PDA

View Full Version : Announcement: 4th Annual Grand Slam Southwest! Friday, October 19, 2007

chadjans
07-24-2007, 11:12 PM
4th Annual Grand Slam Southwest! Friday, October 19, 2007 to Sunday, October 21, 2007 In the Sedona / Cottonwood, Arizona Area. Details to follow!

hoffyinaz
07-26-2007, 12:35 AM
i'm in

axle13
07-26-2007, 01:44 AM
count me in

Sandy R
07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Is there a lodging recommendation yet close to the staging area?

Pitch
07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Sandy,

I hope to get some lodging recommendations in place by next Sunday (Aug 5th).

There will be campground camping (RV friendly), primitive camping, and I will try to narrow it down from the 50-60 hotels in the area... in search of the best deal of course!

-Eric

Sandy R
07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Sandy,

I hope to get some lodging recommendations in place by next Sunday (Aug 5th).

There will be campground camping (RV friendly), primitive camping, and I will try to narrow it down from the 50-60 hotels in the area... in search of the best deal of course!

-Eric

Thanks Eric. After a long hot, dusty day on the trail I'm into showers and matresses. Definitely doesn't need to be anything fancy though. I'm used to the Redstone. :D Hopefully there will be one place where all us wimps can stay.

Holdon
07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
We would love to join you all this year. We will be in Sedona that weekend. Just a quick question. Is this event strickly for the hardcore rock machines? We are just not set up for severe duty. We can get thru alot but there is a limit to our ZJ. Let me know. Thanks

FearTheDentist
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
We would love to join you all this year. We will be in Sedona that weekend. Just a quick question. Is this event strickly for the hardcore rock machines? We are just not set up for severe duty. We can get thru alot but there is a limit to our ZJ. Let me know. Thanks

Not at all- we specifically chose Sedona this year so there would be a better variety of trails available for everyone, especially more moderate trails than we had last year. You'll have several trail choices you'll enjoy.

Varkyl
07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
I would say "I am in" but it is too close to the wife's due date. Otherwise we would be all over this. We have been waiting for GSSW since we missed last year's.

KevinF
08-04-2007, 02:15 AM
I would say "I am in" but it is too close to the wife's due date. Otherwise we would be all over this. We have been waiting for GSSW since we missed last year's.

You might want to re-think that, Nathan...we WILL have at least two doctors and an EMT on the trail. Probably better service than the hospital. ;-)

Happy early Father's day!!

Kevin

KevinF
08-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Guys, we'll have a bit more info for you in the next few days with respect to trail choices and accommodations for the wimps. This is a BEAUTIFUL area of the country, and if you've not seen the Red Rocks of Sedona, you're in for a real treat. Also, there are some very nice resorts in town, so if you are striking out asking the wife if you can go alone, bring her along and have her get a mani/pedi at the hotel while you're on the trail.

I can't believe I know what a mani/pedi is, LOL.

Kevin

My66coupe
08-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Depending on the condition of the ol shit box. Count me in.

rickbeer
08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
My first post here

I would like to join in on the fun & if both my Beer Bratt's get the weekend off they will follow me up in their Jeeps
Any ideas what trails we will be wheeling on ??
Also any trails on State Trust land were we need permits ?? for those who dont have one I would highly recomend on getting one real soon

tpuckett
08-05-2007, 08:11 PM
i'm in i'll be looking for camping spots close buy looking foward to this my first:)

Pitch
08-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Also any trails on State Trust land were we need permits ??

Trail lists will be posted closer to our event dates. But, trails will be able to accommodate all levels of Grand Cherokees from near stock to chopped, locked, and no fear of body damage.

None of the trails that we will be running will require a State Land Trust Permit. All will be on National Forest Land. However, a Red Rock Pass may be required/recommended depending upon your trail selection for the weekend. They are available for a nominal fee. Also, the America the Beautiful Pass or National Parks Pass with the Golden Eagle Upgrade will grant you the same access as the Red Rock Pass. Any/all of these can be obtained in the Sedona area.

MitchRonda
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
WE'RE IN...Hope there is a place I can park my 36' southwind close to the launch-pad...See ya there...MITCH & FAMILY... ...WWOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

MitchRonda
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
P.S. Anybody else have moter-homes we could "Circle the wagons" for a "Base camp" sort of thing... Let us know...Maybe "Convoy" ??? We mite leave St.David on the 18th to find a good spot...MITCH...

Cody
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Depending on the answer to this question, you may be up there for greatest 1st post of all time...

Assuming these are your kids......
Do you call them "Beer Bratt's" because of the conditions in which they were conceived or because your surname is something awesome like "Beer". The former would make this the greatest first post ever, the latter just means you have a kick ass last name.

as for the topic at hand, I would love to come, but doubt I could make it. Driving my gutless ZJ that far would cause my head to explode.

My first post here

I would like to join in on the fun & if both my Beer Bratt's get the weekend off they will follow me up in their Jeeps
Also any trails on State Trust land were we need permits ?? for those who dont have one I would highly recomend on getting one real soon

Pitch
08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Cody, I do believe that Rick's last name is Beer. He is a local tire sales legend here in AZ.

Sandy R
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Cody, I do believe that Rick's last name is Beer. He is a local tire sales legend here in AZ.

Does that mean kick-ass specials may be offered on new rubbers?

rickbeer
08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Legend Wow
Been in the tire business over twenty years Thanks
I am no longer in the stores.. I have a new counter that involves a sterring wheel & driving all over Arizona & yes Killer dealz are still available You just dont need to hunt me down what location I am at....
The Beer bratts are my sons now young men 18 & 19 Both drive there own Jeeps Been driving off road since the age of 10 I think "getting old cant rember"
Years ago while on a wheeling/camping trip they were acting up acting like Bratt's :smt088 so the name stuck
Back on subject
How many rigs are expected ? what was last years turn out like?
Is there anybody out there on the "Do not Wheel with list" J/K

Cody
08-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Is there anybody out there on the "Do not Wheel with list" J/K

Just Chad. But he probably won't wheel and if he actually does someone will just have to drive his rig through any tough spots for him ;) ;)

mckeonm
08-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Rick,

Last year we had the event in FJ area and there was about 15 Grands. The year before was in the TM area and we had about 20 or so that year. With this year's event being futher north and in a resort area we are hoping for a better turn out.

I hope you do make it I would be great to wheel with you again. It sounds like Joe's wife will be attending as well. I am not sure if she will be bring Joe along :-)

crozzer
08-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I'd love to make the trek down from San Francisco. I'm in!

nathaniel
08-11-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm in as well. Name some of the harder trails in the area cause I dont know of any.

KevinF
08-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm in as well. Name some of the harder trails in the area cause I dont know of any.

We drove about 1/3 of Smasher Canyon, and it was pretty chewed up from recent rain. I doubt it's going to change substantially in the next few months. We got Eric pinched into a spot that required a winch and some digging, and the rest of us all hit our RockSliderz and skid plates at least several times. I'd rate it as a solid 3.5+ or a 4.0. The rest of it was pretty much like the third of it that we ran. Typical AZ trail...in the bottom of a wash, short, plenty of "outs", but pretty gnarly in the wash.

We also WALKED Brutal Canyon. I would say it's every bit as difficult as Predator or Upper Terminator...and maybe more so. That one is a good 4.5+, I think. Again, we didn't run it, but we walked about 2/3 of it. As you know, I'm running 37" tires, and am locked front and rear, and I can tell right now it's going to be an ALL DAY event for anyone with less than a buggy...and maybe even then.

Those are the two tough ones we saw. Not sure if others exist too, but Eric might.

Kevin

KevinF
08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
We drove about 1/3 of Smasher Canyon, and it was pretty chewed up from recent rain. I doubt it's going to change substantially in the next few months. We got Eric pinched into a spot that required a winch and some digging, and the rest of us all hit our RockSliderz and skid plates at least several times. I'd rate it as a solid 3.5+ or a 4.0. The rest of it was pretty much like the third of it that we ran. Typical AZ trail...in the bottom of a wash, short, plenty of "outs", but pretty gnarly in the wash.

We also WALKED Brutal Canyon. I would say it's every bit as difficult as Predator or Upper Terminator...and maybe more so. That one is a good 4.5+, I think. Again, we didn't run it, but we walked about 2/3 of it. As you know, I'm running 37" tires, and am locked front and rear, and I can tell right now it's going to be an ALL DAY event for anyone with less than a buggy...and maybe even then.

Those are the two tough ones we saw. Not sure if others exist too, but Eric might.

Kevin

BTW, since I'm leading this trail, I'm going to stipulate that you need to have either a buggy or a winch to do this trail. If you have neither and you are hell-bent on doing it, e-mail me and we'll talk about your level of driving skill and setup, because this is not a trail that you/we want to end up pulling broken Jeeps out of all day , lol. (Particularly if you don't have a tow rig). :-)

Kevin

nathaniel
08-16-2007, 08:22 PM
BTW, since I'm leading this trail, I'm going to stipulate that you need to have either a buggy or a winch to do this trail. If you have neither and you are hell-bent on doing it, e-mail me and we'll talk about your level of driving skill and setup, because this is not a trail that you/we want to end up pulling broken Jeeps out of all day , lol. (Particularly if you don't have a tow rig). :-)

Kevin

Dude you are quoteing yourself.I have a winch and dont care to much about the body and will probably trailer my rig. If you were talking to me.Nathaniel

trailzj
08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
I wish i could go! My ZJ has been out of commision since just after GSSW 05. Hmmmm October 19th.

Cammo
08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Dang. Don't think my '02 2x will do...Anyone know where I can buy a 2004 4x4 Wj Limited without dual climate control?

Which drive system is "best" for So. Cal/Az. off roading??

KevinF
08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Dude you are quoteing yourself.
Dude you are quoteing yourself.
Dude you are quoteing yourself.NathanielNathaniel.Nathaniel

LOL. I was just thinking to myself, "Damn...what I had to say was so interesting, that I need to quote it again". ;-)

I wasn't referring only to you, Nathaniel, with respect to the winch...that was kind of a generalized stipulation to everyone who wanted to run it. Anyone is welcome to walk and watch, if you want to. It's pretty gnarly. It's not necessarily a body-damage type of trail unless you tip it over...it's just REALLY chopped up, and no real "lines" for placing your tires, so you just have to have lots of ground clearance and a winch to get yourself out of a spot, when it happens.

Kevin

Pitch
08-17-2007, 09:03 PM
"you just have to have lots of ground clearance and a winch to get yourself out of a spot, when it happens"

Do you mean a spot like this?

Pitch
08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Which drive system is "best" for So. Cal/Az. off roading??

Either transfer case in the WJ will work for the trails. But depending on what trails you want to run, what is loaded in your diff's will matter a lot more.

Personally, I prefer a 242 (Select-trac) over the 247 (Quadra-whatever).

chadjans
08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Do you mean a spot like this?

You are welcome.

recon zj
08-20-2007, 12:27 AM
I wasn't referring only to you, Nathaniel, with respect to the winch...that was kind of a generalized stipulation to everyone who wanted to run it. Anyone is welcome to walk and watch, if you want to. It's pretty gnarly. It's not necessarily a body-damage type of trail unless you tip it over...it's just REALLY chopped up, and no real "lines" for placing your tires, so you just have to have lots of ground clearance and a winch to get yourself out of a spot, when it happens.Kevin

Hmmm, well, I've got the winch covered, but the ground clearance issue definitely rules me out on that one! :(

Vacation is on the books, so I'm in this year.

Steelblue_WJ
08-24-2007, 01:51 AM
hey Eric, it's Bobby the guy from borken arrow. You know you backed into me, LOL. are a bunch of guys camping out for this or is it just an on your own kinda thing?

Pitch
08-24-2007, 04:08 PM
hey Eric, it's Bobby the guy from borken arrow. You know you backed into me, LOL. are a bunch of guys camping out for this or is it just an on your own kinda thing?

Yeah, sorry about that Bobby. Are the doors closing OK after the crack?

We have talked about camping out (see the GSSW lodging thread), but nothing is set in stone yet. Not sure if I will be camping, staying at home, or at the White House Inn yet. I am sure people will be posting up their preferences as the date draws near.

MitchRonda
08-24-2007, 05:21 PM
We are planing on taking our moterhome up there some place close, Draging our ZJ behind, but don't know just where yet... thinking about the 18th just waiting for more details...MITCH...

Holdon
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Damm I`ve been looking at the previous years Grand Slam pictures. You guys are running some serious equipment:D I`m thinking I got some upgrading to do before Oct. Lets see.....rocker armor...beefier tie rod setup...bigger shoes....:smt100

InIt4TheFun
09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Never been to a GS event and would love to take part in the event.

Will be in the area and find it hard to pass up.

Just don't know how it works. Do I just show up or do I need to register.

Any info appreciated and look forward to it.

Thanks in advance,
Will

Colorado 5.9
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Most every thing you need to know is right here. http://gssw.mallcrawlin.com/

Also subsrcibe to a few of the threads to keep up with the latest & keep an eye on the whole GSSW forum.

Oh, and welcome to the board noobie!:flipoff2:

InIt4TheFun
09-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh, and welcome to the board noobie!:flipoff2:

Thanks for the link!!!

And as 4 the welcome :butthead:

You going to the event? Hate to be the only CO guy!!

Colorado 5.9
09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Can't commit 100% yet but as time get's closer we can all talk about a caravan maybe. There are are 2 others that might be going also.
i have made reservations at La Vista motel in north Sedona.

http://www.easy-finder.com/brochures/lavista/index.htm

We talked about it on the lodging thread.

rickbeer
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I might have to withdraw me & my Heep :pissed:
Doc wants to cut me again 2nd time 5 months the only good thing is off work for another 6 weeks :booya:

MitchRonda
09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Any thing new ??? Details/Info ???...M...

InIt4TheFun
09-21-2007, 12:17 AM

Congrats!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew8VbvZgX5Y

tywilson88
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
i think im going to be able to make it. not posotive yet. but there is a good chance

Holdon
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Well it looks like we are going to join you in Sedona. Me and the girls are cruising down from Page Friday pm and will meet up with you all Sat. morning. Man its hard to find a reasonably priced place in Sedona:rolleyes:

Doing a tech day this weekend and installing rock rails. May as well do a tune up and fluids before it gets cold up here. Looking forward to this trip. See ya then

Colo.kid
10-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Unless something unexpected comes up my wife and I plan to attend if there is still time to register. If it is not too late how do I register as it appears that portion of the website is not operational. Do we need to sign up for trails or is that adhoc in the morning? Lastly, who do I contact about making a contribution to the raffle on Saturday night?

Halfdoc
10-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Unless something unexpected comes up my wife and I plan to attend if there is still time to register. If it is not too late how do I register as it appears that portion of the website is not operational. Do we need to sign up for trails or is that adhoc in the morning?

No formal registration for the event this year. We will have a liability waiver for drivers to sign once before joining the event. We will evaluate the trails based on driver interest at the drivers meetings.

Lastly, who do I contact about making a contribution to the raffle on Saturday night?

That would be me :D

David.

Holdon
10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Well I`m as ready as I`m gunna be. Hope the old girl makes it thru next weekend.:smt002 Looking forward to meeting you all in Sedona. Kevin

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/kpnup/DSCN0671.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/kpnup/DSCN0698.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/kpnup/DSCN0699.jpg

MitchRonda
10-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Just checked the 10 day, Looks like it's "GO"ing to be a GREAT WEEKEND !!! See ya there...M...

rickbeer
10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Wait up for me
Had my foot operated on last Thursday things are going good.. Off the pain meds but will be saving the rest for rainy dayz... I will not be able to walk much but I will manage
Will be staying at The Sedona motel (family owned) very cool place to stay From what i hear-- alot of the placed are booked reason: the leaves are changing their colors Haa Sedona is always crowded
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jeepfreak1996/IMG_1566.jpg

InIt4TheFun
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Just checked the 10 day, Looks like it's "GO"ing to be a GREAT WEEKEND !!! See ya there...M...

The low is close to the high here in CO Springs. Look forward to some AZ weather and wheelin!!!

hoffyinaz
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I was up in Crownking yesterday (10/16) and at 2pm it was low 60's Beatiful with all the trees changing colors and deer all over. Some poor guy rolled his Yukon and had to leave it................

I am so redy for Sedona, may just ditch work tonight and leave.

See ya all soon

malibu454sss70
10-17-2007, 08:34 PM
count me in hopefully my grand don't breakdown and i can wheel that. not like last that i wheeled my excursion you should see me trying to get that beast through some jeep trails. Anything planned for friday some kind of meet and greet.

recon zj
10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I just got off the phone with Sandy. We're leaving the LA area by 9:30a tomorrow morning, so we should be in to Sedona between 5 - 6p. Catch up with you all at the M&G shortly after that. I am soooo ready to get out of town for a few days and wheel!

gary

MitchRonda
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
We are on our way... We tryed to leave at 11:00am but the "Step sitter's" bus is running WAY Late...It is 6:30pm now & she has not left PHX yet...Hope fully she gets here soon so we can hit the road & get to Page Springs before midnight...SEE YA THERE...M...

DansZJ
10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Safe travels to everyone. See you guys tomorrow!
Dan

hoffyinaz
10-18-2007, 12:53 AM
count me in hopefully my grand don't breakdown and i can wheel that. not like last that i wheeled my excursion you should see me trying to get that beast through some jeep trails. Anything planned for friday some kind of meet and greet.

Our daily meeting place will be the Sedona Safeway parking lot on Hwy 89A in West Sedona. There is a McDonald's and a "World Savings Bank" in the parking lot; the closest cross street is Rodeo Drive.

Start time will be 8am, with driver's meetings beginning shortly thereafter. CB radio will be the primary mode of communication when we are out on the trails.

MitchRonda
10-18-2007, 03:02 AM
OK, We are still on our way, It is now midnight & we are sitting on the side of Hwy 10 just before Red rock, half way between Tucson & Phx, Waiting for a service truck to come & change our Pass-side in-side dual...2 hours to wait...BUT We are coming... Guess we'll see ya when we get there...M...

hoffyinaz
10-18-2007, 07:18 AM
OK, We are still on our way, It is now midnight & we are sitting on the side of Hwy 10 just before Red rock, half way between Tucson & Phx, Waiting for a service truck to come & change our Pass-side in-side dual...2 hours to wait...BUT We are coming... Guess we'll see ya when we get there...M...

That sucks. Did you by chance bring your dane? I'd love to see her/him. I had a harlequin when i was younger, my sister now has a fawn............... Damn good dogs.

By the way I'm too pumped so I'm leaving about 5 tonight, see anyone at the M&G if still there.

MitchRonda
10-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Well guys, It aint looking good...We got our tire fixed & we got about 20 miles & have been sitting on the sholder since about 3:am-It is now 6:30 & we are still waiting for a hook to drag us some place to get a belt-Auto-parking brake will NOT disengage so we are stuck till after 7:00am when they can get us some place we can get fixed...YEA Just got the call its on the way(hook)...We mite make it yet...M...

rickbeer
10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Well guys, It aint looking good...We got our tire fixed & we got about 20 miles & have been sitting on the sholder since about 3:am-It is now 6:30 & we are still waiting for a hook to drag us some place to get a belt-Auto-parking brake will NOT disengage so we are stuck till after 7:00am when they can get us some place we can get fixed...YEA Just got the call its on the way(hook)...We mite make it yet...M...
Braking down bites
Sounds like you will make it since you left a day & 1/2 early:D
I will be leaving Friday around 2-3pm looking foward to the Friday traffic on 1-17 north (wife has to work)

hoffyinaz
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM

I'm in Gilbert. Keep posting and if you break down some where close, I can come help or wait with ya. Hopefully things get better. I'm driving up about 5pm today.

MitchRonda
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
A.P.B...Got towed to Casa-grand A.C. Seized new $450.00 + Charge+labor+ dont know if we can even get 1...Dose ANY BODY have a ford AC comp we can get in the area ??? (Istall & belt $75)It is NOT the bolt through style But is the smaller ford comp...1990 Southwind w/460 FI...Am told this is a Motorhome ONLY Comp...???...Not even sure where we are but can drive ZJ to pick up if there is 1 around...THANK'S...MITCH...

MitchRonda
10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Up-Date...F*#k...Sorry guys..Looks like we wont be able to make it...They pulled my drive line to tow me in & dropped me off in a back alley Some place in Casa Grand with NO WAY to move my house...& Now I cant get it fixed...I AM P*#%ed OFF...& so is every body else...& the dog too !!! Guess the GSSW GODS were NOT smiling on me...EVERY BODY BE SAFE...There was a reason we could not make it...& I am not "GO"ing to push my luck any more, I will just "GO" home with my tail between my legs pouting & wishing we were there...

hoffyinaz
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Up-Date...F*#k...Sorry guys..Looks like we wont be able to make it...They pulled my drive line to tow me in & dropped me off in a back alley Some place in Casa Grand with NO WAY to move my house...& Now I cant get it fixed...I AM P*#%ed OFF...& so is every body else...& the dog too !!! Guess the GSSW GODS were NOT smiling on me...EVERY BODY BE SAFE...There was a reason we could not make it...& I am not "GO"ing to push my luck any more, I will just "GO" home with my tail between my legs pouting & wishing we were there...

Just got up, I gotta run to Maricopa not to far from Casa Grande. Could I pick up anything and bring to you? I'll check back here before I leave around 0300. Or call my cell 480 751 7404

Pitch
10-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. You could always drive your Jeep to Sedona and tent/motel it...

Regardless, hope the next leg of your trip goes better than the last.