PDA

View Full Version : tunes

BigDaveZJ
10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
We're thinking about upgrading the stereo in Pam's ZJ. It's a 98 Limited, got the Infinity setup with the steering wheel controls. I know there used to be an Alpine-made setup that could retain those, is that still the only option, or is it even an option at all anymore? Also, how does one set the clock on the VIC once an aftermarket deck is in place?

We're looking at duplicating (in function at least, not necessarily brand) the setup I have in my truck, which is a Panasonic HU, with an expansion module that controls my iPod and an external Sirius tuner through the HU. Basically the iPod and the SAT tuner are all tucked away out of sight under the dash, and everything can be controlled through the deck and the SQ is high as everything is directly connected without any craptastic FM modulators.

SuicideTireZJ
10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I'd like to be more helpful, but this is the best I can do.

Ditch the VIC and throw in a CB. WAY better use of space, honestly. Then look at some Audiobahn head units, I've got mine direct hooked into my iPod and XM antenna, and everything is controlled with the remote. I'm with you, the SQ is pretty lacking with a iTrip or likewise. As far as the steering wheel controls go, i can't help you.

redline61
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I didn't know that you set the clock with the stock head unit. I don't have a stereo at all and I set the date and time with the VIC. I have a Panasonic in my Wifes XJ and love it. It is a little older but it has XM, MP3, and everything else I need. I was a little worried at first about the electronic face but it seems to be hold tough. The feature it has that I really like is a "All Display Off" that turns all the lights off. The screen goes black, really nice for long road trips at night. Also it has a feature that allows you to take as much of the low notes out of the speakers as you want. I love this. No distortion at all. It is a CQ C801U. Really recommend it. Good luck, and if you sell your stock HU let me know. Thanks

jfowlzj95
10-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Were there different VICs for different models? I've always set the VIC clock through the VIC.

BigDaveZJ
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Were there different VICs for different models? I've always set the VIC clock through the VIC.

Maybe ya do? I dunno, I can't remember how you set it.

jfowlzj95
10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah if you set it through the VIC all you gotta do is when the clock/date is showing, hold down 'set' until the clock flashes.

Then use the set button to change whatever digit is flashing and select will move on to the next digit/day/month/etc.

I haven't had to set mine in a while but I'm pretty sure thats how it went.

BigDaveZJ
10-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Sounds about right. I've got the "doesn't tell you squat" VIC in my ZJ, so I've never paid attention to it. Mine has only told me I'm in front wheel drive.

DND
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Here you go Dave - http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SWI-ALP-SWI-JACK-ALPINE-STEERING-WHEEL-INTERFACE_W0QQitemZ120172321332QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 60208QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I used this in my 98 with an Alpine 9861 - works perfectly. Can't help with the VIC as mine is now a switch panel.

DerekL
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Crutchfield makes a little kit that can retain those steering wheel controls with any head unit there is a little bit of extra wiring involved, i've got an alpine 9883 in mine and love it.

DJJordache
10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
IIRC PAC makes an adapter to keep the steering controls.
as far as a good value cd/mp3/ipod controller/usb hookup I would get the Pioneer Premier P690UB (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_338834008,00.html) can do Sirius also.

CurtP
10-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Where do you want me to start?

VIC - once you unplug the HU from the CCD bus, the clock in the VIC can be set manually. You don't have to change anything. You can even try it by unplugging the two-wire connector from the back of her current HU.

Steering wheel controls - you can retain them, at least to a certain extent. As long as the radio you choose has an IR sensor on it, you're golden. PAC also offers adapters for HU's that have wired remote inputs, but they don't seem to work very well. There are issues though - at least from what I've seen. Some adapters just don't work. Some will send the command multiple times with each button push. Some have horrible latency. Some will experience more than one of these issues at a time. If you can find one that allows you to make adjustments to the parameters (I believe the PAC one does), then you should be able to tweak it to work reliably.

HU - take your pick. I opted to go a different route on the 5.9. I didn't like any of the aftermarket radios except the ones from Becker. Can't get a Becker over here anymore - at least not for a reasonable price. I started to look at other options and ended up using a newer round-corner Chrysler HU. I lost steering wheel controls, which was a big deal when I first installed it, but became less and less of an issue over time. I don't even care anymore and am actually looking for a new steering wheel without the radio controls.

To do a standard round-corner HU, you don't even have to do any hacking of the dash bezel. There are even instructions on how to install the RB1 using a ECM out of a WJ (but the dash bezel will have to be trimmed). And most of these factory HU's will control the iPod/aux input integration kit, OEM Sirius and aftermarket XM setups too.

If you do go with an aftermarket radio, pay attention to your 1.5 to 1 DIN adapter plate. Some are made considerably better than others. The ones Crutchfield carries are usually very nice, but I haven't seen their kit for the ZJ. I'd make sure you fabricate some sort of support for the back of the radio too - something that most people don't bother to do.