PDA

View Full Version : leaky oil pan drain plug on my truck

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2007, 10:51 AM
So after my last oil change the drain plug started leaking a little bit on the Super Duty. Tightened it up a little bit and no change, didn't want to over-tighten it. I'm due for another change here before Moab in a couple weeks so I plan on addressing the leak then. Any reason I couldn't just put a little teflon tape on the thread of the drain plug or something?

ajmorell
09-14-2007, 11:37 AM
That shouldn't hurt anything. The only thing I would question is what happens to teflon tape when it gets that hot. You can always head up to NAPA and get a new drain plug too.

OverkillZJ
09-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd grab a new plug, I doubt tefflot tape would do that well that hot

fpkites
09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
New plug or just new plug gasket. Vatozone had them by the oil and filters.

DJJordache
09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
if your going to try the teflon method, don't use the normal white kind, at least use the yellow kind that is rated for gas fittings, it's thicker and doesn't break down as bad with oils. maybe also put a bead of RTV around the shoulder of the bolt and let that dry a little and reinstall the drainplug.

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2007, 07:41 PM
New plug or just new plug gasket. Vatozone had them by the oil and filters.

Sweet. Looks like the ZJ will get some street time on Monday!

My66coupe
09-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Its the gasket, especially if its been reused multiple times. The steel gaskets should never be reused. The fiber gaskets are good for a few times around. To avoid loosing any oil, have your wife or friend take the shop vac to the oil fill (making a nice seal) when you pull the plug no oil will come out. Be quick and replace with new plug/gasket.

Mike

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Its the gasket, especially if its been reused multiple times. The steel gaskets should never be reused. The fiber gaskets are good for a few times around. To avoid loosing any oil, have your wife or friend take the shop vac to the oil fill (making a nice seal) when you pull the plug no oil will come out. Be quick and replace with new plug/gasket.

Mike

Need to change the oil anyways so I'm not too worried about losing any oil.

unforgiven
09-15-2007, 12:03 AM
lol, so basically what he is sayin is have yer wife or buddy suck on yer oil fill. :eek:

sumthin basically wrong with that statement right there.

onesikpupp
09-15-2007, 08:03 AM
just go to your local lube shop and have them do a 20 dollar oil change.... when they tell you your plug is hosed ,act ignorant and they will replace it for free......

BigDaveZJ
09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
just go to your local lube shop and have them do a 20 dollar oil change.... when they tell you your plug is hosed ,act ignorant and they will replace it for free......

If you can find someone that will change the oil on a PowerStroke for $20, I am ALL ears.

OverkillZJ
09-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Diesels are pretty different from your gasser when it comes to oil chances, Dave would be looking about more like $100.

nate
09-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah cause most quick lube places are afraid of diesels. I did them when I worked at Sears and I would get $20 commission on them, vs $2 for gassers :eek:

The plug on my Cummins leaks when I bought it. I put a new plug and gasket, and it didn't help. What I would do is put a bit of RTV under the head of the plug and tighten it down. Worked fine. I guess the pan isn't even enough for the gasket to seal or something.

A few months ago, I bought a Fumoto drain valve so I wouldn't have to mess with the plug. I was afraid of it getting worse and having to drop the pan on day to fix it.