PDA

View Full Version : Bender Dies

zj95maxx
07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Can anyone school me on these? The whole sizing thing confuses me. I am looking into the 1.75 die but I am confused as to what I am actually getting and the thigns it can do.

Bender comes in tomorrow, just havnt really understood on what die to get..help is appreciated.

ATL ZJ
07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Did you take geometry in high school? Think circles. It's an easy concept.

Or are you asking what die is best? You will notice that the smaller radius dies can complete bends in a shorter distance. Using the [2piR squared] equation, you have a smaller circumference. Simple. But that comes at the expense of the minimum tube thickness you can use- with the smaller radius dies, you'll need to use a slightly thicker wall than you would with the larger dies for the same size tube. That just ensures that your tube won't kink. But you will probably be bending all .120 wall anyways, so it's a rather moot point.

I'd get a die that will bend 180* in case you need it. I've never bent much past 120 but I'm glad I could go farther if I wanted to.

zj95maxx
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
ok so the 5.5 clr..that will bend 180 degree bends? Sorry if these questions are retarded, just trying to learn, and I cant seem to find the "bending 101" on PBB that chad had posted in another topic..

ATL ZJ
07-31-2007, 08:25 AM
All the info you need is on JD2's site. Both of their dies for 1.75 will bend 180*.