PDA

View Full Version : Diesel emissions problem

FearTheDentist
07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
OK- totally non-jeep question here, but I know some of you are pretty handy with a diesel.
My 7.3l F250 Super Duty which had to pass emissions here in Az for the first time this year, and unfortunately it failed. The emissions tech told me the vehicle was running rich, and thought maybe I had a chip in it.
The truck is not chipped, and has no performance mods of any sort. The only service issues the motor has had since I bought it were a bad camshaft position sensor and bad fuel pump (both of which were replaced of course). The engine does not throw any trouble codes.

Any suggestions about how to troubleshoot this or any common causes I could look into?

Thanks!

Strada
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe the Oxygen Sensor?

AndyZJ
07-20-2007, 08:36 PM
The only things that would make sense are the injectors are not closing completely and dripping, or the EGR is not working correctly. Do you have a particulate trap, what are the emissions readings?

Sample
07-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Does it smoke? If it doesn't, you should pass. Have you changed your air filter lately? Fuel filter? Run some vegetable oil in it when you take it thru again, like 10 gallons.

FearTheDentist
07-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Does it smoke? If it doesn't, you should pass. Have you changed your air filter lately? Fuel filter? Run some vegetable oil in it when you take it thru again, like 10 gallons.

Fuel filter <2k miles, air filter probably due for a change.

10 gallons of vegetable oil?

DansZJ
07-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Brian,
give Kevin a call, if you haven't already. He knows a lot about diesel tuning since he's owned the Excursion.