PDA

View Full Version : '98 Laredo SE, Hasn't earned a name yet

DLoweinc
09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Just got my first grand and I must say I'm excited. Bought a 98 laredo with 140k on it and I ready to drop some cash on this thing to get it wheelable.

I just sold my 2000 wrangler to move up to a grand and am missing a vehicle with 35"s sitting in my driveway.

Few questions before I start spending...

Is kevin's offroad longarm kit the same as clayton's?

Is clayton's still the best if I'm going to 35"s or 37"s?

I'm going to be going with a front dana 44 and rear 60 from a dodge pickup, they are already geared 4.10, does the 5.2 v8 have enough power to push 35's/37's with only 4.10's or am I going to need to go to 4.56's?

Should be a lot of posting from my in the immediate future, and I'll try to do some writeups and take lots of pictures along the way.

I'm just stoked to now have air conditioning, a v8, leather seats, seat heaters, storage room!, and a more comfortable ride all waiting for me on my next wheelin' trip...

p.s. thanks in advance for any replies

tywilson88
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Just got my first grand and I must say I'm excited. Bought a 98 laredo with 140k on it and I ready to drop some cash on this thing to get it wheelable.

I just sold my 2000 wrangler to move up to a grand and am missing a vehicle with 35"s sitting in my driveway.

Few questions before I start spending...

Is kevin's offroad longarm kit the same as clayton's?

Is clayton's still the best if I'm going to 35"s or 37"s?

I'm going to be going with a front dana 44 and rear 60 from a dodge pickup, they are already geared 4.10, does the 5.2 v8 have enough power to push 35's/37's with only 4.10's or am I going to need to go to 4.56's?

Should be a lot of posting from my in the immediate future, and I'll try to do some writeups and take lots of pictures along the way.

I'm just stoked to now have air conditioning, a v8, leather seats, seat heaters, storage room!, and a more comfortable ride all waiting for me on my next wheelin' trip...

p.s. thanks in advance for any replies
with 35 or 37 i would go with 4.88 or more, and claytons and kevins is not the same, both good kits, but as stated in other threads, kevins is the way to go

Jsk8r1
09-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Well first off... Eat Shit Welcome to MC:flipoff2:
As for the lift question...Kevins and Claytons are not the same and I believe Kevin doesnt even sell his kit anymore and now sells Claytons kit. So if choosing between the rest of the long arm kits on the market I would suggest going with Claytons as many others on here will also suggest. You will be fine on 35s or 37s with Claytons kit as well.

Gearing seems to be more of a personal preference, I have the 4.0 so I'm putting in 4.56 gears to run 33s. I think you should be alright with the 4.10s and the v8 but I'm sure someone else on here with that setup can hook you up with that answer.

Have fun putting all your money into a ZJ and be sure to post up pics along the way!

Nick
09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I have 4.0 with 4.10 and 35's it isent to bad. If you already got the gear in the axles I would stick with them if you dont like it you can always change them.

DLoweinc
10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I was figuring i'd see how the 4.10's are with the 35's, I can just wait a little to lock the axles until I see how much power I get to the wheels with that tire size/ gear ratio.

Fortunately I'm not new to jeeps, just to a grand.. I owned a 2000 wrangler that was lifted/locked etc and have helped a few friends lift their Xj's and one ZJ (RE short arms w/32's).

The reason I was asking about Kevin's and Clayton's lifts is because it seems Kevin's Offroad sells the Clayton lift now and not his own, that is why I was asking if they were one and the same.

I'll start using the search as there is an assload of info here...

and to the Eat Shit comment... I thought that most people got that out of their systems on the pirate forums :smt075

but in an effort to fit in here... Eat shit and suck my balls :smt066

victory
10-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow someone semi local! I am in sf a lot... so if you need some help, let me know...

DLoweinc
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Wow someone semi local! I am in sf a lot... so if you need some help, let me know...

I live in the east bay, in Martinez.

I've gotta replace the rear main seal on my new grand so if you are up for it, i'll buy the beer and we can wrench :)

DLoweinc
02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
No pics but I'm just now getting to replacing the rear main seal. My wedding is sucking all my jeep money up and with the wedding being in two weeks I'm just hoping to complete the rear main seal job and clean the Grand up underneath so I have a baseline to work with. This thing has had a lot of leaks and I want to know if I have any new ones!

My dodge axles fell through so I picked up a HP44 and a 9" rear from a 70's ish Ford. The are both drum brakes so I know I have weld on radius arm wedges, I'm going to try and get them cleaned up etc in the next few days.

:coffee:

ILikeMud
02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Clayton long arms, especially since they got that fancy belly skid now.
Also, please don't lift the thing sky high or be afaird to trim the fenders.

zj95maxx
02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
BELLY SKID!!??!!?

where!!!?

zj95
02-18-2008, 01:17 AM
BELLY SKID!!??!!?

where!!!?

check their website nube... :smt016

DLoweinc
02-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Clayton long arms, especially since they got that fancy belly skid now.
Also, please don't lift the thing sky high or be afaird to trim the fenders.

Well after seeing some ZJ wheeling videos on youtube I've noticed that they tend to get pretty top heavy once they go 7" or more. That really isn't what I'm looking for. I am thinking of using RE 5.5" springs right now because in my experience they don't sag much (if at all) over time.

I'm leaning toward the T&T long arm kit at the moment because I like their trusses (comes with a rear truss for your axle application, but you have to buy the front truss) and I like the frame stiffener & belly skid that they have. I know Clayton has one too now and right now I'm just trying to determine what else I would need to get to "complete" either kit and then compare prices.

BTW, I know I'll be trimming and am curious what your definition of "sky high" is. I've had a jeep on 35"s with around 7" of lift before... I'm not a noob, I have that going for me

Hurricane 4x4
02-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome to MC. There is a recent thread on here about 33's and 3.73's with a V8 and the consensus is that it works just fine. I'm running that setup too and I agree. With that in mind I think 4.10's and 35's should work well. Gearing might be a little tall but the v8 can push you around just fine. The tranny might be working a little harder though so make sure you add a cooler if your jeep didn't come with one.

You shouldn't have to trim a ton either. I think 5.5" and longarms with 35's would be a great setup. Some guys on here have fit 35's with as little as 4" lift but that is cutting it a little close. I think one guy here is even running 2" of lift with 35's but that is definitely the exception.

Also if your jeep came with the 249 transfer case (all time) you will probably want to swap it out for a 242 or 231. The swap is pretty straightforward and cheap if you find a good junkyard. There are a bunch of good write-ups here on that so search em out.

Eat shit,
~Ren

*edit* and good work on moving from a wrangler to the zj. When I sold my old ZJ I was torn between getting another grand or switching over to wrangler. But I just couldn't go to the other side. Having a Big Ass jeep with a V8 and cushy seats is just way better

zj95
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
My zj has the 5.2, 4.10s and 34's right now.. its a dog...

It does fine in town but on the highway or goin up hills it dogs, and overheated with factory cooling stuff.

ALL of my driveing is highway at a 7% incline/decline, and the jeep is absolutly HORRIBLE, I try not to drive it if I can..

I had some tires on it before that measured to 32's and they were the same. I dont see how anyone can say 3.73's and 33's is good, or how 4.10s and 35's is good... I HATE IT!!

Im goin to 4.56 someday, maybe 4.88s if I go with different axles.

Hurricane 4x4
02-19-2008, 02:42 AM
I had some tires on it before that measured to 32's and they were the same. I dont see how anyone can say 3.73's and 33's is good, or how 4.10s and 35's is good... I HATE IT!!

Im goin to 4.56 someday, maybe 4.88s if I go with different axles.

Mine is really fine on 3.73's and 33's. Gas MPG on the highway is still pretty good. It can climb hills at highway speed even with 3 dirtbikes, 3 guys and gear. Its lost some acceleration for sure but it still feels like a good v8.

zj95
02-19-2008, 02:50 AM
we'll see if swappin my worn out 5.2 with my newer one helps.. i hope it does

rtingdds
02-19-2008, 05:01 AM
the gear ratio will depend on your add ons.
If you use long arms, wench, metal bumper front & rear, roof rack and steal wheels with D44 fornt & D60 rear, full size spare. You have to have 4.88.
Those add ons weight ~600LB plus. It's like 3 big guys seating in your ZJ all the time. I have the set up and 4.88 is barely enough. I have to turn of my overdrive all the time with slight up hills. If you are just going to have short arms lift and 33" tires with none of the goodies, 4.10 is fine.
I am not guessing, I know what it takes because I am using it. By the way, 37" is going to be very tuff to fit under a ZJ without lifting it way in the air.
Just to pass on the message. My mechanic (4 X Doctor in Burbank CA) said he did Kevin, Clayton & RE long arm kits before. RE kits are more professionally built, the other kits look like garage made. Hey, don't kill the messenger, personally I never see Clayton's or the discontinued Kevin's kits before (With the group I wheel with, I am the only guy with lift ZJ) & I really hated RE customer service and will not recommend RE to anyone for that reason. :o

DLoweinc
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
No pics but I finally completed my rear main seal.

I decided that I can't afford to do the clayton's long arms AND axles AND gearing etc all at once so I am going to use rubicon express rear lift crap (uppers/lowers, springs and brake line) and clayton's front long arms. This will be with either the 4.5" or 5.5" RE coils, I haven't decided which yet.

I also decided to use 33" tires for this summer and learn to do gearing on my own. The current plan is to gear my front HP 30 to 4.10 and the 44a to 4.10, put a locker in the front and keep the LS in the rear, if I need to go to 35's in a year or so i can still use the 4.10's.

TO DO LIST:

Buy RE components
Buy Clayton front components
Swap in 242
Gear HP 30
Gear 44a
Decide on locker for front (suggestions, opinions?)
WHEEL IT

pics soon

rtingdds
03-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Good luck on your 4.10 with 35"!

jsteves
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Good luck on your 4.10 with 35"!

4.10's, 35's, and the v8 are fine. I drove mine like that for 3 years. Just a few weeks ago I went to 4.56 with my latest axle swap and could hardly notice the difference. Run the 4.10's now because they are coming in the axles, go 4.88 later if you feel like it.

As for those axles, is the front not a passenger drop? Of course you can make it work if it is, just one big pain in the ass.

Longarms: No contest, Claytons. Has anyone here broken ANYTHING on a Clayton's kit? IF you ever do it is guarenteed for life.

DLoweinc
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
As for those axles, is the front not a passenger drop? Of course you can make it work if it is, just one big pain in the ass.

Longarms: No contest, Claytons. Has anyone here broken ANYTHING on a Clayton's kit? IF you ever do it is guarenteed for life.

It's a high pinion D30 out of an XJ ('96, no vacuum disconnect), it's a driver side drop.

Wouldn't the 4.88's be a bit low for any sort of highway driving? This isn't my daily driver by any means but I will still be driving wherever we camp or 4wheel. The 4.88's in my wrangler with a 5speed seemed just right with the I6 and 35"s.

I remember reading that the auto trans made higher gears easier to palette because of the torque converter and I assumed the V8 would also...?

Casey L
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
check their website nube... :smt016

I didn't see any pictures of the skid plate on a zj...

zj95
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
they just have it listed and a price...

Ill take a pic of mine this weekend...

zj95
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
id go 4.56's with 35's....

I ABOSOLUTLY HATE my 4.10s with my v8 and 34's...

SO save yourself the hassle and go 4.56 since your goin to regear anyways

AprilzWarrior
03-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Nut up and get the 8.8 with 4.88s for sale. Then step into the 35" or 37 is a year or so.

You know you want to... oh and when you come over for install Ill get lots of pics.:coffee:

goldensd
03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I'd say if you got the axle and the 4:10's are in it and good stay with it and save the money for the other stuff, and then change them later if you don't like it.

I'm carrying a shitload of weight with my V8, 4:10's and 231 Transfer case w/ 33" Mt's, and don't have any issues. I've figured it to only be about 2-3% off of the stock configuration for highway use. I have no troubles cruising up the hills, and have enough torque to break the 33"s free if I really want to. The only place I occasionally would like lower gearing would be in technical trails, but it's not enough to give up the easy highway driving to the trail.

When you go to 35's, might be a different story, but I'd think you could bear it with the 4:10's for a while.

Just my 0.02.

Romansik
04-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Your first mistake was getting rid if the wrangler haha but with 35s or 37s you should be going with 4.88s, 4.56s are usually for 33s unless your planning on going on the interstate with it then stay with 4.56s tops. if you want to have the power though with those 35s you need to be runnning 4.88s. i have 4.56s with my 33s and my buddy has 4.88s with his 35s and we have no problems being our daily drivers. these jeeps arent ment to go even 70 with these gears, dont be a speed racer and run em like a car. Oh and by the way, v8 makes no difference in this game, my 4 liter can dominate any v8 with the same money into it as mine. drive safe and have fun

Matt
04-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh and by the way, v8 makes no difference in this game, my 4 liter can dominate any v8 with the same money into it as mine

:popcorn:

ILikeMud
04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh and by the way, v8 makes no difference in this game, my 4 liter can dominate any v8 with the same money into it as mine. drive safe and have fun

:spit: