PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone, Radical Hill and North Fork July 29th

JohnBoulderCO
07-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd like to run the loop, starting with Red Cone and ending just north of Breckenridge. A very scenic set of trails and usually lots of mountain goats along North Fork.

Red Cone isn't open yet, there is still snow on Webster Pass, but it should be open in two weeks, if not we can run something else.

Here is the trip report from last year, July 23rd.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8929

Mtn WJ
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Looks like we will be in. Sure hope that snow bank on Radical Hill is melted by then. If not we can double back on Deer Trail via Webster and still be able to do North Fork without having to go all the way around on St Johns.

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2007, 12:36 PM
We'll either be in, or spend the whole day in the garage wrenching, lol. I've yet to run ANY of those trails, so if my ZJ isn't quite ready and I don't feel like wrenching that day we'll take Pam's. Actually, it may be better to take Pam's anyways as I don't get the impression that there would be a good spot to drop the trailer that's easy to get back to.

Mtn WJ
07-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Your right about dropping a trailer. If the snow bank on the southern side of Webster is gone you could double back but that will change the route for the other trails. It may make better sense to run with Pams Jeep.

JohnBoulderCO
07-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Dave and Pam, it's a fun loop and Pam's Jeep would be just fine to do the whole thing. It's warm this week, so hopefully that snow bank will be gone by the 29th.

BigDaveZJ
07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Sounds good, we'll let you guys know. We'll probably start heading back from MN tonight, should be back in CO by morning. Hopefully I can at the very minimum get my new shocks on tomorrow, maybe start messing with some of the other stuff.

JohnBoulderCO
07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I PM'ed a guy over on the CO4x4 board. He ran up Red Cone (yes up) and down Red Cone over the weekend. He came in from the Breckenridge side and went out the Keystone (Montezuma) side. If you can get to Red Cone from Radical Hill, then it should be open from 285 to the top.

Should be a fun day!

Mtn WJ
07-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I read that guys post and it looks like he ran in reverse what want to do on Sunday.

JohnBoulderCO
07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Yep, opposite loop, but he didn't go down Webster Pass. But, since he could get to Red Cone from the other side, the trail should be open from 285 up Red Cone.

zjmike4
07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I might be in on this. I will be at Holy Cross friday/saturday with some buddies and coming back sunday so I might swing it to meet you guys somewhere up there. Keep ya posted.

Oh and on a side note, I bit the bullet and now have arb'd the front so should be fun now!

Mtn WJ
07-24-2007, 04:35 PM
OK we are still in but there may be a snag. I finally sold my house and the the buyer is doing his inspection on Sunday. I fully expect to be ready on Sunday AM.

What time do you all want to meet and where for the drive up.

Keith S

JohnBoulderCO
07-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Meet at The Fort. 8:30am? Too early?

Mtn WJ
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
8:30 works for me. The buyers inspection moved from 1 to noon and if I am not ready for it in the morning it will be too late anyway. See you at the Fort in the AM.

Anyone else confrimed yet??

Keith

JohnBoulderCO
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Keith and I are going. Who else?

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
We're out. Got too much left to do to my ZJ still. And Pam's ZJ. And my truck. I need a personal mechanic or something. I should be ready to go for something on the 5th though to make sure it all works before Holy Cross.

zjmike4
07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
What time are you guys planning on being at the trailhead? If I came I'd meet you guys there, not sure how far it is from camp hale.

JohnBoulderCO
07-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Mike, 9:30? Maybe Keith has a better estimate.
Dave, too funny. Hope to see ya on the trails sometime this summer.;)

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Oh we'll be on the trails, don't worry, lol. The truck is ALMOST ready, I just need to take a defective battery back and get a new one so I can take my Optima out of the truck and put it back in the Jeep. If it comes down to it I'll wheel the truck at this point. But between Sunday and Monday I should be able to get the Jeep just about ready to go again.

JohnBoulderCO
07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
And how does the truck prevent Pam's rig from running Sunday?:D

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
And how does the truck prevent Pam's rig from running Sunday?:D

Because Pam's rig needs an oil change and her rear brakes squeel loud enough to wake up every dog in a 5 mile radius!

Mtn WJ
07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Mike, 9:30? Maybe Keith has a better estimate.
Dave, too funny. Hope to see ya on the trails sometime this summer.;)

I think if we meet at the Fort around 8 - 8:30 we could be easily at the trail head by 9:30 am.

Let us know if you plan to be there and we will wait for you if we are early or you can wait if we are a little late. Otherwise we will just head up the trail if you do not plan to be there. It will be good to wheel with ya again.

Dave sorry for your troubles. Hope you get the fixed. Orr you can do redcone in the Super Duty.

Mtn WJ
07-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Because Pam's rig needs an oil change and her rear brakes squeel loud enough to wake up every dog in a 5 mile radius!

I changed my rear brakes just before GSW. I basically did new pads only and no issues. Oil Smoil. See you Sunday.

JohnBoulderCO
07-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Keith can't make it. No one else has confirmed for sure. I won't do this loop alone. Need to reschedule for another time.

BigDaveZJ
07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Don't blame ya . . .

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=101933

Crazy shit . . .

JohnBoulderCO
07-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Wow! Yeah, there are steep places. Sorry to see that.

JohnBoulderCO
07-29-2007, 11:07 AM
The CO4x4 link now contains the Denver Post story. The Jeep went off Radical Hill and rolled a long ways. Wow.