PDA

View Full Version : '99 Wj, future still undecided

gritz
10-10-2007, 08:39 AM
This is my first post and I thought I'd start off by letting everyone know that this site rocks. I've got a stock WJ and when I get back home (currently overseas), I'm going to start building it up. I don't think I'll be going to the extremes that some of you guys are, but I want to be a little more capable off-road. Here's a couple pics. I'll update when I get home and have some more (and better) pics to share. I'll have a lot of maintenance to do, but then it's open waters from there (it's paid off, woo hoo!). I'm doing my research before I start tearing into it too much though. I'm all about planning.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/frontofthejeep.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/sideofthejeep.jpg

Laters.

Jsk8r1
10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Whats up, I'm currently overseas too but I have less than 2 weeks left! I'll be back in Tucson soon so when you get back let me know, your not to far from me. Stay safe out here:smt066

wonder371
10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
my peice of advice. If you go over 2" of lift. Go long arms. I had a nightmare with shortarms.

-b

dangerousdave
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
yeah... i started with spacer then i went to adj. short arms..... go on and go long now. you will later so save the money go to 4" with long arms that way you can still go taller when you want to

DerekL
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Don't go huge first, it's like strapping a jet back to a retard, he'll be on his head before too long.

dangerousdave
10-10-2007, 07:51 PM
im not saying go huge just get a kit that can be easily upgraded.

adam99wj
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
id say get claytons long arms and a set of 4" coils and run some 32s , at least that way the long arms will always be there , and you wont waste money buying 1 or 2 sets of arms over time

dangerousdave
10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
right on

gritz
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey, thanks guys. I was planning on getting some long arms right away. That's the one thing I've seen a lot of is guys having to change set ups over and over and waste their money. I'm never going to make this thing huge being that it's a 4.0. I've got to get 15 month's worth of maintenance done when I get back before I do anything too much. I'm going to start by getting gauges and start planning for lift. I'm thinking I'll get some steelies wrapped in M/T retreads so swap on for off-road use. I'll get full a list of my future mods up here as soon as I can, but I only get a few minutes of PC time and that's usually spent with my wife. Yall that have been over to the big sandbox know what that's like.

Jsk8r1, you stay safe yourself. You AF? At DM in Tuscon? I'll get with you when I get all settled in and stuff so we can go wheeling.

I'm getting a trans temp gauge for sure, what other gauges should I get for this thing? Thanks again, guys.

gritz
12-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok, time to update. Not that this is a very exciting build or very fast going build, but it's mine. I'm still working on getting all my maintenance done after getting home. I've fixed my headlights, changed all the fluids and filters, and did a basically full tune-up. I'm in the process of diagnosing two leaks, one on the transfer case and the other on the engine block (possibly CPS or plenum gasket). I'm still undecided on what to go with on my lift. It doesn't look like I'm going to have the funds to go to long arms right away, so I'm wondering if I should wait until i can afford it or get everything but the long arms and settle for 2.5 or 3" of lift instead of the 4" I was originally planning for. Well, there it is for anyone who is wondering. Happy holidays guys.

Firestarter
12-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Ok, time to update. Not that this is a very exciting build or very fast going build, but it's mine. I'm still working on getting all my maintenance done after getting home. I've fixed my headlights, changed all the fluids and filters, and did a basically full tune-up. I'm in the process of diagnosing two leaks, one on the transfer case and the other on the engine block (possibly CPS or plenum gasket). I'm still undecided on what to go with on my lift. It doesn't look like I'm going to have the funds to go to long arms right away, so I'm wondering if I should wait until i can afford it or get everything but the long arms and settle for 2.5 or 3" of lift instead of the 4" I was originally planning for. Well, there it is for anyone who is wondering. Happy holidays guys.

Welcome back home, thank you for your service :D

I am at about 2.5" on short arms, and the ride is firmer, but tolerable.

You should look into the claytons front LA package. I believe he offers a bare-bones front-only kit for the WJ (which means you have to supply your own shocks and coils IIRC) for 900 bucks. Thats what you really need at 4". The rear end "should" be fine with just adjustable short-arms at that height.

jsteves
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Look around for used stuff. I bought a used lift for my Jeep used it for a couple years and sold it for what I paid. Sure I put some new bushings and whatever into it but I really did not waste any money. Then when the chance came I jumped and bought Clayton's...money very well spent.

And, welcome back!

gritz
12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys. Right now I'm gearing up to replace my head gasket, so I'm not going to be messing with height just yet. I'll have to look out for a used lift though. I never thought of that. Thanks again.

gritz
04-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, I figured I'd post again on here to give an update of what all I've done since the last time I posted (not much has happened). I did the clear headlight mod (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494045) and changed out my headgasket (which killed my lift fund almost entirely). I've just been doing maintenance stuff thus far and started planning out my lift in more detail. I'm still undecided on whether to go with Clayton LA's or IRO LA's. Well, here's an updated pic.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/S5030984-1.jpg

Hopefully part that stimulus check from the government can be put into the lift fund, I'll have to see what the boss says.

Rangerwj
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
jeeps are pretty capable even stock. Im running a 2.5" and 31s and i can go almost anywhere i point it without body damage. however going with the more medium lift opens better options for future upgrades. any way you go i think you will be satisfied.

CanadaDry
05-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Go with Claytons, the more you read the more you will know it is the best option.

boulderchild
05-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't have any experience with the Iron rock long arms, but they have been great to deal with any time I have needed anything. If you have the cash to go with claytons they are definitely worth it, I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. hope that helps

gritz
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Well, it's been a long time since my last post in here, but I've done a descent amount of tinkering on the Jeep. I've added a CB and lights, which were nice cheap projects that kept me busy while not spending to much. I also added a brake controller and changed the hitch on the back to the stock version as compared to the after-market that hangs down super low. I also added tow hooks and ordered a budget boost. The budget boost is not installed yet because I need to get a house first. I just moved to Maryland, so that has taken a lot of time from me. As soon as I get a house, I'm going to install the lift and get all my maintenance out of the way. Then I'm going to totally redo the wiring of all the auxiliary components I've added because there are wires running everywhere and I need to cut out the clutter in my cab too.

Here's a couple pics to update. This was awhile ago, the Jeep got some water up it's nose.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/IMG_0431.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/IMG_0434.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/IMG_0436.jpg

I'll add a couple more pics when I get a chance and especially when I get the lift installed.

nierace
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Get a locker and some MT's for next time :P

Everyone loves the mud until they have to clean it or 3 months later their alternator is dead :D

gritz
01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Get a locker and some MT's for next time :P

Everyone loves the mud until they have to clean it or 3 months later their alternator is dead :D

Traction wasn't the problem, the intake manifold filled to the brim with muddy water was why I had to fish for my tow hooks. A locker would be nice, but right now I need to get some armor and get all my electrical crap figured out after I get new brakes and fix all the random stuff that needs work like my pass side CV shaft.

BTW the clean up was real hell after all that, take a look at this video.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/th_MVI_0437.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/?action=view&current=MVI_0437.flv)

AgitatedPancake
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah I sunk my WJ to the top of the cladding in a local lake, I tore out the interior and steam cleaned the carpet to clean it up.

MoonyJohn
01-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Atleast you were having a good time. Any lift plans?

gritz
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Atleast you were having a good time. Any lift plans?

It was a lot of fun, the wife had a good time too......until she had 4-5 inches of water under her feet. I have a 2.5" budget boost, but I haven't gotten a chance to put it on yet because we just moved and we haven't found a house yet. That will be put on first thing once we get a house.

hkszx2
01-26-2009, 03:55 AM
well when you get the lift on and some real tires there is a trail right across the PA border I wheel at . We could go , and tell your wife there isnt any mud around lol

gritz
01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
well when you get the lift on and some real tires there is a trail right across the PA border I wheel at . We could go , and tell your wife there isnt any mud around lol

Yeah, I'll hit ya up when I get all settled in. I am supposed to be in a house this week, so then I'll hopefully get a chance to put the lift on next week. I don't have a budget for tires yet, but hopefully I can start looking into that once I get my tax return. I'm looking at prolly getting some really cheap meats and wheels so I can swap back and forth.

gritz
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, well I've gotten the BB installed since last time on here. I really like it, but the rear actually ended up having a lift of about 3" and the front 2.5". I ordered some UC springs from Kolak and that should fix my problem. I really think that will make the Jeep look so much better. I'll definitely post pics up of that. I still haven't got new tires for the Jeep yet, but maybe soon. I think after I get the front lifted a bit more with the UC springs I'll be able to fit 33's or at least some 285/75/16's (just under 33"). I'll have some more stuff to post up here before too long. This as all I have ordered/ have the parts for right now:

UC Springs for front
Kevins Shock mount kit
Fuse block (to get all of my wires and fuses cleaned up and easily accessable)
Parts to make homebrew quick discos
Enough metal for making extended bump stops.

Here's a pic of my Jeep as it sits right now with the BB on.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/S5031232.jpg

gritz
03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh, yeah. I also installed a bored throttle body and Rusty's Air intake. I really like the set-up. I gained 1 MPG by adding those. I was quite impressed.

gritz
03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Has anybody ran these tires?

http://treadwright.com/Tires-265_75R16_OTR_S-P104.aspx

I think these are what I'm going to get, but those little bars in the middle of the tread are just screaming "really bad road drone!" Can anybody tell me if I'm correct on that, or totally wrong.

Fesnak
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
id say get claytons long arms and a set of 4" coils and run some 32s , at least that way the long arms will always be there , and you wont waste money buying 1 or 2 sets of arms over time

I'm in the same boat...
I'm sitting at 4" recently bought 32" tires haven't installed them tho (probably wont fit with 16x8 steeles and stock control arms).
I could buy claytons long arms, 4 front jks short arms, iro front long arms etc.
I will probably go with claytons cause I know I will go 6" coils in a year or so.... just dont want to weld anything or cut the stock control arms off yet

gritz
03-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm in the same boat...
I'm sitting at 4" recently bought 32" tires haven't installed them tho (probably wont fit with 16x8 steeles and stock control arms).
I could buy claytons long arms, 4 front jks short arms, iro front long arms etc.
I will probably go with claytons cause I know I will go 6" coils in a year or so.... just dont want to weld anything or cut the stock control arms off yet

I'd say you''ll be fine. I had 31's with no lift only minor rubbing. 4" o lift, you can definitely run 32's no problem.

BTW Welcome to the forum.

gritz
03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Well, my latest addition to the heep turned out to be a disaster. I was making some quick discos and had just about gotten everything all finished up. I had rotated my swaybar and endlink up away from the axle so that I could do some work there. After I was done, I tried pulling the endlink back down, but it was being stubborn, so I started pulling pretty hard. Well it came loose real quick and when it did I happened to pinch/smash my finger in between the endlink and the axle bracket for the endlink. I saw the white meat, so I threw all my shit back in the garage nad when my wife got back (she had just run down the stree for a minute) we went on to the hospitol. 5 stitches (6 if you count the artery I ripped in half) later I now have this instead of discos.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/Hand.jpg

Now I can hardly even use my right hand for at least a week and I've got a bunch of parts coming for the Jeep. It's gonna drive me crazy to look at parts all week and know I can't put them on.:mad:

gritz
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Ok, now to update again. I went ahead and did a write-up on my swaybar discos over on JF. Here's the link.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752777

I have the following ordered:

- UC Springs
-JKS Trackbar
-Old Man Emu Steering Stabilyzer (spelling?)
-Random filters and a few other little trinkets

I'm also currently working on some cosmetic stuff right now. I took my rocker panel covers off last night, sanded, painted and now waiting for awhile. I found a nice spot of rust on one of my rocker panels, so I've got to fix that before I can put the covers back on. Here's a picture of the rocker P. covers as they sit.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/Cladding/Painted.jpg

I'm going to put some herculiner on them before I put them back on to try and keep the rock chips and such to a minimum. I'm going to be gone on business on and of for the next couple weeks, so a lot of the work on the Jeep is probably going to have to wait for awhile. The springs and now the rocker panel now have top priority. I'll have to wait to do things like redo all my auxillary wiring later.

gritz
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Ok, a couple new additions. I added my UC springs in the front and leveled it out nicely. I also added a JKS trackbar and an OME SS. I still don't have the front all buttoned up yet. I'm having a really hard time getting the trackbar adjusted because I have found that I have a bad TRE, so I'll try and replace that this weekend. I've also addeed some bigger lights on top of the Jeep. I think they look a little better than the tiny ones I had up there. Here's the pics.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/lifted1.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/blovingier/liftwed2.jpg

Now I just need to find some cheap meats and start saving up for my axles, long arms, and a stroker kit and wheeling the piss out of it in the mean time.