PDA

View Full Version : GSSW Lodging Info:

Pitch
08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
The Sedona/Cottonwood area has an abundance of lodging. Our morning driver's meetings will take place in West Sedona (along US Hwy 89A).

You can easily do an online hotel search to find lodging either in Sedona, the Village of Oak Creek, Cottonwood (17 miles South), Camp Verde (20 ,miles South East), Jerome (28 miles south), or even Flagstaff (32 miles north).

The hotels suggested below are certainly along the economy line, but accomodations can be had locally in the 5 star, $1K per night range if you feel the need to indulge:

White House Inn: 2986 West Highway 89A just west of morning meeting spot. Rooms from $49-$75 (pets OK) http://www.whitehouseinn.netfirms.com/

La Vista Motel:500 N. Highway 89A Phone: (928) 282-0000 or (800) 896-7301

Camping: Rancho Sedona RV Park: http://www.ranchosedona.com/
Rio Verde RV Park (15 miles South) http://www.go-arizona.com/Rio-Verde-RV-Park/
National Forest Service-run campgrounds: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/red_rock/rec_redrock.shtml

or, numerous primitive camping sites are available south of Sedona in the Coconino National Forest, esp. off of FR 9845, approx 4 miles W. of Sedona (towards Cottonwood). Within the National Forest, a Red Rock Pass must be obtained for parking/camping within the Red Rock Ranger District. Numerous ranger stations and vending machines around Sedona will offer Passes.

Colorado 5.9
08-06-2007, 01:44 AM
$1K!!!!:eek:

You meen $100.:D

BigDaveZJ
08-06-2007, 08:51 AM
No Scott, I'm sure he meant $1000. $100 doesn't get you anywhere close to a 5-star hotel anymore. Shit, a basic room at the Hyatt downtown is over $200 a night.

Jsk8r1
08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
No Scott, I'm sure he meant $1000. $100 doesn't get you anywhere close to a 5-star hotel anymore. Shit, a basic room at the Hyatt downtown is over $200 a night.

$75 in Nogales Mexico will get you a 5-star hotel :D

BigDaveZJ
08-06-2007, 10:04 AM

$75 in some areas of Mexico will get you a shit load more than just a hotel!!! :eek:

Sandy R
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM

How long is the drive from Nogales to the trailhead?

Sandy R
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
For those of us staying in at night it does seem like it would be nice to try and stay at the same place, one to see if a group rate can be negotiated, two to spend social time together, and three to help eachother if any wrenching in the parking lot is necessary. I'm game to stay almost anywhere that I'm not sharing the room with rodents or bugs the size of rodents or at a place that costs me more than $125 or so a night.

KevinF
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
$75 in some areas of Mexico will get you a shit load more than just a hotel!!! :eek:

Or, how far is it *TO* Nogales *FROM* the trail head? LOL.

Kevin

MitchRonda
08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I have 5 day FREE passes for a 5 star RV resort in camp verdy if any body wants, just have to call & make reseverations-comes with free dinner...NO buy in requiered...M...

Sandy R
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Or, how far is it *TO* Nogales *FROM* the trail head? LOL.

Kevin

Kevin, you start where you want and I'll start where I want! :D

KevinF
08-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Kevin, you start where you want and I'll start where I want! :D

Hell, I'm thinking Dave might be on to something, here. LOL!!! Donkey show...here we come!!!

Colorado 5.9
08-26-2007, 04:18 AM
So those of you staying at a Motel. What are your thoughts. Have any planners tried to get a group rate? Sandy is right about trying to stay at the same place.

La Vista is jeep freindly & on the north side of town.
I'm not so sure about The White House Inn.

Back in 2000 we stayed at the Bell Rock Inn when I made a road trip to pic up my Sliderz from Kevin. It was really nice but I can't remember how much a night it was. I do remember though a JU group had a wheeling meet in Sedona that weekend & had a group rate setup there. That's why we stayed there.

I have a feeling it's under new ownership/management though.

It's on the south end of town.
http://www.ilxresorts.com/resort/bell_rock_inn_suites

BigDaveZJ
08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Hell, I'm thinking Dave might be on to something, here. LOL!!! Donkey show...here we come!!!

Just make sure it's not Kinky Kelly!! (Clerks 2 reference)

Sandy R
08-26-2007, 10:23 AM
So those of you staying at a Motel. What are your thoughts. Have any planners tried to get a group rate? Sandy is right about trying to stay at the same place.

La Vista is jeep freindly & on the north side of town.
I'm not so sure about The White House Inn.

Back in 2000 we stayed at the Bell Rock Inn when I made a road trip to pic up my Sliderz from Kevin. It was really nice but I can't remember how much a night it was. I do remember though a JU group had a wheeling meet in Sedona that weekend & had a group rate setup there. That's why we stayed there.

I have a feeling it's under new ownership/management though.

It's on the south end of town.
http://www.ilxresorts.com/resort/bell_rock_inn_suites

Scott:
Not sure if these are the prices regularly or if you have to see a time share presentation to get them. I like the idea of finding a place that will accommodate all of our budgets and parking lot needs. Maybe if there is enough of us staying at a particular place we can get a group rate. The Bell Rock Inn looks fine for me but maybe we should start by asking the GSSW Planners who are staying inside where they are staying?
http://www.ilxresorts.com/resort/los_abrigados_resort_spa/specials (http://www.ilxresorts.com/resort/los_abrigados_resort_spa/specials)

Pitch
08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I stopped at the La Vista Motel today. They have 16 rooms total. It is an older motel... not run down, but not new either. It is on the north end of uptown Sedona. All rooms appear to be suites with a small balcony and picnic area out back. It overlooks the red rocks and the creek. It is within walking distance to numerous restaurants, shops, etc. Plenty of parking either out front (fronts 89A/Main Street Sedona). All rooms have a mini fridge and microwave.
Rates:
Queen 69.95
King 79-89
2Dbls or Queens 79-89
www.Lavistamotel.com

Per the front desk clerk when asked if they were Jeep friendly, "Sure. I don't want people changing their oil out front on the road, but as long as you don't do any damage or spill stuff everywhere that is OK. If you have the hood popped up and are checking things out that is fine, we are pretty relaxed here."

I will be staying at LaVista for at least 1-2 nights during GSSW.

The White House Inn is a basic motel, probably the best rate that you are going to find in town. I suspect slightly less Jeep friendly.

The Bell Rock Inn that you mentioned is 6-7 miles south of Sedona in the Village of Oak Creek. While still technically Sedona... it is quite a drive from most of town. I wouldn't stay that far away if you plan on being close to everything.

I am looking into a location for us to fix our junk if it breaks on the trails (other than the trail or the motel parking lot). Will post back up when I know more.

Colorado 5.9
08-27-2007, 02:36 AM
Can we park right in front of the rooms at La Vista?

Also I saw looking at Google Earth. Is the La Vista right about on the curve where 89a goes west & 179 heads south?

Looks like it is just west of Schnebly Road too.

Pitch
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, there is parking right in front of the rooms. Some are facing the road. Others face Oak Creek Canyon.

La Vista is about 1/2 mile from "the Y" where 89A and 179 split. This is ~1 road mile and about 300 yards as the crow flies from the start of Schnebley Hil Rd.

recon zj
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Pitch. Just made my reservations at the La Vista.

Oh, I checked with the front desk and 5.9s from Colorado aren't allowed in the parking lot at all. :eek: Sorry, Scott.

gary

Sandy R
08-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info, Pitch. Just made my reservations at the La Vista.
gary

Just made mine at La Vista too.
Thanks for scoping out the road Eric.

Colorado 5.9
08-28-2007, 12:13 AM
LOL, Theat's OK. I'm sure I can park down in the creek.

recon zj
08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
LOL, Theat's OK. I'm sure I can park down in the creek.

:D See ya there!

Colorado 5.9
08-28-2007, 07:02 AM
I hope. Can't commit just yet.

Pitch
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I confirmed today with Farabee's Jeep Rentals that we can at least have a parking lot to fix our broken Jeeps in. Farabees is nearly across the street from the White House Inn and about 3 miles south of LaVista.

InIt4TheFun
09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I will be camping.

La Vista will not let me stay there with my dog. Refuse to leave him behind as he enjoys the mountains as much as I do.

Intrested in what others are doing as far as camping.

Would like to be in the same area.

MitchRonda
09-06-2007, 02:54 AM
We will be "camping" w/our DOG too..."GO"ing up on the 18th to find a spot for our 36' Southwind-close to the action, not sure where yet(need more details)...see ya there...MITCH...
I will be camping.

La Vista will not let me stay there with my dog. Refuse to leave him behind as he enjoys the mountains as much as I do.

InIt4TheFun
09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
We will be "camping" w/our DOG too..."GO"ing up on the 18th to find a spot for our 36' Southwind-close to the action, not sure where yet(need more details)...see ya there...MITCH...

I have relatives in your neck of the woods (or desert)!! Last name Vivian

MitchRonda
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Did some checking & think we are "GO"ing to do Dead Horse Ranch St.Park...Cottonwood...No reseverations...184 full hook-ups...DOGS OK !!! They said to call the 1 day before arival to verify site...MITCH...

InIt4TheFun
09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Guess I will be dispersed camping.

Will arrive on the 18th to pick my camp site.

Hopefully someone will let me take a shower on Sat. at La Vista otherwise you may be able to smell me on the trails.

Colorado 5.9
09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
In case you didn't notice at the tope of the thread. The WhiteHouse Inn is pet friendly. I think a few are staying there too. Not sure though.

InIt4TheFun
09-07-2007, 09:01 PM
In case you didn't notice at the tope of the thread. The WhiteHouse Inn is pet friendly. I think a few are staying there too. Not sure though.

Looking at the avg temp of Sedona (altitude 4,700) during Oct (77 high 48 low) it should be easy camping 4 someone from CO. Besides my dog can do what he wants (hahaha).

It is good to know that Whitehouse Inn can be my backup plan if it gets too cold. I did call them and they want $80 a night ($10 for my dog).

$80 a night x 3 nights = $240

OME Springs and struts = $220

I will be going with the OME Springs and struts unless it gets too cold then I will be reconsidering my options.

MitchRonda
09-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey, Dead Horse Ranch has hot showers...M...
Guess I will be dispersed camping.

Will arrive on the 18th to pick my camp site.

Hopefully someone will let me take a shower on Sat. at La Vista otherwise you may be able to smell me on the trails.

MitchRonda
09-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Just got con-fer on res. for Page Springs RV resort. About half way between Cottonwood/Sedona off 89-A hope this is close to the meeting place/staging area...17th-22nd...FREE...(part of our membership with ROD-Resorts of Distinction)...About 3 miles form Red Canyon Road-Is this the right place to be ??? ...See ya there...:D ...M...

Pitch
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Just got con-fer on res. for Page Springs RV resort. About half way between Cottonwood/Sedona off 89-A hope this is close to the meeting place/staging area...17th-22nd...FREE...(part of our membership with ROD-Resorts of Distinction)...About 3 miles form Red Canyon Road-Is this the right place to be ??? ...See ya there...:D ...M...

The Page Springs RV resort seems like a nice place. Right on Oak Creek (cool little local's restaurant next door). It is probably 6-8 miles from our morning meeting spot... not a bad drive at all, and closer than Cottonwood. There are couple of (what AZ likes to pass off as) wineries just down the road from there... not trying to lead you astray from a weekend of Jeeping!

MitchRonda
09-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Never been much of a "wineo" But have been known to pound down a few buds :rolleyes: & a bit of Jack & Coke :drinkers: ( in another life) but I would not want to miss any thing becouse of a hang over...:smt013 ...
...Any way glad to here we are close to the launch-pad...:D...
...THANK'S...MITCH...SEE YA THERE...

Halfdoc
09-15-2007, 01:00 AM
As I will likely be dragging the TT up for lodging, we will probably be neighbors. Did they seem to have any problems with availability?

David.

MitchRonda
09-15-2007, 02:18 AM
As I will likely be dragging the TT up for lodging, we will probably be neighbors. Did they seem to have any problems with availability?

David.
If you call them now you will get in, There peak-season is starting about now...Are you ROD/AOR/WHR Member ??? We will see ya there...M...

InIt4TheFun
10-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I will be just down the street from you Mitch at lo lo springs with a tent.

Looks like a good place to be!!

Look forward to the trip,
Will

MitchRonda
10-03-2007, 10:27 PM
...COOL... We are ready to "GO" NOW!!! Can't wait...you be there for the fri-morn meeting??? We should be able to get you into the showers if needed...We will be getting my wifes girl (greyhound at Benson) at 11:00am the 17th & heading up shortly after that...see ya there...M...

Will

InIt4TheFun
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
...COOL... We are ready to "GO" NOW!!! Can't wait...you be there for the fri-morn meeting??? We should be able to get you into the showers if needed...We will be getting my wifes girl (greyhound at Benson) at 11:00am the 17th & heading up shortly after that...see ya there...M...

I am ready to go now but my jeep isn't. Still making repairs from my last trip but will be ready for GSSW!!! Will caravan down with CO guys on Thurs and ready to have fun on fri.

Thanks for the offer on showers!! May stop by for a beer tho!!

tywilson88
10-04-2007, 02:56 AM
I will be camping.

sleep in the heep. that is what i plan to do if i go

hoffyinaz
10-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Will

Do you have a website or number to "lo lo springs"????
I'll try and stay there also.

InIt4TheFun
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.lolomai.com/

never been there. if you find a different place to camp, please let me know. thanks

InIt4TheFun
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't know about camping there after reading these comments

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g31401-d272030-Reviews-Lo_Lo_Mai_Springs_Campground_RV_Park-West_Sedona_Arizona.html

MitchRonda
10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Try http://www.sunriseresorts.com PageSpirings RV resort, Cant find any thing about tenting call & ask

InIt4TheFun
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
No tent camping there and had no recommendations.

Think i will go on FR 9845 (from pitch) and setup camp.

MitchRonda
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
...Sorry...Was worth a shot...Ya know you wont be there much anyway even if they got bad reviews...DeadHorse still an opp??? Lil bit further down the road but supposed to be a nice place...

hoffyinaz
10-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Lo Lo was $30 a night to leave a tent............ NOT
I'll post whatever I find here, should know by mid next week.

hoffyinaz
10-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Looks like Manzanita or Bootlegger Campground are only 6-10 miles north in Sedona.
$18 per night, $7 additional for a second vehicle. 8 people per site, I will only have me and 1 son in 1 jeep so anyone wanna join me feel free. I'll arrive early morning friday (4-5am) and get a spot.
I'll call Manzanita tomorrow and see if I can reserve.

Halfdoc
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM
BTW I was able to drive by the LoLo Mai today. It looks nice. After passing no less than five 5 mph signs, the greeter reminded me to proceed slowly at no more than 5 mph. I believe that they truly want you to walk.

Anyway decent spots with concrete slabs, plenty of shade, and I didn't notice any odor on our brief drive through.

David.

InIt4TheFun
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I am looking at getting at Manzanita on thurs afternoon. The reservations look tight for fri and sat but they have 7 sites that are first come first serve. Same offer if anyone needs a place to park jeep and sleep.

Looking at reservations it looks like it will be no problem getting one of the first come first serve sites. going to try and get site 4 (click on map) as it looks like more space.

Manzanita looks nice and right off 89a.

Thanks for ckin lolo out david!!!
And as hoffy said $30 plus they want extra for my dog.

http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteCalendar.do?page=calendar&calarvdate=10/08/2007&agency=NRRS&parkId=5143

MitchRonda
10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Will, Ronda says we'll be up for dinner thurs-eve...I got your # & IF we have service, Than I'll give ya a call so we can meet up some where...What do you do with your dog when you "GO" out to eat ??? We will have a "Sitter"(stepdaughter) so we will be able to leave ours at the motorhome...
Arn't you bringing some others with you 2 ??? Anyway we'll see ya there...M...

MitchRonda
10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Will, Looks like a M&G for thursday night-See ya there...M...