PDA

View Full Version : Mechanix vs Shocker (also cleaning gloves)

BigDaveZJ
08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Anybody tried out the Shocker gloves? I've got quite a few sets of the basic Mechanix gloves that I've either torn up or are too dirty to really even be worth wearing at this point.

How are the Shocker gloves holding up?

Also, anybody got a trick on cleaning any of these gloves? I probably wouldn't do it in my washer at home, but bring them into work and use one of the ones here, LOL.

DJJordache
08-11-2007, 01:50 PM
were are you gonna find gloves with only 3 fingers?:D

I'm also interested since my mechanix ones are pretty beat up/nasty. There is no way i'd wash them in my washer and I have already been banned from the local washateria....

Rubber Chuck
08-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I have never tried the Shocker Gloves......but they are on my MySpace buddy list.....maybe I will give them a try.
My mechanix gloves usually rip before they reach the point of being too dirty to wear......but I have a local auto parts store that warranties them for me.

BigDaveZJ
08-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I have never tried the Shocker Gloves......but they are on my MySpace buddy list.....maybe I will give them a try.
My mechanix gloves usually rip before they reach the point of being too dirty to wear......but I have a local auto parts store that warranties them for me.

They're on my MySpace too, that's where I heard about them.

Most of the time when I'm doing work with my Mechanix gloves on, I'm wearing latex gloves under them to keep my hands clean cuz the gloves are so dirty. I've tried having multiple sets, sets for clean stuff, sets for dirty stuff, and they all end up getting used for dirty stuff. I've never tried actually putting them in a washing machine, but I've let them soak in the sink for a while before and it "helped" but didn't get them really clean again. I might try soaking them a couple times and then bring them into work and wash them here in someone else's washer, lol.

Rubber Chuck
08-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Did you ever try washing them w/ GoJo or the like while you were still wearing them? I haven't done that yet....but I am about to go replace the front pinion bearings in my junk....so maybe I will try that later and report back.....Can't hurt anything :confused:

DJJordache
08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Did you ever try washing them w/ GoJo or the like while you were still wearing them? I haven't done that yet....but I am about to go replace the front pinion bearings in my junk....so maybe I will try that later and report back.....Can't hurt anything :confused:thats what i do with mine: a mix of Gojo with Dawn dish soap and it works pretty good to clean them but I seem to tear them up too easy.

J B
08-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I wash my craftsman gloves in my washing machine, along with any shop rags or shop clothes that I have.

Here's what I do, and it works pretty well....

Load your gear in the washer. I use about double the normal detergent and of course use hot water. I set the water level to one notch lower than the highest level. Set the agitator to "beat the shit out these garments".

Wash.

After I put that load in the dryer, I take some 409 or other cleaner in a paper towel, and clean the ring of grease out of the tub of the washer.

Then I run the above wash process again, with nothing in it but the detergent (not clothes or anything), and the water level as high as it will go, to clean the washing machine.

It has worked great for me for years. I can clean my grubby shop stuff, and then I feel comfortable throwing in khakis and polos for work after I get done with the "washing machine cleaning" cycle. Never had a single mark or stain on any of my good clothes because of it.

silber
08-11-2007, 02:44 PM
All these years and I never knew they made specific gloves to use for The Shocker... Safety first!!!

As far as washing the Mechanix gloves, I just hose them down with some Greased Lightning, let them soak, and toss them in the washer with what ever clothes I was working on the Jeep with. Water level - about half full, soap - about what I would use for a full load. Don't put them in the dryer, it may permanently "set" the oil and grease in them. Just let them air dry. They never seem to come completely clean, but they are much better than they were...

J B
08-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, mine never come completely clean, but come out MUCH better than they were.

And the smell of gear oil NEVER goes away.

ArloGuthroJeep
08-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Mine only last about 9-12 months before they have holes in them. Normally I am grinding something and burn myself through the hole and that prompts me to buy a new set anyways:D One of these days all the oils in the glove are going to catch on fire and I'll be screwed then...

93_5spd
08-11-2007, 07:03 PM
electric pressure washer. I generally buy the cheap $10 versions of the gloves, sometime the kobalt ones at lowes, somtimes the brand they have at walmart, and once in a while i'll spring $15 on a set of 'name brand' gloves. But a little simple green, and the hit them with the electric pressure washer makes them wearable again after a really greasy/oily job.

NINE-T-1-RENEGADE
08-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I honestly never thought i'd come across a laundry thread on a jeep forum... Especially a hardcore forum such as MC. Wow... And gloves at that? Whatever happened to gettin' some good 'ol man hands! My hands are cut, scraped, scarred, full of callases (sp) and my girl still comments on my soft hands. It's all in the Fast Orange hand cleaner guys. :D

BigDaveZJ
08-11-2007, 07:44 PM
This is actually the 2nd thread that I can recall that has to do with laundry. The other one was a recall on some washers that I let people know about. But for 50 hours a week I have to be an expert on home appliances in order to pay for all the toys.

AndyZJ
08-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I think the GoJo idea works pretty good but my craftsmen set and mechanix set are only slightly dirty since i usually end up taking them off because i can't quite get my hand in certain spots on the Hondas and small crud i work on.

NINE-T-1-RENEGADE
08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I used to wear gloves when building the heavy equipment for a company I did Research and Development for. (trommels, screeners, etc. etc.) and I stopped screwin' around with gloves all together after ruining multiple pairs of mechanixwear. I just toss on the heavy leather work gloves if my hand's in a spot it could slip and smash the shit out of it. Other than that she's bareback!

AndyZJ
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I do that really too often and now looking at my dad's hands and his friend's hands after wrenching for more than 30years, they have all kinds of shit wrong with them. Mainly from all the chemicals that constantly get bashed on them. I usually end up ripping off a lot of skin before i say "shit i should have remembered to wear my gloves".

CurtP
08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Dave - you know that I have the Neptunes (and yes, I got the silly little bullshit GFCI in the mail as part of the recall) and I wash my Mechanix gloves in them. I throw a pair or two in when I do jeans/work clothes and run them through the dryer too. They always come out very clean and I never do any sort of pre-wash to them either.

I just picked up a pair of Gojo HITACTILE gloves from my local Pep Boys to try. I like these a lot. Grippy, good at insulating against hot shit and they're cheap (Pep Boys charges way too much for them though). At less than $5/pair on the Interweb, I think I'm going to pick up a case of them.