PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Jack

spykosshow
07-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Just a recommendation to anyone that has to drop a transmission - Purchase this jack from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39178

It's amazing how easy this makes dropping the tranny. Had to take mine out today and it took me just over an hour from start to having the tranny next to the jeep. It has a load capacity of 450lbs, and is easy as pie to raise and lower with a 1/2 drive.

CurtP
07-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I have that jack up in my garage attic, and it's the biggest POS I've ever used. I hate it. The plate on it is too small to stabalize the transmission. I've dropped two transmissions off that piece of shit.

I also have the HF transmission jack adapter. It's better, but I don't like it either - sits up too high so you have to get the vehicle WAY up in the air to be able to get a tranny out from under it.

I just recently used a HF hydraulic transmission jack to pull a Clark manual transmission out of my dad's Chevy C70 medium-duty truck (cast iron housing, around 450#) and it worked very well. I just looked around on HF's website and it's not listed anymore. It has a head almost identical to the jack adapter one, but it drops much lower. We didn't even have to jack his truck up to get it out from under it (but we did have to drop the intermediate driveshaft and PTO).

spykosshow
07-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow, that's odd to hear. The tranny was plenty stable for me, or at least it was a lot more stable then using a normal jack like the last time I had to remove the tranny.

auggeren911
07-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm a tool tech for harbor freight, we sell at least 150 of these a week country wide. This is one of our best selling product, I just got one to use to lower my transfer case. only problem I see are the straps getting cought in the wheels.

CurtP
07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Probably the best seller because it's the cheapest.

Both transmissions I dropped off it were manuals. It does work pretty well holding up one side of an axle though :D

corrupt143
07-30-2007, 02:08 AM
It does work pretty well holding up one side of an axle though :D

X2 and holding sliders up to the rockers while you finish fabricating the the brackets.:smt080

TrojanMan
07-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I used it last night, worked a lot beter than I suspected.

death-mobile
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
For 80 bucks it doesn't look much different than a 3 ton jack with a piece of wood on it, and one of the ratchet straps you use to hold your lunch box down.