PDA

View Full Version : Gear whine on newly setup axle

Ted_Z
10-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I set up some used 4.11' s on a 44A. Previous gear owner said they only had ~8k miles. Backlash is .007", carrier preload and pinion preload within spec, new pinion bearings, carrier bearings in good shape. Below is a pic of the gear pattern. Drive looks good, coast is a bit on the toe side, but still reasonable.

I'm getting a whine coming in at about 40mph (not a growl, just a whine). I've been babying the throttle since I swapped in the new axles the past weekend (HP30 and this 44A). Maybe 30 miles total since the swap. Whine is only when my foot is on the gas. If I'm coasting there is no noise.

I know 44a's like to whine, but my old 44a was definetly quieter. My only thought is that the previous owner didn't have a good set up so they wore funny, or I missed something in my set up. I'm tempted to see it it gets better after some break in or swich to synthtic lube oil and see if that makes a difference.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8821/imgp0216aq9.jpg

OverkillZJ
10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
44a's should only have bearing whine, if that, and nothing more... I've never set gears in a 44a, but I've also never had much luck with resetting gears in any axle...

MoonWorks
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Even if the previous owner had only 8k on the gears...that's plenty of time to wear the pattern in good. Before you set them...what did his pattern look like? Either way, your set it going to be different and I agree with you that that could be where some of your noise is from. I would run synthetic lube (that's all I ever run).

With the bearings...you said that only the pinion bearings were new and the carrier bearings were ok. Did you not replace them during the setup? Like overkill said, I haven't ever setup a 44a (yet) but I would imagine the set would be similar to your 30 where the shims go behind the bearings requiring you to remove the carrier bearings. If so, you generally always stretch the bearing cage when you press them off.

Ted_Z
10-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I have no idea what the previous pattern looked like.

The 44A uses shims like the Rubi 44. Thick shims on the outside of the carrier bearings (so I didn't have to take the bearings off the carrier). I guess you could also put shims under the bearings if you had them available. I had a couple set of outside shims to play with so I was able to come up with a set that was within a couple thousandths of the original pair's total thickness to maintain the carrier preload.

Ted_Z
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I added a closer pic of the gear pattern. Also I rebuilt the trac-lok so that could also be a source of the noise.

ArloGuthroJeep
10-04-2007, 08:26 PM
There are spacers which sit on the outside of the carrier bearings and then there are shims which sit between the carrier bearings and the carrier (meant for fine tuning).

I had a whine when above 40mph and coasting.

This was my pattern:
http://arlojeep.com/Misc-Pics//D44a-Gear-Pattern-8-29-07/Weberized/IMG_2265_resize.JPG

http://arlojeep.com/Misc-Pics//D44a-Gear-Pattern-8-29-07/Weberized/IMG_2268_resize.JPG

Since I didn't set the gear pattern (bought the axle already regeared to 4.56) and didn't know the installer I opted to get a new master install kit and new gears. Reset the gears and replaced the bearings...took the whine away.

You can pull off the carrier bearings, with a bearing puller...w/o damaging or stretching the cage. Just keep the outer race on the bearings and it'll prevent the cage from being damaged.