hearing is an exhaust leak in the headers. Perfect excuse to order new Headers from Kolak.

Mmm you'll love the Thorley headers from Kolak. :bling:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_0283.jpg

ILikeMud
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
sweet! buff out the damage on the civic and get longarms to ramp on the civic after the install:D

Insurance company will be taking the car so that won't be happening.

Mmm you'll love the Thorley headers from Kolak. :bling:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_0283.jpg

Definitely some nice looking headers.

Oh, and I will take some pictures of the facking thing tomorrow.

adam99wj
11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
the insurance money will help for sure , i wish i have 3Gs lying around , id have my tires/rims and doubler then , cant wait for the rest of the build

great job

ILikeMud
11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll only have about $1000 left over. Gonna finish paying some debt off.
However when that's all said and done I can have a little bit of fun.

SuicideTireZJ
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Alright, I now legally own the truck. Got it all transfered over into my name and cert. this weekend. Ending up only paying $1900 for it

What is that, like $25US?

ILikeMud
11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
What is that, like $25US?

Um....you do know that 1 CND dollar = 1.07 US dollars right?
So really it's $2036.82US.

Talking with my cousin and it seems he can hook me up with a HP D60 with King Pins Driver's Drop shortened to 65" WMS for $500....hmm...interesting....

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Talking with my cousin and it seems he can hook me up with a HP D60 with King Pins Driver's Drop shortened to 65" WMS for $500....hmm...interesting....

Dude, go for it! Then find a full width 9" and convert it to HP 35 spline with TrueHi9. :D

ILikeMud
11-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I'll be using a 9" out back but it'll stay sort of stock for now.

ILikeMud
11-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Alright. All the electrical issues have been fixed.
Turned out who ever installed the radio for the last owner doesn't know dick about electrical and that was causing some issues.

Now, I had to take some over all pics of the truck so here they are.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/FrontQuaterZJ.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/Side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/StockZJRear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/Interior.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/Engine.jpg

Here's the small patch that I had to have done on the rear unibody.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stock/UnibodyRepair.jpg

SuicideTireZJ
11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Damn, that's pretty clean for a 93... wish mine still looked like that.

ogdak
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
nice colour, start building.

zj95maxx
11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
V8:yumyum::yumyum::yumyum::yumyum::yumyum::yumyum:

good choice

ILikeMud
11-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. I'm working on building it.
I love the V8, it's awesome to have power right off the line.

jsteves
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Did you ever clarify exactly why you hate it?

fsjtrash
11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I wish my leather seats still looked that nice...That's a nicer colour too.

Z
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
There's just something wrong with leather seats and no carpet.

ILikeMud
11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Did you ever clarify exactly why you hate it?

Electrical issues, which I now solved.

I wish my leather seats still looked that nice...That's a nicer colour too.

Thanks. The leather is taking some getting use to.

There's just something wrong with leather seats and no carpet.

Hehehe....the carpets were pretty nasty so they had to go.

Ordering my crawl box in the AM. Decided to put the Clayton's on hold for a bit. I want to do the crawl box now so I can get rid of the 249, just in case. Since I need a t-case to drive the truck I figure it makes more sense to just do it now and have a decent case.

jsteves
11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
EOrdering my crawl box in the AM. Decided to put the Clayton's on hold for a bit. I want to do the crawl box now so I can get rid of the 249, just in case. Since I need a t-case to drive the truck I figure it makes more sense to just do it now and have a decent case.

I guess it really does not mater until you go to larger tires....BUT I don't think the 30/35 will be up to the task of the crawl box. I would go with the claytons first as it will ride great on the road, you can wheel it with 33's. I ran my 249 with dead VC for more than a year. Just had to park farther away and walk, don't worry, the exercise is good for you...Just my two cents.

My66coupe
11-10-2007, 03:33 AM
Some quality welds on that patch job!

ILikeMud
11-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I guess it really does not mater until you go to larger tires....BUT I don't think the 30/35 will be up to the task of the crawl box. I would go with the claytons first as it will ride great on the road, you can wheel it with 33's. I ran my 249 with dead VC for more than a year. Just had to park farther away and walk, don't worry, the exercise is good for you...Just my two cents.

I'm sure the D30/35 won't be up to it.
Right now I'm keeping my eyes open for an 8.8 for the rear and I think I'm going to polish an HP D30 for the front. Not my perfect set up but should let me still have fun for a few years.

Besides I don't have any real intent to wheel it till the Claytons and 8.8 are in it.

Some quality welds on that patch job!

Seriously or no?
My mechanic did the work not me.

two_much_talk
11-10-2007, 06:51 PM

nice ! jump on that ! and pick me up one ! :D

DJJordache
11-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Seriously or no?
My mechanic did the work not me.I would say he is being facetious, a better pic would show the welds better, but they don't look like a good bead of weld...

ILikeMud
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I can't hold a camera stedy for the life of me.

He might have used a stick, either way it's not coming off.

ogdak
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
... an HP D30 for the front. Not my perfect set up but should let me still have fun for a few years.

Nice how history repeat's:D , I once thought that. What tire size are you gonna run with that?

My66coupe
11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Seriously or no?
My mechanic did the work not me.

Just messing with ya tony! those welds do look like crap though...could be a mixture of the under body liner throwing me off though....

I doubt it will go anywhere.

rssnrocket9
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
man, for 4 grand that little civic could have been running 13's. where did you get those headers from? ive looked and have never seen headers for my shit, just I6 headers.

ILikeMud
11-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Nice how history repeat's:D , I once thought that. What tire size are you gonna run with that?

I'm not sure. Most likely 35s, if I even do it.

Just messing with ya tony! those welds do look like crap though...could be a mixture of the under body liner throwing me off though....

I doubt it will go anywhere.

Could. It'll be fine though I think. Even if something happens I can just slevee the frame.

man, for 4 grand that little civic could have been running 13's. where did you get those headers from? ive looked and have never seen headers for my shit, just I6 headers.

Those aren't my Headers. They are from Kevin's.
Personally I would never waste the money on a Civic or going fast, not worth it.

I think I might copy my old Jeep with a F>R swap sometime in the new year. It's too cold to do anything in the winter.

ILikeMud
11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Got this e-mail from a buddy for a Rear D60 he's selling, opinions?

4.56, bored out for 35 spline shafts, set-up for double triangulated 4-link, disc brakes. Spiders right now are 31 spline and lincolned. Gonna need new spiders to weld or probably a locker. Got 35 spline shafts that are too long so you get them cut and splined or buy some beefy ones. Gonna need some caliper brackets, calipers, pads, etc.

$300

corrupt143
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Id pick it up, if you decide not to use it, you could always sell it for more.

CANADIAN ZJ!
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I've had a good look at that 60 Tony, it's in great shape. Already cleaned up and brackets that are useable for your application. I can machine you a pair of caliper brackets for a good price and weld 'em on for ya

ILikeMud
11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Werd Craig.

Curt and I are gonna go to the Rubicon for beers this week and work some shit out.

ILikeMud
11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Alright now that I've finally got internet again at my house I can update this thread with some pictures.
Picked up a Wilwood Proportioning Valve (P/N: 260-8419) and 86 E-350 MC (P/N:10-2008) for my Kung Fu 1 ton brakes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Kung%20Fu%20Brakes/MCPropValve01.jpg

Got my CB radio and antenna mounted up and installed, just need a clip for the Mic and it's complete.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/CB%20Radio/Antenna.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/CB%20Radio/CBRadio.jpg

Spintech muffler came in last week too:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Exhaust/Spintech01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Exhaust/Spintech02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Exhaust/Spintech03.jpg

Brought it to my exhaust shop and had it put on with 3" pipe:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Exhaust/Spintech04.jpg

Sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VZhq9HopqA

That's about it for now, I'll update more as it happens.

canadian_driver
11-19-2007, 11:41 AM
man that muffler looks getto.

if i were a cop and saw that i would think u painted a shoe box silver

SirFuego
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
How long will it take for that CB antenna mount to get ripped off by a tree?

jfowlzj95
11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Haha yeah that muffler does look ghetto, but it sounds pretty decent though.

ILikeMud
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
How long will it take for that CB antenna mount to get ripped off by a tree?

The old ZJ was like that and I never once had an issue with it.

man that muffler looks getto.

if i were a cop and saw that i would think u painted a shoe box silver

Haha yeah that muffler does look ghetto, but it sounds pretty decent though.

The shop painted it so I have nothing to say on that.
As for the ghetto looks, meh, it's under the thing so you barely ever see it, plus the beefiness of it and sound make up for the ghetto looks.

CANADIAN ZJ!
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
yeah last I checked mufflers were for sound and performance. if it's constructed well thats another important feature...who the fawk cares what their muffler looks like, must be a bunch o mallcrawlers or somthin :flipoff2:

ILikeMud
11-19-2007, 11:34 PM
yeah last I checked mufflers were for sound and performance. if it's constructed well thats another important feature...who the fawk cares what their muffler looks like, must be a bunch o mallcrawlers or somthin :flipoff2:

Well, we know Joel's a mall crawler.

ILikeMud
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Crawl Box is at my cousin's in MI.

I'll head down in a few weeks to pick it up.

TheOtherSide
11-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Sounds like you got a good deal.... welcome to the V8 club! :D

As for the exhaust... not too bad, but I still like my Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system. (gotta have the cat for emissions here).... got a 50 Series muffler in it... but I've been thinking about headers... and maybe a 40 series or dual 40 series.

Anyone done true dual exhaust on a ZJ before?

When is it lifty lifty time for your ZJ?

ILikeMud
11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you got a good deal.... welcome to the V8 club! :D

As for the exhaust... not too bad, but I still like my Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system. (gotta have the cat for emissions here).... got a 50 Series muffler in it... but I've been thinking about headers... and maybe a 40 series or dual 40 series.

Anyone done true dual exhaust on a ZJ before?

When is it lifty lifty time for your ZJ?

I would have done a Flowmaster but EVERY ONE uses them on a V8. Gotta be a bit different. Plus I hate the drone Flowmasters have on the highway and crusing.

I'm not sure a true dual exhaust will fit, it would be interesting and I think a true dual exhaust would have more hp/tq.

Lift will be happening in the new year/spring. I'm already gathering parts but as you know winter time sucks.
I'm sure I'll end up doing it sooner though.

ILikeMud
11-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Picked up some u-jointed shafts for the D30 and some hubs too.

Front drive shaft has angry sparrows so that's pissing me off.

Talked with a shop about a cage, waiting to hear back on pricing.

ILikeMud
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Bought some lift parts, thanks Jordan!!

As for what I'm thinking about with the project right now...

With 5.5" of lift, the right back spacing, bump stops and trimming, I bet I could fit 36s. :booya:

More to come as I figure it out.

DJJordache
12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm gonna start getting them cleaned up and packed today! :D

ILikeMud
12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Sweet man!

ILikeMud
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Alright, so here's the plan now.
Waggy D44 front with some 4.10s and chromos. Toyota V6 8" rear axle with 4.10s. Aussie Lockers in both. Bolt some 36" Iroks on and wheel the piss out of it.
4.10s should keep it very street-able and the crawl box will help out on the trails.

canadian_driver
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
well get on it already, comawn

jsteves
12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Alright, so here's the plan now.
Waggy D44 front with some 4.10s and chromos. Toyota V6 8" rear axle with 4.10s. Aussie Lockers in both. Bolt some 36" Iroks on and wheel the piss out of it.
4.10s should keep it very street-able and the crawl box will help out on the trails.

You better upgrade the u-joints in that 44 too or you will blow 'em to pieces every trip out. I will admit after much poo-pooing of the wag 44 on my part that when I actually had one in my garage it made the 30 look kinda of foolish. The ring gear is actually much bigger and the casting and tubes are much larger. However, as has been said many times it is the same u-joint as a D30 so you WILL need to do something with 'em.

ILikeMud
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
well get on it already, comawn

Working on it slowly man.
I need to finish X-mas shopping first.

You better upgrade the u-joints in that 44 too or you will blow 'em to pieces every trip out. I will admit after much poo-pooing of the wag 44 on my part that when I actually had one in my garage it made the 30 look kinda of foolish. The ring gear is actually much bigger and the casting and tubes are much larger. However, as has been said many times it is the same u-joint as a D30 so you WILL need to do something with 'em.

I will definitely be running some sort of Alloy U-Joint.

adam99wj
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
git er done

ILikeMud
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Tiny little update, more of a sharing of some plans. Feed back is welcome.
Rocker/boatside design:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Plans%20And%20Drawings/boatsiderockerplans.jpg

Thinking about chopping the top but making it a removable hard top.
I'm not overly worried about stiffening up my unibody because before I do this I'll be doing a lot of work to basically tie the whole body together and make it into a ballistic shit missile.
The 'frame' will be plated front to back with some 3/16" thick tubing. If I can't use tube then I'll be burning 3/16" plate on (steering box area, rear 'frame', etc). That should stiffen things up nicely.
From there I'll be building some cut out rockers/boat sides. They will incorporate some 2x2 1/8" or 3/16" tube that will go up into my A and B pillars and then be plug welded in several places. From there the rockers themselves will be tied into the frame then some 1" dia .120 wall dom will be mounted on and angle to serve as the foundation for my boat sides. Then 3/16" plate will be plug welded to the tube and welded fully where it meets the rockers and 'frame' (after the cage is done though).
After that Jim at Rock Spyder 4x4 will be putting together a cage for me. Pass thorugh the dash, tied into the frame as many points as possible. The whole cage will be 1.5" dia .120 wall DOM and run nice and close to the interior.

Hot Carl
12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I have a suggestion: I'd do like zj95maxx did(if you're getting front & rear bumpers) and tie in your rockers to the bumpers too via some tubing or something. I don't know if you were already planning on it, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Kraqa
12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
yo price and location of that muffler please. i need somethign compact for my v6 that doesn't sound liek shit.

SuicideTireZJ
12-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Thinking about chopping the top but making it a removable hard top.
I'm not overly worried about stiffening up my unibody because before I do this I'll be doing a lot of work to basically tie the whole body together and make it into a ballistic shit missile.

New project name, or ban:smt071

ILikeMud
12-11-2007, 12:11 PM
hahahaha.....
I think that name is taken on Pirate already.

SuicideTireZJ
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
DUDE! You rock! Seriously, look into T&T customs fame stiffeners. $170 and you don't have to fuck around trying to make your own, then you can add on to them and plate the front and back. I don't know what your metal-shaping capabilities are though.

ILikeMud
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm not too bad working with metal believe it or not. It's what I went to school for.

$170 plus $30 to ship them to MI plus another easy $100 or more in gas for me to go to MI and get them. I've got a local hook up on metal so I'll most likely just get some tube here and burn it on.

Got some 3/16 plate in my garage so since I'm off all week I might try to make some templates and start shaping some frame plating for the front.

BLK97ZJ
12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm not too bad working with metal believe it or not. It's what I went to school for.

Was that before or after you cut your fenders? J/K

adam99wj
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
hahahahah

ILikeMud
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll show you guys some trimmed fenders in a minute.

Hurricane 4x4
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
every time i see those pictures it cracks me up... looks like a shark bit your fender well

ILikeMud
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
So I've been a bit bored this week and well, idle hands are the devils play toy. So I fabbed up a hood lift for the ZJ, I think it looks pretty decent. Should help a tiny bit with under hood temps when on the trail.

Picked up some scrap tube from Metal Supermarket for $4. Measured a bit, drilled some holes, cut it to length, painted them and installed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Appearance/Hood%20Lift/HoodLift06.jpg

ogdak
12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Nice, seen those before only in another colour

ILikeMud
12-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I can't take credit for the idea of course.
Hopefully it will help with under hood temps a lil.

DJJordache
12-15-2007, 12:06 AM
are you gonna pick up the parts tomorrow:D

canadian_driver
12-15-2007, 03:52 AM
caomawn get it ufcken lifted and lets go wheeling!!!!

ILikeMud
12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
are you gonna pick up the parts tomorrow:D

I was going to actually but I had to help a friend pick up a CJ7. Man was that a bad idea. For those that don't know, CJ hard tops don't seal all that great. That was a cold ass drive home from Windsor, long too.
My parents are down there on the 30th so they'll pick em up for me.

caomawn get it ufcken lifted and lets go wheeling!!!!

I need to do front ball joints, change the shafts out, install the crawl box and new driveshafts and then I'll be lifting it.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Nice "fab" job. Should really help on those blistering hot canadian winters.

ILikeMud
12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, it's horribly hot here, especially with the several inches of snow we've gotten.

Now, I might have to remove it do to all this snow and quite a bit of it getting into my engine bay.

SirFuego
12-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Now, I might have to remove it do to all this snow and quite a bit of it getting into my engine bay.
Hmm. Never really thought of that, but I guess that could be a problem.... At least it's just bolt on.

Kraqa
12-17-2007, 12:06 AM
you could have done what i did and remove the cowl gasket.

ILikeMud
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Hmm. Never really thought of that, but I guess that could be a problem.... At least it's just bolt on.

Yea, I'm considering removing it sometime this week if we get more snow.

you could have done what i did and remove the cowl gasket.

Cowl gasket is gone already.

1fox2go
12-17-2007, 05:04 PM
I wish it would snow here. We haven't had any snow that was worth anything in a few years.

Skyline
12-17-2007, 08:28 PM
If your ZJ is overheating, or even just running hot...you really should just FIX the issue(s), rather than trying to apply a silly looking DIY fix.

There is no question that a ZJ has a lot of marginal parts in its cooling system....I've replaced my radiator twice, water pump, heater core, and thermostat once, several gaskets (thermostat housing, water pump gasket, etc...) BUT, when everything is working as it should, there is no problem in sitting in bumper to bumper NY City traffic on a 100 degree day with the AC on full blast.

The system may be built like shit...but it's not under-engineered.

ILikeMud
12-17-2007, 11:17 PM
It never said the truck was over heating.

Like I said, I'll likely be taking it off.

Skyline
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Then why were you concerned with under hood temps?

Should help a tiny bit with under hood temps when on the trail.

DerekL
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Just let the man jack is hood up, cowl induction.

ILikeMud
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Then why were you concerned with under hood temps?

Cause it's happened on the trail with my old ZJ.

ILikeMud
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Picked up a welder today, YAY!

ILikeMud
01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Finally got some more parts here. Parents picked them up when they visited family in MI this weekend.
Lift parts came in (3.5" springs, Tera Front Lower Adj arms, RE Rear Upper Adj Arms, JKS Rear Track Bar), everything but the springs might be up for sale though, think I want to buy Clayton's and get it over with now.
Didn't feel like unwrapping them all the way.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Lift/LiftParts01.jpg

Also, I've got my crawl box kit from Mad Rooster.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/CrawlBox01.jpg

Came with a pretty cool/blinging shift knob.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/CrawlBox02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/CrawlBox02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/CrawlBox03.jpg

All I've got to do now is find a D300 for it and start fabbing it up.
This weekend Andy and I are doing Ball Joints and new u-jointed axle shafts in the D-Turdy. Plus I'm gonna bring along Mr. Lincoln and weld up plate in my door to fix the latch and put some new pins in.

DerekL
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
If any of those control arms will work on a WJ as lower fronts, I'm interested.

ILikeMud
01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Think they are ZJ specific. I'll check it out.

ILikeMud
01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Checked a few different manufacturers and they list ZJ and WJ front lower control arms as the same part number.

DerekL
01-03-2008, 12:45 AM
shoot me a price while i do a little more research teraflex's site uses two different numbers, i need to push my axle forward.

DJJordache
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
those parts are a festive green:D

sometimes I wish I had gone straight to claytons from the start but it's nice to have learned alot through the build up steps from a bb to 3.5" to claytons:supz:

Cue-Ball
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Clayton's all the way, skip the 3.5" step you know you want to go BIG why waste the time in the middle.

jfowlzj95
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Mmm parts! I might be interested in that JKS rear trackbar if you can get me a good deal on it. :D

Hurricane 4x4
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
haha who saran wraps parts? looks like something my mom would do

MoonWorks
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Clayton's all the way, skip the 3.5" step you know you want to go BIG why waste the time in the middle.

I skipped the BB and started at 3" springs and new arms first off. I agree with DJ that it's good to start small and build up slowly. Yeah you spend a bit more but you learn tons by doing it that way. Not just about your rig itself but how to actually drive. It forces you to learn how to pick a line b/c you start wheeling just above your rigs capabilities which forces you to go bigger. I was fun wheeling at 3", open/open. But 35's and fully locked is more fun :)

DJJordache
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
haha who saran wraps parts? looks like something my mom would do
hahah it's not saran wrap, it's the stretch packing pallet wrap stuff

ILikeMud
01-03-2008, 08:28 PM
shoot me a price while i do a little more research teraflex's site uses two different numbers, i need to push my axle forward.

PM'd!

Mmm parts! I might be interested in that JKS rear trackbar if you can get me a good deal on it. :D

PM'd!

those parts are a festive green:D

sometimes I wish I had gone straight to claytons from the start but it's nice to have learned alot through the build up steps from a bb to 3.5" to claytons:supz:

I skipped the BB and started at 3" springs and new arms first off. I agree with DJ that it's good to start small and build up slowly. Yeah you spend a bit more but you learn tons by doing it that way. Not just about your rig itself but how to actually drive. It forces you to learn how to pick a line b/c you start wheeling just above your rigs capabilities which forces you to go bigger. I was fun wheeling at 3", open/open. But 35's and fully locked is more fun :)

I've never owner a BB, since both my ZJs had 30s when I bought them, spending the money to lift it 2" and put 1" bigger rubber on was a waste. Hence why I did a F > R swap on my old ZJ (3.5") and tossed some 33s on it.

I think these 3.5" springs, some 2" spacers and Claytons will be perfect for 35s. Plus I'll have to toss the Turdy Five at the same time.

gonecheenin
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
What made you decide to go with the Mad Rooster setup over the cheaper DD machine product?

ThinkX2
01-04-2008, 04:45 PM

My 95 has a 35 along w/the 5.2 as well :(

ILikeMud
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
What made you decide to go with the Mad Rooster setup over the cheaper DD machine product?

I've answered this before.....however, one last time.
Duffy hasn't been answering emails, phone calls, pm, etc. Been hard to get a hold of. Kraqa himself had some issues so I just decided, fawk it and bought the Mad Rooster kit.

jsteves
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
My 95 has a 35 along w/the 5.2 as well :(

93-95's ALL had a 35 in the rear.

I agree you should just jump to the Clayton's but you should have done it before you wasted the money on all that shit.

gonecheenin
01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I figured, but I wanted to make sure

It cost you about a 100 more right?

Problem with my setup is I don't plan on running a D300, is Mad Rooster considering doing other shaft spline counts?

I've answered this before.....however, one last time.

Oh, sorry man

I purposefully reread the thread before asking to make sure you hadn't already said that
Musta been in a different thread or something

ILikeMud
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
93-95's ALL had a 35 in the rear.

I agree you should just jump to the Clayton's but you should have done it before you wasted the money on all that shit.

Yes but I got a good deal on the stuff and I can easily sell it off for what I paid so it won't make a difference.

I figured, but I wanted to make sure

It cost you about a 100 more right?

Problem with my setup is I don't plan on running a D300, is Mad Rooster considering doing other shaft spline counts?

Oh, sorry man

I purposefully reread the thread before asking to make sure you hadn't already said that
Musta been in a different thread or something

No worries.
I'm not sure of the cost difference. IIRC you can use a 231 (why I don't know) with the doubler kit (231-231) but I'm not 100% sure.
If your on Pirate, pm desertCJ and he'll answer your questions.

DJJordache
01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
IIRC you can use a 231 (why I don't know) with the doubler kit (231-231) but I'm not 100% sure.yeah a 231/231 is possible someone built one on pirate in that doubler thread (don't know if was actually used since it's so long in that configuration). I wouldn't do a 231/231 though, since that second tcase will see alot more input torque than a normal 231 would ever see and that is asking alot from a chain driven tcase in a doubler setup, even if the second one is wide-chained and 6 planetary built

ILikeMud
01-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Yea, chain cases suck.
Plus the 231 can't be twin sticked. I know I won't use it much but I've got a feeling it will be helpful.

gonecheenin
01-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Psycho is a friend of mine here in PA, and of all the problems he ever had with his truck, chains weren't one of them even with the 140:1 gear reduction that setup had

Sure you can wear a chain out over the years, but I've never seen one break

The twinstick thing however is what lead me to do use the aluminum case as only a doubler in my hardcore YJ (I think someone designed a twinstick for the 231, but thats money that doesn't seem worth spending)

but when the ZJ gets a stick its just gonne get dual 231's
Simple & clean, stock shifter running the rear case, front case cable shifted with a PTO dealio

ILikeMud
01-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I've had friends stretch t-case chains inside of a year, after 1 season to be correct.

DerekL
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
:worthles:

Seriously, throw me a bone.

ILikeMud
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Got a 231 case today and a new door, pictures once I get a chance.

ILikeMud
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Did some work to the truck over the weekend.
Andy worked did the ball joints and swapped in the u-joint shafts while I attempted to fix the door.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/BallJoints001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/BallJoints002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/BallJoints003.jpg
Nice to have those shitty CV shafts out but I lost some turning radius.

The attempt to fix the door didn't work out so well. Got the latch all out and got a good look at the damage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door002.jpg

Made up a template for a re-enforcement plate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door003.jpg

Couldn't get the latch to work correctly though so it's still held shut with a bungee cord.
I went to the wrecker this week however and picked up a new door off another 93 Limited for $60. The lower door pin is a lil loose so I'll change it tomorrow evening.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/NewDoor001.jpg

ILikeMud
01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Got the 231 for the Crawl Box. I'm going to disassemble it tomorrow and start getting it ready.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/NP231J002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/NP231J001.jpg

Last thing to address for now, the black door and my green truck.
I'll admit that I love flat black vehicles, just looks simply bad ass but without having it professionally done, the results can be mixed.
Then I read these threads
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=best&Number=2331682&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=best&Number=2331682&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3493382&an=0&page=2#Post3493382
Plus got some tips from the guy who posted it (he's local).
So all I need to do it is a can of Tremclad, a 4" foam roller, some minerial spirts for thinning and some sand paper.
I'm going to give it a shot on the new door so we'll see how it turns out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/PaintStuff001.jpg

IndyZJ
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
How are you going to keep the flat finish with that method? I've seen that method a few different times, but with wet sanding after each coat to take out the runs and everything. Not trying to knock it or anything, but it'll probably look a little runny or have an odd finish to it. I've just never seen anyone try to roll on flat paint.

ILikeMud
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
The flat is an experiment.
If it doesn't work out too well then I'll try semi gloss.

IndyZJ
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I hope it works... I'm painting my biscayne flat black this spring and it would be awesome to not have to spray it - good luck

ILikeMud
01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks.
I've got to get the thinning part correct.

ILikeMud
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
New door is on!
First a look at my ghetto fab skills on keeping the door shut for the past month or so.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door005.jpg
Nothing a bungee cord and the handy man's secret weapon, duct tape, could fix.

Stripping the doors down:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/NewDoor002.jpg

Taking the door pin out was a bitch. I thought, why not chisel it out? (don't due this, it won't work, just grind the head off and bash it out). However I didn't have a cold chisel, so I went to the store and got one. It was a cold drive!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/Door008.jpg

Finally, I've got a new door that actually shuts on the truck once again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Misc%20Repairs/NewDoor003.jpg

Using my spare door, I started painting with the Tremclad to get an idea/feel for it. This is after the first coat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad004.jpg

ILikeMud
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
2nd and 3rd coat!
On the 2nd coat I sanded it lightly with 1000 grit sand paper so it looks a little off.

2nd coat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad006.jpg

3rd coat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad010.jpg

SirFuego
01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Looks good. I like the rougher look of the flat black rolled on.

If you are looking for a smoother look though, you might want to use a high density foam roller instead -- it causes fewer bubbles. Waiting longer (especially in colder weather) between coats really helps to smooth it out as well.

I did the same method on my ZJs hood last winter and it worked really well. People can't tell that it's rolled on. I waited almost two days between coats. Though I used a glossy white color, so perhaps the flat color won't get much smoother than what it looks like.

ILikeMud
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I've only been waiting about an hour to and hour and a half between coats.
I've also giving it a light sanding with 1000th grit after the 2nd and 4th coats. 5th coat is on and drying. I will be doing 1 more coat and then letting it dry until tomorrow morning, I'll post pictures after it's dried for several hours.
I love who the paint self levels too, you can't even see where the roller only did part of the door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad015.jpg

I think it looks fucking bad ass.

ChiliPepperTJ
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
The flat looks good, I like that bit of texture.
Kevin

aresridingflat
01-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm liking the look of the flat black too... giving me ideas for my shitbox

ILikeMud
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
The 5th and final coat after about 9-10hrs of drying time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Re-Paint/Tremclad019.jpg

DJJordache
01-14-2008, 10:42 AM
that has a lot of orange peel:D

ILikeMud
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
It hasn't been sanded at all yet.
If I wet sand it I can make it fairly smooth.

SirFuego
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but how much are you painting black? You going to do the whole ZJ? Or just the doors?

ILikeMud
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
The whole ZJ.
Just using the door to see what it looks like.

adam99wj
01-14-2008, 02:56 PM
looks good , it sort of looks like the texture of that duplicolour bedliner that crappy tire sells

ILikeMud
01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Yea, I like it but I think if I paint it now, a certain someone won't let me forget about it. I'm still being bothered about the exhaust.

I've got a bunch of things I want to fix up so that's what I've going to work on now. Get everything up to 100%.
List is:
Wheeling Bearings
Ball joints on the passenger side
Steering
Kung Fu Brakes
Install U-joint axle shaft in passenger side
Speaker in driver side door
Alternator and belt
Possible shocks
Key cylinder in driver side door
Replace a bulb in one of my fog lights
Do something about my headlights (polish them up, thinking about buying some new housings and retro fitting some HID projectors in)
Redo the exhaust with a removable tail pipe and a resonator or glass pack of sorts.

After that I'll toss my 3.5" springs in, some disco's and 33s. Then get the cage done. Hopefully in time for GSO 08.

jsteves
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to have someone spray the door for you, move your green cladding over and be done with it? I think the black looks fine but it just seems like a lot of work.

CANADIAN ZJ!
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
well if rockers and bumpers are going on the back burner until, lets say mid summer/fall...

I want to do exactly as you mentioned with the headlights, lets have a beer next week and make that a joint project

ILikeMud
01-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to have someone spray the door for you, move your green cladding over and be done with it? I think the black looks fine but it just seems like a lot of work.

I'm not going to do the paint. I'll likely have it painted once I it warms up a bit more.

well if rockers and bumpers are going on the back burner until, lets say mid summer/fall...

I want to do exactly as you mentioned with the headlights, lets have a beer next week and make that a joint project

I'd like to do the bumpers and rockers, just the cost of metal slows me down. Plus I need to get all of these issues solved.

Gimme a ring man. I've got my set up decided (Porsche Bi-Xenon Projectors, Hella Gen 3 ballasts) just want to figure out some sort of qusi water proof housing for the ballasts.
Might be buying some parts this week.

ILikeMud
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
For the record, the Kung Fu brakes uses a single diaphram booster from an 88 XJ. Now if I could just find one rebuilt for cheap....I'd get my brake upgrade done that much quicker.

Small update, got the new speakers in and replaced the fog light bulb so I can drive on country roads at night now. Gonna try some IPF 130w H3 bulbs in the Hellas see if that helps a bit more.

I've got ballasts on the way for the HID retrofit. Just need to locate some projectors and some new housings to put it all in. (Macka, still wanna sell yours?)

Waiting for a price on some weld in tubing bungs so I can start on making my beefed steering.
Going to run 1 ton TREs, flip the tie rod over the knuckle (I assume I'll drill and ream out the knuckle from the top correct?). Then get an Over The Axle bracket for the track bar and fab up a track bar, with a modified frame side bracket ala Kevin's Offroad. That should cover my steering.

After that I want to finish rebuilding the Turdy (wheel bearings, pass side ball joints, u jointed shaft in the pass side), finish the brake upgrade at the same time.

Also trying to figure out a way to get a manual sun roof in the thing, even if it's something I have to fab myself.

DanKNesS
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
damn i cant view the pics..... it say bandwidth exceeded and for you to upgrade... wierd maybe ill try later

SuicideTireZJ
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
No, Anthony you fucked up. Remove some of the guy porn you hosted on photobucket so we can see what really matters.

canadian_driver
01-28-2008, 04:32 PM
so you can see his lift kit on the table, crawl box... on the table... and absolutly nothing installed on the jeep? except some speakers... lol, comawn when are u gonna get started, ill help you any chance i get if u want, lol

ILikeMud
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
so you can see his lift kit on the table, crawl box... on the table... and absolutly nothing installed on the jeep? except some speakers... lol, comawn when are u gonna get started, ill help you any chance i get if u want, lol

I've been dragging my feet on starting the crawl box. Gonna start on it Wednesday morning.
The lift won't happen till I get some other shit fixed and get the crawl box in.

Not sure what happened with the pictures but all looks fine now.

ILikeMud
01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Alright, fixed the pictures. Went to Pro with Photofuckit.

Got my ballasts today:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Lighting/HID%20Retro/Ballasts001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Lighting/HID%20Retro/Ballasts002.jpg

ILikeMud
02-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Well I was supposed to have my parts from Ballistic Fab for my steering set up by now but for some reason my order wasn't shipped, joy.

Also, I think it's almost time to replace my rockers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Rockers001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Rockers002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Rockers003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Rockers004.jpg

SirFuego
02-10-2008, 12:47 AM
mmmm...rust. Those rockers look like mine did -- only they are undented...

DJJordache
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM
damn! I almost feel sorry for you northern guys with your rust! the only cars down here that have that much rust on them are in the junkyard.... and they are cars that are probably from up north:D

ILikeMud
02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
mmmm...rust. Those rockers look like mine did -- only they are undented...

Yea, I need to get some metal to replace them. I'd like it to be higher clearance then the usual rockers that hang down as much as stock.

ILikeMud
02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Yea, I called them after a week to find out where my stuff was. First it wasn't shipped and then it was. Not worried though, it's all here now.

I've got about 6ft of 2x4x1/4 steel tube. I need another 6ft piece for the other side. Need to find someone to weld it in for me. Will give me better clearance then the stock rockers. Will get pictures up once they are on.

Got my Ballistic Fab tube adapters for the new steering and track bar set up. Still need to order a flex joint and a bushing for the steering.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Steering/TubeAdapters001.jpg

And after drooling over pictures of Jerod's ZJ, I've decided to comp cut mine once the lift and tires go on. Shouldn't have as much plating to do since my gas tank won't be raised, yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/CompCut001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/CompCut002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/CompCut003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/CompCut004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/innerfenders001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/innerfenders002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/innerfenders003.jpg

Sure I'll only be on 33s but it'll still be sweet.

ILikeMud
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
No tech on this one, just made a lil cell phone holder. Wanted it out of my cup holder and visible at a quick glance (flashes when ringing).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ideas%20And%20Misc%20Pictures/CellPhoneHolder001.jpg

canadian_driver
02-12-2008, 11:52 AM
:withstup: :tease: :smt104 :gayflag: :gayflag: :gayflag: :gayflag: :punish: :poke:

jfowlzj95
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
That's some hardcore shit right there. :finga:

ILikeMud
02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Isn't it though?

I'm working with what is available to me, right now I've got to wait for more cash to buy more parts. It all takes time.
I hope to have it on 33s by the spring.

tywilson88
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
your going to do a comp cut for 33's?

why

ILikeMud
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Because I can.

Saves having to do it later.

SirFuego
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
why not? It makes a ton of ground clearance behind the tire. I'm rocking 31s and I've been thinking of doing it for a while -- mainly because the back of my passenger wheel well is almost completely rusted out.

aresridingflat
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
having all that room behind the tire isn't going to do much unless you stretch the hell out of the rear, and tuck your tank...

ILikeMud
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Which I will be doing later.

ILikeMud
02-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Alright, got some 1/4" 2x4 here that will be welded in place of my rockers. It will be braced to the 'frame' after I weld some c-channel on to act as stiffeners.

Of course, those braces won't be added till I buy my long arm kit and add that. I've decided to start whoring myself out so I can just buy some long arms now and have it done.

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Alright, I got off my ass and did some work this afternoon.

Started taking apart my 231 for the crawl box.
Had to clean up my messy ass work bench. My dad leaves shit all over, I swear I have 5 power drills, 2 of which actually work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case001.jpg

Then I started tearing it down, got the rear housing off and the only reason I stopped was because I couldn't get it separated with all the RTV on it, I didn't try to hard either. Plus I want to go over my FSM on tearing the T-Case down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case003.jpg

Worked on my rock sliders too, got one side trimmed to the angle I want and ready for welding the caps on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders004.jpg

Gonna cut out the caps and tack them on later tonight or tomorrow morning.

SirFuego
02-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Given how you angled your cuts, I take it that you are going to do the 2x4 vertical instead of horizontal? Or are you planning to sort of angle them?

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Nope, Horizontal.
That's how I wanted them, plus once some tube is on I'll have lots of protection.

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Block off plates cut out. Looks like shit because I have no cut off wheels so I had to use my sawzall. I'll spend most of tomorrow AM grinding them down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders005.jpg

Weld shots! Looking for comments, flames, laughs, etc.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders009.jpg

jfowlzj95
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Well... it's better than before... kinda. :smt016

ILikeMud
02-19-2008, 09:35 PM
lol.
I'm working on it. Every time I play with the thing I get better.

ILikeMud
02-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Got the T-Case all split in two, I'm done for tonight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case006.jpg

adam99wj
02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
i dont understand why you cut you end caps for the 2x4 way oversized?? is there a reason for that ?? if they were a 1/16 smaller than the end of the 2x4 it would look alot ptettier and weld alot easier , especially with that little welder your using ,
i think you should stop rushing things?? you could have waited till you got a few cutting wheels and a flapper or grinding discs and made a nice clean job of that

ILikeMud
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
It welded up fine.
I know I'll be doing a lot of grinding on this one. Next one will turn out nicer.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Just as a little advice, if you cut a smaller piece of the box tube you can slide into the hole and weld it shut. I don't know if that made sense, but it makes things ALOT easier and alot more flush.

OverkillZJ
02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
PREP YOUR WELDS! And it's easier to cut the piece before welding it on ;)

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
T-case is almost 100% disassembled. Just need to get the damn yoke nut off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case009.jpg

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Slider is done. Just need to weld it on to the truck and do the other side of course.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/Sliders011.jpg

The more fabbing I do, the more I want to do shit for myself now.

AprilzWarrior
02-22-2008, 12:25 AM
All the welder at the quarry say, welds dont need to be pretty cuz rocks dont have eyes. LOL

As long as it sticks who cares for sliders.

Looking good.

adam99wj
02-22-2008, 12:35 AM
All the welder at the quarry say, welds dont need to be pretty cuz rocks dont have eyes

yeah but for me its the pride factor, if i built something and it looks the shits, i still know its there even if no one else sees it, as Stacey David once said " Its all about the details"

ILikeMud
02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Still, you'll hardly see the shitty welds, I'll have to do better welds on the pipe steps.
I'm gonna take on the task of mounting these big fuckers all by myself. The more I fab stuff the more I want to do it myself.

Might do them Monday if it's not too cold, also going to start doing a front bumper too.

In regards to the sliders, to mount them I'll be cutting the pillars behind the rockers, now since I'm welding the sliders to the pillars, this should tie everything back in correct?
I want to wait on running supports to the frame until I get some frame rail sleeves on there.

ILikeMud
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Working on a bumper and some other shit this week.
No pictures because my camera is in Mexico.

ILikeMud
02-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Bumper material is all notched up. Need to pull off the factory bumper, do some cutting, line everything up, tack it up and then put the stock bumper back on till I get some material to finish the bumper.

Ordered a Warn winch plate which I'll pick up next weekend.

Tacked together my home made intake pipe, I'll finish welding it tomorrow.

Crawl box is ready to have the block off plate welded in, going to paint it over the weekend.

ILikeMud
03-01-2008, 10:58 PM
My ghetto home made intake tube. Pieced to together from 3" exhaust pipe I had sitting around. I could have ground down the welds but since it's under the hood (I'm not showing off my motor) I didn't bother.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Engine/Intake001.jpg

Bumper mounts notched up for the C-Channel. Once then winch plate gets her I'll make a cradle for it and start welding everything up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Bumpers/BumperMounts001.jpg

Decided to get some LED turn signals that I can flush into the bumper. Mainly because people can't fucking see worth a shit anyhow, might as well have something that gets a bit more attention when changing lanes. Plus the front signals are sequential :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/LEDs.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/LEDMarker.gif

I also got a great deal on a Ford 9" rear housing from an 80s Bronco (65ish WMS) should make a good rear axle.
Now I just need to decide if I should man up and buy an HP D60 for the front. I only plan to run 37s for the next long while!

ILikeMud
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Got the 9" housing home today.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ford%209/Ford9001.jpg

Started working on it, ground the spring perches off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ford%209/Ford9002.jpg

It is a big bearing 9" too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ford%209/Ford9003.jpg

Here it sits with the perches knocked off and after cleaning it up with a zip disk. Used some mineral spirits to clean the dust and dirt off and now it's ready for paint.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ford%209/Ford9004.jpg

canadian_driver
03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
hmm looks familliar

ILikeMud
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I knew I forgot something in that post.

Thanks to Joel (canadian driver for the deal on 9" housing.)

canadian_driver
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
lol didnt have to, but its appreciated

ILikeMud
03-04-2008, 06:24 PM
No worries.

Just ordered some Amsoil from Dirk.

ILikeMud
03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Got the 9" pretty much painted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Ford%209/Ford9005.jpg

Also got the T-case painted too....Bling Bling!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Crawl%20Box/T-Case011.jpg

adam99wj
03-04-2008, 10:52 PM
is that the hammered paint from crappy tire??? i used on on my 9" over a year ago and its still perfect , im going to POR 15 all my stuff and paint it with the hammered paint when i get around to it,

looks good , but why did you paint it with no brackets attached????

jfowlzj95
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold? Just wondering.

Lookin good though.

MoonWorks
03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok to prep the axle if needed to keep it from rusting between now and the time you burn the brackets on but I wouldn't want to coat it like you've done. As you know...you'll now have to sand it down, mount brackets and repaint it.

You should paint it to match your garage door! :)

ILikeMud
03-05-2008, 12:04 AM
is that the hammered paint from crappy tire??? i used on on my 9" over a year ago and its still perfect , im going to POR 15 all my stuff and paint it with the hammered paint when i get around to it,

looks good , but why did you paint it with no brackets attached????

Yup, Tremclad Hammered Grey.

Ok to prep the axle if needed to keep it from rusting between now and the time you burn the brackets on but I wouldn't want to coat it like you've done. As you know...you'll now have to sand it down, mount brackets and repaint it.

You should paint it to match your garage door! :)

Since the axle will be stored outside for a bit, I didn't want it to rust. Plus, 2 minutes with a flap disc and the paint it off. Then I burn the brackets on and touch it up.
Brackets are being cut by a local guy. I'll need a 3rd member to set pinion angle and then weld them on.

Also, the garage door is my dad's doing. I'm not a fan of it but it's not my house so...

Gold? Just wondering.

Lookin good though.

I had it sitting around but with the Hammered Grey on my axles and body armor plus gold on the diff covers/protection and calipers combined the color I'm planning to paint the truck it should all look pretty good.

DJJordache
03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
bling bling indeed!:bling:

ILikeMud
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
BAM!
Got me a HP D60 from an 01 F450. Thanks to Joel, again!
Pictures some time this weekend, maybe.

canadian_driver
03-08-2008, 12:22 AM
any other parts you need? while im running a wreckers, lol

aresridingflat
03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
that's a pretty sweet purple garage door you have there... fuckin' canucks.

ILikeMud
03-08-2008, 01:06 AM
any other parts you need? while im running a wreckers, lol

Nah, I'm good for now.

that's a pretty sweet purple garage door you have there... fuckin' canucks.

Not my house.

ILikeMud
03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Pictures = 1000 words!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/High%20Pinion%20D60%20Front%20Axle/HPD60Front001.jpg

SuicideTireZJ
03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
I see snow and rust, that all you got up north, eh?

ILikeMud
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
:finga:

I need to paint and clean it up.

SuicideTireZJ
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Nah, it'll just go back to looking like that in a couple weeks anyway. Nice score, what's it out of?

adam99wj
03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
does it have a square tube on the long side???

canadian_driver
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
its from an 01 f450 and the tube is a makeshift truss that the guy before him tried to make, he would be smart to remove it....

now tony

COME GET YOUR AXLE OF MY DAMN FARM

lol

ILikeMud
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
lol, farm boy.

Yea, I'm gonna harass Chris about picking the thing up today. As for that wanna be truss, it'll be lopped off.

ILikeMud
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Here's some better pics of the HP D60 because I have nothing else of importance to show off right now. Please ignore the funny/ugly looking truss the previous owner attempted to make, it will be replaced by something much beefier.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/High%20Pinion%20D60%20Front%20Axle/HPD60Front002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/High%20Pinion%20D60%20Front%20Axle/HPD60Front003.jpg

Hubs are already drilled to 8.5x6".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/High%20Pinion%20D60%20Front%20Axle/HPD60Front004.jpg

Got a line on my 14bolt, hopefully I'll pick that up in the next week or two.

jsteves
04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Pretty soon you will have a whole garage full of parts. Now get off your ass and get to work!

ILikeMud
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
If I had a garage to begin with.

I've got a lot more parts to buy before any serious wrenching happens. It's a DD still so I can't have it sitting in pieces.

I'm sick of the fucker being stock though, I might toss a BB and some new rubber on it.

MoonWorks
04-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Got a line on my 14bolt, hopefully I'll pick that up in the next week or two.

Thought you said you already had a 14 bolt.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188208#post188208

Post #35 I think it is.

ILikeMud
04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Yes, I've paid for the 14bolt, just need to pick the fucker up.

ILikeMud
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Well I pulled the cover off the 'D60' the other night, a post on Pirate drove me to do so. Imagine my surprise when this was staring me in the face.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Carrier2.jpg

That looks like a 44 carrier inside a 60 housing, WTF! Through the wisdom of Pirate I found out that this axle was indeed a HP D50 and not a D60 like I originally thought, D'OH! Listen learned, always pull the cover or run the BOM first.

Now I bought that axle from a friend and in his defense, he had no clue it was a D50 either. He had been told it was a D60 buy the guy he got it from and the guy he got it from told him it was a 60, confused yet? Am I. Anyhow we're working to correct this small hiccup.

Now thankfully, there is no such thing as D50 Cs and Knuckles, it'll all 60 stuff. The housing is 60 stuff but the carrier is this bastard step child D50 crap. Fear not, all is not lost.
I looked at my stock, made phone call to Jim @ Rock Spyder yesterday and worse case scenario, I'll be removing the knuckles and Cs from the D50 and then buying a Spidertrax housing and having Jim burn it back together to use stock 60 shafts. Then all I need is a True High 9 center section and I'll have a 609 front axle :D

SuicideTireZJ
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll be removing the knuckles and Cs from the D50 and then buying a Spidertrax housing and having Jim burn it back together to use stock 60 shafts. Then all I need is a True High 9 center section and I'll have a 609 front axle :D

I think that's the way to go anyway. Glad to see all is not lost.

jsteves
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
a lesson in why you open the cover of axles you buy.

adam99wj
04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
so another change in plans hey?????, why not just run the HP D50???

canadian_driver
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
yeah another change in plans, but i support this change, at least its not a completely diffrent direction, he's just making lemonaid out of lemons

SuicideTireZJ
04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
What the hell is a D50 anyway? It looks like they just didn't bother machining out the pumpkin as much as a 60 and threw in a small carrier, but what's the point?

ILikeMud
04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
What the hell is a D50 anyway? It looks like they just didn't bother machining out the pumpkin as much as a 60 and threw in a small carrier, but what's the point?

That's something to ask the Ford bean counters.

ILikeMud
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Well to keep me sane, I'm doing some smaller projects for now.
First one is to do something about my rear storage, I always hated having ammo boxes and shit. I wanted everything to have it's place.
I was at Princess Auto the other day (Canada's Habour Freight) and found this cargo hauler which clips into a hitch. Well I don't want it clipped in the hitch so I cut 3" out of the thing and now I can bolt it in above my rear seats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Storage/Rack001.jpg

The only reason it isn't in is because it's raining pretty heavy so.....I'll get it done over the weekend.

ILikeMud
04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Finally got the rack in and my gear in place.
Looking out the back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Storage/Rack003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Storage/Rack002.jpg
Those with a good eye will notice my e-fan sitting there, waiting on a few things to be delivered and then I'll get that installed.

The spare tire will have to go as once the air tank is there for OBA, I'll have no room for the tire so a tire carrier/bumper is in the plans.

Next time I update this the Shit Missile will be wearing some armor, a 2" lift and some 33s.

CANADIAN ZJ!
04-15-2008, 09:55 AM
nice storage solution, still got enough room for a cooler under there?

so is it just self tapped into the sheet metal?

ATL ZJ
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice COG raiser there floppasaurus rex.

canadian_driver
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM

it'll never flop, needs to be atleast lifted to do that or offroaded

ILikeMud
04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
nice storage solution, still got enough room for a cooler under there?

so is it just self tapped into the sheet metal?

Bolted into the sides with M10 hardware. Cooler will have to go in the back seat, as an air tank will go were the spare tire is.

How? There's maybe 50lbs of gear there. I doubt it did much to my COG.

it'll never flop, needs to be atleast lifted to do that or offroaded

Excuse me? This coming from Mr. 7" lift on 31s and stock axles?
When was the last time you wheeled? And I'm not talking about driving through the snow, your farm field or hopping a curb at school.

canadian_driver
04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
yesterday actually, and at least i have a axles and tires waiting to be put on

ILikeMud
04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
For like 2 years.

MoonWorks
04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah it might raise the co a little but my major concern is that its not held down by much. You wouldn't have to be off camber much or a nice shift in weight from one side to the other and that crap is going to be through your window.

ILikeMud
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah it might raise the co a little but my major concern is that its not held down by much. You wouldn't have to be off camber much or a nice shift in weight from one side to the other and that crap is going to be through your window.

I'll be doing something about that later in the week.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-20-2008, 03:49 PM

LMAO!

BTW why are you adding a 2" bb if you have some big one ton build planned? Is this thing ever going to actually be built?

ILikeMud
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
LMAO!

BTW why are you adding a 2" bb if you have some big one ton build planned? Is this thing ever going to actually be built?

I rather buy a house first.
I want to wheel the thing before building it bigger also.

ILikeMud
04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Besides as long as I have it built before Dirk, I'm golden.

DJJordache
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Besides as long as I have it built before Dirk, I'm golden.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooh BURN!:D

ILikeMud
04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
In Dirk's defense, I know what it's like and I can only see it getting worse for my Jeep from here on in lol.
So many more important things to spend money on first.

pipehitter155
04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
nice name for your project....guess you could find your own so you had to copy mine:smt023

ILikeMud
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Ha!

Actually, not sure how I came up with the name but then I saw your build so...the name will change once I think of something better.

SirFuego
04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Ha!

Actually, not sure how I came up with the name but then I saw your build so...the name will change once I think of something better.

The Neverstarting Project :finga:

canadian_driver
04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
call it excuses

ILikeMud
04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
fuck you college boy!

Neverending Excuse Rust Bucket.....

That said things are slowly happening.
One step forward, 10 steps back.

AgitatedPancake
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
NERB. I like it.

BigDaveZJ
04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
FAIL.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9891

Jsk8r1
04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
FAIL.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9891

Hahahahahaha :rofl:

ILikeMud
04-24-2008, 11:51 PM
It's Jerad's fault.

ILikeMud
04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
There!
It's now the Rust Bucket since that's what the fucker is.
This will get an update some time over the summer, till then...

ILikeMud
05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Been a while since I've updated this but ol Rusty is sporting a few lil changes.
First thing I did was add a trans temp gauge plus a bigger cooler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Gauges/TransTemp.jpg

Cut my stock rusty ass rockers out and welded in some new 2x4x1/4" tube rockers. Still have to brace them to the frame but that will wait till I do my Clayton's kit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/RockerSliders001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/RockerSliders002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/RockerSliders003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/RockerSliders004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/93%20Grand%20Cherokee/Rockers/RockerSliders005.jpg

They stick out maybe an inch or two from the doors. I'm gonna take it to Rock Spyder and have Jim burn some tube on as steps and a little more protection.

SirFuego
05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Did you weld those to the pillars?

ILikeMud
05-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Yup, just like yours.

SirFuego
05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I hope it's not JUST like mine. My welds suck.