PDA

View Full Version : metal working boots

violatedppl
07-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Getting into the trade, and I am looking for a good pair of boots, Price really doesnt matter to me, as long as they are comfortable and will protect my feet. Just wondering what your boot of choice is?

KDUB
07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I've worn Redwing for years. IMO you can't go wrong with 'em. I worked as a pipefitter for years and they held up well to that type of work. Most important is that they should feel comfortable when you put them on, no break in period needed.

DJJordache
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not in metal working but am around heavy construction machinery often and I love my Doc Martins (the industrial line) not the normal light duty boots, very comfy to wear daily, steel toe, and resistant soles.

mudforblood
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm a sprinkler fitter that was on concrete floors all day and a lot of walking. I sit in a office now but still like Danner boots. I always had knee and lower back pain until I threw down the extra cash for Danner's. Only the USA made ones are worth it. They have some import line that is similar to Walmart boots, junk. They are more comfortable than any other shoe or hiking boot I can find.

http://www.danner.com/home.do

hkszx2
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I do commercial drywall hanging and metal framing and wear Bates. They are the same kind as the police and swat teams wear.

CurtP
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I wore Bates steel toed flight deck boots when I was in the Navy. Not the most comfortable, but those fuckers would take a beating and last a long time. However, I don't see the ones I used to get (100% leather, no nylon is allowed on your shoes when you're aboard a ship).

You may want to check an Army/Navy surplus store for a pair of steel toed flight deck boots. I'd avoid the Navy chukkas.

ILikeMud
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I just go and get some CSA green patch boots and work pays for them.
They ones I've got now are a bit hard on the feet after 8 hrs.

EMTimZJ
07-13-2007, 12:37 AM
I have been very happy with my Bates boots. I have the fiberglass safety toe model, but if you are working inside and around heavy movable objects go for steel toe.

The big advantage with the fiberglass safety toe is warmth outside in the winter... something I have to consider and account for. (SAR) Steel toe draws too much body heat... however I am at a lower risk of having a large heavy object falling on my toe while working the woods.

-Tim

LouisianaZJ
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
I just got some Doc Martin Industrial Boots, they are nice (about $100). Used to have steel toe timberland's, they were OK

violatedppl
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM
got a pair of wolverine dura shocks, steel toe, electrical protection. Most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. Ive had 7 surgeries and have had arthruitis(sp) in both ancles since 16, and since I bought these boots my feet dont hurt at all. I wish I found these 5 years ago.

Larg aeGCY
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Boots...Yes...Great...

But with 10 minutes of grinding sparks flying in any and all directions... And don't forget that the spray of sparks from a cutter doesn't mean shards aren't going the other way too, though not very visibly.

I want to find a decent suit, neck to toe that will repel those... Maybe even washable? And easy to remove. As 10 minutes of grinding here or there in the middle of hours of assembly or whatnot tends to suggest versitility.

Of course sometimes I just have at it and let them fly... Though that isn't very smart, considering. And holding my breath is one thing... But I'm not about to spend 1 G on a compressor / mask / 50 ft setup. Though you hardcore welders probably should.

naturalbornmudder
04-30-2008, 11:17 PM
AF munitions guy. I wear Bates all day. Great forcomfortability, too soft of sole for metal work. For the heavy stuff we do, I roll in Danner or Belleville. Not comfy but tougher than government TP.

nate
05-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I have been looking for a pair of slip on or zip up steel toes for a while now.

I had a 40lb ball mount fall off a shelf and go toward my toe (the one I exploded a few years back from an axle falling on it) and I kicked back so hard I about did a flip. My ass no shit puckered in my undies.

I haven't found a boot yet that I really could say was comfortable like an old pair of sneakers, though the military doesn't get too fancy with boots either.

Ted_Z
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Redwings get my wote. Your local store will clean and oil them for life free. Also free laces if you ever break one. I've got a pair of non-steel toe for hiking/snow and a pair of steels for the gas fields.

nate
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Life being about 2-3 years max? My Dad has been wearing Redwings for close to 30 years and that's about how long he gets out a pair.

Ted_Z
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Well I've had my oldest pair for around 10 years, but I don't wear them every day. You can also resole them to get more life out of them.

tywilson88
05-01-2008, 12:05 PM
whatever you get, make sure it is a flat sole... it is better for your back...

by the way, i like redwing boots

ZJ TINS
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
The old boys around here vote red wing, especially with the meta tarsal protection. For added comfort I really like the Dr. Scholls Gells inserts, they really add comfort to any shoe or boot.

CurtP
05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Who's the fucking retard who brought back this old-assed thread? Oh...nevermind.