PDA

View Full Version : i need a drill

canadian_driver
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
well my crappy black and decker drill took a crap on me this weekend, i need a new one, i loved the 18v drill will not get a 14v or 12v

i was looking around and there was a roybi drill for a good price has anyone had any good experiences with it? ive never herd anything good or bad conserning them.

my other options are hitachi dewalt($$$) rigid... etc basicly anything they sell at either TSC home depot sears dont want to spend to much over $200(canadian)

fpkites
07-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Haven't had a Ryobi since the 9-volt days (10 yrs plus). I've had good luck with my Skil, though can't upgrade the chuck to 1/2" with a standard kit. I've got the 4-pack from Home Depot and it's treated me good - drill, radial saw, reciprocating saw, scroll saw.

Skyline
07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Try Milwaukie. Their 18v drills are excellent. Ryobi sucks.

CurtP
07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
If you're looking for a good cordless drill, there's only two choices, IMO - DeWalt and Milwaukee.

FWIW, Ryobi makes many of Craftsman's cordless tools, but the battery packs are typically not interchangable. After owning several Craftsman and Ryobi cordless products, I have come to the conclusion that Ryobi = crap. I personally wouldn't waste my time or money on one.

LouisianaZJ
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
dewalt 18v hammer drill

I bought mine used from a local 4x4 guy for $75 for the hammer drill, circ saw, battery charger and 2 dead batteries. $60 later in batteries and motor bushes, it has been 100% with hard use.

they are $200+ new for the drill only http://www.toolking.com/dewalt_dc988kar.aspx

unforgiven
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
just by a fluke, i ended up buying both a 14 volt dewalt drill and an 18 volt makita complete cordless set (even a cordless sliding compound mitre saw, which is freakin awesome). anyhoo, in some work i was doing, the dewalt at lower voltage drove a helluva lot more 6 inch lag bolts than the higher voltage makita did.

never been a big fan of makita, but that drill and the rest of the kit has done excellent sofar. i would buy either one again, so if one is lower $$$ and that is an issue than get it. however, dewalt is the shit. can't go wrong with it IMHO.

DerekL
07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Dewalt, only way to go.

Ted_Z
07-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I recently picked up a Rigid 18V drill to replace my aging dewalt. (It was on crazy sale at HD for $145 for a drill + jig saw combo.) Nice thing about rigid is they have a lifetime warrentee, including their batteries. I think they are the only brand that covers batteries.

nate
07-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I haven't had any issues with the Craftsman 19.2v setup I have. I bought the big kit back in 2002 or 03 when it first came out and it's still going strong.

The orginal batteries went tits up about a year ago, but replacements aren't overly expensive.

corrupt143
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
The orginal batteries went tits up about a year ago, but replacements aren't overly expensive.
Dewalts cost a fortune for the extra run time, which is the only way to go,about $90:eek:. Ive spent some time on eGay trying to get some good deals with very little luck. Anyone ever try some of the generic batteries? Theyre about half price, but they scare me!

I recently picked up a Rigid 18V drill to replace my aging dewalt. (It was on crazy sale at HD for $145 for a drill + jig saw combo.) Nice thing about rigid is they have a lifetime warrentee, including their batteries. I think they are the only brand that covers batteries. Did you have an 18V Dewalt? If so, how do they compare? I love the torque of the Dewalt 18's. I use mine daily. A lifetime warranty would be VERY nice, especially for the batteries, but if its not as good, whats the point.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I have a Dewalt grinder and I love it...
I have a Ryobi jigsaw and it has worked great...It was like $60 compared to $150 for the Dewalt so you pay for what you get.

Neither are cordless...

midwestxj
07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Black and Decker makes Dewalt so you can look at the B&D also. i have a makita sawzall and it has worked great.

Katesdad
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
I have an 18 volt craftsman and cant kill it. My 14 volt milwaukee batteries have died. But they are over 10 years old.

CurtP
07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Black and Decker makes Dewalt so you can look at the B&D also.

Your logic is flawed. There's no common parts shared between the DeWalt and the B&D line. DeWalt is built for professionals; Black and Decker is light-duty.

Ijit.

SOLITUDE
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I have a Dewalt 14.4 volt set-up in the back of my ZJ. Hasn't quit yet. I also have a Craftsman 18 volt at the house in the garage. The Dewalt has more torque but the Craftsman's batteries last a hell of a lot longer.

Normally for the bigger projects I just pull out the Craftsman that plugs into the wall. None of which have failed me yet. Here here for quality products.

midwestxj
07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Your logic is flawed. There's no common parts shared between the DeWalt and the B&D line. DeWalt is built for professionals; Black and Decker is light-duty.

Ijit.

Unfortunately it is not flawed. the main difference between the two is the casing of the drill. the dewalt has a thicker case. that information came from the former CEO of B&D.

CurtP
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately it is not flawed. the main difference between the two is the casing of the drill. the dewalt has a thicker case. that information came from the former CEO of B&D.

QFT. If that were the case, then all the construction guys would be buying B&D. Have you ever seen the guts of a DeWalt -vs- B&D? You're full of shit, so STFU.

midwestxj
07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
QFT. If that were the case, then all the construction guys would be buying B&D. Have you ever seen the guts of a DeWalt -vs- B&D? You're full of shit, so STFU.

Somebody must have pissed in your Wheaties this morning. Why the hell would I lie about something like this? Dewalts are not top notch shit anyway, talk to a lot of construction guys and they hate that shit anyway because they have the dewalts warrantied more than they use them.

CurtP
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Somebody must have pissed in your Wheaties this morning. Why the hell would I lie about something like this? Dewalts are not top notch shit anyway, talk to a lot of construction guys and they hate that shit anyway because they have the dewalts warrantied more than they use them.

Why would you tell such bullshit stories? B&D uses platic gears in a plastic housing in their cordless drills. DeWalt uses metal (typically aluminum) gears and a metal housing. B&D uses a little electric motor, DeWalt uses a big motor. B&D uses bushings, DeWalt uses bearings. B&D cuts many corners to keep the price down and they were never meant for serious use.

DeWalt XRP-series drills are top notch. The construction asshats who are complaining about DeWalt are 1) Not using XRP (the cheaper, imported stuff); 2) Are using too small of a drill for an application; 3) Beating the shit out of it and wondering why it's not working; or 4) any combination of the above. Either that or they're just jumping on the "it's crap because it's owned by B&D" bandwagon.

Milwaukee makes some great tools too, and you'll find uneducated shitheads bashing them as well. My only reservation about Milwaukee cordless drills is that they're still fairly new to the cordless market, but so far they're doing very well.

canadian_driver
07-25-2007, 03:03 PM
B&D freaking sucks, my battery on mine lasted 6-8 months tops anything i have dewalt is great, only a saws all and grinder, all recon, but never had a single problem with em.

quick question do you guys in the states get mastercraft tools? not sears craftsman, but master craft?

ArloGuthroJeep
07-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Haha, Curt made this into a fun thread:D

midwestxj
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
[quote=CurtP;154040]Why would you tell such bullshit stories? B&D uses platic gears in a plastic housing in their cordless drills. DeWalt uses metal (typically aluminum) gears and a metal housing. B&D uses a little electric motor, DeWalt uses a big motor. B&D uses bushings, DeWalt uses bearings. B&D cuts many corners to keep the price down and they were never meant for serious use.

Bullshit? Why don't you actually compare the two parts, just because one is aluminum and one is plastic does not mean one is stronger it just means one is more expensive. you can have plastic drivers and gears that are a lot fucking stronger than than some soft aluminum. A cartridge bearing is better in some instances but a lot of times it gets full of dirt and the balls get pitted and they start running worse than a bushing does. bushings are also used where you want to be able to get a smaller housing in the product and a cartridge bearing takes up a lot more room for a ball size that won't get crushed.

OverkillZJ
07-25-2007, 04:33 PM
... Aren't BD and Dewalt affiliated? As in, isn't B&D the cheap version of Dewalt?

midwestxj
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
... Aren't BD and Dewalt affiliated? As in, isn't B&D the cheap version of Dewalt?

Yes, the BD just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Dewalts that aren't needed for a sub $200 drill for a non professional user.

CurtP
07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, the BD just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Dewalts that aren't needed for a sub $200 drill for a non professional user.

You're a dipshit and should just stop typing. Seriously. Your colon must be on fire because there's so much smoke coming out of your ass. Where the fuck is that ban button anyway? Fucking mouth breathers.

Black and Decker Corp is much bigger than most people know. They own Pentair, which includes Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power, Oldham Saw, and FLEX (aka, "The Tools Group"). Other names they own: Baldwin Hardware Corp, Weiser Lock Corp, DeWalt, Emhart Corporation (Kwikset, Price Pfister, Molly wall anchors, POP rivets, True Temper golf club shafts, etc), GE small household appliances, Carbide Router Company and Master Pneumatics. AND they have a cooperative arrangement with Hitachi Koki.

You would have to be a complete fucking moron to think that B&D manufactures all that shit in-house and that they are all made to similar specifications.

LouisianaZJ
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM

so you do agree B&D is a lighter duty than a dewalt :rolleyes: :screwy:

MBATF
07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
B&D power tools were the first made to the space by NASA

CurtP
07-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Pot stirrer :flipoff2:

Skyline
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Just a thought....Milwaukee just came out with a new drill with an improved battery (I think Lithium Ion). This new drill is now their top of the line at roughly $260. But there have been some pretty good sales on their former top end 18v drill, which is still an excellent drill...I got one of these on sale at Home Depot just recently. Also, check the Milwaukee web site...there are some good rebates and deals.

ajmorell
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Just a thought....Milwaukee just came out with a new drill with an improved battery (I think Lithium Ion). This new drill is now their top of the line at roughly $260. But there have been some pretty good sales on their former top end 18v drill, which is still an excellent drill...I got one of these on sale at Home Depot just recently. Also, check the Milwaukee web site...there are some good rebates and deals.

Yeah, the new li-ion they offer in 18v and 28v. Supposedly the 28v is the shit. I have read a couple of reviews on it, and I think I might invest in it when I get the money. The other nice thing about the 28v is they have a cordless impact as well that is supposed to kick ass....obviously not anything like a pneumatic impact, but for something you can bring anywhere it can't be beat.

ZJ TINS
07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
B&D used to have a professional line, right up there with Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta (pro-line), Rockwell, Skill (pro-line), Milwaukee and a few others.

If you want something that wont break any of the above. If you find it at Wallmart and the cheaper parts items at Home depot or Lowes, it wont. For me Craftmans' higher priced stuff works great and is usually cheaper than top name brands. However WARNING you get what you pay for in power tools, the more money the better the product (almost always). The trick seems to be are you buying it for a one time job (I sometimes still buy one use tools but even that rationale is going away), or for occasional or daily use. The feedback loop for power tools is very high and the good companies really have excellent products to support that market. I recenty have been buying the expensive stuff and foudn I really do not regret it.

I personnaly will never touch a Ryoba or Makita and expecially those off name Chineese imports. Too dangerous (shock hazard, breaks under stress).

canadian_driver
10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
in case anyone is interested i finally got my new drill today, 18v dewalt was on sale 30% off, lol

jsteves
10-28-2007, 11:46 AM
B&D used to have a professional line, right up there with Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta (pro-line), Rockwell, Skill (pro-line), Milwaukee and a few others.

That is true. B&D used to be an industry leader...but that was at least 25 years ago if not more. Now it is just cheap shit I wouldn't spend a penny on.

We had a B&D circular saw. The guides on it were so flimsy you could not set up a guide and cut a strait line because the guides were that cheap and shitty.

Rubber Chuck
10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
in case anyone is interested i finally got my new drill today, 18v dewalt was on sale 30% off, lol

How come you didn't get a B&D ...... same thing really :D

Seriously...good luck w/ the drill.......I sue my corded dewalt quite a bit and I'm very happy with it.

cLAYH
12-20-2007, 01:07 PM
I used to fix drills for a living, Milwaukee was pretty much the best built but are WAY pricy, $$$.

Makita makes very good tools as well, not as good as Milwaukee but much more reasonably priced.

I didn't see as much for Dewalt, most of our customers were commercial and stayed with Makita/Dewalt. Did see Dewalt enough though that I felt it was worth spending a fix extra bucks and stepping up to a Makita. However for the average joe using it occasionaly its still a good choice, especially if you catch it on sale.

BTW I have an old 12V Milwaukee that I just loved! I could drill anything with that thing and it was still fairly light. I used it for tons of metal working projects. Unfortunatly batteries are toast and its too cost prohibitive to replace them.

I find that I have very little use for 18Vs, too heavy/awkward. We have an 18V Dewalt and a 14V Makita(M-force) at work. The Makita works just as well as the Dewalt but is lighter and better balanced and the batteries seem to last longer.

At home I have the 18V lithium-ion Makita(grey colored), super light but not as much torque as the 14V M-force at work or battery life but it was half the cost and half the weight.

Slacker
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
When 14V drill batteries go dead (or are too expensive to replace), hard wire it, put some clips on the other end, and hook it up to your Jeep battery. Great (cheap) trail tool for those times when you really need a drill for a trail repair.

cLAYH
12-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey that an awesome idea! Now I know what I'll do with that old 12V Milwaukee I have. As long as I run it with the engine off it should be pretty close to 12V.

Gearsmith4
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Worked construction last summer, I prefer Milwaulke to Dewalt, though I've used 'em both and they're both good. If you're going to buy a drill and you have muscle in your arm, buy an 18 V, they're so much better. Also, I would check in pawn shops before you buy one new, they always have tools and you can save a lot of money that way. Though make sure they say you can bring it back if it doesn't work, then test it out quick.

Wow, sorry, didn't notice this thread was dead forever long ago.

canadian_driver
09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
well at least its only a year and a bit old

Goosed76
09-24-2008, 01:08 AM
recenty bought an Ingersol Rand (IR) cordless, working great, use it 5 days a week in tat shop at work, never had a problem...

cLAYH
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in my Makita. After 6 months both batteries quit. They were replaced under the 1 year manufactors warrenty but I had to drive an hour to get to the nearest depot. Now just past the one year date another battery has crapped out. I expect the 2nd one to die any day now.

Also the drill at work is starting to dies as well. We have 6 batteries for it and three are now almost toast.

My Milwaukee 12v lasted 5 years and I bought it used.

Should have bought the milwaukee.......

TrojanMan
11-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry to stir the pot but i'd rather post in an old thread than make a new one :D

I just got a new job (temporary, only to hold me over until boot camp in 2.5 months). I'm doing construction - mostly metal stud framing. I need a drill and i'm going to go for an 18v hammer drill. I love using my coworkers dewalt but the $329 price tag scares me. I noticed lowes has a very well priced porter cable (I guess they just got rid of B&D and now carry porter cable).

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=62912-79992-PC180HDK-2&lpage=none

I know it's probably going to be shit.. but i'm really hurt for money right now and I need to keep costs down to a minimum. I figure if it will make it through 2.5 months without completely pissing me off i'll be fine, especially if it has a decent warranty. Does anybody have any experience with their drills?

Thanks fellas:popcorn:

*edit* This looks promising.. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100609305&N=10000003+90401+500054+4294924900

As does this.. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100649823&N=10000003+90401+500054+4294924942

Help?

CurtP
11-06-2008, 11:20 PM
The new Milwaukee cordless tools aren't the same as they were a year ago. The entire Milwaukee cordless line is now made in China. I don't think there's a vendor left that isn't made in China. Maybe the top-end DeWalt, but I wouldn't count on it either.

Look at Ridgid at Home Depot. Good pricing and they have a lifetime warranty on their batteries (or at least they used to). I think you have to register the tool online to qualify for the warranty though, which really shouldn't be a big deal.

TrojanMan
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I just found a DeWalt XRP 18V hammer drill w/ 2 batteries and a charger for 140 bucks... I might just go with that :D

Katesdad
11-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I have a great milwaukee and a great craftsman and 4 dead batteries. I switched back to corded 1/2 inch drive hand chuck. Wow now thats torque. I never take my drill very far Ive found.

TrojanMan
11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I would get a corded because they are better for obvious reasons.. but where I work sometimes I use 3x100' extension cords to get power... that and framing walls with extension cords weaving in and out is a mess.

I might be getting a new DeWalt like the one I posted above with 2 batteries for 106 bucks.. we'll see :D

Gearsmith4
11-10-2008, 03:20 AM
The new Milwaukee cordless tools aren't the same as they were a year ago. The entire Milwaukee cordless line is now made in China.

Wow, that really really sucks. You know something is jacked up when you're tempted to stockpile old cordless drills... Anyway, I have a porter cable that has held up well, it's just not quite as nice on that action as the Milwaukee is (or was I suppose). Porter Cable feels cheaper to me. I had a 14 v dewalt that lasted me several years, eventually the batteries stopped holding a charge. that would be my only complaint with them though, and most of my carpenter/contracter buddies seem to love theirs.

CurtP
11-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Trust me, I'm not happy about it either. I sent complaints to both Milwaukee and DeWalt letting them know I was very disappointed that their cordless tools are now China junk. Both came back with nearly identical form letters saying that they were still very high quality tools and that they had to be global in order to be competitive. I say they're both full of shit since their cordless tools are now more expensive than ever! They're both using their reputations to sell these cheap tools.

It's getting harder and harder for me to find anything that isn't made in China anymore. I was at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago and the fucking apple juice said it was made in China. WTF?! This bullshit is getting out of control. When I walk into Harbor Freight, I expect to see China junk - that's why I go there. I don't go to Sears to buy Chinese Craftsman tools, but that's what you get with just about everything they sell now outside of hand tools.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

TrojanMan
11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Get rid of income tax, institute the fair tax, and put a tax on all imported goods.

That'll open up american factories in a hurry. Then we can get some good tools again :D

On a more related note I found a deal on a DeWalt DC925 drill and DC385 sawzall for 244 shipped with cases, two batteries, and a charger. I jumped all over that :booya:

CurtP
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Damn - that sounds like a good deal. When are you getting it? Let us know the origin of manufacture. Which batteries came with it? I need new batteries for mine, but if I switch over to the new LiIon battery, I'll have to buy new chargers too.

TrojanMan
11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Fedex says it will be here saturday (shipping to charlotte from portland). It's coming with the standard XRP batteries I think. You can get two batteries w/ charger on ebay for 200 bucks. Other than that home depot is currently running 2 batteries (I think with charger) for 99.

TrojanMan
11-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Made in Mexico.

cLAYH
01-24-2009, 03:38 PM
At home I have the 18V lithium-ion Makita(grey colored), super light but not as much torque as the 14V M-force at work or battery life but it was half the cost and half the weight.

Well after 6 months I smoked the batteries in my Makita 18V, had them replaced under warrenty and the first time I worked the drill hard I smoked another. So in just over a year I've gone thru 4 batteries. I believe there is a 2 year warrenty on the Lith-ion batteries so I'll go back in and get them replaced again. However I think I'll delegate this drill to light duties, pulling screws, drilling holes in the dash, assemblig IKEA furniture, etc. It nice and light for that kind of thing.

I leave the heavy stuff for my drill. :D Just got Milwaukee's 18V lith-ion hammer drill. Our local Gregg's Distributer had it on sale for $250. It the V18 model that doubles as a hammer drill and regular drill with a clutch setting. So far so good, used it to drill some self tapping screw and the clutch worked great slipped when it was supposed to. Drilled some 3/8 holes in some 1/4 steel and it powered right thru. Something I did notice is that there is a cutout on the high setting to prevent you from stalling the drill. Good I guess to prevent damage to the motor and ovver heating it, as well safer for your wrist when it does grab. However it did kick in once when breaking thru the backside of the 1/4" and I had to stop and take a second bite at it with less pressure. This might be a good thing in the long run if it saves the motor and batteries.

Run time was good and the battery meter on the back was handy for seeing how full the drill was when I first grab it for the day. Charge time was under an hour, not sure cause I didn't sit there and watch it.

But as always time will tell how good of a dill it really is....
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40028_-1_735044_192143_192137

-=Lurker=-
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Do yourself a favor and pick yourself up one of these. ;)

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/ialmanza/DSC03313.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/ialmanza/DSC03314.jpg

nate
01-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Those suck total ass and are expensive. I'm convinced there are just rebadge Harbor Freight junk. We HAD 6 of them at work and only 2 remain after 3 years. We don't do very much drilling either.

I was drilling some holes in a steel door to put a door holder and I cooked the motor on one of them even.

Just cause it says Snap On and costs a gazzalion dollars doesn't mean it's good!

I beat the shit out of my Craftsman 19.2v and it's holding up fine. Have had it for 5-6 years now.

Goosed76
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd stick with the DeWalt....

nate
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah very nice drill.

Just... $99 for angle drill and reg. drill in the Craftsman flavor... along with 2 batteries and a charger... I couldn't pass that up.

Won't even be able to touch a Dewalt drill for that price.

Goosed76
01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah very nice drill.

Just... $99 for angle drill and reg. drill in the Craftsman flavor... along with 2 batteries and a charger... I couldn't pass that up.

Won't even be able to touch a Dewalt drill for that price.

but after replacing your drill a few times because it's toast, or the battery craps out, it will more than likely cost you more over time...

hkszx2
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I didnt read this whole thread and Im probably a bit late. I use the dewalt 18v xrp hammer drill and cordless impact everyday. I do metal structural framing and drywall. So im constantly drilling into thick steel and concrete and neither one of my drills has let me down. the only problem ive had is snapping screw shafts and twisting the head off of tap cons. Ive even dropped mine quite a few times off scaffolding and lifts and it still works the same as when it was brand new. I also got the drill and impact for 300 bucks in a kit together... but for another hundred you can get the 4 piece kit.

-=Lurker=-
01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Those suck total ass and are expensive. I'm convinced there are just rebadge Harbor Freight junk. We HAD 6 of them at work and only 2 remain after 3 years. We don't do very much drilling either

My shop did fine with them and I've also come to the conclusion after 10 years in the field that you can't judge a tool by how it does in the shop if it's shared. People don't take care of shop tools like they do their own shit.

I've had mine over a year with no problems. A few of my friends have them and have had no problems (reason I got one for myself). I work on tractors / trailers and this drill is stronger and lasts longer doing it than my DeWalt. Not saying the DeWalt in not a great drill just IMO the Snap-On is better if you're gonna use it day-in and day-out. Besides, like most of Snap-On's stuff, it's comfortable and balanced great in your hand.

I was drilling some holes in a steel door to put a door holder and I cooked the motor on one of them even.

Just cause it says Snap On and costs a gazzalion dollars doesn't mean it's good!

It's not China shit. Anything Snap-On puts its name on is made in the USA and I've done my homework. If its made by a third-party, its badged Blue-Point. Besides, you can burn out any drill motor by overworking it. The tool can only do so much, you gotta use the right tool for the job regardless (thinking corded hi-amp drill here). This doesn't say much at all, about the drill atleast.

As far as the cost is concerned, I got mine for a little over $350 with 2 batteries and a charger. Sure it's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Alot of which is customer service. All my air tools stuff is IR brand. But when it comes to electrical, its either Fluke or Snap-On. My local dealer takes good care of me and I'm sure if anything ever happened to this drill, I'd get it fixed or replaced for next to nothing. The point is, I can talk to him and tell him what happened on a personal level and not some dude on the phone asking me, "send us an RMA form" bullshit.

Just my opinion though. :)

nate
02-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah I know the drill with Snap On, we used to spend ~10k a year with them until I switched to Matco.

Trust me dude... the Snappy drill feels like a pile of shit compared to a good Dewalt, Hitachi, Ryobi, etc.

I've had to replace chucks, motors/gearboxes, etc... they aren't build tough at all.

I got Dewalts to replace the Snappy ones starting about 2 years ago and so far they have held up fine and cheaper too.

I used to run the tool room at work... so I see lots of stuff come through and I really can tell what lasts and what doesn't. Yeah people don't take care of shop tools as well as their own but it really separates the good stuff from the junk, that's for sure.

nate
02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I've had the drill for ~6 years and it's still going fine. Have had to replace the batteries though.
Same batteries I use with a skill saw and sawzall... use those quite a bit as well.

but after replacing your drill a few times because it's toast, or the battery craps out, it will more than likely cost you more over time...

CurtP
02-01-2009, 09:08 AM
It's not China shit.
Want to bet? All I see is "USA Assembled", not "Made in USA". Pull off the battery - where is the origin of manufacture? What about the charger? Want to place a bet as to where the motor is manufactured? Hell, there's a good chance that all the components are made overseas, shipped here and put together.

It all sucks. Tool manufacturers are being bought and sold so fast that I can't even keep track of who's who anymore. For example, a lot of people are saying that Kolbalt is made by Snap-On, but they're actually made by Williams (which is owned by Snap-On, but operates independently). S-K is no longer owned by Facom, Craftsman is made by Urreah. TTI (Techtronic Industries) is the current manufacturer for Craftsman and Rigid cordless tools and owns Ryobi, AEG, Drebo, Milwaulkee and Homelite (among others).