PDA

View Full Version : Driving along High Voltage lines

cooperzj
09-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I have been searching the internet for a while now and can't seem to find any difinitive answer on driving along the trails often found along high voltage lines.

I've seen some hill climbs that look awsome.
I live in Augusta Ga, which straddles SC and GA.

Trespassing aside, are there any specific laws that prohibit me from riding there?

Please don't comment on this unless you have an authoritive link to a .gov website to back it up. I've heard enough from other ppl with what they "think" the law is. I'm looking for real answers.

Thanks

Ken L
09-29-2007, 12:36 AM
You'll need to find out who owns the land and ask them. There's no cut and dried answer. Sometimes the land is owned by the power companies, sometimes it's owned by others- timber companies with easements for example.

Best bet is to call the utility in the area in question and ask to speak with whomever is the land manager for the power line right of way.

BigDaveZJ
09-29-2007, 09:19 AM
You'll need to find out who owns the land and ask them. There's no cut and dried answer. Sometimes the land is owned by the power companies, sometimes it's owned by others- timber companies with easements for example.

Best bet is to call the utility in the area in question and ask to speak with whomever is the land manager for the power line right of way.

Yup.

And if you have to think about whether or not it's a good idea, it's probably not a good idea.

slim616
09-29-2007, 05:42 PM
I worked on clearing trees off power liner for aspline for a year or so. Some of the property under the power lines is owned by private land owners who we had to get permission to cross their land while other parts of it was owned by the power company. Usally the larger lines are power companys while the smaller ones are private land. Either way you can be prosecuted for trespassing if either the land owner or power company wants to push the issue.

cooperzj
09-29-2007, 08:21 PM
This is the only way to be prosecuted for trespassing (in Georgia).

Trespassing - O.C.G.A. 16-7-21
Criminal trespass can be committed in five different ways:
1) A person intentionally causes damage to the property of another without his consent and the damage is less than $500.00;
2) Knowingly and maliciously interferes with possession or use of the property of another;
3) Enters upon the property of another person for any unlawful purpose;
4) Enters upon the property of another person after receiving notice from the owner that such entry is forbidden; or
5) Remains upon the property of another person after receiving notice from the owner to depart.

I don't think you can be prosecuted successfully unless there is a no trespassing sign, a fence blocking the path, or if the owner tells you you can't be there.

I've seen plenty of places where there is no sign/fence at all.

LouisianaZJ
09-29-2007, 11:39 PM
2) Knowingly and maliciously interferes with possession or use of the property of another;

you are inferfering with the use of their land

Ken L
09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
You're looking for an easy way to claim that you have access and there isn't one. You need to do your due dilligence, find out who the land owner is and ask them.

Chances are you don't have a "no trespassing" sign on your yard, but if a group of people come to your house and start a "save the unborn baby whales" rally you can have them arrested for trespassing. Same deal.

BigDaveZJ
09-30-2007, 10:10 AM
You're looking for an easy way to claim that you have access and there isn't one. You need to do your due dilligence, find out who the land owner is and ask them.

Chances are you don't have a "no trespassing" sign on your yard, but if a group of people come to your house and start a "save the unborn baby whales" rally you can have them arrested for trespassing. Same deal.

x2

Just because there may be a loophole in the law allowing you to avoid charges does NOT make it okay.

This thread is done.