PDA

View Full Version : 01 PSD tranny cooler

violatedppl
09-20-2007, 01:54 AM
well my dad has an 01 PSD that we use to pull our 30ft travel trailer. it pulls like a champ but even with it locked in gear at low speeds like on dirt roads the tranny over heats and dumps fluid out the vent tube. So I told him I would buy him a new tranny cooler for his BDAY. Now We are looking to put the biggest tranny cooler that will fit behind the grill. I was wondering if anyone had an personal suggestions. I know B&M makes good stuff. And Dirk I am sorry I tried to talk him into running amsoil but his to old school, sorry.

DJJordache
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I use a B&M (link in sig) but tru-cool are the same thing... I would make sure to get a plate style cooler and NOT a tube fin style. The plate style has more cooling surface area for the size and is more durable. but if you insist on the tube style I have a new hayden that is very long and narrow, just sitting in my closet.
what are the approx size constraints for where you want to install it?

Sudz
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
We are looking to put the biggest tranny cooler that will fit behind the grill. I was wondering if anyone had an personal suggestions.
Long Tru-Cool #LPD4590 should get the job done

got mine here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSMISSION-COOLER-28-000-GVW-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQihZ002QQitem Z2430637459

brochure = http://www.dana.com/Automotive_Systems/images/PDFs/TC_Brochure_2004_WebsiteJune07.pdf

i also run a B&M on my ZJ - both companies make robust, efficient stacked plate style coolers

edit: tru-cool also makes larger fin & plate syle coolers too #LPD4739

hth

BigDaveZJ
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
I've heard of some of the PSD guys using the V10 tranny cooler with good success. I still have the stock cooler on mine, gonna upgrade it next time I change the fluid.

violatedppl
09-21-2007, 01:18 AM
well my dad taking the trailer up to yellowstone, So it wont be happening for a while. And I think we are going to try and run the biggest one that will fit behind the grille. Figure it cant run to cold while towing.

DieselZJ
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Ferds have an internal thermal bypass in the transmission, so no worries of running too cool. Until it gets up to temp, it bypasses the cooler

minydigger
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Get one off a 06'PSD its almost 3 times the size as the stock one and bolts to same spot as it also. This is what I am getting ready to do on mine.

nate
09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Put it in 4Lo pulling up the steep stuff. It will keep the trans and rear axle happy.

Do the Fords have 2 coolers like the Dodges? Water to oil and air to oil?