PDA

View Full Version : welder recommendation

MotoX5874
08-15-2007, 02:04 AM
well since ive become intimate with my zj's suspension and what not, im interesting in learning how to fab, specifically with a welder. i was wondering what kind of welder you all would recommend to begin with? preferably cheap. ive been reading up on kraqa's welding bible, im eager to practice for when i go full size in the future and just to add unique touches to my rig.

Matt
08-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Budget?

Lincoln 175 or Miller 180 are good units. Miller 210 would be preferable.

MotoX5874
08-15-2007, 02:35 AM
whew definitely not over a thousand...i was thinking a couple hundred tops as im about to go into college = broke until i get a better job

CurtP
08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
You're not going to get a MIG worth carrying home for only a couple hundred dollars. You might be better off looking for a used/refurbished unit to try to save some money.

ZJ TINS
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
What about a 220v TIG?
I am in the same boat, no money (at least not till I pay for a washer ) and wish to mod metal.

Or the other way what is the cheapest unit that actually works, below which cant weld say 1/4" steel to an axle.

canadian_driver
08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
get a square welder, the round ones roll away when your welding

MotoX5874
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
well as im a welding noob i dont really know the different types of welding...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?f=displaysubcats&CategoryID=10&tab=9

i see under arc welder stuff for 200 and cheaper...or are arc welders not strong enough?

canadian_driver
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
read up first, buy a book

MotoX5874
08-15-2007, 10:46 AM
alright, ill look into it...and i definitely missed this section

BigDaveZJ
08-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Check out the local community college too for some welding classes.

canadian_driver
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
yep good idea too, theres no sense buying somethign you dont know how to use

CANADIAN ZJ!
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I like the recommendation of taking a college night course. Welding is a valuable and enjoyable skill, but not easily learned. Even reading and searching is good, but you really should get some tips & advice from an experienced welder.

That said, don't buy a tig if you're a rookie (tig's are meant for precision welding, not big jeep projects unless you know what you're doin), arc (ie stick) welders can be good/economical but again are tricky to learn right and have less adjustable settings for a novice. MIG is definitely the welder to buy, easiest to learn and a versatile tool. Save your pennies/wait for a good used local sale and buy a good welder. A quality mig setup can make up for lack of skill (to some extent). Whatever you do, don't go welding axle brackets with a 110v and or no skill like some idiot on a local board and end up putting lives at risk.

canadian_driver
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=64185, heres the link to the thread craig was talking aboot

DJJordache
08-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Check out the local community college too for some welding classes.x2! these classes are very nice and usually very newb friendly! I took one a while back and got a crash course on oxyacetylene, plasma, mig, tig, stick, etc.... The teacher let us have all the practice we wanted, so I concentrated on mig since I knew that is what I would use most.

Skyline
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I just bought this second hand TIG welder this afternoon. I think I got a pretty good deal ($1,000) and it included a Miller water cooler, a water cooled torch with hand control, and a Miller Pulser. Unfortunately, I have no fricking idea how to TIG weld (well, anyway I know how to do it in principal...never actually picked up a torch). But it's pretty hard to teach yourself if you don't have a machine.

Skyline
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Here's an offer for you guys...if any of you are anywhere near here and want access to a really decent TIG machine, I'll foot the bill for all the welding supplies. The only catch is that you must know how to use a TIG and let me watch and learn.

I know this will be a bit of a learning curve for me, (as I'm only barely competent on a MIG), but in the long run, TIG welds are really nice once you've got the skills. The inconvenience of using one to weld under a vehicle almost scared me off, but for what I paid for this thing, I can always get more than my money back if I decide to give up and buy a MIG.

MotoX5874
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Check out the local community college too for some welding classes.
weird that you say that, im actually going into community college this year and going into automotive servicing and there is a required welding class i have/want to take to support the degree :smt023 so i suppose ill wait til then to purchase one

and ill be focusing on mig then, seems like the majority prefer it so thats good enough for me