PDA

View Full Version : GSSE '07 Predicament.

SOLITUDE
07-16-2007, 10:09 AM
My last day here at work is August 3rd. I'm installing a 44a in the back of my '93 w/ 3.73's. I was also moving that weekend to Statesboro, GA.

All I need is a 3.73 D30 R&P. I don't care if it's used or not. I'll wheel the piss out of it, break it, come home, and the damned turdy is coming out completely anyway. None of the local JY's are willing to part out a D30. My question is, does anyone have an extra set lying around? I'll buy them off of you, and when/if I get up there late Friday night they'll go in.

When I get back home the 44a is getting 4.88's and an HP44 is going up front.

If I don't source a R&P soon, it doesn't look like I'm going this year. Not enough time to finish the build.

Your thoughts, suggestions?

silber
07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a LP D30 3.73 R&P that i just took out. They were the original gears so they have 100,000 on them, but PM me and we can work out a price if you are interested.

northgazj
07-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a LP D30 3.73 set as well and I am a little closer if it makes a difference. Let me know.

ATL ZJ
07-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I might have thrown away a set of d30 gears assuming nobody would ever want them. I'll dig through the parts shed tonight to see if they're still in there..

You bring the beer, we'll bring the dial indicator. :D

SOLITUDE
07-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I'll have to pick up a set of shims

what kinda beer you like?:D

ATL ZJ
07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Not as lucky as I thought... I must have tossed them a couple months ago.

But it sounds like Mike has a set for you anyways. Looks like you get to go wheeling. :D

northgazj
07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
....And looks like there will be a gear install clinic held at GSSE. Yet another reason to plan on being there.

SOLITUDE
07-17-2007, 12:08 AM
saweet.... Gear Install Clinic being held...... hahahaha great, glad this can be a learning experience for some.....

SOLITUDE
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Ok for the last couple of hours I've been trying to find a place to buy a complete set of shims. Short of buy an entire rebuild kit, where can I buy a shim set?

northgazj
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I may have some leftover from rebuilding the HP 30, so I'll bring them. I was lucky and the setup on the HP was exactly the same as what came out.

SOLITUDE
07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
sweet.... looks like I don't have to bring a damn thing but the damn jeep. Thanks guys.

jsteves
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
and $$$ to buy beer for all!

SOLITUDE
07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Why bring $$$? I'll just bring the beer. :)

ATL ZJ
07-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Grab the gear oil.. Hot beer isn't that slippery. :D

SOLITUDE
07-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Already got plenty of gear oil. What kinda beer you guys like?

northgazj
07-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Sweetwater 420, Ying Ling, Stella Artois, take your pick.

You sure you want gears to be set up after a few are downed?

19onebadzj96
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
im always better at things when im drunk haha

SOLITUDE
07-18-2007, 07:26 PM
haha.... Well it's set them up drunk... or wheel in 2wd.

Sudz
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.7slotwear.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=9818

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=3073

SOLITUDE
07-21-2007, 01:31 PM
you know what's kinda funny.... I was just cleaning out my garage preparing to move and I came across a dana 30 open carrier with ring and pinion. The ring and pinion aren't stamped normally, so I can't tell what the ratio is. The pinion reads:
"D1 DANA 46177"
"FG 41 11 V1L129"

WTF is that?

ATL ZJ
07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Count the teeth on the ring and pinion. Divide the number of ring gear teeth by number of pinion teeth.

SOLITUDE
07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
ahhhhh..... 41 Ring Gear Teeth, 11 Pinion Gear Teeth = 3.73's... excellent.. I guess i had some laying around here after all. Well the carrier needs new bearings...

You thing the local auto store (Advance/Napa)will have a shim set?

SOLITUDE
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
It's run-whatchu-brung. It was either start my build and not be able to make it to GSSE or hold off a few more weeks and then "get'er up in the sky ridin' high' on some turdyfive's". Can't wait.

Looks like I won't be getting in till about 9pm no friday night. I'm staying saturday and sunday night. Leaving early monday morning.

northgazj
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
So, do you need me to bring the set I have, or not?

SOLITUDE
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Nah man. I found an old set of 3.73's in my garage a few days ago. I'd appreciate it if you would bring your shim set and if someone would bring a dial, since I don't have one yet.

ATL ZJ
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Nah man. I found an old set of 3.73's in my garage a few days ago. I'd appreciate it if you would bring your shim set and if someone would bring a dial, since I don't have one yet.

I'll bring a dial indicator. You also will probably need some sort of a press for the carrier bearings. If anybody has a lot of experience with gear setup, set on up. My buddy Jordan is good with gears but he won't be coming in til Friday night late.

SOLITUDE
07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah I won't be there till late friday night either. I'm bringin' a huge halogen light and lots of beer.:D

I don't have a press large enough to get the carrier bearings pressed in. I'm going to get new ones because the carrier I have w/ 3.73's has no bearings on it at the moment. Would it be best to wait till I get there to put on the bearings? I'll hold off if so. BTW. I have a 4.5" bench vise mounted in the back of my ZJ if that helps at all..... nope. Everything is at least 8". hmmmmm

ATL ZJ
07-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Well the shims go behind the carrier bearings on a d30 right? I've never set one up so correct me if I'm wrong, but you may have to pull the bearings on and off a few times before everything is set up right.

SOLITUDE
07-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Honestly.... I've never pulled apart a 30.... I don't know if the shims go on before the bearings on the carrier or in the housing. I know what you're saying, but, I don't know. Someone care to chime in?

I don't wanna spend any money on this 30 that isn't absolutely 100% necessary. Like I said it's coming out and an hp44 is going in as soon as I get back home from GSSE.

Pearce
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
The shims go under the bearings so you will need set up bearings to get it right. You are not going to want to press on the bearings, test the fit, pull them off again, then press them again. That'd just mess them up.
If this is a D30 carrier that was already from your current D30 I would test fit it as is with the new gears and make your best guess of any shimming you'll have to do, if any. You might even be able to put some shims on the outside of the bearings for the test fitting only. Then pull the old bearings and if you're lucky put back on the same shims or make the adjustments. And you don't really care if its totaly right because it's getting swapped. Of course if someone has setup bearings to bring that would be best.

SOLITUDE
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Well the current gears on there are 3.55's.... which is the carrier break.. which is in the 30 right now. Can we just pull the bearings off that carrier and use those as set-up bearings in the 3.73 carrier? Then we can press on the new bearings onto the 3.73 carrier after we get it right.

Thanks for the info Pearce.

Sudz
07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
You also will probably need some sort of a press for the carrier bearings.

don't forget, crawford has a shop at the campground - me and the gang used it the last time we were there

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/photopost/data/500/28100_5111-med.JPG

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/photopost/data/500/28100_5116-med.JPG

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/photopost/data/500/28100_5120-med.JPG

SOLITUDE
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I was just thinking the same thing.... I was checking out crawford's site. Do they charge to use the shop? And are we going to be able to use it around 10pm on Friday night?

northgazj
07-26-2007, 03:06 PM
You should contact Crawford's, they do have "quiet hours" and the shop may not be available then.

Pearce
07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Well the current gears on there are 3.55's.... which is the carrier break.. which is in the 30 right now. Can we just pull the bearings off that carrier and use those as set-up bearings in the 3.73 carrier? Then we can press on the new bearings onto the 3.73 carrier after we get it right.

Thanks for the info Pearce.

Well, you could but they are a really tight fit. If you don't have a proper bearing puller then they wont come out clean. Maybe Crawfords has one.
Set up bearings are bearings that have their centers honed out a little so they slide right onto the carrier with no pressing needed. That way you throw on your shims slide on the bearings, test fit then take off the setup bearings and press on the real ones, done. Crawfords may even have setup bearings for you to use.
Also last time I was in his shop there was an hourly rate.

SOLITUDE
08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I called Crawford's. They said that the shop will be closed at 6pm... I won't be there till about 9pm friday night. Soooo...

I need someone to bring a:
Bearing Puller
Socket for outer axle shafts
Socket for pinion yoke
Shim set

I just went and bought $100 worth of new bearings for the new carrier. We'll have to pull the bearings off the old carrier to use as set-up bearings. I also picked up some Gear oil and gear marking compound.

Anything else? I really appreciate all the help. Thanks guys. There's free beer in it for you.

northgazj
08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I've got the wrench for the outer shafts and the socket for the pinion nut, however we just got a call from my wife's family and her grandmother is not doing too well, so I won't know if I'm going until the last minute. These tools stay with my gear, so if I'm there I'll have them.

Rubber Chuck
08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Wes,
The axle nut is a 36 mm...the pinion nut is 1 1/8"
Does the carrier that has the 3:73s have bearings currently? I know you mentioned they were bad??? If they aren't too bad.....take them off and grind the insides out so they just fit snug on the carrier...That's what you use for set-up bearings. Bring an 11/16" wrench and a pry bar to get the carrier in and out while you are checking backlash and pinion depth. Put the box end of the wrench on 1 of the ring gear bolts and turn the carrier until the other end of the wrench hits the top part of the housing,then pry the carrier out. I also recommend a big Rubber Mallet for installing the carrier.....it should fit snug enough where it will need a little positive re-enforcement to get it to go in.

SOLITUDE
08-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Thanks I'll go to Sears tomorrow and pick up some of those giant sockets. 36mm and 1-1/8". I'll have to get an 11/16" too. Got the pry bar.

The deal is. I just bought new bearings to go on the carrier with 3.73's. Currently that carrier has NO bearings on it. The pinion does though. The 3.55 carrier on the other hand, does (Because it is installed in my D30).

When I get there friday night... I'm pulling the currently installed 3.55 carrier and ring and pinion out and removing those bearings. I need something to grind them out while I'm there to use those as set-up bearings.

If northgazj doesn't show I won't have any shim's either. There's no way I can get anyplace to mail me the $15 shim set before friday morning. I've already looked.

I'll pray for her grandmother, and you need to be there or I'll be stuck running the trails in 2wd.

I've just spent the last 2 days trying to source a conversion U-joint:
1.063 x 3.219
1.063 x 3.622

I'm taking my ZJ into the shop tomorrow to get a front end alignment, new front driveshaft U-joints, and the brakes bled. And I'm praying they can order that joint, get it in, install it, and hand me back the keys by the end of the work day. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime... I'm running a U-joint on the rear driveshaft that is about 1/2" too small for the yoke, I get lots of vibration only going neighborhood speeds.

I've been to Napa about 10x in the last two days, this is getting old. I just want my ZJ done with for GSSE. I keep telling myself to just get it runnin and wheel the piss out of it there. When I get back it's going up on jackstands for a huge build-up... Out with the old... In with the new.

Sorry for ranting.....[/rant]

ATL ZJ
08-02-2007, 01:04 AM
NAPA is king in my book, but Advance has been able to work wonders matching up bastard joints for me. Just tell them to look under the counter- they have a book and a caliper. Just have to be lucky enough to get the guy willing to take the time and put the effort in.

Pearce
08-02-2007, 09:43 AM
All I can say is good luck. LOL Don't forget you will need a press to put on the new bearings. So when the shop opens up in the morning you can use it. But we also need to keep to our time schedule if we are going to get off the trails at a decent time. And if someone brings a bearing puller you can use the old shims hopefully. Not sure what you can use to grind out the old bearings. Oh wait, maybe a dremmel with a grinding stone on it. Hope someone has a bearing puller.

Lastly you don't need to pull the shafts from the hub by trying to take off the hub nut. It's easier to take off the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle. Particularly if you've never had the hub nuts off before. That way you pull the hub with the shafts = same result. Unless you are swaping shafts too.

DJJordache
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I've just spent the last 2 days trying to source a conversion U-joint:
1.063 x 3.219
1.063 x 3.622

are you talking about a 1310 to 1330 conversion U-joint?
if so then try these part numbers
Neapco: 1-0134hd
Spicer: Dan5134x or 5-134x
Advanced: 1-0134
Precision number is 353

SOLITUDE
08-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh wait, maybe a dremmel with a grinding stone on it. Hope someone has a bearing puller.

Lastly you don't need to pull the shafts from the hub by trying to take off the hub nut. It's easier to take off the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle. Particularly if you've never had the hub nuts off before. That way you pull the hub with the shafts = same result. Unless you are swaping shafts too.Well, hopefully I can find a dremmel laying around somewhere. I hope someone has a bearing puller.... I'm tired of giving all my money to the guys at Napa. The shafts are relatively new, but, pulling off the hubs is a much easier process, good thinking, thanks.
are you talking about a 1310 to 1330 conversion U-joint?Yeah, thanks, I found Neapco's 2005 universal joint catalog listed online last night, printed out the sheet w/ part numbers and sizes and handed that to the shop this morning. I'll send over those part numbers as well. Thanks.

SOLITUDE
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
This is the joint I need:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NEP&MfrPartNumber=10134

northgazj
08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Solitude, I will be there! Shims and pinion socket are covered.

SOLITUDE
08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
saweet.... see you there tomorrow night. Bring your flashies.