PDA

View Full Version : Fall Moab Trip Weekend of 9/29

BigDaveZJ
08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
We're thinking on going out there the last weekend in September or the 1st weekend in October. Leave thursday after work, come back Monday kinda thing for a little long weekend of wheelin and beer drinkin. We're pretty flexible as far as which weekend we go.

Not sure of any trails that would be on the list to do right now, we may only bring my ZJ depending on finances at the time. Spike is always fun, but we want to explore some of the easier more scenic trails in the area just so Cody will get off my back already.

Z
08-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm in, have to work between my damned on-call schedule though.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Any idea which weekend of those two you're on call?

Z
08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Of course those proposed dates are when I'm on call (2 weeks on, 4 weeks off). So, weekend of Sept 22nd (or earlier) or Oct 6 (or later) works for me.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
The last weekend in September is the only one that works for us in September, and then it's gotta be pretty late in October for it to work.

Z
08-09-2007, 10:55 AM
The last weekend in September is the only one that works for us in September, and then it's gotta be pretty late in October for it to work.

I can see if I can switch on-calls. Since I'm the boss, I can probably find a volunteer :)

I'd prefer to finalize a date before I try to switch. So far it looks like we're the only 2 people interested, eh?

JohnBoulderCO
08-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm in if you guys plan on running some hard "new" trails. ;) Not just Onion Creek. :D

Kane Creek was new for me and so was Seven Mile Rim (including Wipe out Hill). Both were fun. I have never done Hey Joe Canyon, etc. I'm sure we could come up with a nice list of "new" hard trails.

Time doesn't matter much, but it might be nice and cool in October.

Z
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I haven't done Spike in a long time - I would like to at least do that one. I don't care what other trails we run.

Cody
08-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Spike is always fun, but we want to explore some of the easier more scenic trails in the area just so Cody will get off my back already.

I was planning on either HITR or White Rim around that time this year. I guess I should try and plan something so I can give you guys that option.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
White Rim and HITR are definitely both on our "to-do" lists, just not sure if this is the year we want to do it yet, especially HITR. Plus we have the issue of finding someone to watch the dog while we're out there if we do White Rim since pets aren't allowed out there.

Z
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Okay, I'm in. Weekend of the Sept. 29th would work better for me. If we choose Oct 6, I'll have to leave on Sunday instead of Monday.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Tom, very similar boat as us. I think the 29th is gonna be our best bet.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Pam and I both have our time off requests in. We're leaving Thursday evening and coming back Monday.

Cody
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
if we do HITR you could bring a dog along. We'll probably base camp in the middle and do 2 day long trips down to the Ricon to swim and down to some waterfalls in the area. We would probably shoot for a thursday morning trail departure which would mean leaving home wednesday night.

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
That might have to wait until next year for me. Thursday afternoon is the absolute soonest Pam and I can leave.

SuicideTireZJ
08-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Damn, gonna be in England those weeks. Might try and squeeze in a trip early sept though... we'll see.

spacely
08-10-2007, 11:28 PM
HEY...can I tag along?? :D White Rim is a scenic trail (the going down in the canyon and coming back up are the worst), but if you plan on doing the whoel trail, you might want to look into getting a camping permit now.

cjchamp
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Ahhhhhhh HAHAHAHA......Im planning on attending! Who is this you ask? Well its a CJ guy.... Just trying to get a flatbed to trailor it down there.....Cant wait...first time out to moab....wait...I better get some wheel time before hand eh' Dave?

Josh

Bustin' Loose
08-14-2007, 09:26 PM
We have no problem with the short wheel base crew tagging along. The more the merrier. So Stacey & Josh - come on out!

That last weekend is it. We'll leave thursday night on the 27th. Come back on 10/1. I'm all for some new trails. Anyone with suggestions post it up. maybe we can nail down a rough outline of the days/trails we want to do.

I'm not bringing my jeep and I think we are looking at leaving the dog home this time so we shouldn't be limited all that much on the trails.

BigDaveZJ
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
My thought was run Spike on Saturday, then run some new stuff Friday and Sunday.

Matt
08-15-2007, 12:27 AM
I'll have to see if I can swap some dates.

Count me in as interested.

cjchamp
08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah........... It may be short, but its.....wait wrong analogy....Thanks for letting me and the wifey tag along. Im unloading the pops trailer this saturday, so I'll take pics and show you what I got to work with as far as getting down there.

Josh

JohnBoulderCO
08-17-2007, 12:44 PM
So, let's work on the Friday and Sunday list. I need to get the Well's Book out and flip through it.

PassRunnerZJ
08-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I was thinking about doing a pre-trip to HitR East side of the river that weekend for our Jeep club, but I really don't have four days to do it as far as time off goes and to do the trip in Oct for the club. And doing the Spike again sounds cool...

Also thinking about doing Poughkeepsie Gultch the weekend before with my brother, but I will probably be on call once the new guy gets dropped in the rotation (I was the new guy for less that a month:) ). Maybe I can talk him into a Silverton trip over Labor Day Weekend.

Trails to think about: Chicken Corners and tie it in with Lockhart Basin; Klondike Bluffs and Tower Arch combo; 3-D Trail; Copper Ridge; Flat Iron Mesa for a "harder" trail. I found this link on RR4W new site: http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?menu=4422&id=16364 to use in addition to Wells' book.

Z
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Motels are expensive on this weekend and Redstone is sold out for Friday and Saturday night.

If we're doing Spike on Saturday, are there any places we can camp after we get off the trail, instead of spending Saturday night in Moab? That would make it a bit cheaper for everyone. (I wish they hadn't banned camping on Spike - what a rip off!)

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Looks like there's a skydiving festival or some shit in Moab that weekend. Crazy bastards.

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I could be talked into camping somewhere Saturday night, but that leaves the issue of where to dump my truck and trailer.

Do we want to pick another hotel as a group or just wing it on our own?

Mtn WJ
08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Here are a couple thoughts I have:

We are tentative for now but should be in.

I think Spike on Saturday is good too. I suggest two short runs on Friday an AM and afternoon run. I suggest this selfishly because I may leave on Friday AM and would like to meet up around noon. Not sure on schedule yet but this way others could do the same if their schedule requires it.

Sunday something new for sure.

Keith S

JohnBoulderCO
08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
RedStone is full? Crap! I guess I need to start calling around.

Are we going to have to worry about people landing on our Jeeps from above?:D

PassRunnerZJ
08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
My thought, not that I'm sure I'm coming yet, would be to reserve one of the campgrounds and either get a cabin or bring the tent. That way you have someplace to park the truck and trailer, showers, hot tub and pool, and don't have to drag the camping stuff on the trail.

Cody also knows where some sandy camping spots are around Behind the Rock area, if I remember correctly.

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I like the big campsite idea. Several places in town have those, and the weather will be nice enough where camping is easily doable.

Mtn WJ
08-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I was thinking of camping too. I didnt get to get in as much camping as we would like this year anyway.

Z
08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
So, is someone with knowledge going to check on camping possibilities/vacancies? (I'm cool with the cabin or tent thing)

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 11:13 PM
There's a place outside of town up by the Gemini Bridges parking lot that has cabins and tent sites. I stayed there for GSW 02 and it was pretty nice. It MIGHT be out of business now though. I'll check into it.

Z
08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
There's a place outside of town up by the Gemini Bridges parking lot that has cabins and tent sites. I stayed there for GSW 02 and it was pretty nice. It MIGHT be out of business now though. I'll check into it.

That's the place that was in Breakdown. I think it's still open. But do we want to stay 10 miles out of town? There are other places that are closer.

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Whaddya mean it was "in Breakdown??"

http://www.archviewresort.com/index.html

Looks to me like it's still open, at least the website is up. It doesn't make much difference to me, there's the place just south of the Redstone too that has tent sites, and another one just south of the river. My thought though is if we're gonna camp it'd feel kinda strange to do it in town.

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Oh, and they have free Wi-Fi too to satisfy the geeks in the group!

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Here's the place just to the south of the Redstone: http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/

Z
08-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Whaddya mean it was "in Breakdown??"

The Kurt Russell movie where a ZJ was a main character and much of it was filmed around Moab. This place was the gas station where the bad guy sabotaged the ZJ.

BigDaveZJ
08-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Gotcha. Can't say I've seen too many Kurt Russell flicks, maybe Overboard and Tombstone.

Matt
08-22-2007, 11:44 PM
We stayed at KOA for GSW, I don't think I'd stay there again, to much sand and poor facilities. If we camp, we should stay somewhere where we can have an open flame fire (purpose of camping in my mind). Somewhere down Kane Creek?

Still don't know if I'm going or not though.

Cody
08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Kane Creek has some camping

I've camped in the wash just outside the exit to the spike (entrance/exit to GBR). If you're heading in via the Gemini Bridge road, you'll take that left hand turn to go down the wash towards the trail. The wash will take a right and then back left to the first climbe. After that very first right if you just go straight there is a cool little 'nook' surrounded by cliffs on 2 sides. It's a great camping spot, but I'm not totally sure camping is allowed there anymore.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
We were shooting for something a little more "civilized" too, someplace that has showers and a flush toilet. I can get a little ripe after a couple days . . . .

Cody
08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
you can't call it camping if you have showers and a toilet.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
If there's a tent and a bunch of beer and a campfire, it's good enough for me!

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
So outside of Spike on Saturday we're still pretty open as far as trails go.

Here's a few just to throw some out there that I haven't done before that I'd like to at some point.

Gemini Bridges
Long Canyon
Bull Canyon
Pritchett (Canyon and/or Arch)

I'm pretty much open to whatever.

Cody
08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
gemini and bull can be done as you come out of metal masher (or come out of the spike)
bull canyon only takes a few minutes

JohnBoulderCO
08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Pritchett is fun and you don't even need lockers. ;)

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2007, 05:11 PM

That was my thought too. But I know some of the vehicles in the group won't really want to go through Pritchett.

Ted_Z
08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I've stayed at the KOA and it was ok. The showers even had hot water, woot!

Cody
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM

don't even get me started.

Bustin' Loose
08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Here's the place just to the south of the Redstone: http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/

I found this place and was gonna post up about it but see that my husband beat me to it. So far, I think this place is the best. Not too far out of town. Close to everything we are use to be close to. We can get a few tent sights right next to each other and unwind with fire, beer and camp chairs at night. . .

I'll see if I find anyplace else. I'd be willing to help coordinate reservations so we all end up next to each other. But we should do this fast. Who knows if this place even has openings.

I called and they still have openings and can get us in close together sites. Depending on the site, they can fit up to 6 people. Some can only fit two tents some can fit 3 or 4. And they even have some cabins for those that don't want to tent it

Here is another possible option http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/index.html

Z
08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Canyonlands in a tent is fine with me. A friend will probably join me (in his own tent) Friday and Saturday evening. I'm ready to commit and would greatly appreciate Pam doing the coordinating thing.

JohnBoulderCO
08-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I saw a movie about sharing tents. A river, a canoe and two banjos were involved. No tents in my garage, so I'll have to phone up a few hotels.

Z
08-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I saw a movie about sharing tents. A river, a canoe and two banjos were involved. No tents in my garage, so I'll have to phone up a few hotels.
They also have cabins.

JohnBoulderCO
08-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Ahhh, have to look into that.
Edit: Just checked the web site. The cabins sleep 6.
Edit: I'll figure something out.

BigDaveZJ
08-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Yup, the cabins I've stayed in in Moab are just a notch below the Redstone too IMO. Pretty good deal for what you get, and you can be within stumbling distance of the campfire and the brewery!

Mtn WJ
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Well I have a canoe and some tents. Matter of fact the canoe is on the top of my Jeep and the tents are inside it right now. No banjo but maybe a harmonica.

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv01.jpg

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv05.wav

BigDaveZJ
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Canyonlands in a tent is fine with me. A friend will probably join me (in his own tent) Friday and Saturday evening. I'm ready to commit and would greatly appreciate Pam doing the coordinating thing.

I think we're ready to commit as well.

Bustin' Loose
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Okay, so I have Dave and I
Tom and guest
Keith? and how many?

Anyone else?

Post up peoples, let me know what I am reserving. I'd like to make the reservation asap. I hate last minute planning :) Let me know if you'd like a camp site to yourself (but still next to everyone else) or if you want to share.

Thanks

Mtn WJ
08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I am not ready to confirm just yet. Looks good so far and it will be 3 total.

I should know by mid week next week. I have a project that may get in the way.

BigDaveZJ
08-24-2007, 07:00 PM
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/planning/get_involved.html

Anybody think they could make it to Junction by 6PM for that?? I'm gonna try.

Z
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM

I have tons of vacation I need to take, so I could take the day off and make it.

BigDaveZJ
08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm hoping I can take a half day or just take the whole day off and make it myself.

PassRunnerZJ
08-24-2007, 11:08 PM

I just sent an email out to our Jeep Club members and I'll be there. Thanks Dave.

cjchamp
09-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Nicole and I are in....
Josh

BigDaveZJ
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
You get the CJ running right???

OverkillZJ
09-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Let's say I'm a maybe "maybe..." - there's lot that could go wrong, so I'd give my chances of attending about.001%, but I'm trying.

K2
09-04-2007, 06:14 AM
I found this place and was gonna post up about it but see that my husband beat me to it. So far, I think this place is the best. Not too far out of town. Close to everything we are use to be close to. We can get a few tent sights right next to each other and unwind with fire, beer and camp chairs at night. . .

I'll see if I find anyplace else. I'd be willing to help coordinate reservations so we all end up next to each other. But we should do this fast. Who knows if this place even has openings.

I called and they still have openings and can get us in close together sites. Depending on the site, they can fit up to 6 people. Some can only fit two tents some can fit 3 or 4. And they even have some cabins for those that don't want to tent it

Here is another possible option http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/index.html

Auggie stayed there for GSW as well as the HUGE blue WJ from Canandia. You might ask them what they thought. There were a lot of trees when I went through. Looked nice.

Matt
09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
How come all the Moab trips are the same dates as the XRRA events??? (GSW was during the Springs event as well).

Now I have to choose.

Although I may not be able to get work off, so it may be an easy choice.

cjchamp
09-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Ummm............... yes ....I pulled the cat and exhaust, still running shitty at high speeds but awsome at lower speeds and sounds like a big block with cams...LOL......Its a trailer queen now, so who cares about high speeds...right? BTW....I need to know where you got your D rings for your trailer and need to ask you for help to weld them on and weld some sheetmetal to the tongue so that I can mount the brakeaway controller solid. Once I get the D rings on Im set.

On a side note I almost caught the trailer on fire yesterday. Had a malfunction with the brake away controller....NO Bueno, WIRE FIRE......need to stop by Murdochs tonight to get a new controller.

J-

BigDaveZJ
09-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Murdoch's will have your D-rings too.

Cody
09-04-2007, 05:55 PM
OK, not that you guys were interested but my HITR trip has turned into....

(South to North) Cottonwood canyon ---> Beef Basin--->Chesler Park (via impossible hill)-->lockhart basin -->chicken corners-->Kane Creek --> Moab

With stop overs in Ruin Park, Dark Canyon, and Lockhart Canyon.

going to camp somewhere outside of Blanding (~75 miles south of Moab) the night of Wednesday Oct 10th and spend 4 days on dirt until we make it back to Moab sometime on Sunday.

something to this effect.
http://www.fototime.com/C738AAE73203A32/standard.jpg

If anyone is interested in getting remote and seeing some bitchin areas, PM me and we'll talk.

ok, back to your planning thread :D

cjchamp
09-04-2007, 09:22 PM
The same ones you have up front on the trailer??
I looked but couldnt find anything similar to yours....

Josh

BigDaveZJ
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
They're there, they had a bunch when I was there last Monday. They can be bolted or welded on.

Bustin' Loose
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Okay, Dave and I have been throwing around the Idea of staying in a cabin instead of tenting since we won't get there thursday till 11pm. I'm not up for pitching the tent at that hour. So, I'm gonna go about getting us reserved in a Cabin at Canyonlands.

Matt
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Cody, that trip looks like a damn good time. It would be nice to get that far in.

Cody
09-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Cody, that trip looks like a damn good time. It would be nice to get that far in.

hop on board. me, brett, steve, and dominic so far.

Z
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks like no one is interested in camping, so I've booked my usual - Super 8. Rates are down to $80 (still seems like a lot!) If anyone cares to stay at Super 8, when making your reservations select the AAA rate - it's cheaper than their "best rate".

I'll be staying through Sunday.

BigDaveZJ
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
We ended up getting the LAST cabin at the place by the Redstone.

Mtn WJ
09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Well it looks like I will be in Norway what weekend. I am out.

Believe it or not I told my co workers I would rather be in Moab. They were not sure if I was serious or not. I was.

Have a good time.

nate
09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I'll be down in Moab 3-8 October, looks like we are just going to miss each other. We have our annual planet4x4.net Moab Mash.

Would anyone be interested to do some wheeling in Colorado on the 8th? I was told there are some good trails a few hrs from Moab? I was thinking if I left Moab fairly early in the AM it would work out nicely. Wheel the day in Colorado and then head on back home to Idaho.

My brother is flying to Idaho from Maine for 2 weeks so I'm trying to put together a rough schedule.

nate
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah that's alot, considering all you need is a place to wash and sleep in between trails. That's why I have no problem tent camping.

$100 for 5 nights at the KOA or $400 at the hotel... hmmmm.. not a hard choice!

Looks like no one is interested in camping, so I've booked my usual - Super 8. Rates are down to $80 (still seems like a lot!) If anyone cares to stay at Super 8, when making your reservations select the AAA rate - it's cheaper than their "best rate".

I'll be staying through Sunday.

InIt4TheFun
09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Got room for 1 more???

Seems too hard to pass up!! Can I come and play??

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/InIt4theFun/?action=view&current=MtBaldy3.jpg

Will

Z
09-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Got room for 1 more???

Seems too hard to pass up!! Can I come and play??

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/InIt4theFun/?action=view&current=MtBaldy3.jpg

Will

I'd love to have a WK join the group. I ordered an '08, so the more I can learn from you, the better I'll be when it comes in.

InIt4TheFun
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I'd love to have a WK join the group. I ordered an '08, so the more I can learn from you, the better I'll be when it comes in.

Count me in!!! I can arrive thurs and leave Mon. No preference on accommodations. As long as I get to 4 wheel during the day and drink at night. I will be bringing my dog but hope that does not cause a problem.

Congrats on the '08!!! I am green with envy :D !!

Will

Cody
09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah that's alot, considering all you need is a place to wash and sleep in between trails. That's why I have no problem tent camping.

$100 for 5 nights at the KOA or $400 at the hotel... hmmmm.. not a hard choice!

see, and I'm of the oppinion that if you're going to camp you shouldn't have to pay for it.

5 nights camping in the beautiful backcountry--free. 2 showers at the campground : $15.

Or 2 showers in the car wash for $2. (don't pull the high pressure handle though ;) )

I'll butt out of your thread now :D

InIt4TheFun
09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
see, and I'm of the oppinion that if you're going to camp you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I agree!! There are two things I think you should not have to pay 4 in this country. 1 is camping and the other (you can guess).

5 nights camping in the beautiful backcountry--free. 2 showers at the campground : $15.

Or 2 showers in the car wash for $2. (don't pull the high pressure handle though ;) )

I will not make that mistake again!!! Besides it is hard to find a friend that is so close to hose you off naked!!! It is worth the $15 (especially for the friend).

Could go naked on my roof rack and run thru a car wash but do recommend the touchless car washes.

I am up for a campsite!!!

PassRunnerZJ
09-11-2007, 11:10 PM
So, it is looking like I'm about 90% certain and unless something comes up with the tear-out of the first bathroom that is going to get remodeled I'm in for Saturday and Sunday. It sounds like Saturday is the Spike, what is the trail for Sunday?

If the kids had better grades, I would let them skip school on Friday, but...

Meet at City Market each morning? Early start/key-on on Saturday?

InIt4TheFun
09-12-2007, 10:07 AM

I may have gotten over zealous. It just sounded so good!! Especially when I had been drinking.

I think I should run more trails here in colorado before going to moab. Hopefully get to run some trails around denver with some of you.

So Thanks again Z. Have a blast!!!
I will be going to the GSSW tho.

Have a good 1,
Will

PassRunnerZJ
09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I may have gotten over zealous. It just sounded so good!! Especially when I had been drinking.

I think I should run more trails here in colorado before going to moab. Hopefully get to run some trails around denver with some of you.

So Thanks again Z. Have a blast!!!
I will be going to the GSSW tho.

Have a good 1,
Will

Moab wheeling and CO wheeling are different enough that you shouldn't not go to Moab as you think that you haven't done enough trails in CO. From the build list in your sig, I don't think you will have any issues with any of the trails being discussed. Actually you will be with a great bunch to learn the trails around Moab with. Not pressuring you to go though.

Liquid enthusiasm, great stuff, as long as you aren't behind the wheel.

Z
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
What Todd said. Assuming you have the 4xGuard rear skid (or even just a trailer hitch), you just need to make sure you come off the rocks perpendicular to the rock face, otherwise you risk banging the corners of your rear bumper fascia. We'll have to fill the golden crack some to get you over, but that's no big deal. John has lead at least 1 (2? 3?) WKs configured like yours on Golden Spike - with no damage.

JohnBoulderCO
09-12-2007, 11:47 PM
The only issue with the WK's was the Crack. Took one through on a weird line, but it worked. The other we filled the Crack with wood, rocks...(that doesn't sound right). :D

For the the ledges, just come off straight, you will hit your trailer hitch, but that doesn't matter, it's tough and it will protect your plastic bumper.

4" and 33's, you are plenty big. I first did Spike on 32's and only one locker and walked the Crack.

InIt4TheFun
09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Actually you will be with a great bunch to learn the trails around Moab with. Not pressuring you to go though.

Liquid enthusiasm, great stuff, as long as you aren't behind the wheel.
Sure seems like a great group to go to moab with. As for the Liquid enthusiasm, could not agree more. Besides hate to have that expensive of a paper weight in my garage because unable to drive it.

John has lead at least 1 (2? 3?) WKs configured like yours on Golden Spike - with no damage.

Was John the spotter on these pics from GSW 07?:D

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/InIt4theFun/GSW07_1.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z157/InIt4theFun/GSW07_2.jpg

Z
09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
That was Cody's handywork. Have no fear, he's not joining us for this trip.

(I'm joking, of course. Cody is normally an exceptional spotter)

InIt4TheFun
09-13-2007, 12:11 PM

LOL

I was just joking about john being the spotter. Appreciate everyones acceptance of a wk (and someone new) joining the trip and the input of getting the wk thru the points where there may be a problem. That is what 4 wheeling is about!!. Hope u do have the same motto as the Marines. "No man left behind". :D

Favorite videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XYHP13HamQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3HQd8M1C4o&mode=related&search=

Had to share,
Will

BigDaveZJ
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Hope u do have the same motto as the Marines. "No man left behind". :D

Pretty much yeah! We've done some rather interesting recoveries to get people off trails.

JohnBoulderCO
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
That's not Golden Spike, but shit does happen. One of the perils of the sport.

We adhere to the "no man left behind" no matter how much work or how long it takes to get off the trail.

Cody
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Ya, uh. Sorry about that. My perfect record spotting grands is blemished now. I will say that it was kind of "team" spotting on that one, but I still accept responsibilty.

I will say that 90% of the major damage caused while I'm spotting at GSW is on the same rig. I promise it's nothing personal against that beautiful 5.9.

InIt4TheFun
09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I will say that 90% of the major damage caused while I'm spotting at GSW is on the same rig.

How do you feel about wk's? Just need to know in advance.

BTW. On your sig, is it really $10 for a bj in salt lake city? I would of thought mormons would charge more!!

Now I will be left behind in the moab desert!!!

Cody
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
How do you feel about wk's? Just need to know in advance.

BTW. On your sig, is it really $10 for a bj in salt lake city? I would of thought mormons would charge more!!

Now I will be left behind in the moab desert!!!

I like WK's. I think a solid axled WK on 38's would be bitchin! I may be the first to cut one of them up who knows.

As for the BJ, well it's from a movie but I've heard tale that Utah Valley (30 minutes south of SLC where BYU is) has the highest rate of oral sex in the country (and prescription drug abuse too). Those crazy mormons ;)

spacely
09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm still planning on coming - just booked my hotel today (DOH!).
Are trails set in stone yet? Metal Masher is a pretty fun trail - I've done it before, just took the bypass at Widowmaker. I've always wanted to do Chicken Corners too, but I know its not a very high rating. I'm sure if I rack my brain, I'll come up with a couple others :D WOOHOO!! Should be a fun time!

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
We could piggy back Chicken Corners with Kane Creek. Thought about Lockhart Basin but thats a bit of a drive back on the road for my POS that I'd rather not have to do in the dark. It'd be a long, but doable day.

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd really like to do Pritchett on Sunday, but have a feeling it would just be John and I and that I would cause massive pain to my Dana 30.

JohnBoulderCO
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Your 30 will be fine, it's still open, right? Besides, who needs lockers for Pritchett? ;)

nate
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I hear you there, though the group is all going to be at the KOA. I looked into camping at the park, and it was like $8 a night I think, so the KOA isn't too bad.
I am splitting up my tent sight with 4 guys in all so it will be like $35 each. :)

I'll butt out of your thread now :D

BigDaveZJ
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Looks like the weather will be freaking gorgeous while we're out there. Mid 80's, no rain.

Anybody got any ideas/requests for Sunday? I'm thinking something on the harder side, 4-4+.

cjchamp
09-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Ill do anything as long as I make it to sunday!:)

BigDaveZJ
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Ill do anything as long as I make it to sunday!:)

I'm just glad you got a truck and trailer, that way you won't have to drive my ZJ back on I-70 with your CJ on my trailer!

:flipoff2:

cjchamp
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I like driving your junk....just remind me how to take it out of 4 low before we hit I70

BigDaveZJ
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I like driving your junk....just remind me how to take it out of 4 low before we hit I70

You'd think the engine screaming at 5k RPM's in 4th gear and you only going 25-30 mph would've been enough of a hint!! LOL

cjchamp
09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
At that point I just didnt care....until your jeep decided that it didnt like that....and poped out on its own....Non-the less Broken I will be soon.
Josh

spacely
09-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I'd be up for Metal Masher or Steel Bender, on the 4ish rating side. But obviously I'd be up to doing a little easier trail too - like Fins N Things, Elephant Hill or even Secret Spire. Sorries if those are TOO easy but I gots a lil' jeep! :D

BigDaveZJ
09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Who's all going too??

Me & Pam
Josh & Nicole (cjchamp)
Stacey
Tom
John? You still in?

cjchamp
09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
C'mon.....Show of hands.
Josh

JohnBoulderCO
09-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Yes. I'm going.

Bustin' Loose
09-22-2007, 01:46 PM

:eek:

You leave my husbands junk alone! Besides, I'm thinking Nicole my take issue as well. :coffee:

Anyway, I'm with Dave on Sunday (obviously). I'd like to do something on the harder side assuming our shit ain't broken or something will really cool views. Although, Fins and Things makes me kinda go eh... I have no idea why but that trial has never kindled any desire to run it.

JohnBoulderCO
09-22-2007, 01:52 PM
No Fins for me. Half a dozen times is enough for me.

BigDaveZJ
09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
No Fins for me. Half a dozen times is enough for me.

Yeah, once was enough for me.

Z
09-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I still want to do Porcupine Rim sometime. No one ever seems up for that trail. Maybe once on that trail is enough too.

(I still like Fins. I don't need/want to run it this time but I don't see why everyone is so down on it)

cjchamp
09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Nicole and I dont care about trails really, and Nicole is cool with me and daves junk being near eachother just no touching in any way.......We're still talking about jeeps right?:D

JohnBoulderCO
09-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I still want to do Porcupine Rim sometime.
I'd rather do that again, then Fins again.

JohnBoulderCO
09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
The weather is going to be fantastic! Low to mid 80's and sun. :D

InIt4TheFun
09-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I would still like to join the trip. Would arrive Fri and leave mon staying at koaa tent site.

Went on a trip with some of the mallcrawlin guys at spring creek and what a great bunch. If you are half as fun as them, I will have a great time.;)

Not sure if you have nailed down the trail selection but sounds like Golden Crack is the only issue. Never been and looks like a good opportunity to have some fun.

Thanks,
Will

JohnBoulderCO
09-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Cool. You will be fine on Spike.

Z
09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I would still like to join the trip. Would arrive Fri and leave mon staying at koaa tent site.

Went on a trip with some of the mallcrawlin guys at spring creek and what a great bunch. If you are half as fun as them, I will have a great time.;)

Not sure if you have nailed down the trail selection but sounds like Golden Crack is the only issue. Never been and looks like a good opportunity to have some fun.

Thanks,
Will
Just put a tire in the Golden Crack and you'll be fine.

I presume we'll be meeting at City Market around 7:30, ready to hit the trail (So arriving at City Market at 7:00 is what you should shoot for)

BigDaveZJ
09-23-2007, 10:35 PM
7:30 for Spike sounds good. We should make better time than the GSW trip, but with daylight coming a couple hours earlier 7:30 should work.

I would also much rather do Porcupine Rim again instead of Fins, but not sure I want to do it again so soon after doing it last fall. I was hoping to run some more difficult trails that I haven't done before.

JohnBoulderCO
09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I was hoping to run some more difficult trails that I haven't done before.
Pritchett?

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
How about Area BFE on Sunday, looks like there's a little something for everyone there.

InIt4TheFun
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
How about Area BFE on Sunday, looks like there's a little something for everyone there.

ROFLMAO!!!

Maybe I am looking at wrong area. http://www.areabfe.com/trails.php

The trail Minor Threat (which I thought would be easy by the name) requires winch, 35" tires and at least rear locker.

I like the description for Black Flag. "To Date: None have completed this trail!"

You are scaring the shit out of me Dave!!!

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Green Day and Strike Ravine are pretty mellow. We could schedule an appointment for Suicidal Tendencies, they REQUIRE that EMT's be on-site for you to run that one!

JohnBoulderCO
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Wow! I like the names of these trails.

How many on this board have seen Black Flag? I guess I'm showing my age. :D

---------

I'm sure we can find a good variaty of trails for everyone. Start suggesting now and we can firm up in the City Market partking lot each morning like we usually do.

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 11:47 AM

---------

I'm sure we can find a good variaty of trails for everyone. Start suggesting now and we can firm up in the City Market partking lot each morning like we usually do.

Heard of Black Flag, never actually seen the entire band in concert. But we're going to Henry Rollins' spoken word/standup show at the Paramount in October.

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
So when's everyone heading out there? We'll be heading out Thursday afternoon as soon as Pam can get out of work, I think we'll be on the road by 2 or so.

ALSO, if anyone will be in Junction by 6PM, think about taking the time to stop and make your voice be heard at the Moab RMP meeting in Junction! http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/planning/get_involved.html

JohnBoulderCO
09-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm heading out at 3:30 from Boulder. Not sure if I can leave earlier.

InIt4TheFun
09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I will not get there till friday afternoon. Set up camp. Would like to go if you do dinner after the trail. Tom has my cell. If not, cya Sat morning 7:00-7:30 at city market.

Z
09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm taking of all of Thursday, so Dave and Pam, I can leave whenever you are ready.

On Friday, I'd like to eat at Moab Brewery - a friend of mine is arriving around 8 pm and I told him we'd be eating there. It'd be a good place for Will to catch up with us, too.

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Our current plan is to meet up with Josh and Nicole somewhere along 470. Maybe we'll move the meeting spot a little closer to 70 and we can all meet up there. Maybe that big gas station right by Bandimere?

cjchamp
09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Sounds good to me, morrison exit....maybe in the parking area little further down the road, as that huge gas station your reffering to is actually pretty small. At least for two trailers and a few rigs...none the less im brown and down!

JohnBoulderCO
09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I might catch up to you guys. ;)

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I might catch up to you guys. ;)

Yeah, I may need to hook a strap to Josh and Tom going up the hills! :flipoff2:

JohnBoulderCO
09-24-2007, 10:36 PM
That's what I was thinking. I'll call you or Tom when I'm on the road, see how much of a head start you have.

PassRunnerZJ
09-24-2007, 11:14 PM

---------

Listended to their music back in the 80s, wait still do channel 29... Saw Gang of Four last year at the Paramont too:D

Still trying to get this trip together on my end as I really want to do the Spike again. Channel 10 on the CB's as I'll probably meet you all at the PSM trail head since I will likely be hitting town Saturday AM.

cjchamp
09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
DAVE?

BigDaveZJ
09-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Josh??
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771016

:flipoff2:

cjchamp
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
its a rave dave..............ROTFLMAO
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WrzJ-NDRHgM

cjchamp
09-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Nevermind the last one.........LOL.............Im dying.....this guy actually resembles you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8i-fyLeaXWE&mode=related&search=

InIt4TheFun
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Just put a tire in the Golden Crack and you'll be fine.

Talked with Russ today about removing sway bar end links. Will probably remove them at camp site.

Hate to say I ran Spike and have the disclaimer that I had to put a spare in the crack;) .

Like having the worse case senario covered tho.

InIt4TheFun
09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Nevermind the last one.........LOL.............Im dying.....this guy actually resembles you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8i-fyLeaXWE&mode=related&search=

That scares the shit out of me more ("this guy actually resembles you") then going to bfe :D .

JohnBoulderCO
09-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Hate to say I ran Spike and have the disclaimer that I had to put a spare in the crack;)

That's the spirit! We will get you across the Crack.

You can consider the various lines (options) and decide if you want to tag your bumpers a little, a lot or not at all.

spacely
09-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Sounds good to me, morrison exit....maybe in the parking area little further down the road, as that huge gas station your reffering to is actually pretty small. At least for two trailers and a few rigs...none the less im brown and down!

The brontosaurus lot is a good place to meet...I'll meet up with you guys wherever if that's alright. I'm off work at 12:30 :D

UH, not sure if my little jeep can do Spike (Dave/Pam - thoughts?), so if I can't run in it, is there someone I can ride shotgun with? I'll take pictures :D :D

InIt4TheFun
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
That's the spirit! We will get you across the Crack.

You can consider the various lines (options) and decide if you want to tag your bumpers a little, a lot or not at all.

Might as well find out the weak points!!!

You are covered by disclaimer:

Legal Disclaimer:
-I am not a professional 4x4er nor do I consider myself one.
-I am solely a 4x4 hobbyist who is constantly pursuing a better vehicle.
-I in no way can or will be held responsible (monetarily or otherwise) for any damage
caused to your vehicle or yourself by taking the advice given by myself.
-If you choose to use any of my suggestions or advise, you are doing so at your own risk.

Z
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Until you get some armor on the corners of your rear bumper, I'd suggest a little help on the Crack. If it were my WK, I'd take the tire.

InIt4TheFun
09-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Until you get some armor on the corners of your rear bumper, I'd suggest a little help on the Crack. If it were my WK, I'd take the tire.

It is a stupid person who does not listen to advise from people who have been there!!!

We will give it a try and if not, it is the tire. Just want to figure out what it would take next time while we are there.

Look forward to trip,
Will

Matt
09-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Have fun and be safe!

I'll be thinking of ya from the XRRA on Sat. :)

cjchamp
09-26-2007, 01:13 AM
XRRA...........only if I could be two people............
Josh

BigDaveZJ
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Josh and I aren't exactly sure of what time we'll be taking off, so it might be best for us to not really have a set time to be somewhere. We PLAN on being on the road around 2, but really aren't sure at this point.

If we end up not meeting up with any of you on the road, let's plan on meeting at Shitty Market (same spot as GSW, south side of the building) at 8:00 with plans to leave at 8:30?

I think we've all got each other's cell #'s so we should be good. We'll be on Ch 10 on the drive out there unless there's too much other traffic on 10. Also, Tom, I have your handheld CB for some reason. I can't remember who it was, but someone at GSW gave it to me to give back to you.

We'll also plan on dinner Friday night at the Brewery, and then a 7:00AM meet with a 7:30 departure for Spike on Saturday. Sunday is still up in the air, and we'll probably sleep in a bit, especially if we just go to Area BFE.

NIGHT RUNS. I'm thinking a night run, maybe Cliffhanger one night. Cliffhanger and Spider are the only trails I feel comfortable enough doing in the dark based on route finding.

Bustin' Loose
09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Stacey, we'll have to have a gathering of minds on Friday to see what we think about you making spike. There are a lot of large ledges and then there's the crack. John has done spike and lead it often but normallly with ZJ's and we normally recommend 32's and a locker. We'll see how things go on Friday. If not, we'll figure out what to do from there.

I'm down with a night run as long as it doesn't get too cold at night. And I'd be up for Spider. Cliffhanger scares me a bit at night. :)

InIt4TheFun
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
UH, not sure if my little jeep can do Spike (Dave/Pam - thoughts?), so if I can't run in it, is there someone I can ride shotgun with? I'll take pictures :D :D

Would be great to have a shotgun to give me moral support ;) .

Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. If we do bfe then I will let you pick the trail (spacely) and I will run it with you on Sun if they pick harder trails.

spacely
09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Would be great to have a shotgun to give me moral support ;) .

Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. If we do bfe then I will let you pick the trail (spacely) and I will run it with you on Sun if they pick harder trails.

OH...cool deal! I guess we'll see what everyone thinks Friday about my rig's capability to do Spike. And its totally up to you if you want to do an easier trail with me or run the harder one with everyone else. I figured if everyone was doing the harder trail, I could go hiking or something :D

InIt4TheFun
09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
OH...cool deal! I guess we'll see what everyone thinks Friday about my rig's capability to do Spike. And its totally up to you if you want to do an easier trail with me or run the harder one with everyone else. I figured if everyone was doing the harder trail, I could go hiking or something :D

This works out great!! I just want to run spike and I am set. Have no need to run harder one!!

No need to hike if you want to get out and 4wheel. I will run any trail you pick on Sun. I would just like to c moab as I have never been.

Look forward to trip,
Will

JohnBoulderCO
09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
8am meeting Friday morning at City Market sounds good. Might see each other on the road on the drive out Thursday, might not.
Dinner Friday at the Brewery sounds good too.

Z
09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
All looks good to me. Dave, since you don't know when you're out of here, I'll probably just take off on my own - probably between 1 and 2 pm.

cjchamp
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Its ON!!! Im excited but a bit nervous to tow....Dave you need to give me moral support as Im thinking the little engine that could....LOL
Josh

BigDaveZJ
09-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Its ON!!! Im excited but a bit nervous to tow....Dave you need to give me a strap up the big hills....LOL
Josh

Fixed! :flipoff2:

At least it'll be better than my first time towing out to Moab. It wasn't my truck, wasn't my trailer, my Heep on the trailer, couldn't get the trailer brakes to work, oh yeah, and there 6" of snow on the roads!