PDA

View Full Version : rear currie axle brakes

jjunk
10-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I am in need of some advise.

I have a currie 9 inch rear in my Grand. was there when I bought it. Most of you know my grand from long ago I bought it from a kid in arizona that used to work for kevins off road. Before that a guy in california. He was the one that built it up with this rear end.

Well I am haveing a major problem with the rear brakes. I need pads and shoes for it. There Lies the problem.

I called currie to find out what brake shoe and pads they use on there axles and was told they were for a 97 to 2001 explorer. pads and shoes for the e-brake.

Today I went and bought them. The ebrake shoe match perfectly But the pads don't at all. The pads are skinnier than the pads I have and the piston hole is smaller than what the pad would fit. They mount at the same spot but will not work NO HOW and NO WAY.

Is there another style for these brake. from the piston can I tell what its from. How am I going to find out. what pads to get.

HELP and PISSED OFF.

thanks

paulkeith
10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
kind of a long shot, but can you see any part numbers or etched numbers on the backing plates of the pads that fit? if you spend enough time in your local parts store to be buddy with the people in there, you could explain the situation and see if they'll let you in the back to compare what you've got to boxed shit. I know there are a lot of options, but you could try.

edit: 100 posts.

jjunk
10-16-2007, 08:09 PM
ok today I am confused. I took back the explorer brake pads and asked for 97 grand cherokee pads for the rear end and they matched to the old one. whats up with this .

BigDaveZJ
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Could be that when Chris built the rig he just used stock ZJ calipers? The old JU threads are so long gone there's no way to find out for sure short of calling Chris L and asking him.

adam99wj
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
id say thats what he dont , he used a 9" housing and just swapped the zj disc brakes over , alot of ppl do that im pretty sure

ever since i started building my heap i am keep a build sheet of all the non WJ parts that are into it , it will make it easier for the next guy that gets it if i go to sell, this would be a good thing to do if you are getting ready to sell your rig

jjunk
10-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Yes your write on that dave. I just took a guess today and got it write.

With all the talk about useing explorer brakes I over thought the problem.